Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
KTO

Default Barge by Pickerel Cove in Paugus Bay Question

I spent a lot of time snorkeling on the wreck that's along the shoreline after Pickerel cove (that I learned about in another thread) and I'm extremely impressed with this. Only this summer have I discovered some of the awesomeness of the lake bottom (an old rowboat in center harbor, a dock before the entrance to salmon cove, this barge).

So my question is...what is the story behind this barge? How old is it? When did it sink? Why did it sink? I'd love to learn more about this!!!
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Cobalt 25

Default barge recollections

As for the historical details of the sinking of the barge, I haven't got a clue. What I CAN tell you, though, is that my first exploration of the barge came about 1960 or so. When we first discovered it, my older cousin and his friend (worldly 15 year olds) were convinced they were going to get rich salvaging all the "valuable" metal from the barge. Sad to say, nary a nickel was gleaned.

My last dive on site was in 2009, and to my recollection, it hasn't really changed that much in the last 50 years.

I, too, would be interested to learn more about the wreck.

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote