Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
cabinfever

Question Calling out to islanders w/o electricity

Having recently purchased a primitive cabin on a Winni island without electricity, we're looking for some helpful pointers on water and septic systems. We'd appreciate any advice from fellow islanders in this same category. LP gas is already in place with gas lights, fridge, stove, and heater. We have a generator on hand too. We're in the process of setting up a water storage tank with a gravity fed system into the cottage. Anyone have any success stories here or good lakes region resources? Septic system ideas are also appreciated. And, we'd like to hear any helpful tips or success stories on alternative energy systems. We're hoping to bring just a few modern conveniences to the cabin yet retain the "quaint" qualities that made us fall in love with the property. MANY thanks in advance.
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:18 AM   #2
RLW

Your dream home sounds fantastic. Sorry no help with the problems, but I can say, enjoy your quaint sounding adobe and smile at all your new challenges.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:39 AM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

This may be a good alternative to a costly septic.
Alternatives to electric
Congratulations on your new cabin!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:01 AM   #4
Janie

Default Septi-Tech System

My neighbor just put in a septi-ptech system. They are very excited. Check them out at http://www.septitech.com/about.shtml. There are a few others around the lake that have put one in so you should be able to get some references.
Tuftonboro, NH
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:28 AM   #5
KBoater

Default Island Power

I had to install electric lines to an island. If you do not have electric power on the island, you will have to install it with sub-marine cable. Check with your electric company they can give you the manufacture of the cable. The installation can be done by local electricians and use a barge. The whole process is expensive. You also have find out where there is connections on the main land and get permission to connect. The whole process is expensive and time comsuming.
Hope you have power now.
KBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #6
SteveS

Hi,
It sounds like we have a similar setup to yours, except for propane lights. We put 250 watts of solar up last year, and love the 12 volt lighting - much cooler in the summer! It also runs the computer, and I have a small inverter, that I haven't gotten around to installing yet. I got the system at Vermont Solar

We use (2) kinds of "non-standard" waste disposal systems, an incinerator toilet from Storeburn and a composting unit from Sun-Mar

I hardley ever use the generator, except when running power tools.

Good luck, and have fun!
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:57 AM   #7
cabinfever

Default Thank you

I thank everyone for the responses and information. All links were extremely helpful. Have a wonderful summer.
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote