Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
ackbard

Default Seaplane rides over the Lakes Region

Thought I would take a moment to mention that a good friend of mine has started a seaplane tour operation. The tours cover Lake Winnipesaukee and Squam and can be altered to satisfy anyones needs to see other landmarks. His dock is located on Paugus Bay and he can take up to five passengers. Standard flight is 30 mins and costs $50 a person. He also has the ability to come to your own dock or hotel and pick you up there. The price on that is dependent upon location.

He is an airline pilot with thousands of hours and has been flying seaplanes for over 30 years. To say that he is very qualified would be a understatement. He actually flew seaplane rides for my father 25 years ago. Seeing the lakes region by seaplane is a great way to see the sights. If anyone is interested his info is below.

Lakes Region Seaplane Services LLC
603-387-7575
www.facebook.com/seaplaneservices
www.seaplanetours.net (going active 7/8)
Attached Images

ackbard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ackbard For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (07-06-2010), NoRegrets (07-06-2010), Smitty1 (07-06-2010), trfour (07-02-2010)
Old 07-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
NoBozo

EXCELLENT: Looks like a Cessna (206) Stationair 6 w/amphibious floats which means he can pick you up or drop you off at a DRY airport, as well as on Water.

What is the minimum charge...OR what is the Standard Charge for two passengers..? NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
EXCELLENT: Looks like a Cessna Stationair 6 w/amphibious floats which means he can pick you up or drop you off at a DRY airport, as well as on Water.

What is the minimum charge...OR what is the Standard Charge for two passengers..? NB
His dock is located on Paugus Bay and he can take up to five passengers. Standard flight is 30 mins and costs $50 a person.
Using the figure listed it looks as if may be $100.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
ackbard

Quote:
EXCELLENT: Looks like a Cessna (206) Stationair 6 w/amphibious floats which means he can pick you up or drop you off at a DRY airport, as well as on Water.

He is trying to stick to a three person minimum but will take two people if another couple can't be added to a given flight. You are correct that is a Cessna 206 on amphibs. At this point he is doing only scenic tours but hopes to add charter flights down the road.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
brk-lnt

Sweet. I saw him cruising by the other weekend when we were anchored near the Margate. I plan to book a ride soon.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:29 AM   #6
Winnipesaukee

I did a biplane ride on Marthas Vineyard last summer. We did a couple barrel rolls and I asked him over the intercom:

"How long have you been doing this?"

"Never, this is my first time."
Old 07-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
AC2717

yeah I saw him yesterday
Old 07-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
The Boatwiser

Default Just wonderful

Sure, that's just great. I wonder if all the people that think a seaplane is just a great thing if it was taking off in front of their home all the time. So much noise you can't even hold a conversation. It was so nice when the last seaplane went out of business about 10 years ago. Now the noise returns - boy that's just wonderful.
The Boatwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #9
ApS

Default "Oversized": The Lake-Noise Problem ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee View Post
"...I did a biplane ride on Martha's Vineyard last summer..."
And the pilot did a "barrel roll"?

As a passenger, be glad that seat belts became required equipment in aircraft—by law—after nearly 30 years of air travel without them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boatwiser View Post
Sure, that's just great. I wonder if all the people that think a seaplane is just a great thing if it was taking off in front of their home all the time. So much noise you can't even hold a conversation. It was so nice when the last seaplane went out of business about 10 years ago. Now the noise returns - boy that's just wonderful.
A near-identical Cessna floatplane took off directly in front of my place last Thursday. (Same equipment and colors—just slightly-different "graphics").

I'm reminded that heavier floatplanes (like those with amphibious floats) require a larger propeller than "land" planes. The extreme speed of the prop at the tips of each blade is what makes all the noise: it's a mini and continuous, (and literal), "sonic boom"!

A 130-HP Aeronca takes off here frequently—and both floatplane and pilot actually live nearby. Being just a two-seater—and with fabric instead of metal components—it "pops-off" the water in very short order.

It's even easy to overlook!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #10
ackbard

The sound issue has always been a concern. It was back then and still is now. The plane he selected was chosen because it is quieter than what was used in the past. He has also added the ability to pick people up from their homes so he isn't operating in the same spot 20 times a day.

He is also varying his takeoff patterns in Paugus Bay which should help as well.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
NoRegrets

We took the ride today. What a fantastic way to cap off the weekend. The experience of seeing the places we raft from a "birds eye view" was fantastic. The pilot was excellent and explaned the process of going from boat to airplane. The take off was a little bumpy due to the boat traffic but once we were airborn the sights were fantastic.

Today the lake was fairly busy and the noise did not seem to be much different than some of the boats. As soon as the engine reved up we were airborn and gone. It did not seem as bad as the jet ski's or many of the performance or antique boats we love to see.

The pilot's wife was the ground crew (or deck hand I guess) and was very pleasant. I hope they have a great season and do well with this venture.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post:
Smitty1 (07-06-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default lake Amphibian

This is the ultimate amphibious plane ride. If you get a chance. 'Do it in a lake!'
Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #13
chipj29

Thanks for giving me an idea on what to do with the kids on vacation next week! They are going to LOVE it!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #14
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
We took the ride today. What a fantastic way to cap off the weekend. The experience of seeing the places we raft from a "birds eye view" was fantastic. The pilot was excellent and explaned the process of going from boat to airplane. The take off was a little bumpy due to the boat traffic but once we were airborn the sights were fantastic.
Did you go out last night? (7/5) We were out on the Broads just about sunset, and I spotted what sure looked like the seaplane in this post. Flew towards Alton, swung around Rattlesnake, and came along the shore past Samoset, Lake Shore Park and the state beach.

Biggest problem that causes me is... I don't like small planes, I explained to her that I thought that was a "tour plane" I had read about on the forum.

"She who must be obeyed" has decided it is something we "have" to do.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Sunset Flight

I decided to give this a try and am going tomorrow afternoon for a sunset flight. He is picking me up and dropping me off at my dock, how convenient is that!!

Wave if you see us fly over!!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 07-06-2010 at 08:38 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
NoRegrets

Hi Steve A,

1,000 posts! WOW

Monday morning we cruised to Merideth then back to the Naswa for breakfast and then early cocktails at the beach bar. We took our tour around 1 PM. He would have flown us anywhere we wanted so we flew over our marina then did quick landing in Braun Bay to check in on our friends kids. We then took off again and headed back to the Naswa.

I have flown in many planes and I felt very comfortable and confident in the pilot and plane. We took off in the wakes of many boats at the head of Paugus bay. The floats sliced through the waves very well. Even when we landed and turned back into a boat we took on waves that washed over the pontoons. The vessel was very stable. I can say the pair of pilot and equipment let me totally enjoy the experience and not have the mental concern of "what if"!

Last edited by NoRegrets; 07-06-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Added Hi!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:05 AM   #17
ackbard

Default Corrected Facebook link

Wanted to correct my earlier post. Lakes Region Seaplane Services Facebook page is facebook.com/lakesregionseaplane .
Old 07-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #18
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I decided to give this a try and am going tomorrow afternoon for a sunset flight. He is picking me up and dropping me off at my dock, how convenient is that!!

Dan
Awesome! Be sure to let us know how it goes.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #19
Brian Neidhardt

Default Facebook Link Correction

Thought I would make a quick correction. The Facebook business page link for Lakes Region Seaplane Services is:

www.facebook.com/lakesregionseaplane
Brian Neidhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Neidhardt For This Useful Post:
Grant (07-07-2010)
Old 07-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #20
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:

Dan
Well Dan it looked like you had a nice flight and a calm evening for docking the plane. So how was it?

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #21
ishoot308

Default Fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Well Dan it looked like you had a nice flight and a calm evening for docking the plane. So how was it?

Alan
It was awesome Alan! Dave the pilot is a super nice guy and really took us for a great ride all around the lake. My nephew was up visiting from Florida so we surprised him with this ride. Dave was able to pull right up to my breakwater and pick us up without a problem. You should of seen the look on my nephews face when he see's this plane pulling up to the dock... Priceless!!

Dave is very accommodating and has a lot of experience flying. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to see a totally different perspective of the lake. Here's a pic from the East side of Rattlesnake Island.

Thank you "ackbard" for starting this thread! It was a great experience!!

Dan
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
hancoveguy (07-16-2010)
Old 07-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #22
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Google is your friend

Quote:
It was awesome Alan! Dave the pilot is a super nice guy and really took us for a great ride all around the lake. My nephew was up visiting from Florida so we surprised him with this ride. Dave was able to pull right up to my breakwater and pick us up without a problem. You should of seen the look on my nephews face when he see's this plane pulling up to the dock... Priceless!!

Dave is very accommodating and has a lot of experience flying. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to see a totally different perspective of the lake. Here's a pic from the East side of Rattlesnake Island.

Thank you "ackbard" for starting this thread! It was a great experience!!

Dan
Nice picture.

Try using irfanview or some other resizing software. Under 1000 pixels wide is preferred. Thx.

http://www.irfanview.com/
Old 07-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #23
Brian Neidhardt

Default Seaplane picture from Meredith

Yesterday we stopped in Meredith to take a few pictures. Great day for it. Should be a good weekend for flying.
Attached Images

Brian Neidhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #24
hancoveguy

Default Great pic

Hey ISHOOT,
What an absolutely fantastic pic of the lake. I can't wait to get back up there tomorrow after 2 weeks at home. That pic should seriously win an award. Nothing says peaceful like "our lake" at sunset.

Truly, truly, the picture of tranquility...

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #25
Pontoon Goon

Default Stick it to the Man

Brian is there any chance you could swing me over the airport so I can jump out? Just want to piss some people off. I'll use a chute.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #26
cowisl

Quote:

Dan
Did he charge you extra to pick you up at your dock? Very interested in this!
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #27
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowisl View Post
Did he charge you extra to pick you up at your dock? Very interested in this!
Not that I am aware of... Price was $150.00 for 3 people minimum. If there's one or two of you it's probably still going to be $150.00

Dan
Old 07-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #28
ackbard

Default Good view of Wolfeboro

Picture was taken yesterday over Wolfeboro. My relatives and I had a great time.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #29
cowisl

Awesome. Hope to do it Friday
Old 07-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #30
Winnipesaukee

Quote:
And the pilot did a "barrel roll"?

As a passenger, be glad that seat belts became required equipment in aircraft—by law—after nearly 30 years of air travel without them!
http://www.biplanemv.com/tour_options.shtml

It was awesome. Barrel rolls, loops, zero gravity stuff... I don't know I'm just happy to be alive...and have that lap belt!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #31
cowisl

We went on Saturday. Great time!
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #32
ApS

Talking Mini Sonic Booms? Where Did THAT Come From...?

('Necessary to quote myself here for clarity):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
"...heavier floatplanes (like those with amphibious floats) require a larger propeller than "land" planes. The extreme speed of the prop at the tips of each blade is what makes all the noise: it's a mini and continuous, (and literal), "sonic boom"...!"
Anyone see Tuesday's Laconia Daily Sun?

The interview-ee (and pilot) "Dave" asserted that the plane was very quiet, stating...

Quote:
"...the propeller doesn't make "mini-sonic-booms"..."
Old 08-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #33
Mink Islander

Default What a blast!

My family did a sunset flight yesterday evening. Beautifully calm day so a really nice smooth flight! Picked us up right at our dock and off we went. You get such a great perspective of the whole lake from the air. Really well worth doing!
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #34
ackbard

Default Nice sky last evening

Coming back from Mink Island last evening the sky had some great colors.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #35
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post

I'm reminded that heavier floatplanes (like those with amphibious floats) require a larger propeller than "land" planes. The extreme speed of the prop at the tips of each blade is what makes all the noise: it's a mini and continuous, (and literal), "sonic boom"! :

I'm not sure this is the case. Float planes quite often (mostly) use a THREE bladed
prop instead of the normal Two bladed prop used on equivilent "Land" based planes. The reason for this is the Noise. A Three bladed prop on the same plane would actually be Smaller in diameter. ....hence propeller "Tip Speed" would be slower. NB
Old 08-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #36
Steve Di.

Being amphibious gives him a huge advantage over traditional seaplanes when it comes to buying fuel. He can hop over to Laconia Airport to buy his fuel.

Last edited by Steve Di.; 08-01-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Steve Di. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #37
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Di. View Post
Being amphibious, he has a huge advantage over traditional seaplanes when it comes to buying fuel. He can hop over to Laconia Airport to buy his fuel.
This is true. However: FAA Required Maintence (cost) on an Amphib is Massive compared to the same plane on land. NB
Old 08-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #38
rrr

Default restrictions?

Are there any areas of the lake where he cannot land? I was telling someone about this recently (copying Dan's idea, I would love to surprise hubby and a few others with it) and was told that they cannot land in Winter Harbor (down near the Basin). I didn't believe it - but figured the folks here would know.

thanks
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:04 AM   #39
AC2717

I was told it was awesome, my two cousins went up last week, they loved it, and the plane is in great shape and has extra power
Also the husband and wife comination who run it are great, awesome people, they should be supported in anyway to get this business up and running for years to come, just great honest folks who provide a great product. My cousin's also said that they give a nice guided tour, not just a ride, so you know what you are looking at and what not

My wife and I are doign a ride in October, cannot wait!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #40
LadyJane

My daughter and 14 year old grandson went up last week and had a fabulous experience. The pilot was informative, telling them about his background as a pilot and what sounds and sensations they could expect during taking off, landing and while airborne. He pointed out the sights that they saw around the lake. It was a thrilling experience for them ! Although rather frightening for me.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #41
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
Are there any areas of the lake where he cannot land? I was telling someone about this recently (copying Dan's idea, I would love to surprise hubby and a few others with it) and was told that they cannot land in Winter Harbor (down near the Basin). I didn't believe it - but figured the folks here would know.

thanks
Up until last fall, there was a small float plane "homeported" in Winter Harbor at the Piping Rock Resort condos. Winter Harbor is an authorized seaplane landing place. To get up near the Basin, the plane would just land a little further out ...say off the Libby Museum...and taxi in toward the Basin end of the bay....under boating rules.

To be sure, just call the seaplane service and ask. NB
Old 08-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #42
ApS

Cool Not Near Tuftonboro's Basin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
Are there any areas of the lake where he cannot land? I was telling someone about this recently (copying Dan's idea, I would love to surprise hubby and a few others with it) and was told that they cannot land in Winter Harbor (down near the Basin). I didn't believe it - but figured the folks here would know. thanks
I've watched most floatplanes taxi from that area, but never to that area. In other words, they might land there, but not take off from there. Anywhere else in the "Greater Winter Harbor area" should be fine for his operations.

Quote:
I'm not sure this is the case. Float planes quite often (mostly) use a THREE bladed prop instead of the normal Two bladed prop used on equivilent "Land" based planes. The reason for this is the Noise. A Three bladed prop on the same plane would actually be Smaller in diameter. ....hence propeller "Tip Speed" would be slower. NB
A white Cessna floatplane (5-0-Zulu) with amphibious floats made several landings and take offs today in Winter Harbor. He must have a two-bladed prop, as the whole neighborhood was shaking. He throttled back after getting airborne each time, but it was pretty intense for all the surrounding area.

It's 9:20-PM now, and a NHMP twin-outboard just went by. They've been pretty active in this area, but not so much with the twin-outboard. That's two today, that I saw.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:43 AM   #43
ackbard

Default Foliage Flights

Now that the weather is starting to change foliage flights will be taking place with the seaplane. I can tell you from experience that it is one of the best way to see colors change on a large scale. Very beautiful and highly recommended.