Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How is the local diving?
great! 1 5.88%
ok 8 47.06%
Good vis 30' 3 17.65%
Bad vis under 15' 5 29.41%
underwater buildings to see 0 0%
underwater caves to see 1 5.88%
underwater boats to see 3 17.65%
underwater trains to see 4 23.53%
walls 2 11.76%
please post about dive shops 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
cortevans

Thumbs down Scuba

I'm new to NH, moved up to Conway from NJ. I'm looking for a place to dive locally. I'm certifed advanced diver. I'm looking to check out my equiptment before I head to Bermuda next week. Is there any local diving with easy access? I do not have a boat so I'm looking for a shore dive. I'd love to do a boat dive but I don't think there are any running during the week. I have Wensday thru Friday open. I've been told of a cove "Clarks" I think but have no idea where it is. If anyone can help me out it be great.
cortevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
Grant

Dive Winnipesaukee in Wolfeboro (divewinnipesaukee.com) run Friday evening charters on their boat -- docked right behind the shop in Wolfeboro. Friday is a one-tanker. Great operation -- helpful, friendly, knowledgeable staff. There are also plenty of good shore dives to be had throughout the region. A good summary of some of the more popular sites can be found here: http://aquaticspecialties.net/divesites.html

Viz: Far from Bermuda, and depends on the location (72 square miles of lake...lots of variety in everything, including viz). But lots to see & find.

(BTW...I'm an Evans, too...)
Old 07-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #3
Gatto Nero

Although I'm sure others would disagree, the Lady of the Lake is the only thing I've seen in the past ten years of diving here that was worth putting all my gear on for other than checking my mooring. Other than that it's just mud. Below 20' it gets real murky.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
Grant

Try these:
  • Navy test site off Diamond Island
  • "Empty Pockets" at the same location
  • Parker Island wall
  • Rum Point
  • Ship & Moose Island shoals & wrecks
  • Artifacts around any old island with houses

Each of these sites has good viz far below 20 feet, although you'll find most of the best diving throughout the Lake is found in less than 40 feet. The deeper, clearer parts of the Lake offer better viz, and it's always better before the late-summer warm up when the algae blooms wreck everything.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
cortevans

Smile Thanks

Do you know where I can get a map of these places? Do I need a boat to access them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Try these:
  • Navy test site off Diamond Island
  • "Empty Pockets" at the same location
  • Parker Island wall
  • Rum Point
  • Ship & Moose Island shoals & wrecks
  • Artifacts around any old island with houses

Each of these sites has good viz far below 20 feet, although you'll find most of the best diving throughout the Lake is found in less than 40 feet. The deeper, clearer parts of the Lake offer better viz, and it's always better before the late-summer warm up when the algae blooms wreck everything.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
Grant

Diamond Island, Parker, Ship & Moose, most islands all require a boat, for the most part. The wall off of Clarks point is accessible via a public area. I will look for the specifics. Can't say where to park, etc., because I've only approached from the water. But, again, with 72 square miles of lake, there's a pantload of variety -- regardless what you're looking for. "Vacation" divers will be unimpressed with the viz, the temps, the depths, and the lack of exotic fish, but if you're a northeast diver (read: one who digs cold water, murky conditions, etc.) it's a playground.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
Captain Zipper

Default Vacation Diver

Grant,

I guess I definitely fall under that heading. I started off being a New England Diver, then did diving in the Carribbean and Mexico. Warm water, great visibility..................

My last dive was in the "Living Seas" at Walt Disney World. Best Dive yet! Warm water, great visibility, tons of fish, and you can goof on the people in the restaurant thru the glass.

Tough to get old.

CZ
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #8
cortevans

Talking scuba

I've logged a lot of bottem time in the east. A lot of dives at Dutch Springs (of course) I find that a fun place. Some river dives, and night river dives with current, some wreck dives off the Jersey shore, and some medium sized lakes, so I'm used to the murk and cold. But I've also logged bottem time in the Bahamas, Bermua, the Keys( first ...and only encounter with a shark!) 10' away from me, I thought it way my dive buddy at first till I saw him on the other side of me.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #9
cortevans

Wink Living seas

I've read about diving at Micky's house it was cool huh? I'll bet it was a pretty penny. Tell me, while you were diving did you make anyone barf while eating?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:54 AM   #10
Grant

That sounds cool. Love to try it.

I was going to join the dive team at the Jersey state aquarium, just over the river. They supply everything, too, so you don't have to schlep your gear. Problem was the time commitment -- too many weekends that I just don't have to spare. Perhaps when the kids get older...
Old 07-05-2007, 10:47 AM   #11
Mike M.

Grant,

In your opinion, which part of the lake has the best visibility?

Could you share some more details on the dive “empty pockets?”

Thanks,
Mike
Mike M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:52 AM   #12
Grant

Got me. I am definitely not the one to ask. Let's throw it out there for WinnipesaukeeDivers and Diver111, both of whom have LOADS more Winni bottom time than I will ever have.

Empty Pockets -- Northwest side of Diamond in ~54 ffw. There's a line running from a dinghy closer to shore. Viz is usually pretty good around Diamond, and in general in the Broads areas vs. Melvin Bay and the more "closed" and shallow portions of the Lake...

g
Old 07-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #13
Captain Zipper

Default Mickey's Pool

Here is the link to the website.....

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...ourPage&bhcp=1

When I went it was about $125, I thought it was worth it. I had a blast. It's not just the dive, it's the whole back stage experience seeing how the place works. Great instructors, they totally put you at ease. So if your rusty at diving they make it very easy for you.

I didn't get anyone to barf but I had fun goofing on them. You come down the wall inverted to the top of the window sill and then you lower yourself down a bit. The kids notice you first and as you see them whack their parents and point at you, you slide back up. You do it a few times before the parents catch on.

I did get some to join in while I did the macarena underwater.

CZ
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #14
cortevans

Default Mickey's house

$125 isn't bad when you think about it. If you dive in a caribian resort (or from a cruise ship) you'll pay that much. Kids are great they get so excited to see new and strange things like upsidedown divers while their eating.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #15
Mike M.

I was thinking about doing a dive this week at empty pockets, does anyone know the approximate coordinates for the site?

Thank you,
Mike
Mike M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #16
gtxrider

Default Diver Down

I was just channel surfing and came across a TV show on CN8 called Diver Down. The boat looked familiar so I stopped and took a look. Sure enough it was the DIVE WINNIPEASUKEE. The show did a dive on the Lady of the Lake, The Endicote and dive on rock formations. Amazing!
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote