Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-25-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
beagle

Default bugs!

For some reason this year we have several bug issues that I dont know what the best way is to deal with.
First, we have wasps which have built a nest in our swim dock. They have strategically placed it underneath the planking yet on top of the float.
Secondly, we have two types of wasps/hornets flying low over our pearched beach. One type is a hornet with black & white stripes. The other likes to dig holes in the sand and then bring other dead bugs to bury. I have been stung by not sure which.
Lastly, for the first time ever, I am being bitten by what I think are no see ums. They are leaving blood blister like bites by my ears and along my hairline even when I am on the screen porch.
Arrgh!

Any advice appreciated!
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

We pretty much ignore the common hornets....they hang out under our decks and look menacing but build small nests and don't really bother us.....the striped ones are wasps and a little more aggressive if disturbed......I'd spray those buggers with Raid. A little Deep Woods Off will keep noseeums, mosquitos and black flies away.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
nhcatrider

Being allergic to most flying stinging insects, I take an aggressive approach to prevent nests etc. When I built my deck on my house I screened in the framing to prevent nests in the joists. I also buy a bunch of raid every spring and spray them at the beginning. While at a friends a few weeks ago we discovered a nest in a swim platform and took a unique approach to it. Both of us are divers, so we went from underneath and pulled the floats out of the raft. Took care of that problem. Now the next project is screening the bottom of the raft, that might work for you as well.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

For the second year in a row we have had a huge nest underneath the plastic box which serves as a "toy box" on the beach. Whatever kind they are they are very agressive. I sprayed it and the second day thought they were all gone so tipped it up and guess what. They weren't all gone. They attacked me. I got stung twice. The stings still itch. I have also sprayed or knocked down several in various places in and around the dock and in a few days they build them right back. I think they are particularly bad this year.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
camp guy

Default bugs!

Because of the potential for an allergic reaction, and because of the problems an allergic reaction can create, hornets, wasps, and bees are not to be taken lightly. Even in the face of horticultural concerns, or DES regulations, or nature itself, it is wisest to get rid of these bugs as soon as possible. The negative results that can occur to humans and animals are not worth the risk of "playing nice" with them.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
Bmcgov78

its been a bad year for horse flies IMO
Bmcgov78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
nhcatrider

I just discovered a huge nest in the tongue of my snowmobile trailer. They seem to love the surge brake assembly every year, but this by far is the largest one I've had to exterminate yet. Plus, they are building higher than usual on my house, is this a sign for winter? Or is it that they are getting smarter and realize that I have to get the ladder out to spray them?
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
beagle

Default Thanks everyone

I will have my husband spray I don't like using chemicals near the water, but the stings can be dangerous. FWIW, a friend once taught me to use a paste of Adolph's meat tenderizer and water to cover the sting. If you do it right away it works pretty well; the enzymes break down the venom.
Thsnks again
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle View Post
, a friend once taught me to use a paste of Adolph's meat tenderizer and water to cover the sting. If you do it right away it works pretty well; the enzymes break down the venom.
Thsnks again
Take an aspirin and wet it. Rub it on the sting while it turns into a muddy mess. Works great to take the stinging away. Also, spray nests at night when they will all be back in their nest.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

When we were kids, mud was another home remedy. This time I grabbed some sand, the closest thing, and I don't think it worked very well. I then went in and put some lavender oil on it which had worked great on another past sting. One of them was driving me crazy itching last night-still!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote