Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
belly_button_biter

Default Faro Italian Grille

We tried Faro Italian Grille.

They did a wonderful job redecorating the building. The interior decor is a bit more sophisticated than previously. They've added a number of dividers to create smaller and more intimate dining spaces and they painted.

We had the mussels and bruschetta for apps and a couple of pasta dishes for entrees. All were very good. The pasta was a true stand out. It was obviously very fresh. I think they have quickly risen to the top when it comes to Italian options for Laconia, Meredith, and Gilford.

We sat in the bar area and one thing that was a little uncomfortable for us was the behavior of the other guests. Very loud and a very frequent use of the F bomb. This never seemed to bother us in the past when the place had the feel of a roadhouse , however now with a more sophisticated feel it just didn't seem to fit.

I'm certain we'll dining here again.
belly_button_biter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to belly_button_biter For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (12-14-2014), KarenM (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Den65

Default Faro and Bike week

I'll be curious to see what happens at bike week next year will the tents go up and will the crowd go for the fine dining experience or will they go italian food served in black leather. How about we come up with some new specials for that week, Road House Ravioli's
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Woodsy

Default Faro was REALLY good!

Me and a few friends went there Friday night for dinner and drinks... Everyone had a great meal... we spilt an Antipasto (Incredible) the gf & I split an order of the Sachetti and got a side of Penne with Vodka sauce... both were in a word Excellent The desserts are straight out of the Modern in the North End! Unfortunately we were too full to try them...

We will def be back to try a few more items! Good luck to Rich, Mike & the rest of the Ray family!

Woodsy
KarenM (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
Bumble2249

Faro has set the bar for authentic italian restaurants in the lakes region. Real homemade pasta. Homemade sauces. Best of the best meats, cheeses, breads and desserts! There are other good restaurants here but as far as Italian cuisine is concerned, this is it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bumble2249; 12-15-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Bumble2249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
jacka82942

Default where is it?

i live in meredith
jacka82942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Is This the Place?

Faro Italian Grille
70 Endicott Street N
Laconia, NH
866-654-5565
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
webmaster

Thanked 3,722 Times in 822 Posts

There's also information about Faro (the old Lobster Pound) in this thread:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=18391

Please post any reviews of Faro here in this thread.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Smile Thanks!

Thanks, Don. I overlooked The Lobster Pound thread on my visit this morning because historically speaking, past LP threads have not been my kind of discussions. I wish them well in their new endeavor! 🇮🇹
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
webmaster (12-15-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 07:01 AM   #9
dpg

For those that have been to both how does this place stack up against Rossi's?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
Jeanzb1

Never went to the LP, but we did go to Faro's on Saturday night. It was very good, not over-the-top fantastic, but very good. There are many pasta dishes on the menu, reasonably priced. My only complaint is that a salad is not included, so you have to pay extra for that. The bread was good, and there was a nice dessert tray presented for you to choose from. We will definitely return!
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanzb1 For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (12-16-2014)
Old 12-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
dpg

Coming up between Xmas and new years. Where's my money better spent in your opinion Rossi's or Faro's. Don't worry won't hold anyone accountable - hahaha...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #12
Happy Gourmand

Not sure about Faro's as I haven't been yet, but you can't go wrong at Rossi's.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #13
Sal

Across the street from the (historical) "Weirs" sign.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #14
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Across the street from the (historical) "Weirs" sign.
I know spelling doesn't count and correcting it is frowned upon but I feel I must tell you that you spelled hysterical wrong!
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Crusty (12-17-2014), MeredithMan (12-17-2014), rander7823 (01-05-2015), ronc4424 (12-17-2014), Sal (12-19-2014), SteveO123 (12-17-2014)
Old 12-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
Phantom

Now THAT's funny

Old 12-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #16
jetskier

Post Went there today

Hi all,

We thought that we would give Faro a try and see for ourselves. We went over this evening at 5:00. The restaurant was partially full and they don't seem to be using the full facility. We were told that it was a 45 minute wait with one party in front of us. Really!

We left and had a nice meal else where.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #17
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Hi all,

We thought that we would give Faro a try and see for ourselves. We went over this evening at 5:00. The restaurant was partially full and they don't seem to be using the full facility. We were told that it was a 45 minute wait with one party in front of us. Really!

Jetskier

Hahaha! So you blame an establishment for trying to do the RIGHT thing??? Rather than sit you, essentially over promise you and let you experience a really awful dining experience. Geez shame on them!

There are two McDonald's located in Meredith and Laconia. They should be able to meet your "eat now" expectations. Enjoy.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #18
birchhaven

Bumble I like your restaurant, the pizza was always great but your antics on this website are not earning the establishment any character.
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birchhaven For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (12-20-2014), KPW (12-26-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #19
Den65

Default I agree

Quote:
Hi all,

Jetskier

I wouldn't have waited either, so where did you go?
Old 12-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #20
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchhaven View Post
Bumble I like your restaurant, the pizza was always great but your antics on this website are not earning the establishment any character.

That's even more of a laugh! I don't own Faro or work there even. I don't even own a restaurant. Haha... That made my night though.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #21
jetskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den65 View Post
I wouldn't have waited either, so where did you go?
We went over to Fratellos
Old 12-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #22
jetskier

Thumbs down Really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble2249 View Post
Hahaha! So you blame an establishment for trying to do the RIGHT thing??? Rather than sit you, essentially over promise you and let you experience a really awful dining experience. Geez shame on them!

There are two McDonald's located in Meredith and Laconia. They should be able to meet your "eat now" expectations. Enjoy.

First, I don't know who you are or your connection to the establishment.

Having to wait 45 minutes at 5:00 on a Saturday when the establishment is half full simply tells me that this restaurant is not really up and running. That was the point...as for a really awful dining experience, I will take your word for the fact that this is what this restaurant provides...personally, I was willing to give them a try. My mistake.

Jetskier
The Following User Says Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #23
KarenM

First Jetskier, I sincerely thank you for coming to Faro Italian Grille! Before working in the restaurant industry I had experiences similar to yours and wondered why I couldn't be seated earlier.

I was working at Faro last night, and what may not have been noticeable is that we had two large parties for dinner - one, a party of 25, was seated in the back room which is not visible from the lobby.

The Management at Faro is committed to providing an excellent dining experience to all guests and believe great service is an important part of that experience. Rather than seat a guest and disappoint them with a long wait for their meal, the manager chose to inform guests of a wait for tables, and accepted the risk that guests may choose to dine elsewhere. Please believe that none of us like to see a guest leave, but it is preferable to us providing a disappointing experience.

I believe we met before at another establishment (we had a discussion about Chefs and their love of heavy metal music !), and I truly hope that you consider visiting again!
KarenM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KarenM For This Useful Post:
Crusty (12-21-2014), jetskier (12-21-2014), jkjoshuatree (12-21-2014), Winnigirl (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #24
Bumble2249

Quote:
First, I don't know who you are or your connection to the establishment.

Having to wait 45 minutes at 5:00 on a Saturday when the establishment is half full simply tells me that this restaurant is not really up and running. That was the point...as for a really awful dining experience, I will take your word for the fact that this is what this restaurant provides...personally, I was willing to give them a try. My mistake.

Jetskier

Way to ignore the point of my post. But whatever makes you feel that your original post was justified I guess.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #25
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenM View Post
First Jetskier, I sincerely thank you for coming to Faro Italian Grille! Before working in the restaurant industry I had experiences similar to yours and wondered why I couldn't be seated earlier.

I was working at Faro last night, and what may not have been noticeable is that we had two large parties for dinner - one, a party of 25, was seated in the back room which is not visible from the lobby.

The Management at Faro is committed to providing an excellent dining experience to all guests and believe great service is an important part of that experience. Rather than seat a guest and disappoint them with a long wait for their meal, the manager chose to inform guests of a wait for tables, and accepted the risk that guests may choose to dine elsewhere. Please believe that none of us like to see a guest leave, but it is preferable to us providing a disappointing experience.

I believe we met before at another establishment (we had a discussion about Chefs and their love of heavy metal music !), and I truly hope that you consider visiting again!
Great explanation.

I feel guests being told of a long wait at a rather empty restaurant need to be made more aware of the situation. If I was simply told the wait was 45 minutes and the place was rather empty, I would not have been happy. If I was told the reason behind the long wait, I would have either sat down and had a drink waiting for a table or I would have left happy knowing the restaurant was doing the right thing.

Thanks for clearing this up. Keep up the good work!

R2B

Last edited by Resident 2B; 12-21-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
KarenM (12-22-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #26
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Karen, why wouldn't somebody have explained to Jetskiier the situation-large party etc.????
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #27
jetskier

Post Professional Response Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenM View Post

Hi Karen,

Thank you for the professional response.

I think that the reception desk folks can use a bit of training. If they explained that there were a couple of large parties and the kitchen was currently capacity limited, I would have been happy to wait. When you look at a relatively empty dining room with no one waiting in the reception area and are simply told that it will be 45 minutes it becomes a "huh?" moment.

The other suggestion is that you strongly recommend reservations. I don't think that you are really ready for walk in traffic that might strain your current capacity.

We will give it another shot another day (with a reservation :-) ).

Jetskier
Old 12-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #28
Rusty

It seems like the number of cars in the parking lot would have given you a hint that something was going on there.
Bumble2249 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #29
jetskier

Post Not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
It seems like the number of cars in the parking lot would have given you a hint that something was going on there.
The parking lot was pretty sparse....I would guess that there were about 30 cars total. The side room was empty and the dining room visible from the front was only a few filled tables. There was no one waiting in the foyer. It was about 5:00 on a Saturday (early) and off season.

As Karen indicated, there were a couple of large parties in the back and that is what fully subscribed them. If we were told that, we would have probably stayed. However, an empty looking restaurant with a long wait did not compute.

I think that Karen provided a good explanation and we will try it another day. My conclusion is that they are capacity limited at this point (reasonable) and it makes no sense to go there without a reservation. That is what we will do in the future.

Jetskier
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
KarenM (12-22-2014), Rusty (12-21-2014), upthesaukee (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 11:47 PM   #30
KarenM

Thank you all for your responses! I will definitely pass on the recommendation that guests be informed of the reason for an extended wait for a table. Our hostesses do a great job, I think possibly (like myself) they did not know the reason for a delay would impact someone's decision to wait or to leave. I learned something today!
KarenM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KarenM For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (12-22-2014), secondcurve (12-22-2014), upthesaukee (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 12:44 AM   #31
Denny Crane

Default Can't win!

I think it's better to be honest, as in this case. Just because there are tables open doesn't mean a restaurant isn't busy. We don't know what it takes to plan and staff every night. On the other hand if someone was seated wiith no mention of a wait time we'd be reading about how slow the service was! Can't win. To me, wait times might suggest something worth waiting for.
DC
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Denny Crane For This Useful Post:
KarenM (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #32
Phantom

KarenM -- glad you jumped in .. I think you did a great service for Faro by doing so - showing you are watching the "Critic's" Reviews & responding professionally.

It is a good sign that a Restaurant is listening.

To others, regardless of where you go to dine ... be aware that another very common experience is that there is a wait for tables ... as you look around you see many open and available and you begin to get suspect .... . in reality, for any number of reasons, the establishment simply does not have on enough wait staff. This can be due to poor planning or simply an unexpected slam of larger parties.

Bumble2249 (12-22-2014), CGI3 (12-22-2014), jeffk (12-22-2014), KarenM (12-22-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #33
GUNNER

Default 30% Discount

Here is link to Dollar Saver for 30% off certificate for Faro.
http://nhdollarsaver.dollarsavershow...rtiser_id=4757
GUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #34
robmac

I am happy to see the proactive approach from Faro, it to me shows they care and want to be a positive and prosperous business in the lakes region. Kudo's to the Ray family and their team members.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #35
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
I am happy to see the proactive approach from Faro, it to me shows they care and want to be a positive and prosperous business in the lakes region. Kudo's to the Ray family and their team members.
I completely agree. Their approach to communication is what is needed to be successful. I cannot wait to eat there sometime very soon. If it was not for the proactive communication, I would not feel this way. Well done KarenM!

Good luck to the Ray family with Faro!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (12-24-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 07:52 AM   #36
Phantom

Okay -- Finally got the opportunity to stop in and have dinner.

To begin, I must admit, I have never been to the "Lobster Pound" in the past as neither the building nor menu held any attraction for my wife & I and thus cannot speak directly to the amount of renovations that may have been done... but with that said:

We went over Friday night after Christmas, surprisingly, as it was just after Christmas, the place was reasonably crowded. Perhaps the newness?

Immediately upon entering we were greeted by two hosts with smiles on their faces and arranged for "High Top" seating in the lounge area -- our preference this night. My wife & I immediately went and took a tour of the place and I must say QUITE impressive ... with a larger Barn like room apparently for functions and very quaint table seating arrangements throughout the rest of the facility. The notable aspect was the patio ... which if managed and laid out correctly could be a "Home Run" for the facility in the Summer months. The lounge area was very comfortable with sofa and chair seating on both sides/ends which mixed with the High tops perfectly... plenty of "wide screens" (volumes off).

To the food -- our service was impeccable with our waitress constantly checking back . Our service began with a selection of breads -- I highly recommend the olive bread (yummm)

Our meals were "very good" -- Great is a highly reserved word --it is clear the Chef takes pride as there was careful consideration of "dish presentation". I had the Bolognese and my wife had the parmingian -- neither of us could finish which speaks to the serving sizes.

Overall -- a GREAT addition to the area .... I sincerely hope they do well.

Bumble2249 (12-29-2014), Greene's Basin Girl (12-30-2014), KarenM (01-04-2015), Resident 2B (12-29-2014), SteveO123 (12-29-2014), VitaBene (12-30-2014), WakeboardMom (12-29-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 05:57 AM   #37
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Phantom, a quick note on pricing would be helpful. Thanks!
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #38
Phantom

Sorry --

Overall I would say it was very "reasonable" ....

My wife's comment was "this place could be dangerous" (meaning a place you can frequent)..... the average plate pricing certainly won't break the bank aka a night at "O".

Our night cost $85.00 (with Tip) ... that included 4 wines, Chix Parm, Pasta Bolognese and one decadent desert (we split).

To us, that is quite average !
Old 12-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #39
thinkxingu

Great, thanks!
Old 12-31-2014, 07:14 AM   #40
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

We stopped by early last evening and had a good experience. We sat at the bar and there were several other couples in the lounge area and a family group in the corner with the 2 sofas and large tv. The atmosphere was pleasant with quiet conservation and low key background music. Of course this was a Tuesday evening and the lounge may be quite different on a weekend with a Pats game on TV.

Here is a link to the menu sans prices:
http://11713776.sites.myregisteredsi...s/97472834.pdf
Most entries are in the $16 to $24 range.

I had the Ziti alla Buongustaia which the barkeep said I could order even if I could not pronounce it (she could not either). I found it to be good but not quite a very good rating, did bring some home for lunch. My wife had the Ravioli del Giorno, last evening it was stuffed with portobello mushrooms with a cream sauce. She rated it as "Yummy" or very good. We both appreciated the fresh pasta.

My only complaint was the limited draft beer choice although we both had a pale ale that was good. For some reason all of the available beer glasses were frozen, maybe ok for bud lite but not a good choice for a decent draft. I had to have her reuse the same glass for a 2nd beer.

We do plan to return and try other items from the fairly extensive menu.

Last edited by Slickcraft; 12-31-2014 at 03:55 PM. Reason: clarity
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
KarenM (01-04-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #41
Den65

Thumbs up Faro's tonight

Went to Faro tonght for dinner, got seated in 5 min's nice booth . Started with the shrimp (2 huge shrimp) expensive but delicious and the calimari and had the spicy sauce on the side,tasty and plenty of it. I had the Veal chop special.......delicious , the wife had chicken marsala tender and delicious (have I said delicious enough)and the daughter had chicken parm........I'm not saying it again. We all had the home made pasta which was cooked perfect. Portions size was good (2 boxes going home) got the neopolitan for desert (right out of modern pastry) and the cream of biscotti gelato sounds funny tastes incredible. All in all a great meal, give them a shot I don't think you will be disapointed
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Den65 For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (01-02-2015), GBGX2 (01-03-2015), jetskier (01-03-2015), KarenM (01-04-2015), Resident 2B (01-10-2015), SteveO123 (01-05-2015), VitaBene (01-02-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 11:22 PM   #42
jetskier

Thumbs up Stopped by this evening - excellent!

Hi all,

We finally had a chance to stop in to Faro Italian Grille and try it out.

First, they have not completed the renovation, so there are about 10 tables in the dining area and a number of seats/tables in the bar. As such....MAKE A RESERVATION. We were told that they will be completing the renovation by the summer to add more finished capacity. I believe that you can sit in the un-renovated section, but it is a bit on the rustic side.

Second, the decor has changed significantly. The lounge area has a spacious bar with high top tables and a couple of areas with couches. There are a number of televisions which make it a good spot for watching a game. We were seated at a table in the lounge.

We started out with the shrimp cocktail. It consisted of two huge shrimp with a side of lemon and sauce. My wife had the Caesar salad...it had a more creamy dressing than a typical Caesar salad and included sliced egg. She was pleased.

We opted for a couple of chicken dishes that included pasta as sides. Everything was great...minor critique, the red sauce on the pasta was a little sweet for our taste. The pasta was nicely cooked al dente.

We finished with dessert and cappuccino (finally a restaurant in the lakes region that does cappuccino). The desserts are from Modern Pastry in the North End; they are nothing short of decadent.

This is a big upgrade for Italian cuisine in the lakes region. I don't think that there is anything else that comes close.

Jetskier
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (01-10-2015), GBGX2 (01-10-2015), Resident 2B (01-10-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 10:16 PM   #43
GTO

Default Expensive

Got take out there tonight for the first time. 2large cheese pizzas, $35. Seriously!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #44
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Got take out there tonight for the first time. 2large cheese pizzas, $35. Seriously!!!!!!!!
That seems about right for an "artisan" style pizza, which I assume Faro is doing. If you wanted cheap pizza, there are options in the area.
Bumble2249 (01-12-2015), Reilly (01-13-2015), VitaBene (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #45
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
That seems about right for an "artisan" style pizza, which I assume Faro is doing. If you wanted cheap pizza, there are options in the area.
Q: What is the difference between an artisan pizza and a good pizza from the local pizza shop? A: About $8
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #46
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default 'Artisan' Pizza

900 Degrees pizza in Manchester, I would say the 'standard bearer' for artisan pizzas in NH charge $29 for two large cheese pizza. Faro is a bit over price.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #47
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Faro is a bit over price.
Somebody has to pay for the renovation.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #48
Phantom

I have to say their Margarita pizza was VERY good the night we had it.

I've had better, but then again that was in Northern Italy !

Old 01-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #49
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default There Is A Difference...

"Artisan Pizza" is usually comprised of fresh ingredients instead of canned. Mushrooms, tomatoes, and other similar vegetables are sliced fresh not from a can. Dough is usually made fresh while other establishments may use frozen dough that is thawed then served. Sauce is made fresh daily with fresh ingredients and not from a large plastic container that's usually refrigerated day after day or heaven forbid, comes in frozen then thawed and served! YUK!

Elacoya Barn and grill serves this kind of artisan pizza and it simply cannot be compared with a Pizza Hut or Dominos type establishment.

Dan
VitaBene (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 02:13 PM   #50
Woodsy

Default It's not Take-Out...

I don't get it....

Faro's is NOT a take out pizza joint. If you want a cheap take out pizza go to any one of the 10 local pizza chains. They (like Ellacoya, Guiseppes, Lago etc) do take out as a courtesy to their customers. 2 large cheese pizzas at Papa Ginos will set you back $24 + tax.

Woodsy
Bumble2249 (01-12-2015), Reilly (01-13-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #51
GTO

Default thats weird....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I don't get it....

Faro's is NOT a take out pizza joint. If you want a cheap take out pizza go to any one of the 10 local pizza chains. They (like Ellacoya, Guiseppes, Lago etc) do take out as a courtesy to their customers. 2 large cheese pizzas at Papa Ginos will set you back $24 + tax.

Woodsy
I ordered over the phone, I drove there, they had it ready at the front desk, I took it out. I figure if I order from Papa Gino's, I can get 3 large pizza's for the price of 2 Faro pizzas
Bumble2249 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #52
Bumble2249

Quote:
I ordered over the phone, I drove there, they had it ready at the front desk, I took it out. I figure if I order from Papa Gino's, I can get 3 large pizza's for the price of 2 Faro pizzas

I'm sure you can but what Woodsy is saying is that there's no comparison between the two. I've eaten at both places and Faros pizza is fresh and uses whole ingredients. Not processed crap.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #53
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Dominoes

I think during the week, you can get a large pizza with three toppings of your choice delivered for $7.99. Their spinach/feta cheese and grilled chicken beats Papa Gino's and Pizza Hut.
Bumble2249 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #54
Rusty

Quote:
I've eaten at both places and Faros pizza is fresh and uses whole ingredients. Not processed crap.

How do you know?
Old 01-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #55
baygo

Default NoTest-Tube Pizza For Me.

Farrow Italian Grill has been open about a month now and I've eaten there 4 times. The last time the Misses and I went we had the shrimp cocktail, brushetta, Margarita Pizza, and a bottle of Banfi Brunello. I bought a couple of drinks for two familiar faces at the bar and the bill totaled $200. We didn't bat an eye. IMHO They are doing a very good job. The food has always been prepared well and tastes very fresh.

Yes you can find test-tube pizza made from GMO ingredients for a lot less but before you bite into it you may want to question why the GMO practice has been banned in so many countries other than the USA.

I applaud Farrow for the effort to join the ranks of Lakes Region Restaurants serving clean food. It is not their fault that in costs more.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 05:32 PM   #56
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I think during the week, you can get a large pizza with three toppings of your choice delivered for $7.99. Their spinach/feta cheese and grilled chicken beats Papa Gino's and Pizza Hut.
Is Domino's still using imitation cheese to copliment the other GMO ingredients?
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:42 PM   #57
Bumble2249

Quote:
How do you know?

Is this a serious question? When you order let's say a sausage pizza and Faro puts sliced Italian sausage on their pizza and Papa Gino's puts little pieces of sausage crumbles on theirs, I'd say it's pretty obvious.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #58
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Is Domino's still using imitation cheese to copliment the other GMO ingredients?

Seriously right! Dominoes is nasty stuff.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #59
Rusty

Quote:
Is this a serious question? When you order let's say a sausage pizza and Faro puts sliced Italian sausage on their pizza and Papa Gino's puts little pieces of sausage crumbles on theirs, I'd say it's pretty obvious.

It was a serious question.

This is what Papa Gino's has in their sausage:
Pork, water, corn syrup solids, salt, spices, dextrose, paprika, garlic, lemon juice powder (corn syrup solids, lemon juice, lemon oil), flavorings, BHA, BHT, citric acid.

Can you tell me what the ingredients are in Faro's sausage?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #60
thinkxingu

Quote:
You could get 35 Mama Celeste's pizzas, too. Or 66 Elio's slices. Deee-lish. (Can't believe I replied to this)
Old 01-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #61
Bumble2249

Quote:
It was a serious question.

This is what Papa Gino's has in their sausage:

Pork, water, corn syrup solids, salt, spices, dextrose, paprika, garlic, lemon juice powder (corn syrup solids, lemon juice, lemon oil), flavorings, BHA, BHT, citric acid.

Can you tell me what the ingredients are in Faro's sausage?

Here what's in a real Italian Sausage. Ready? Pork, spices and a natural casing to hold it all together. No bha, bht, citric acid, preservatives, corn syrup, lemon juice, dextrose. Should I keep going?? The fact is that Faro uses whole foods. Homemade foods. Products that are not mass produced. Quality NOT Quantity is what defines a really great restaurant. But hey, not everyone cares about quality.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #62
Rusty

Quote:
Here what's in a real Italian Sausage. Ready? Pork, spices and a natural casing to hold it all together. No bha, bht, citric acid, preservatives, corn syrup, lemon juice, dextrose. Should I keep going?? The fact is that Faro uses whole foods. Homemade foods. Products that are not mass produced. Quality NOT Quantity is what defines a really great restaurant. But hey, not everyone cares about quality.

Thank you, but what is in Faro's sausage?

Not trying to give you a hard time, it's just that you said that you know, so could you tell me. I like natural stuff.
Maybe I'll try Faro's if they don't use all that nasty stuff in their food.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #63
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default Loaded With MSG

Read this article on chain pizza joints and what they are really feeding you and you may never eat another pizza again!

http://foodbabe.com/2014/03/23/if-yo...low-your-mind/
BroadHopper (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #64
Bumble2249

Quote:
Thank you, but what is in Faro's sausage?

Not trying to give you a hard time, it's just that you said that you know, so could you tell me. I like natural stuff.

Maybe I'll try Faro's if they don't use all that nasty stuff in their food.

Rusty, that's the point of my last post. They use a real authentic sausage.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #65
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Q: What is the difference between an artisan pizza and a good pizza from the local pizza shop? A: About $8
In all seriousness, if you *truly* believe that, then you are absolutely best off ordering from the local quickie takeout.

For almost any food or beverage category there are "Good, Better, Best" options. I haven't been to Faro yet, but it *appears* from their general positioning they are trying to put themselves somewhere in the Better to Best category. Comparing any of their menu items to price-optimized "Good" offerings isn't even logical.

Perhaps their pizzas aren't worth $17+ to you. That's OK, but I don't think they have any intention of placing themselves in the low-budget pizza category. Their biggest competitor may be simply lack of sufficient same-class competition in the area.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:45 AM   #66
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
In all seriousness, if you *truly* believe that, then you are absolutely best off ordering from the local quickie takeout.

For almost any food or beverage category there are "Good, Better, Best" options. I haven't been to Faro yet, but it *appears* from their general positioning they are trying to put themselves somewhere in the Better to Best category. Comparing any of their menu items to price-optimized "Good" offerings isn't even logical.

Perhaps their pizzas aren't worth $17+ to you. That's OK, but I don't think they have any intention of placing themselves in the low-budget pizza category. Their biggest competitor may be simply lack of sufficient same-class competition in the area.
As I noted earlier we have eaten at Faro and enjoyed the visit. The pizza order reported was $17.50 each for plain cheese pizza. IMHO that is way overpriced but if you think that is just right then that's OK. Go for it.

I normally make my own pizza at home, dough in the bread machine and my own sauce. If we do buy pizza, it is from a local independent shop. Never tried a chain. At the Alton Village Pizza a large cheese pizza is $9.60 and in my opinion very good dough and sauce. Any added veg toppings are always sliced fresh, not canned. Of course this is not a nice decor eat-in place.

BTW, a cheese pizza at Ellacoya is $11.

Last edited by Slickcraft; 01-13-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #67
Mr. V

Quote:
Out here near Portland, Oregon two large cheese pies from a very good quality, "authentic" NY-style pizzeria cost $30.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #68
LongBay

Default Pizza, Pizza

Up the street at Church Landing you can get the Lakehouse Pizza with Maine lobster, asparagus, scallions, mascarpone, Parmesan and mozzarella for $14.00.
BTW, there are no F-bombs going off in the background.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:44 PM   #69
belly_button_biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post
Up the street at Church Landing you can get the Lakehouse Pizza with Maine lobster, asparagus, scallions, mascarpone, Parmesatheir crust is disgustingn and mozzarella for $14.00.
I really don't like profanity while dining but I would rather sit and listen to the best of Em in Em while dining than eat another common man pizza. Their crust is disgusting.
belly_button_biter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:08 PM   #70
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post
Up the street at Church Landing you can get the Lakehouse Pizza with Maine lobster, asparagus, scallions, mascarpone, Parmesan and mozzarella for $14.00.

Longbay, the pizza that you are referring to is an APPETIZER! It better be a big APPETIZER for $14!! As far as the F BOMBS that you are referring to..., I've never had that issue at the Lobster Pound or at Faro. But I will say that I've heard F BOMBS at most places that I've eaten. Lago, The Mug, The Lakehouse, T Bones just to name a few. It's what happens when you leave your house and subject your ears to the public. That's all.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:57 PM   #71
Bumble2249

Quote:

Thinking about it more... You should have gone to Papa Gino's in the first place.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:04 AM   #72
GTO

Default you kidding....

Quote:
Thinking about it more... You should have gone to Papa Gino's in the first place.

you kidding, I'm going to go pick up the 35 Mama Celeste pizzas and still have money left over for a redbox movie. And to be honest, the pizza from Faro's wasn't anything special anyways, especially for the price (I dont eat pizza but thats what I was told). We will try Faro's for the pasta when we get the chance (I dont eat pasta either so I'll have to rely on my family for the critique).
Old 01-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #73
Puck

Personally if I am going out to an Italian restaurant I do not want to hear any f-bombs in the background. "Che cazzo fai?!?" on the other hand is completely acceptable... especially if some line cook made something that looked like it came from Papa Gino's and tried to send it out of the kitchen calling it a "pizza."
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #74
Phantom

Did We all lose sight of the fact that Faro is NOT specializing in Pizza !!

It is ONE (and only one) of their many menu offerings

Old 01-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #75
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Did We all lose sight of the fact that Faro is NOT specializing in Pizza !!

It is ONE (and only one) of their many menu offerings

That's an odd statement to make because this is what Faro's says on their web-site:

"Our most popular menu items are our pizzas, which cost $10 to $30. We make pizzas with sliced tomato, mozzarella cheese, and balsamic glaze. In addition, we offer handmade, gluten-free pasta. If you're looking to take our exquisite menu to your party, we offer catering that requires two weeks' to a month's notice."

http://www.faroitaliangrille.com/Ita...aconia-NH.html
Old 01-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #76
Bumble2249

Quote:
That's an odd statement to make because this is what Faro's says on their web-site:

"Our most popular menu items are our pizzas, which cost $10 to $30. We make pizzas with sliced tomato, mozzarella cheese, and balsamic glaze. In addition, we offer handmade, gluten-free pasta. If you're looking to take our exquisite menu to your party, we offer catering that requires two weeks' to a month's notice."

http://www.faroitaliangrille.com/Ita...aconia-NH.html

Hey Rusty, is your building in the Weirs still available for lease?

Old 01-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #77
Rusty

Quote:
Hey Rusty, is your building in the Weirs still available for lease?

I’m trying to get someone who will open a sausage factory there that only uses Pork, spices and a natural casing to hold them all together.
So far no luck.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #78
Bumble2249

Quote:
I’m trying to get someone who will open a sausage factory there that only uses Pork, spices and a natural casing to hold them all together.

So far no luck.

So I guess that's a no?

Old 01-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #79
wifi

Default Hmmmmm

There seems to be a few in the last 10 posts that present too much insight not to be personally involved in the food industry and(likely)/or have a stake in something.

It would be really nice/fair/honest if these people really revealed their actual position, then again, this is the real world, its its WAY too much to hope for....
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-15-2015), Phantom (01-15-2015), Pine Island Guy (01-15-2015), VitaBene (01-14-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 10:59 PM   #80
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
So I guess that's a no?

Rusty is a phantom. Perhaps you are thinking of another forum member that owns a restaurant site in the Weirs.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:44 PM   #81
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Rusty is a phantom. Perhaps you are thinking of another forum member that owns a restaurant site in the Weirs.

Vita, what exactly is a phantom? I'm aware what the definition is, but what does it mean to be a "phantom" on the forum?

Last edited by Bumble2249; 01-15-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Bumble2249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:18 AM   #82
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Nothing bad about Rusty but he/she hides their real identity well on this forum.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:16 AM   #83
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default I'll take a wild guess.....

"Rusty" McLear comes to mind....?????

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #84
Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
There seems to be a few in the last 10 posts that present too much insight not to be personally involved in the food industry and(likely)/or have a stake in something.

It would be really nice/fair/honest if these people really revealed their actual position, then again, this is the real world, its its WAY too much to hope for....
My post falls within the specified 10 so I'll respond. I am not in the food industry and have no stake in this. I have spent some time in Italy, some of that in the kitchen with Italian friends. I have consumed serious quantities of pizza while there. Pizza in Italy does vary by region, but as yet I have not found any that resembles American pizza. The closest would be in Sienna which has a large presence of American students. If you like American deep dish then the comparison would be to Italian pizza rustica, it is somewhat similar but still not quite the same thing.

All that aside, my post was more cultural humor than critique. One cannot overstate how passionate Italians are about food and you will likely take some good natured ribbing if you prep something "wrong." And thus you all now know how to say wtf in Italian...
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:43 AM   #85
Rusty

Quote:

I don't have a stake in any restaurant or business in NH.
My comment about the sausage factory was just to humor a fellow forum member.
Bumble2249 (01-27-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #86
Bumble2249

I have zero ownership interests in any restaurant. I have a good deal of restaurant knowledge from schooling and past restaurant management positions. Nor am I friends with any of the restaurant owners in this area. Sorry for the let down.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #87
secondcurve

Quote:
I don't have a stake in any restaurant or business in NH.
My comment about the sausage factory was just to humor a fellow forum member.
Rusty I always thought you were the Rusty from the Meredith restaurant fame. Not correct?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #88
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
My post falls within the specified 10 so I'll respond. ...................
It wasn't you I was referring to, Vita had a good guess.

I have a friend that went to Italy and has said exactly the same things you did about Italian Pizza vs American. Thanks, I appreciate your input
Old 01-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #89
wifi

Quote:
I have zero ownership interests in any restaurant.
You portray personal knowledge of the ins and outs of every restaurant in the area. If what you claim is true, I'm marveled at what you have put together.

Quote:
...... Sorry for the let down.
I wasn't trying to out anything, I study things ad nausium, and I can't hold a candle to the conclusions/knowledge you imply

Last edited by wifi; 01-16-2015 at 03:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
Woodlandsgirl (01-20-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 11:36 PM   #90
Bumble2249

Quote:
You portray personal knowledge of the ins and outs of every restaurant in the area. If what you claim is true, I'm marveled at what you have put together.

I wasn't trying to out anything, I study things ad nausium, and I can hold a candle to the conclusions/knowledge you imply

Is it not ok to have an educated opinion? That's all it is that I have. My professional experience has given me the knowledge and know how in regards to the hospitality business. That's all.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #91
Pine Island Guy

Quote:
I have zero ownership interests in any restaurant. I have a good deal of restaurant knowledge from schooling and past restaurant management positions. Nor am I friends with any of the restaurant owners in this area. Sorry for the let down.
Quote:
The Lobster a Pound has Great Lake views and tons of space to accommodate your party. If you'd like a last minute reservation, private message me.
From your earlier post it made it sound like you do have friends in the business...

Ice Ice and more Ice, but be safe out there! -PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #92
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy View Post
From your earlier post it made it sound like you do have friends in the business...

Ice Ice and more Ice, but be safe out there! -PIG

Pig, I used to have a friend that waited on tables at the Lobster Pound. She's however no longer there.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #93
smith point boater

Default Friday

Went to Faro's last nite for the first time. First nice touch was the complimentary valet service. We could have been seated right away at a table but chose to sit at the bar in the lounge area - so no wait issues. Service, drink and food were all very good. Lots of great choices on the menu. Only suggestion is to get higher seated bar stools (30"?). The existing ones seat a little low. Gave my car ticket stub to server when we paid and car was outside the door and warm when we walked out. We would go back
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smith point boater For This Useful Post:
lobstadanca (02-24-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #94
LongShort

Thumbs up

Went to Faro's last Thursday with the family. They appeared to sit us in the "kid friendly" section of the restaurant which was fine with us as we understand that people without kids are sometimes disturbed by the additional noise. The food was fantastic. All four of us really enjoyed our meals and my daughter almost jumped out of her seat when the dessert tray was brought out. We ended up taking dessert home as we stuffed ourselves on our entrees as we couldn't stop eating them they were so good. We almost went back the next night again with my in-laws because we enjoyed it so much and wanted to try some other items we debated but did not get. We will definitely be back.
LongShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #95
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith point boater View Post
Went to Faro's last nite for the first time. First nice touch was the complimentary valet service. We could have been seated right away at a table but chose to sit at the bar in the lounge area - so no wait issues. Service, drink and food were all very good. Lots of great choices on the menu. Only suggestion is to get higher seated bar stools (30"?). The existing ones seat a little low. Gave my car ticket stub to server when we paid and car was outside the door and warm when we walked out. We would go back
Here's a Little known fact for you !

Sit in the bar stools on the end of the bar furthest from the dining area (Cumberland Farms end) & you'll be fine. Sit in the ones closer to the restaurant section you'll feel like a kid needing a booster seat.

Me thinks it's not the stools -- it's the bar is perfectly level and the floor is the level with the ground (downward sloping !)

Ask a bartender or barmaid the next time !!

smith point boater (02-27-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #96
Den65

Thumbs up Tuesday night at faro

Went tuesday night (last night) for our 25th anniversary sat at the bar (the high end) and had a great meal. if you haven't been there go before the summer because you will need reservations by then. I've been about 7 times and haven't been disapointed yet. My fav is the eggplant but I've only had it twice so I guess I'll have to give it a few more try's. The wife is hooked on the chicken marsala. i do recomend the antipasto for an appetizer, very good. Also Richards home made Limoncello is a great finish to a tasty meal (if they have left it goes fast).
The Following User Says Thank You to Den65 For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (03-05-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #97
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Faro has set the bar for authentic italian restaurants in the lakes region. Real homemade pasta. Homemade sauces. Best of the best meats, cheeses, breads and desserts! There are other good restaurants here but as far as Italian cuisine is concerned, this is it.
Bumble they've used your quote (above) in an article on Faro's Italian Grille today in the Laconia Daily sun!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:14 PM   #98
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Bumble they've used your quote (above) in an article on Faro's Italian Grille today in the Laconia Daily sun!

Did they really? What was the article? A write up in the restaurant or something? I haven't had a chance to read the sun today. Thats pretty cool! Thanks for letting me know. I'll be sure to check it out!

Old 03-28-2015, 07:02 PM   #99
Rusty

Quote:
Did they really? What was the article? A write up in the restaurant or something? I haven't had a chance to read the sun today. Thats pretty cool! Thanks for letting me know. I'll be sure to check it out!

This is what the article said about you and you can read one page of the article below:

A week after it opened, an enthusiastic customer who identified him-or-her self as Bumble 2249 wrote in the Winnipesaukee Forum, ‘’Faro has set the
bar for authentic Italian restaurants in the Lakes Region. Real homemade pasta. Homemade sauces. Best of the best meats, cheeses, breads and desserts! There are other good restaurants here but as far as Italian cuisine is concerned, this is it.’’
Those kinds of endorsements are music to the ears of Richard Ray, whose family had operated the Lobster Pound since 2007 and has operated an Italian
restaurant in Boston’s North End for decades.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Faro.pdf (559.3 KB, 361 views)
Bumble2249 (03-29-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #100
sum-r breeze

Default Packed!!

Just an observation ..... This place was packed on Saturday night! So much so that we passed on dinner there until maybe another "not so busy" night to try them out. They must be doing something right to be THAT busy on a late March night. Good news for the Weirs Beach neighborhood BIGTIME!! Can't wait to finally try them.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sum-r breeze For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (04-01-2015), VitaBene (04-01-2015)