Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #1
kroycsivart

Default Aluminum row boat for kids

I've been searching everywhere for a small aluminum row boat for our kids. Apparently, they don't make these new anymore so a used one it is! Does anyone know where I can find one?
kroycsivart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Hillcountry

I was recently at Haggett's Marine in Concord and he has plenty of used and I would think, new as well.
I was looking at a few Jon boats which would be ideal for kids.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #3
8gv

Using a Craigslist search app you can find many 12' aluminum boats for sale. While 12' might be bigger than what you have in mind, a 10' jon boat will be much less stable and provide less room to grow.

The app I use is called CSmart for Craigslist. It's not perfect, but it's free.

One thing to note is that your search terms will include or exclude what you are seeking. Searching for 12' under "boats" will give you different results than "12' aluminum boat".
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:01 PM   #4
codeman671

Try Dover Marine in you guessed it, Dover. They usually have new out front.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:04 AM   #5
dpg

You can get new "Jon Boat" (sp?) most anywhere marinas, Bass Pro, Cabelas, they come in different sizes. Not sure where you've been looking or if this is the type of boat your looking for. At least those are not very hard to find.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2016, 06:52 AM   #6
Joebon

http://www.lundboats.com/boat-series/jon-boat/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:52 AM   #7
MikeF-NH

Aluminum boats are easy to find. Bass pro shops and Greenes Marine both have them in Hooksett. Dover Marine, Kittery Trading Post probably even has them.

For used: Craigslist has to be loaded with them.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #8
SIKSUKR

Greens marine in Hooksett show some small ones in stock.http://www.greensmarine.net/default....=xNewInventory
Old 05-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #9
ApS

Red face Rowing Made Complicated...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroycsivart View Post
I've been searching everywhere for a small aluminum row boat for our kids. Apparently, they don't make these new anymore so a used one it is! Does anyone know where I can find one?
Go to Craigslist. You should be able to find a 12-footer for less than $300. (A 10-footer is too small, and runs unnecessary risks on a big lake).

Older aluminum boats can be identified by their large castings on the "corners". While easier to row in a straight line, those older boats tend to be heavy for a "lightweight" aluminum boat.

Last year, I considered exercising by rowing, and bought a new pair of oars. The new oars came with leather bindings and circular-type oarlocks. At the suggestion of an experienced sailor, I painted the oars' blades a white color for higher visibility to faster/distracted boaters.

Rowing was difficult with my aluminum boat, as brisk winds would shift the boat's direction with every stroke. Now that I've spent nearly as much on oars than on this boat (!) I'd look for an aluminum boat with a deeper keel than most—or one with multiple keels.

On board, a rower should pack the following:

spare oarlock
spare break-down oar
spare drain plug
hand operated bilge pump

Beginners would appreciate oars that are pinned or clamped to the oarlocks.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #10
fatlazyless

In my opinion, the oar locks which are shaped like a "U" and have a 2 1/2" x #10 or #12 machine screw that goes through the oar, as opposed to the circle oar locks, make it a lot easier to row. They just do a better, all-around job of positioning the oars without any slipping about......and you need to drill the smallest hole that's doable.....through the wood oar.

For the lowest price, best deal on these, about $10.95 for two, suggest you go to Parafunalia in Gilford. Aubuchon charges something like $24 for the same exact item.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:19 AM   #11
V ger

Default Oars

I applaud you for introducing your kids to boating by teaching them to row. Few things will give them a better understanding of the interaction of wind, wave and boat than rowing. It provides outstanding low impact exercise and teaches perseverance. With a little coaching the realities of what must seem like abstract school lessons can be illuminated.

Pinned oars are an anathema to experienced rowers and will prevent neophytes from ever learning to row properly. Pinned oars cannot be feathered making rowing upwind needlessly laborious. They also cannot be shipped when coming alongside a dock or another boat.

Controlling the extended length of the oar through the oarlock can be largely achieved by the application of oar leathers where the oar makes contact with the oar lock. The leathers also prevent wear to the shaft of the oar. While oars are not available with leathers installed (They are positioned according to the boats beam etc.) they are easily stiched onto the oar. This basic element of marline spike seamanship should be familiar to any competent boater.

Open top oar locks are inherently weaker and prone to loss as they are not retained on the oar. The blade like tops of open topped oar locks can produce nasty injuries if someone falls on them as is likely with beginners boarding and leaving a small boat.

While charts are available with suggested oar length to beam ratios I find that the longest oar that can be managed by the rower will provide the fastest the boat speed and will require fewer strokes to cover a given distance. Having to take short choppy strokes is frustrating and can be dangerous. More than a few people have been lost due to an inability to make headway against a strong wind or current. Buy good quality oars and as suggested above paint the blades white or some other bright color to increase visibility. If your oars do not come with padded grips do not varnish the grip area as this will cause blisters. A bare wood or sanded grip is better and less slippery.

Consider adding an oarlock socket to the transom that can be used to scull in case of oar loss or to travel through narrow spaces. It can be very satisfying
to learn a skill that not many people have.
V ger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V ger For This Useful Post:
DBreskin (05-11-2016), Descant (05-12-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 06:06 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Default .... different strokes for different folks?

Oh well ...... you know here's what I think ..... that rowing a 12' rowboat with oars with pinned oarlocks as opposed to using the circle oarlocks with leathers ...... is sort of like rowing while using training wheels or something.

The pinned oarlocks which have an approximately 2 1/2" rod or machine screw going through the oar is a fulcrum point that holds the oar in a fixed position that makes it easier to immediately do a good job of rowing because there's fewer variables and all you have to do is to pull on the oars and it's all pretty much pre-set.

For a beginner, that can be a good thing ......... and for me ......I guess I'm just a permanent beginner.

And, shipping the oars is easily doable because the pinned oarlocks get lifted up and out of the holders, as they are pinned to the oars. Depending on the boat it can be easy to rest the blades on the forward gunnels up by the bow without removing the oars from the oarlock holders ...... something that cannot be done so well with the circle oarlocks because the oars will flop around.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #13
V ger

Default Rowing Procedure Illustration

The attached drawing shows the differences between pinned and ring oarlock procedures.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ROWING.pdf (1.88 MB, 380 views)
Old 05-19-2016, 06:32 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Default ....... oar, oar, oar the boat?

U know that a circle oarlock can be drilled and pinned because I have done it and that changes it from a circle to a pinned oarlock, and it made the 7' Walker Bay row boat a better row. The Walker Bay factory circle oarlocks are made out of some type rubber synthetic which twist-turn lock into the holders. Pinning the circles changed it from a sloppy row to an easy stay-in-place type of a row.

Does one oar the boat, or row the boat?
Old 05-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #15
Chief

Default Row Boat

I just consigned for sale a 14' aluminum row boat with a 7.5 Mercury Outboard to M&M on Jenness Hill Rd. in Meredith. It also has a trailer if interested in that.
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:13 PM   #16
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Marketing?

Price? any other details? Why not list it on the classified here?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:06 AM   #17
ApS

Question That Outboard Issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
U know that a circle oarlock can be drilled and pinned because I have done it and that changes it from a circle to a pinned oarlock, and it made the 7' Walker Bay row boat a better row. The Walker Bay factory circle oarlocks are made out of some type rubber synthetic which twist-turn lock into the holders. Pinning the circles changed it from a sloppy row to an easy stay-in-place type of a row. Does one oar the boat, or row the boat?
I have a Walker Bay rowboat. It's good for rowing, as it has a large skeg molded in—and is "hardwired" for sailing.

But thinking more about the OP, why not try for a rowing canoe? While it may not be cheaper, it's faster to row and much lighter. After canoeing, the boat can be lifted by kids onto the trailer or dock. In close quarters, the oars can be shipped, and the paddles brought out.

I think there's much more for kids to learn about boating from a canoe than a rowboat. I first heard the boat-engineering term "tumblehome" from a canoe instructor.

Besides, after a few days of rowing around (or one windy day) it won't be long before the kids will want an outboard for their rowboat.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:11 PM   #18
V ger

Default Rowboat

At the age of 9 I found my uncles heavy 14 foot wooden rowboat very instructive. While going for a row with my 14 year old brother an a friend of his I quietly slipped the anchor overboard. Covering the anchor rode with a hand on the gunnel I quietly watched my brother and his friend take turns rowing to exhaustion trying to make headway against a perceived extra strong ebb tide. Failing to make headway as single rowers they then put all their strength into rowing the boat with each pulling on a single oar. Once they got their timing right I could no longer keep the rode from slipping aft and exposing my trickery. Thankfully my brother thought that throwing me overboard might generate parental disapproval. As I recall some time after reaching shore my brother taught me that there are limits to tricks you should play on your older brother.

The point is that a rowboat is a great boat for kids to learn with. A row boat is roomy enough to accommodate a few friends, stable enough to allow trading places and makes a great fishing platform. Swimming from a rowboat is much more doable as re-boarding is much simpler. What better reason to go for a row than find a favorite fishing spot or swimming locale. A few sandwiches something to drink and the kids can enjoy the freedom of a mini adventure without being able to go so far as to panic their parents.

One note regarding canoes is that the beam to length ratio means that no section of the hull has enough buoyancy to support the hull on a steep wake and prevent swamping.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:38 AM   #19
fatlazyless

Hey aps ....my little Walker Bay 7' rowboat came with the mast-sail-centerboard, rudder and extra flotation doo-dah ....just bought this boat about a month ago used, and am waiting for the water to warm up before going sailing.....to be safe.

If you have a mooring at your cottage that's good for a sailboat, the Unique Boat Restoration on Rt 25 in Moultonborough recently got a 2010 Precision 165 day sailor in like new condition with a 3.3hp-Mercury and a good trailer for $5750. It is like an $18,000 boat when new, and this one looks like new. It has a permanent weighted keel that extends down maybe three feet.....and could be fitted with oarlocks and some 8' oars .....row row row......until the breeze picks up.....seems like a new boat.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #20
V ger

Default Rowing procedure when docking etc.

The attached illustrations demonstrate the relative merits of unpinned ring oarlocks versus pinned oarlocks when docking at a typical dingy dock. Coming along side another boat or piling will give similar results. Leaving a dingy dock against an adverse wind and/or current with unpinned ring oar locks will allow the rower to begin rowing as soon as the oarlock sockets are clear of the adjacent boats. With pinned oars shipped blades forward rowing may not commence until the forward stowed oar blades are clear of the adjacent boats.
Ab adverse wind and/or current may prevent reaching that point.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SHIPPING OARS APPROACH.pdf (247.8 KB, 278 views)
File Type: pdf SHIPPING OARS MID.pdf (188.8 KB, 256 views)
File Type: pdf SHIPPING OARS END.pdf (189.9 KB, 280 views)
Old 05-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #21
jmarshall753

Default Rowboat search

I have an aluminum row boat in my yard. Laconia, near weirs. Reasonably priced. Email if interested to take a look. Jayymarr@yahoo.com
jmarshall753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #22
TheProfessor

I just sold my used 12' aluminum row boat v hull - with oars for $450.00.
Craigslist.
First person to come bought it.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:51 PM   #23
nhcatrider

Make sure when you are rowing you are keeping a proper lookout. My 8 year old daughter almost got run over by 2 in a row boat, she was on a 6 foot kayak with me about 6 feet away. Kids in the boat had no idea she was there, or the large rock right in front of her that they did hit.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:31 PM   #24
fatlazyless

Rowing usually means you pull on the oars with your back to the bow, and you are looking to the stern of the boat, or looking backwards from where you are rowing?

Maybe rowboats could be federally required to have rear view mirrors or a back-up cam to see where you are rowing?
Old 06-01-2016, 04:34 AM   #25
ApS

Post Why Square Transoms are Poor Rowboats...

Interesting point from The Hull Truth website:

Quote:
the real problem here is that aluminum "rowboats" have a wide square transom for the motor!

the wide square transom kills all the speed due to hydrodynamic inefficiency.

If you need to be convinced, go hop in your local aluminum row boat (with no outboard) with a medium sized kid as passenger. have the kid sit in the back while you row a ways. now have the kid move way up front (ideally so that the bottom of the transom is out of the water) and row some more. you will be quite surprised at the difference.

if the bottom of the transom is out of the water then the water can flow out from under the boat much more easily and the boat will row much better...aluminum "rowboats" are designed for outboard motors.
(But I was really Googling for this photo—not the included message).

Old 06-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #26
noreast

Looks like a walmart add for a boat. You know that cigarette ended up in the water.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote