Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
Woody38

Smile New Boater on Winni

We have purchased a condo in Laconia near Weirs Beach. Any pointers on type of fishing gear used on the lake would be useful. My previous experience was on Buzzards Bay and the areas of Nantucket, Marthas Vineyard and Horseshoe. Surely there is a great difference.
Would also appreciate any tips or pointers about the lake. Local knowledge is always the best.
I am enjoying the downsize from my 37' Egg Harbor to the newly acquired 19'
1938 Chris Craft. If fishing I will keep it clean.
Thanks in advance for you input.
If you see me wave, I will wave back.
IzzyAnna.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
Hillcountry

Talking

Welcome to the Lakes Region! Your best bet would be to check out AJ's Bait Shop in Meredith...he will set you straight on what equipment you need for fishing the big lake.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:48 AM   #3
MikeF-NH

unless you are setup for bass with an electric trolling motor, you probably won't do fantastic on bass. Your boat can be modified to troll for salmon/trout but you will have to invest some money in downriggers (and possibly planer boards depending on how important fishing is to you). AJ can get you pointed in the right direction for tackle and bait as there is too much for me to type here.

Coming out of Weirs, there is some tough navigation around Eagle Island and past the Witches. Make sure you are familiar with both. Buy a Bizer or better yet use Navionics on your cell phone or GPS. Many here feel a 19 foot boat is small for parts of Winni though I used a 16 for 10 years and now have an 18.5. Just pick your days right. If winds are going to exceed 15-20 mph...avoid larger areas of the lake such as The Broads as you will get pounded around pretty good.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:58 AM   #4
donmac

Mike is technically correct, but I suspect you don't want to mount downriggers or an electric trolling motor on your 38 Chris Craft - that boat is likely a real beauty, would love to see pics. Pick up a 2nd boat if you decide to get serious about fishing. If you are not that serious you can just anchor with the CC, drown some live bait, and have some fun.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:38 AM   #5
camp guy

Default New Boater on Winni

When you are at a public dock, walk around the piers and see what people are doing for fishing set ups. Don't be afraid to ask a few questions. Boaters are generally happy to answer questions and pass on some advice (just don't ask them where their favorite fishing hole is!).

If you get into serious fishing, trying to maintain the pristine condition of a 1938 19ft Chris Craft in the presence of the necessary fishing equipment may turn out to be a difficult task.

Enjoy the Lake, and welcome to the Forum.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default Fishing?

Welcome to Winnipesaukee.
There is a separate section of this forum dedicated to fishing. You'll find all sorts of specifics there. (My favorite is the ice carousel.) A morning with a guide might be money well spent in combining some general lake knowledge with more specific fishing info.
I too, hope you will post a pic or two of the boat.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmac View Post
Mike is technically correct, but I suspect you don't want to mount downriggers or an electric trolling motor on your 38 Chris Craft - that boat is likely a real beauty, would love to see pics. Pick up a 2nd boat if you decide to get serious about fishing. If you are not that serious you can just anchor with the CC, drown some live bait, and have some fun.
I was going to say the same thing, buy beater for fishing.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

There has to be a law somewhere against mounting downriggers to a 1938 Chris Craft isn't there??... There just has to be...

Go to AJ's for your gear. He will set you up properly.

Dan
Old 05-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #9
Woody38

Many thanks to all of you for you help and comments.

You bet I will not put any hardware on this boat. Anchor and live fish sounds good, the catch really doesn't matter, the enjoyment is key.

On Cape Cod one of my wife's friends wouldn't give the time of day. One day at the beach off Osterville he talked about all the bluefish around that day , would practically jump into the boat, any darn fool could catch them as he was squarely looking at me.
Ah, my Egg could catch more fish than his 17' Mako.

If I can help make someone's day complete I've accomplished success.

Living well is the best revenge.

If you see me wave, Ill be waving back from the IzzyAnna.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote