Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 06:56 AM   #1
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Updates from Meredith Sno-Streakers Snowmobile Club

Below you will find trail comments from the Sno-Streakers web site. The Sno-Streakers is a snowmobile club located in Meredith. This club is one of the snowmobile clubs that you can join when registering your sled to receive a $30 discount off your registration fees. This club as most are made up of volunteers. I had written to the club asking if they could post more trail condition updates and received a email back from them that they have limited resources etc. I would love to see if folks could continue updating this tread regarding trail conditions and other club activities. It's up to us to keep others informed. For those of you that are fortunate enough to live there and sled whenever you like keep us posted of what the trails are looking like. I would love to take a trip up to do some sledding although if the trails are in rough shape then I can tackle the "Honey to do list" instead!!

Let try and keep this going!! Thanks in advance for your help!!

"Sno-Streakers Trail Report"
1-17-08 Trails are open - grooming continues. We got a lot of snow in Dec. then had a bad warm and rain stretch. The results are about one foot of frozen snow and ice base with a few inches of powder on top of it. Open puddles and water bars are still present from the big melt and some of the lakes are still not safe. With the solid base we have and the promise of cold and some snow in the forcast - things are looking good.
1-20-08 Just got in and the riding is very good - crossed paths with Hank and Patti Grooming in the Tucker last evening and I would like to say thank you from all our active riders - your time is most appreciated. COLD weather for the last couple days has helped close up puddles and brooks. The big lakes are still inconsistant in ice thickness because of previous melt run off. Caution On the RR tracks, the Rt. 3 bridge by the old Harley shop is a construction site with about 100 feet of crushed stone on the tracks under the bridge.
1-21-08 Just a word from speaking with people out on the trails - Some of our woods trails are narrow and terrain sometimes limits "down the path" visability. I just want to remind our "sport" riders that there are many family and beginner riders enjoying our sport on these trails - so please slow down, don't over-drive your down the path visability on these narrow trails. Some riders may not have the reflexes or experience to react well to fast in-coming traffic................. THANK YOU!

Last edited by Old Hubbard Rd; 01-29-2008 at 06:39 AM. Reason: needed to add a line
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
hilltopper

I'm bringing my sled back from VT on Saturday and will probably go out and explore on Sunday. Trail 15 by my house was groomed either yesterday or 2 days ago. Sleds appear to be crossing Waukewan which I would need to cross to access the RR bed (trail 8). If I end up exploring on Sunday I'll post how it went.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Hilltopper

Hilltopper, If you get the chance cross Waukewan which I think should be safe and head up the rails toward Plymouth. You could continue to Plymouth or take a left off the rail bed and head to Bridgewater. A couple weeks ago those trails were insanely good. Have a ball and hope for snow! I have guests coming up this weekend that want to ski so I may do that on Sat and sneak out on Sunday to sled!!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 1/25/08 update

1-25-08 Corridor 15 from Lake Waukewan over the hill to Meredith Ford is in pretty bad shape. The big melt earlier this month puddled and washed it out badly. Please try to stay on the trail as much as possible to avoid landowner disturbance. I am going to try to repair some of it this weekend.

The rest of the trails that I have traveled recently are good thanks to the groomers.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:48 AM   #5
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 1/26/08

I need to ask. Where is everybody???? Is it a economy thing or do people think there is not snow on the trails?? I asked several I met on the trails yesterday and I received many "it's a combination".

We headed out Sat 1/26/08 from Spindle Point Meredith via the lake to Rt 3/Rt 25 and onto Corridor 15N. Yes the lake is frozen and there was life on the lake. It looks safe although use your common sense. We headed up Corridor 15N and there was ample coverage on the trails with a couple bare spots here and there but over all these clubs and grooming are really doing a incredible job and packing this snow down and even with the lack of recent snow the trails are in VERY GOOD condition!! This changing over of the State NH allowing us a discount if we joined a local club is really working. These funds have really helped the local clubs in organizing and getting the proper equipment to keep the trails flat and packed. Folks that have snowmobiled 5 to 10 years ago will see a amazing change in snowmobiling in the Lake Region!! We continued our fun up to the Castle in Clouds heading down the back side of the Castle toward the old Mt Whittier on Rt 25 onto the incredible rail road bed on Rt 16 headed toward Wakefied and Pine River (7 Lakes Region) then looped toward corridor 15 and ended back at the Castle parking area then back toward Meredith to have a bite to eat at "The Mug". What a great place The Mug is!! After riding for 115 miles it almost appeared as a mirage. We really enjoyed our dinner. It was the only eating and beverages we had stopped for all day. That was the only complaint I had with my sledding partner. I kept hinting at having a severe thirst although it appeared to fall on deaf ears. Of the 115 miles we logged about 1-2 miles of riding was probably crappy. Over all it was the best day of riding of my life!! Bottom line is you folks need to get out there and enjoy this. We ran into about 40 sleds out on the trails all day. That's crazy. For a Saturday there should have been hundreds out there. The conditions are much better than you would think. We could use a good snow dumping. Let's keep the economy going. Let's do our part. Get out there and enjoy!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
secondcurve

Old Hubbard Road:

Thanks for the update. My brother was out yesterday and he said much the same thing as you have. If we get another good storm soon conditions will be beyond excellent. Ride safely.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
ACutAbove

Old Hubbard, are you involved in the Sno-streakers?
I am looking for some info on the trail to meredith from holderness. I went down it last weekend about 1/2 way and it was not very good. What I am looking for is info on improving this trail. I have mentioned it a few of my riding friends and they are willing to do some work to improve it if we can. weather it is a new trail cut in (with land owner permission) of course. Or just improving the existing on.
Any info you might be able to provide would help,
I am also going to try and get a hold og the Holderness club and see what they have to say.
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Holderness Trail

I am a club member of Sno-Streakers. I had recently written to Sno-Streakers about the lack of trail updates at their site and they suggested I get involved in some way to improve this as they are quite busy and it's all volunteer based. The best way for me to help was to get a blog/chat started on Winni.com . Sue Magnuson is a head person at Sno-Streakers as well as Ben Quinn. They really do not want a flood of emails, unless that is your willing to volunteer/help. Therefore feel free to contact them with volunteer help at suemagnuson@metrocast.net or Ben at bquinn@metrocast.net

The trail coming from Little Squam to The Mug side of Meredith is aweful and always has been. I'm not sure if there is a Holderness club. I think the Squam club sort of handles that part. I'm not sure. I always avoid that trail.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
ACutAbove

The trail coming from Little Squam to The Mug side of Meredith is aweful and always has been. I'm not sure if there is a Holderness club. I think the Squam club sort of handles that part. I'm not sure. I always avoid that trail.[/QUOTE]

This is the trail I would like to do some work on. It is th equickest way to get from here to there with out going up to the tracks and comming back down by waukewan. So I am hopeing that Some people and the 2 clubs might want to do something about it. Not like it is going to get fixed overnite but I think alot of people would benefit from this trail being fixed up. A majority of the trail is in Center Harbor so I dont know if either of the clubs even care about that portion of it anyways.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 1/27/08

Trail update:
We received about 1" to 2" of fresh new snow today. Just got back from a nice 70+ mile ride. Cheeks are still red and defrosting. We headed out of Spindle Point and headed to rail road bed near Grouse Point. In the past you could get off/on the lake and on the rail bed at Grouse Point. It appears that Grouse Point has not provided a access. I had to go closer to the Weirs to get on/off. At Lake Waukewan from the tracks we headed left toward New Hampton/Laconia. We decided to head toward New Hampton. The trail was pretty good till we arrived in New Hampton by Rossi's Italian Ristorante. From there it was as my snowmobile buddy said "old school" trails. He calls the pre groomer trails "old school". Now that the clubs have groomers the trails are gorgeous and "new school"!! These trails were crappy till we arrived at Bridgewater where the trails were really nice. Not perfect but nice. All trails were a bit bumpy. I saw no groomers today and no trails appeared recently groomed. We headed from Bridgewater to Rumney then to Plymouth then down the tracks back to Meredith. At least today my riding buddy let me stop at Beittermans Deli for a quick drink. That's it for this weekend. Hope others contribute to this forum!! Saw about 25 people out sledding today.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
Trail update:
At least today my riding buddy let me stop at Beittermans Deli for a quick drink. .
I think that's the first bar we passed today!
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #12
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 1/27/08 from Ben @ Sno-Streakers

1-27-08 Really good riding this weekend - Most of the brooks are frozen over again and groomers have filled in most of the washouts. We got about two inches of powder today. The trail running from 104 to Laconia to trail 303 is in great shape. The prison loop, "sled dog" loop and South Down Shores trails are all what we have been waiting for- Get off the computer and go ride!!!! See you out there
Old 01-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #13
ACutAbove

I rode from White Oak pond and picked up the trail on the back side and headed north thru Holderness into Ashland and onto the tracks, then south towards Waukewan lake then back onto the tracks up to almost the Weirs to get on the big lake. Down to Meredith to get gas then up to the trail behind The Mug ( open water bar on this trail) I picked up another rider up that way and we made our way over to Red Hill where we turned around and headed bak over by the Muh to drop that person off. I then continued north up into Holderness, this trail was alot beeter this week than last when I helped pull a guy out of a open mud puddle. I thik I did about 50 miles or so ALL GOOD!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #14
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Swamp

A couple weeks ago we tried coming from Little Squam thru Holderness headed to the Mug and got stuck in that damb swamp. It S--ked!! I said that was the last time I would ever go that way. Keep me posted. I may change my thoughts if I get different reports.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #15
ITD

How about Squam, is it frozen, I want to ride from Center harbor to Plymouth and beyond...
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
hilltopper

I went out on Sunday exploring around the house in Meredith. Was feeling pretty beat from sledding in northern VT on Saturday so didn't intend on putting on a lot of miles.

Went 15 north into Center Harbor. Trails were decent. I don't think they had been groomed Saturday night. Fairly thin in spots but these spots would certainly be harder to notice after a fresh groom. Is there a way to get onto the ice in Center Harbor from trail 15? I remember the intersection where the trail left the powerlines, but there was no signage telling me where I'd end up if I stayed on the powerlines.

Turned around before I got to Lake K and headed south on 15. Wanted to find how to get onto Meredith Bay and wanted to find out how to get to Waukewan. I found both, but there are a ton of turns between Keyser Road and Waukewan and none of the intersections are marked so it was more of an adventure than I thoguht it would be. I would have no problem helping out the club with signage but I don't know where the heck I am yet. Like you said OHR, the stretch between Meredith Ford and Waukewan was not good. If you hop on Meredith Bay, what's the first spot you can hop off and onto the railroad tracks to avoid this section for now?

Looking forward to getting out again and putting on more miles. Hopefully this little warmup (been hearing the "R" word) won't do too much damage.

FYI... My buddy is a Pepsi dealer in northern VT and all the stores he stops at are asking the same thing..."Where the heck is everybody?". If I had to guess I would say it's more money than people thinking there's no snow. Sure we had a warmup, be we also had the snowiest December on record.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #17
ACutAbove

Quote:
A couple weeks ago we tried coming from Little Squam thru Holderness headed to the Mug and got stuck in that damb swamp. It S--ked!! I said that was the last time I would ever go that way. Keep me posted. I may change my thoughts if I get different reports.

I went thru there yesterday about 330ish and the trail wasnt to bad. Everything was passable. I am hopeing it stays that way for a while as it is the quickest way south for me , rather than going all the way up to ashland to get on the tracks just to go south.

Squam and little squam is frozen. I have ridden bothof those in the last week.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #18
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACutAbove View Post

Thank you.....
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #19
boat_guy64

Smile Trails are great

This weekend, I rode the prison loop, south downs and up to Plymouth. A few minor detours north of Ashland but they are all well marked as easy to get around. Trails are awesome. I'm new to riding here and I can't believe how much fun it is. Thanks to all the groomers and the volunteers that worked so hard to make this a really fun place to ride. Pray for more snow and cool daytime temps. I'd like to have these conditions for a couple more months. (Then it should go immediately to 80 so we can get out the boats)
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #20
murph

Can anyone give me information about the ice around Center Harbor, Levitt PArk area? planning on going up this weekend for a ride. Also wondering how the trails to North Conway are, and/or the laconia area trails.
murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #21
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Message from Ben @ www.Sno-Streakers.com

Update on volunteers at Sno-Streakers:
Just so you know Sue is a member who volunteered to mail out the membership cards and I built the web site and do trail work but neither of us are in charge or heads of anything at Sno-Streakers. The president is Todd Andrews, the trail master is Hank Denison, the treasurer is Gus Jenkins, and I think the secretary is Patty Denison.
Could you reference "Sno-Streakers Trail Report" when you quote (copy/paste) directly from the site. Maybe that will direct some traffic back to our site so people can use the map features etc. I currently field on average about five E-Mails directly from sno-streakers.com a day during riding season and more before big weekends. Recently I have received many about the ice. Telling people the ice is safe (which I never do) is tricky business - there are drastic differences from lake to lake and around springs and inlets . I do not have much computer time at work so I do most of this at night after work
Thanks,
Ben
Old 01-29-2008, 07:59 AM   #22
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Holderness trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACutAbove View Post
I went thru there yesterday about 330ish and the trail wasnt to bad. Everything was passable. I am hopeing it stays that way for a while as it is the quickest way south for me , rather than going all the way up to ashland to get on the tracks just to go south.

A Cut Above the word "Passable" scares me. We are so spoiled these days with "groomed" trails I would love for that trail to get groomed. I would enjoy starting the morning off at Waukewan and headeing up the tracks to Ashland then left to Bridgewater up to Rumney down to Plymouth over to Holderness and end at the Mug in Meredith. That would be a fun run!!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #23
ACutAbove

Quote:
A Cut Above the word "Passable" scares me. We are so spoiled these days with "groomed" trails I would love for that trail to get groomed. I would enjoy starting the morning off at Waukewan and headeing up the tracks to Ashland then left to Bridgewater up to Rumney down to Plymouth over to Holderness and end at the Mug in Meredith. That would be a fun run!!
I guess that is a bad word to use to sum up a trail. I will say it was alot better than the 1st time I went down it. The mud puddles were frozen over and there was plenty of snow coverage. ,although it is a bit tight in some spots and that is due to it going down into the swamp. If it could be rerouted up out of there it would be a nice trail.
With that being said there is alot of swamp it crosses in sections and I doubt it would ever be able to be groomed all the way thru, unless a small drag was available to pull behind a snowmobile.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #24
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

We hit the Rumney/Baker River trails on monday and the riding was just great. Most trails had been grromed all night on sunday and we were the first ones on some of them.Could have sipped a glass of wine at 30mph.Nice,too,that they groom right up to some of the restaurants.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #25
donmac

I did about 50 miles this morning from Winona, to 104, down to Winnisquam, then across to New Hampton - most the trails are in good shape.

The trail from Meredith to Waukewan was pretty (very) rough the other day.

I agree with comments that the trails from Little Squam, to White Oak, to Meredith are often not up to par with other local trails.

A new landowner on Hawkins Pond has blocked local riders with the connection from Hawkins Pond to the primary trail on East Holderness Rd - I feel sorry for the kids in the area.
donmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #26
Zee

Default Prison Loop?

Boatguy64, could you tell me about the prison loop? Trail numbers if possible.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:07 AM   #27
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
How about Squam, is it frozen, I want to ride from Center harbor to Plymouth and beyond...
I rode from Ossipee to Pittsburg SUnday via Evans Notch trail and back MOnday via Corridor 11, Squam lake and Sandwich. Squam club had d one a great job from Plymouth to the lake and with a quick groom C11 would be good too. Gets real thin north of the bike path in Franconia unitl the base road at twin, thin at the reroute at north end of jefferson notch road to jefferson and good snow north of there.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:49 PM   #28
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 1/30/08 Update from Sno-Streakers.com

1-30-08 Wednesday - Rain and warm temps. The trails were soft so I stayed off them but from my truck it looked like the trails held up well with rails showing, a little, near road intersections. Cold temps. tonight and the possibility of snow and ice pellets on Friday -lets hope for the best.

Check out our weather page:

http://www.sno-streakers.com/weather.html
Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 PM   #29
boat_guy64

Default prison loop

Zee,

Check out this map. http://www.sno-streakers.com/mapsouth.html Off trail 9&15 on Paugus Bay, you will see Wool's trail and how to get to the prison loop. It is towards Winnisquam.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #30
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 2/1/2008 Update from Sno-Streakers.com

2-1-08 We got about 1-1/2 inches of ice pellets "sugar snow" this afternoon. It was dense, smooth and fast. The last hour of the night switched to heavy rain and seat slushies for all.

Radar looks like more rain

http://www.sno-streakers.com/weather.html
Old 02-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #31
hilltopper

My brother in law is coming up to try out a new sled. Just took a quick ride down 15 from Keyser Road to Meredith Bay. The trails seem to have held up just fine. Plenty of lube for the liquid-cooled sleds (if my Viper doesn't overheat, nothing liquid cooled will). Meredith Bay was definitely slushly. Wanted to take the lake to Saunders Bay to secure a bobhouse but we will probably end up taking the tracks south to get to Gilford Beach. If we can just get through the next five days, all is good.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #32
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 2/2/08 Update from www.Sno-Streakers.com

2-2-08 Trails were good early this morning softer by early afternoon. Got soaked last night late so we were in back up gear this morning and it was kind of funny looking at our older gear. (Green wool pants and an Army jacket ring a bell) We just got back from about 60 miles locally. Watch out for branches and downed wood from the ice and wind we had last night. We removed dozens this morning but some stuff is still hanging. Coverage is still good, but soft. We need cold and another snow storm, but the riding has been great. The guys grooming locally know when to go out and when not to - we are lucky to have them.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #33
hilltopper

Had a fun local ride Saturday. Saw the boys grooming the section of RR track along Meredith Bay. The Bay was a bit slushy around the edges but for the most part pretty good. Even got to see the Boys in Green hiding behind a bob house working the radar gun (I was only doing ~40 MPH). Very pleasantly surprised considering Friday's weather.

Sunday early afternoon was a different story. The trails were definitely showing the effects of warmth and traffic. The south facing slopes on the powerline in Meredith are not looking good. Once you crest the hill and head down in Center Harbor coverage was much better. Meredith Bay's Saturday slush was Sunday ice...not pleasant.

Hopefully I'll still be able to ride the sled from the house to Center Harbor for the Derby, but looking at this week's temps and weather, I'm making some other plans.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #34
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Trail update 2/5/08 from Sno-Streakers.com

2-5-08 We got about 6 inches of snowman snow last night and there was light rain on top of that today. The 104 swamp was a little slush puddled. The groomers went out before the rain started and the trails are good. Colder temps. at night and a sleet mix coming in the forecast. Good riding continues!!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #35
tpabrad

Thats great to hear! I will be up tomorrow night and ready for a nice day of riding on Thursday. Cant wait to get out in it, and out of this hot florida weather for a change!
tpabrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #36
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Update from Sno-Streaker.com from 2/6/08

2-6-08 It did not cool off as much as forecast and we got rain, on and off all day, heavy at times. The lakes and swamps are slush covered. The trails are soft. We are supposed to get a little more snow tonight if it gets cold enough. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #37
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 2/7/08 Update from Sno-Streakers.com

2-7-08 We got 5 inches of powder last night!! Slush on the lakes is still a concern but the trails have good snow and night temps are supposed to be low.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:23 AM   #38
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Trail update 2/8/08 from Sno-Streakers.com

2-8-08 It's Fishing Derby weekend. Just got in from riding. Snow coverage is good. The lakes, ponds and swamps still have pockets of slush. People seem to be getting through the slush but those tracks get water in them that is not insulated by snow and freezes at night. That will create some odd bumps out there. Also the trees are hanging low on the woods trails
Old 02-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #39
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 2/9/08 Trail update

Winnipesaukee is mushy and difficult to ride on. The Meredith trails are in excellant condition. Moultonboro trails were the worse of all traveled today. The trail from the Irving in Centre Harbor to Castle in the Clouds was real bumpy. Especially from Ambrose cove to Castle. Smaller lakes did not appear to have the mushy problem that Winni had. Get out and enjoy. More snow is coming!! It's snowing now!!
Old 02-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #40
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Thanks for the updates OH...they are very helpful.I was planning a trip to the castle but will choose a new route after your report. Winnisquam also has lots of slush around the shore.Baker River trails were awesome on friday
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:12 AM   #41
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Samian

Samiam
Baker River/Rumney/Plymouth most always has great riding!! Make sure you get over to Bridgewater. Bridgewater has some great trails and grooming!!
Old 02-10-2008, 01:58 AM   #42
tpabrad

Just got back from a pretty nice ride tonight. Went from Wolfeboro to the Castle, since Im just a visitor I dont know the trail names or anything. We caught a groomer in Tuftenboro which made the ride great. Turned around and caught the Wolfeboro groomer finishing up those trails. All in all a great ride. Snow was coming down at times but finally stopped just before we got back to the shack.
tpabrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #43
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Trail update 2/10/08

A group of us headed out today. We started out at the railroad tracks at Lake Waukewan. We found the tracks to be real bumpy so we headed over toward Laconia, Southdown and prison loop. The trail from 104 to Rt 106 was ok. Once we got to Southdown trails were incredible. The prison loop was real nice too. The railroad tracks from Paugus Bay to Weirs were excellent. Short run today. Winipesaukee is real slushy and bearly usable. Stay away from the trails behind the Meredith Village Bank on Rt 25 in Meredith. The swamp area back there has opened up and several have fallen into the wetlands swamp area.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #44
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Update 2/10/08 from Sno-Streakers.com

2-10-08 Just in from another day of local riding. Lot's of snow. Some trails got beat up by all the Derby traffic but it is still snowing which will give groomers something to work with to fix them. Friday night a sled went through the ice behind Meredith Village Savings Bank. There are large holes (water hazards) opened up from the flow - Avoid this trail until we get a hard freeze. Slush continues to be a problem on the lakes. Brooks and water bars were particularly bad over in Sanbornton (300) today. Still snowing and I have a two foot high snow ramp to get out of my barn and ride - Life is Good!!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #45
hilltopper

Bummer about the swamp behind the bank. With the lake being a miserable mess and the area behind the bank off limits, that pretty much means if I want to ride I have to go north on 15. Better than nothing, but it makes it impossbile to do any type of a loop. Keep us posted on the swamp situation...it was awful cold last night and today so maybe it will lock back up!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #46
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Update from 2/13/08 Sno-Streakers,com

2-13-08 Two cold nights in single digits - twenties during the days. Last night about ten inches of snow then rain all day resulting in about six inches of wet cement. Check out our weather page: http://www.sno-streakers.com/weather.html
Old 02-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #47
hilltopper

Hey OHR,

Any update on the swamp behind Aubuchon? Passable?

Thanks,
hilltopper
Old 02-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #48
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Swamp

No updates. I will not be riding this weekend so I'm hoping someone will see your question and get that answered for you. Sorry!!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #49
hilltopper

No worries OHR. I'll hop out at some point tomorrow and check it out. I noticed tracks last night crossing 25 to access Meredith Harbor so some brave (or unknowing) soul must have ridden at least part of the swamp. If the boys get out and groom tonight temps should allow the trails to hold up real well tomorrow!
Old 02-19-2008, 01:12 AM   #50
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Update from Sno-Streakers 2/15/08

2-15-08 Cold night temps have closed up the hole in the ice behind Meredith Village Savings bank and the trail is passable but still requires caution. The lakes vary between frozen chunks and slush pockets but are better than last weekend.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:15 AM   #51
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Update from Sno-Streakers 2/16/08

2-16-08 AM Back to the barn for fuel and food and right back out on the trails. The riding is excellent. Crossed paths with Todd and Hank twice on the Tucker this morning and they were grooming last night as well - THANK YOU from all of us who are reaping the benefits of your time and hard work. Cold temps continue and the trails have never been better!!!

2-16-08 PM 60+ miles to the South this morning - great riding all the way 60+ plus to the North this afternoon/evening - same thing!!!! The local clubs are doing a great job. A little lumpy through Plymouth on the way home but it was late on a Saturday and timing is everything.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #52
JTOKIE

Default Trail Conditions

Anyone know how the trails held up after yesterday's warmth and rain!!!! Just came home Sunday and there was so much snow, looking to come back up for next week to do a long trip!!!!
JTOKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #53
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTOKIE View Post
Anyone know how the trails held up after yesterday's warmth and rain!!!! Just came home Sunday and there was so much snow, looking to come back up for next week to do a long trip!!!!
According to one of CLP's posts in the Weather forum, at 3:15 PM yesterday Black Cat island snow pack was at 28" and had only lost about 4" of snowpack. Still a ton of snow up here. We need a bit of cold weather, a few inches of snow to cool the sleds, and some grooming and it'll be like the rain never happened. Seems like consistently cold weather has been a bit hard to come by this year, though....
Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #54
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Update 2/21/08 from www.Sno-Streakers.com

2-21-08 The trails held up well after a full day of rain Monday. The slush on the lakes has melted back down and has refrozen. The trails are also hard frozen. We are supposed to get a little snow tomorrow - hopefully enough to provide cooling for the liquid cooled sleds.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #55
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Headed up this weekend

I just got my "permission slip" to head up to Meredith and play with my friends. Can't wait to sled. Have not done the Lake run this season. May be a good day to hit all the ports!!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #56
hilltopper

Looks like the boys were out grooming last night. Trail 15 by the house looked SWEET! Unfortunatley the sled is in northern VT at the moment so no riding for me this weekend. Those who head out, enjoy!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #57
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Ready Boys!! & Girls!!

Ready to hit the trails!! Will give update later. Get out there and enjoy. It will all be gone before you know it.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #58
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Trail update Sat March 1

Headed out this morning with about 6-8 inches of more snow that fell last PM. The treck across the lake was really tough as the snow on the lake is very deep and not packed. The trails on the lake should get better as riders pack the snow down. I would suggest riding in someone else tracks. We headed up the RR tracks in Meredith all the way up to Lincoln. Had lunch there and headed back. The railroad bed was not groomed well today (Sat March 1) We took a detour up in Thornton onto trail 112 or something like that. It was UNBELIEVABLE!! It came out at the Fairgrounds area of Plymouth. Over all the trails were a 7 on a scale of 1-10. We rode about 115 miles today. We'll head out again tomorrow.

Question:I am having a issue with my 2000 Polaris Indy Trail 550. At speeds from 0-50 I have all the power I need. When I try going faster than that I feel a bogging sensation. I changed my plugs on the trail and it did not help. I'm thinking it's a carb problem. Would love some help here. Look forward to your responces. Thanks
Old 03-02-2008, 04:30 AM   #59
Formula260SS

Check your Belt, bogging is almost always the belt. Make sure the deflection is correctly set, you can adjust the secondary (the big clutch) to take up the slack. If you have a manual the instructions on how to do this are in it.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #60
trfour

Default Good Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
Check your Belt, bogging is almost always the belt. Make sure the deflection is correctly set, you can adjust the secondary (the big clutch) to take up the slack. If you have a manual the instructions on how to do this are in it.
I always put a new belt on after the first run of the new season so as to clean up the drive, and driven clutches. Then put the new one on.
Also, you could have a loose or cracked pulse line to your fuel pump, or a weak fuel pump.

Of course, it's always a good idea to do a complete preseason check over on your sled before riding.

Hope this helps.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 03-02-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #61
codeman671

Depending on the temp outside and the conditions you could be getting some icing in the carbs or are injesting powder. It also could be a clogged main jet, which is the larger jet that is used at higher rpms.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #62
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Life out there

It was so great to see all the life and activity out on the trails today. We headed out from Meredith and headed up the tracks toward Ashland/Plymouth and cut over to Sandwich Notch trails. We got off just the tracks in Ashland. That trail headed from the tracks over to Little Squam always stinks but we needed to get over that way. Once we got on the Sandwich Notch trails is was great riding. we ended our ride coming from Moultonboro to Meredith. A lttle bumpy and used but still good. Thank you groomers and misc clubs!!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #63
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 3/5/08 Sno-Streaker.com update

3-05-08 Sorry about the lack of updates - I have been out of the state for 10 days. Lots of snow while I was gone. Today we got a couple of inches of sleet and rain the rest of the day. We went riding late today and the trails were excellent. There were some bumpy sections on the tracks as can be expected after two weeks of school vacations but over all the trails were great.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #64
idigtractors

Thumbs up

Quote:
3-05-08 Sorry about the lack of updates - I have been out of the state for 10 days. Lots of snow while I was gone. Today we got a couple of inches of sleet and rain the rest of the day. We went riding late today and the trails were excellent. There were some bumpy sections on the tracks as can be expected after two weeks of school vacations but over all the trails were great.
Did you mean to say for 10 minutes and not 10 days as I don't see any 10 days between the great reports. It appears that you have been doing a pretty good job posting right along, maybe missing a day or 2 here and there, but pretty much kept everyone updated pretty darn regularly and we thank ya for it.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #65
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Snow updates

The last post was posted by OHR although were the words of the www.sno-streakers.com webmaster. I offer my trail experiences and I also take the remarks from the trail reports of the www.Sno-Streakers.com web site. Ben was away for 10 days. Sorry for the confusion. I'll be back on the trails this weekend as long as I can shake this damn cold I got. Enjoy!!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #66
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 3/8/08 Update from www.sno-streakers.com

3-08-08 Warm temps and rain. We went out for a long run last night and found the trails holding up well considering the weather. Groomers have been out as much as the temperatures have allowed so the trails are a bit bumpier than we have been spoiled with. On the Rt. 104 trail (300) between Waukewan and Winona Rd. there is a large water crossing (brook) that opened up last night. It is about 7 feet acrossand the North bound edge is steep. I am going to try to drag some more pallets down to it today to fix it but be careful or avoid it till then.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #67
secondcurve

Old Hubbard:

When do you think the season will end this year? I usually call it quits on or around March 15th. Thanks for all the updates this year.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #68
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Season ending??

Second Curve,
I think we have till the end of this month. As quickly as all this snow came it will disappear. I've gone sledding on a 40-50 degree day with enough snow to have a great ride and end up riding thru mud on the way home. Enjoy it while it's here. I'll be headed out on Sunday. Raining today and want to spend some time with the family today.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #69
JTOKIE

It’s truley amazing how much snow there is,,, I had to come up Monday and shovel the roof and my porch off at my camp in Meredith, I measured 4 and 1/2 feet on the porch, just like the sign says, "Meredith the winter wonderland" took a nice ride on Tuesday, the trails up to Plymouth up corridor 8 were very bad until you got to Ashland, but going south they were amazing, great grooming into down town Laconia,,, It was incredible to go bye the weirs and see the snowbanks covering all the way to the roof of the arcades!!!! I really hope the trails will hold up after the rain,, I’d like to have one more big ride before the seasons over,,,, keep me updated on trail conditions!!!
JTOKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #70
Old Hubbard Rd

Default May take back my end of March prediction

I may take back my end of March prediction for snow. After todays rain it is amazing to see how quickly this stuff will disappear. Cross your fingers for a few more good weeks of riding!!

Last edited by Old Hubbard Rd; 03-08-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:23 PM   #71
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 3/8/08 Another update from sno-streakers.com

3-08-08 PM I was unable to get pallets this morning so I worked on the 104 brook problem with what was down there. Two hours later I came through on my sled and the work was destroyed so that is still a bad spot. If you have some pallets you can donate please E-Mail me( B.Quinn ) I will try again tomorrow but be careful or avoid that spot till then. The rest of the trails today were soft and the lakes slushy but we still had fun riding. Heavy rain at times today.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #72
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Winnipesaukee

Lake is real mushy today. I tried heading out and either it was icy and no traction or I was sinking in mush. Ended up turning around real quick. I guess we need a good cold spell and 5-6 inches snow and we'll be all set.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #73
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 3/11/08-Update from Sno-Streakers.com

3-11-08 GOOD NEWS - the railroad track closing date has been moved from March 15th to March 31st. Grooming has been difficult lately. We went from rain and slush too deep to groom to frozen concrete - however the groomers have been out working double shifts since the refreeze and the trails should be back in good form. The water hazard on 104 remains but the groomers are going to try to bulldoze enough snow into it to fill it in.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #74
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Update from Sno-Streakers.com 3/13/09

3-13-08 Great riding today! The tracks were flat and fast, the 104 water hazard is filled in and every trail I rode in the Lakes Region today was good. The groomers deserve a huge thank you. The lakes have no snow on them which is tough on liquid cooled sleds and on track slides so I stayed off them when possible and ran a fan cooled sled at work this week.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:29 AM   #75
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Update 3/20/08 from www.Sno-Streakers.com

3-20-08 Spring conditions prevail. Slushy in the afternoons and some water bars are opening. The groomers have been out when cold enough. We got about three inches of snow, then rain, totaling about an inch of slush. The tracks have been really good and overall the riding is still very good.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:03 AM   #76
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 3/22/08-Update from www.Snowstreakers.com

3-22-08 Colder temps and the groomers have been out. They have cut a diversion around the water hazard on the 104 trail. (thank you). The tracks were very good today until you got South of the Weirs and then most of the trails were bumpy but still had pretty good coverage. There are a couple of trees down- one just West of the Wool's trail junction to South Down Shores and one on Trail 300 west of the 104 swamp. (too big to move by hand and I did not have a chain saw with me) Really fun Spring riding all day!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #77
Zee

Thumbs up Thanks Old Hubbard Road

As the snomo season comes to an icy end, I want to thank Old Hubbard Rd. for his (her) very frequent trail reports. Those reports were more valuable than the ones posted by the State and the others posted (supposedly) on the club websites. Thanks again and see you next year hopefully.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #78
secondcurve

Zee:

I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks Old Hubbard Road!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:56 AM   #79
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Enjoyed every post

Thanks folks!! I enjoyed evey post!!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #80
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 4/1/08 www.Sno-Streakers.com IMPORTANT

4-1-08 April first!! - We got about two inches of wet snow yesterday and the riding was pretty good (No Fooling). Today, spent most of the day working on Winnipesaukee from my sled. Probably one of the last days out on the lake till ice out. The aquatherms are opening up large areas and pressure ridges are sinking and flooding. The shore lines continue to pull away and brook mouths are open. The RR tracks officially closed today.
4-1-08

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Hank just received word that the snowmobile bridges need to be off of the railroad tracks this weekend. The train is scheduled to come down to Meredith on Monday. We will need all the help we can get on Saturday to get them off. Anyone who can help out even for a couple of hours will be greatly appreciated! Please meet at the Winona Trestle bridge on Saturday April 5th at 8:00 AM. If you can, please bring ice chisels, shovels or anything else you may have that will help out.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #81
fatlazyless

Saw a group of two sleds and an atv this afternoon rounding Dolly's Point on the south end of Bear Island and heading north.

The ice on the lake looks perfect for some long distance ice skating, or maybe ice-sailboating. It still looks like wintah....ya-know....ya-know....