Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
LDR4

Default Navigation Hazzard in the Weirs Channel

Is anyone else wondering why something has not been done already about the tree that hangs over the Weirs Channel right in front of the Channel Cottages (across from Thurstons)?
I have a Fly Bridge style boat and have been forced into the branches on more than one occasion by someone coming down the middle of the channel.
I have called the marine patrol twice now and still nothing has been done.
Maybe if more people call about it, it will be removed.
LDR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Yankee

Default maybe your boat is too big--that thought crossed you mind? NOT!

So you care not that that tree is somones' private property? I take it that your attitude is dammit I don't live here but I demand that tree must go! I'm succesful, make alot of money, I'm entitled! What's next, the bridge needs to be raised because ones' boat won't fit undreneanth?

Sorry, one can't simply demand that a tree be cut/trimmed because you deem it neccessary. Your arrogance is astounding!

The good folks at NHMP are still probaby laughing at your phone calls.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

My guess as to the reason that not much has been done about this is that there are issue such as the Shoreline protection Act, as well as the cost of taking down the branches that come into play.... top onto that, there may be an issue that if the tree is pruned to much have to be pruned and thus the tree needs to come all the way down.

Don't assume that nothing has been / or is being done to help with the situation it just may not be as straight forward as we would like it to be.

Additionally, you contacting the Marine Patrol is the first step... the Marine Patrol, then needs to get in contact with the property owner if they feel you have a valid point. The home owner needs to decided what they can do to help with in there means....That alone can take a month... then if the owner can't do anything do to financial constraints... well then there another can of worms that has to be opened and gone down.....
Old 08-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
NoRegrets

LDR4 is correct. This new hazard is a Birch tree that has started it's decent to a horizontal position. It is now leaning over the channel. Most small boats would not be inconvenienced. Boats with 10 foot antenna's forced to the side will have their antenna's hit the tree. This is something that happened a few weeks ago. I am not sure if it is the root system is rotting or the ground is giving way.

Maybe this weeks rain will finish the job.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,152 Times in 899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
So you care not that that tree is somones' private property? I take it that your attitude is dammit I don't live here but I demand that tree must go! I'm succesful, make alot of money, I'm entitled! What's next, the bridge needs to be raised because ones' boat won't fit undreneanth?

Sorry, one can't simply demand that a tree be cut/trimmed because you deem it neccessary. Your arrogance is astounding!

You are totally wrong Mr. Yankee. If the tree presents a hazard to navigation then it is a legitimate complaint. The Marine Patrol can decide. I am guessing you have not seen the tree in question, just want to express your opinion. Anyone's property whether it is a tree, dock, float, mooring, or something else is subject to safety regulations. In an effort to keep the lake safe we should welcome a review of anything that may pose a problem.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Scupper (08-25-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
This'nThat

Quote:
I take it that your attitude is dammit I don't live here but I demand that tree must go!

I'm succesful, make alot of money, I'm entitled!

What's next, the bridge needs to be raised because ones' boat won't fit undreneanth?

Your arrogance is astounding!

Wow, what a rant. Just because someone reported a possible navigation hazard?

Maybe you should go get a bigger boat to make you feel better?
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
jrc

Yankee, a little harsh? I think you read a little too much into LDR4's message. I don't see any arrogance, maybe you should re-read his post, or I should.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
Belmont Resident

Default I never noticed it

I was out this Saturday and never noticed it.
That is it we need a new law making it illegal to have a boat in the channel that will not fit under that tree. That is the only politically correct way to rectify this hazardous situation.
Jim if that Sea ray wasn’t 3 stories high you wouldn’t Regret having a problem.

Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR4 View Post
Is anyone else wondering why something has not been done already about the tree that hangs over the Weirs Channel right in front of the Channel Cottages (across from Thurstons)?
I have a Fly Bridge style boat and have been forced into the branches on more than one occasion by someone coming down the middle of the channel.
I have called the marine patrol twice now and still nothing has been done.
Maybe if more people call about it, it will be removed.
What is the purpose of a Fly Bridge style boat on the lake. Lookin for TUNA..?? Sorry, I just couldn't resist......just being a smartalick...... NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 08-25-2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Sp
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
Yankee

I have seen it Mr. TiltonBB, and it is not a hazard to navigation to 99% of the boats that travel through the channel. I keep my boat down in Lakeport and I go through the Weirs every time that I take my boat out and back in.

To force the landowner to take down a tree for such a small number of craft IMO is ludicrous.

Start a petition, get the local landowners and citizens to agree with your plight to force the landowner to eliminate this then legally navigation hazard.

To call up the NHMP and ask for that tree to be removed in this instance is, again, laughable.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
bobio

Yankee are you serious? That was one of the most arrogant posts I have read. LDR4 has every right to ask the question. Entitlement has nothing to do with it.
bobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:02 AM   #12
Puck

I'm going to guess that Channel Cottages are rental units, possibly with an offsite owner. If they are not local boaters they might not recognize the issue. Has anyone called Channel Cottages to politely ask if they might be willing to take care of this tree?
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:59 AM   #13
NoRegrets

The tree is question is a Birch and it has moved significantly this year. I believe it will correct itself as it continues to fall. I hope it does not hit anyone.

The benefits to a flybridge boat are many. More living / storage room below, isolation from the engines, personal preference, and visability to name a few. Did I mention personal preference? This is the best reason of all.

Hi BR! I noticed the tree in the early morning as there were no curvatious sights to watch in their sun or swim atire. Sometimes it is hard to see the forest through the trees (or other tantilizing sights).
Old 08-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #14
jmen24

The only thing the owner of that property is going to have to deal with is a stump.

Shore Land Protection has nothing on a tree that presents a hazard to the owners or someone else property. You don't need to wait for a permit.

Even if this was your next door neighbors tree, on their land at the roots and it was leaning over the property line toward your house or outbuilding. You can cut that tree down as is presents a hazard to your property. You do not even need to ask your neighbor first, that would not make for a good relationship with that person, but you could do it that way.

The reason it is taking so long is that the state is involved and they more than likely trying to determine the best course to remove it.

Yankee, I agree with most of what you post, but I believe you are reading to deeply into this one.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #15
LDR4

Quote:
So you care not that that tree is somones' private property? I take it that your attitude is dammit I don't live here but I demand that tree must go! I'm successful, make alot of money, I'm entitled! What's next, the bridge needs to be raised because ones' boat won't fit underneanth?

Sorry, one can't simply demand that a tree be cut/trimmed because you deem it necessary. Your arrogance is astounding!

The good folks at NHMP are still probably laughing at your phone calls.
Yankee- Are you serious???

Yes that is the point of my post- to vent about how I want to cut up other people's trees and ruin their property!!

Have you even seen the tree I am talking about??

It hangs out OVER the channel at a 20-30 degree angle! It obviously has lost it's root structure and is becoming up rooted.

So you assume that because I have a "fly bridge" type of boat that I am sucessfull and make a lot of money?? You are the arrogant one!

Before you start calling people arrogant, get all the facts you idiot!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #16
Jonas Pilot

"The Issues Forum will not be moderated and moderation is being removed from the boating forum. However, this does not mean that the forum rules are suspended in this areas. Posters who resort to personal attacks, profanity and other behavior deemed unacceptable by the moderator may have their posting privileges restricted."

Last edited by Jonas Pilot; 08-25-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #17
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,152 Times in 899 Posts
Default Great Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
I'm going to guess that Channel Cottages are rental units, possibly with an offsite owner. If they are not local boaters they might not recognize the issue. Has anyone called Channel Cottages to politely ask if they might be willing to take care of this tree?
The owners of Channel Cottages and their family live in the house on the property and are there, working, every day. They keep their property in great condition and have made many improvements in the last 10 years. It looks much more neat and well kept since the present owner bought it.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
valhala

Default Tree in Weirs Channel

In LDR4's defense....
We went through the channel last Saturday in a bow rider and noticed the tree in question. Our thoughts were that the tree looked like it was ready to fall, and we hoped no one would be injured if that were to happen.
Not looking to mess with anyone's property, just our thoughts as we went through the channel.
valhala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #19
Puck

Good to know TiltonBB. Then I guess there is no reason someone couldn't attempt to politely ask them about the tree.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #20
SIKSUKR

Default I wouldn't want Dons job. To the penalty box

Or maybe I would.There are some members here that need a timeout,sit-in-the-corner,head-on-the-desk-time.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #21
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR4 View Post
So you assume that because I have a "fly bridge" type of boat that I am sucessfull and make a lot of money??
I like to see big boats on the lake (mine is not so big at all). One thing about people who can afford the expensive boats -- they provide jobs for lots of people. Boat builders. Marinas. Gas stations. Besides, they look good (the boats, that is).

And boy -- do we need jobs, around here and everywhere!
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #22
Scupper

Default Not new...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
LDR4 is correct. This new hazard is a Birch tree that has started it's decent to a horizontal position. It is now leaning over the channel. Most small boats would not be inconvenienced. Boats with 10 foot antenna's forced to the side will have their antenna's hit the tree. This is something that happened a few weeks ago. I am not sure if it is the root system is rotting or the ground is giving way.

Maybe this weeks rain will finish the job.
Grew up on the lake, it's been like that for a few years. How long have you owned your boat? Trees probably been there longer
Scupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #23
trfour

Post ///// Yup, Looking At It From The Bridge.../////

That one was missing a boat shoe! ...
Been there since I can remember, though must be more scary, these days!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:02 AM   #24
NoRegrets

I have been going through the channel with my boat for 11 seasons and last month the tree was much lower than the beginning of the season. My marine radio antenna for the first time ever brushed the tree. I have a cruiser with a radar arch and the antenna is mounted half way up the side of the arch.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (08-26-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #25
GTO

Default Omg.....

I was going to go into Paugus Bay this weekend on my Seadoo but I am having second thoughts now. I think going in would not be a problem but coming back out.....I'd hate to be trapped there. My best bet this weekend is to probably to go into Wolfboro and go under the Back Bay Bridge and enjoy the day there
Old 08-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #26
caloway

Default Seriously?

I could take that tree down and piece it in under 5 minutes. What is it, 10 inches around? Maybe? Perhaps somebody who cares should just ask them to drop it.
caloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #27
SIKSUKR

Is that a recent photo Terry?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #28
AC2717

That cannot be a recent photo now, as now you are starting to have to go around it if you are more than like 7-8 feet above the water
Old 08-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #29
NoRegrets

TRFour - Great photo. The cruiser is my boat and the sedan bridge behind has not been out on the lake for about 5 years. What a small world we live in. It is incredible the things you find on the internet....
The Following User Says Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post:
trfour (08-26-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #30
brk-lnt

Quote:
TRFour - Great photo. The cruiser is my boat and the sedan bridge behind has not been out on the lake for about 5 years. What a small world we live in. It is incredible the things you find on the internet....
Hang up and drive! (j/k).
Old 08-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #31
NoRegrets

Nice catch. I do not take my phone on the boat. The picture was taken in myu youth!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:09 AM   #32
Belmont Resident

Default Seriously.

For those who do not know about the regulations regarding the shoreline, it would literally take an act of God to take that tree down.
The paperwork and fee’s involved in doing so are way more than you can imagine.
And the fine for doing so without permission I’ve heard is pretty steep itself.
You can blame that on all the people who decide to come up to our beautiful state, buy land then proceed to cut every living thing down, plant football size lawns then let all the lawn chemicals leech into the lake.
To each their own but I honestly think the well manicured lots with trees look much more attractive and make the homes look more attractive than those that do not.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:53 AM   #33
Lakegeezer

Default From the regs...

Title 483-B9 section V B 2 C
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...-B/483-B-9.htm

(C) Dead, diseased, or unsafe, trees, limbs, saplings, or shrubs that pose a hazard to structures or have the potential to cause personal injury may be removed regardless of any requirements that pertain to the natural woodland buffer under this chapter. Such exemptions shall not be used to contravene the intent of the law.

If the tree is falling or unsafe, it can be removed without a permit. The owner should take pictures first, just in case there are questions afterwards. The picture in this thread, compared with a current picture, should be enough. The stump must be left in the ground to control erosion.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #34
Winnipesaukee

OP, I believe your boat has a feature that comes standard. Neutral. That, patience, and a steering wheel will relieve you of this problem you are having with that tree. End of thread.

But I'll be on the lake today. Let me bring a chainsaw and see if I can do some water landscaping...
Old 08-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #35
camp guy

Default Hazzardous tree

Question: If the tree fell into the water during the dark of night and nobody saw it, would it make waves ?
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #36
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Question: If the tree fell into the water during the dark of night and nobody saw it, would it make waves ?
i think the more appropriate question would be, does it make a wake in a no wake zone and if so, can MP give it a ticket?
Old 08-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #37
trfour

Smile Photo Taken By An Old Cameraman Too!

Quote:
Nice catch. I do not take my phone on the boat. The picture was taken in myu youth!
' At least the tree was young! '

I caught it in a few photos that I took from the Weirs Bridge over a 'Fourth of July weekend back in 2004. Taking an interest in this thread, I thought, " Is it really possible that this tree is still there, in a way too? "

It must be taking it's fair share away from the middle of the channel these days!

At least I pictured it though!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 08-30-2010, 06:24 AM   #38
NoRegrets

I passed by the tree Saturday and the birch tree root is starting to break through the ground. Nature is going to run its course and I do not think a permit will be required to remove it. Mother nature trumps fed, state, and local laws.

Traffic was not bad and the tree doesn't block the entire channel. I think 2 boats will still be able to pass even if the tree was in the water.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #39
LDR4

Default Recent photo

Took this photo on Sat. As you can see it is forcing boats into the middle of the channel whic is making an already congested area even more so.

Name:  DSC00503 - Copy.JPG
Views: 1518
Size:  178.2 KB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LDR4 For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (08-30-2010), NoRegrets (08-30-2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #40
Coastal Laker

Default Winter will take care of it

I don't expect anything will be done with that tree before winter. I'd bet $5 (since that's as adventurous as I get gambling) that a few ice storms will have that tree down before next spring. Problem solved. It will have to be moved.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #41
Rickeei

Default What if...

That tree decided to fall in the very early morning and the work to remove it had to be done when the first boat who gets caught. That seems like a good reason to remove it ahead of time. Otherwise it is just a nuisance waiting to happen. Again, common sense is not common.
Rickeei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #42
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeei View Post
That tree decided to fall in the very early morning and the work to remove it had to be done when the first boat who gets caught. That seems like a good reason to remove it ahead of time. Otherwise it is just a nuisance waiting to happen. Again, common sense is not common.
Removing the tree now will likely leave more of its roots in the ground, a better solution than having the roots ripped out by the falling tree. This will help significantly with minimizing run off erosion and make the banking more stable once the tree is gone.

Sometimes it is best to remove a tree, and I feel this is one of those cases. It should require some sort of contact with the CSPA folks before it is cut, to be on the safe side.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #43
mishelmeis

i'm too new to have an opinion about the trees or the arrogance, BUT

OH, MY, GOSH, that is a crowded channel! i don't want to go anywhere near that!!!! i could do an awful lot of damage in a short period of time!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:48 PM   #44
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishelmeis View Post

OH, MY, GOSH, that is a crowded channel! i don't want to go anywhere near that!!!! i could do an awful lot of damage in a short period of time!
We have an App for that!
It's called Boating Lessons!

Terry

Old 08-31-2010, 07:07 AM   #45
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishelmeis View Post

Haha, that is not even crowded lol
Old 08-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #46
Onshore

If the owners were so inclined, the Shoreland Protection Act would allow the removal of that tree. There is no paperwork required, although keeping photos of the tree and the stump if it is uprooting for one's personal records is highly recommended. There would on the otherhand be Wetlands permitting required to repair any damage to the bank that may occur if the tree were to go down pulling the roots and stump out in the process. It is of course entirely the owner's perogative.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 PM   #47
RI Swamp Yankee

Maybe they could put a rope or line around the tree near the middle and an anchor on land and pull it upright.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:56 AM   #48
ApS

Post State Tree, The Birch...

That might work with a birch, as it seems all they do is fall down.

(Looking at the latest photo, it looks like a bunch of "brother" birches are headed towards the channel, as well.)

But I once tried to return a wind-blown tree to vertical from about only 10 degrees "off". (AAway from the house). I used a cable-winch of 4000 pound capacity, tightening it only one click twice a week. That "come-a-long" was at its maximum capacity, as each time, I could barely move the lever!

I later soaked the earth around it, but still never succeeded in gaining more than a few degrees—after six months of trying!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #49
SIKSUKR

Default I just got a call

Earl called and said he would be by sometime Friday night to take that tree down.
Gatto Nero (09-02-2010), Meredith lady (09-01-2010)
Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #50
IslandRadio

Wow! I don't see any question at all about it - that tree is definitely a hazzard. Just surprised it went on as long as it did. That last picture really captures the whole scene - thanks for posting it!

Regards,

Steve
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #51
Island Girl

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Earl called and said he would be by sometime Friday night to take that tree down.
I put my money on that!!!!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote