Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
hazelnut

Default Harley Davidson and Bike Week

Interesting article regarding Harley's presence at Motorcycle Week:

http://www2.laconiadailysun.com/stor...aving-downtown

LACONIA — City Manager Eileen Cabanel told the City Council last night that officials of the Harley-Davidson Motor Company have assured her that the firm will return to Motorcycle Week in June, but indicated they were eying venues other than downtown where their rally "road show" has been staged for the past four years.

Cabanel said that while she sought an explanation for seeking another location none was forthcoming. However, she said that in the past officials of the company have expressed reservations about the lack of other attractions downtown that would complement the road show and draw greater numbers to it. She said that she intended to meet with the downtown merchants to consider what could be done to attract more visitors to the area during the rally.

"If we want to keep them (Harley-Davidson)," Cabanel stressed, "we've got to work on it."

Since 2007, the motorcycle giant's corporate presence at Bike Week — including its demonstration ride operation — has been staged in the municipal parking lot located between City Hall and the post office. At first their was some opposition from downtown merchants because of the fear of losing a parking area primarily used by their employees.

The city has not charged Harley-Davidson any rent in an effort to encourage out-of-town guests to visit the center of the city.

Prior to moving the road show downtown, the Milwaukee company had located it 14 miles south, at the N.H. Motor Speedway in Loudon.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

The ideal place would be in one of the vacant mall parking lots on route 11... Maybe where the liquor store in Gilford use to be???
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Not vacant anymore since Anna Lee Dolls moved into the old Jackson Star.
A few weeks ago I couldn't even get a spot in there.

I keep saying the Bike week is branching out. People come for a day or two and then they ride off to Mt Washington Valley, Maine's seacoast area, Bently's Saloon in Arundel, Maine, VT, etc...
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Not vacant anymore since Anna Lee Dolls moved into the old Jackson Star.
A few weeks ago I couldn't even get a spot in there.

I keep saying the Bike week is branching out. People come for a day or two and then they ride off to Mt Washington Valley, Maine's seacoast area, Bently's Saloon in Arundel, Maine, VT, etc...
Yeah, but the parking lot is always wide open. Plenty of room for Harley to set up a display without hindering on any of the businesses there.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Yeah, but the parking lot is always wide open. Plenty of room for Harley to set up a display without hindering on any of the businesses there.
I think you and LR may be thinking of different parking lots. Annalee Dolls is on 104 in Meredith. I think IS308 is talking about the area over in Gilford near Patrick's on 11.

Or I am just confusing everyone!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I think you and LR may be thinking of different parking lots. Annalee Dolls is on 104 in Meredith. I think IS308 is talking about the area over in Gilford near Patrick's on 11.

Or I am just confusing everyone!!
You are correct Vitabene. Route 11 is where I was talking about.

Dan
Old 01-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
Belmont Resident

Default Move to the other side of the lake.

Let the folks on the other side of the lake enjoy all the aggravation that goes with bike week and getting around.
I know I’ll get hell for it but you do not run into many locals who do not benefit from bike week that actually welcome it. Make it go away….
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Cobalt 25

Just curious, Belmont Resident, not trying to be argumentative, but is your source of income from the private sector, public service, retirement funds?

I'm just trying to get a sense of why folks support the positions they espouse.

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

I agree that the large parking lot in Gilford would be a good spot, in past years other vendors have had a presence there. Another spot would be next to Lowe's over where the new Hanniford is planned.

Downtown Laconia has worked well for riders the past few years; ample parking and a pretty good ride route. Also not far from the Weirs. The former venue at the racetrack was too far away from other bike week activities during the week. And on race weekend it was pretty congested. It was an ok ride route.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Lakesrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
You are correct Vitabene. Route 11 is where I was talking about.

Dan
Oh OK! I just read too fast and saw the Liquor store mentioned....

Yes the Lot whee the Hannaford's is planned would be great. maybe that is what they were thinking as well. Much closer to the Weirs activities as mentioned.
But when is Hannaford's planning to start building. I would imagine this Spring?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
Belmont Resident

Default Private contractor

Lakesrider my opinions on bike week are based on the level of frustration that many of us who have no interest in the event deal with for those 9 days. I have to take days off depending on where the job is located. We also have to deal with the driving habits of those it brings into town. I’ve lived in this area for about 8-9 years and been a contractor for about 7 years. I visited bike week first when I was in my 30’s and was never really impressed. I’ve owned bikes and still do although not a Harley.
It is like the vacation crowd. They are here for 1-2 weeks. In that time they have a list of things to accomplish, in doing so they seem to loose all regard for any body or anything else around them.
The same goes for bike week.
Don’t get me wrong it doesn’t include everybody, but it sure does seem like there are more undesirables than not.
Many of the establishments that depend on tourism love the money it brings in, but talk to them one on one and you’ll find they don’t particularly care for the people it brings in.
But as always money talks…
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #12
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
But as always money talks…
That's the ONLY reason Laconia and the State put up with the hassles that it creates. I went to bike week one time (one day actually) in the late 90s and just couldn't see what the fuss was all about. The traffic alone sucked the life out of me more than anything else.

Because of those two weeks we don't slip our boat in Meredith to avoid the bridge and traffic over there. Season is already short enough as it is.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #13
jniff101

Default Relax

It's only 9 days and it's not even packed for all those 9 days. Sit back relax, let the money pour in and it is over before you know it. Believe it or not many of those bikers are good people and get stereotyped because of how they look. Most of them are some of the most polite and courteous people I've ever met. Just my opinion.
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
Lakesrider

Well first off BR I think you were answering Cobalt 25. I have no issue with your reasoning. Sometimes the traffic is a pain for me as well. I just plan accordingly. I go food shopping, at Hannaford's, Lowe's etc the Friday before and try to get two weeks worth of food, knowing full well the traffic nightmare that awaits. Long lines at the stores, and at the gas pumps anywhere near the Weirs. One reason the Bike week has been a bit less of an issue is the Bikers are getting older. Just look around while you are there. Mostly 30-40-50-60 year-olds. No longer as many younger riders. Young folk just can't afford the over inflated Harley prices....Us older folk go to bed earlier and need to rest up more for those long rides...