Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-01-2014, 06:38 AM   #1
olimec

Default Lake water level

Does anyone know why they've let so much water out of the lake so early? Had to take our jet skis and boat off their lifts it's so low...
olimec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
DEJ

Lack of rain is the cause of the lower water levels. The dam has to maintain a certain flow to protect down stream interests, it is a tough job and the dam guy does a great job of juggling.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default It is low

It does seem a lot lower this year than it was at the same time last year.

I had to use power with the drive trimmed up to get the boat off of the lift for a ride on Sunday. With the drive trimmed up in reverse it also lifts the boat a little and eases the job of backing it off. My lift was lowered so it was sitting on the bottom and usually the boat floats off easily. Not so on Sunday.

When we returned I dropped the passengers at the dock (every pound helps to let the boat rise) and had a lot of difficulty forcibly driving it back on to the lift. The same lift principle that helps in reverse works against you going forward. It's a catch 22, raise the drive a litle to avoid hitting bottom, but it pushes down on the boat.

Oh well, it was a great ride to remember all winter, but it will have to be the last one of the summer.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Actually the lake isn't all that low right now for this time of year statically speaking. I might be lower then last year, but it has been this low quite often at this time of year. I think this year it happened dramatically fast, do to the lack of rain.

If you look at the information DES provides they have to provide 250 cfs for the Dams.... so the lake is going to draw down when there is no rain to fill it back up....

I Also believe in years past, around Columbus day they also decrease the flow for a couple of weeks, to allow work down stream at various dams....
Old 10-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
PaugusBayFireFighter

Pretty normal water level although, I agree, it seems low.
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Sept rain fall much below average. That is all there is to it.

Sorry, it's not in my skill set to turn the rain back on.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
jrc

So if I read that chart right, 2013,2012,2011 were higher at this time but 2010 and 2009 were lower. Thankfully it's not at 2001 levels.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
rander7823

Default Empty?

Was the lake empty in 2001?....Ok so I exaggerated
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
Orion

Default almost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7823 View Post
Was the lake empty in 2001?....Ok so I exaggerated
It was really, really low. But it did good in reducing a lot of the weeds! Imagine, it was about 4 feet below the all-time high. I remember seeing some docks inaccessible by water.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
It was really, really low. But it did good in reducing a lot of the weeds! Imagine, it was about 4 feet below the all-time high. I remember seeing some docks inaccessible by water.
As I recall, in 2001, we almost didn't get wet when taking out the dock.....
Old 10-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
jetlag100

I noticed that when taking out the boat last Saturday that we had to back the truck down the boat ramp more than usual..with that being said, we have never taken the boat out this early, our usual is mid October...it's low.
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #12
rsmlp

perusal of this chart which averages the last thirty years shows we're at almost exactly-AVERAGE level for this time of year.

http://des.nh.gov/organization/divis.../graph2014.JPG
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag100 View Post
I noticed that when taking out the boat last Saturday that we had to back the truck down the boat ramp more than usual..with that being said, we have never taken the boat out this early, our usual is mid October...it's low.
Noticing your in Moultonborough which ramp did you use?

I took the jetski out at the LI bridge this past weekend, and thought that things where about normal for this time of year.... It is different at that ramp now, as when they reworked the ramp, the filed in part of the ditch that had been created by power loading......
Old 10-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Low water level

The lake was at an all time low in the mid 60's, I can't recall the exact year. Seems like there was a drought and a new caretaker at the dam miscalculate the water flow. I remember many docks, including the family dock on The Broads were out of the water and we had to beach the boat!
Old 10-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #15
trfour

Default Lowest I Noticed

In all my years here, the lowest I've seen the Lake was on 10/10/2004...
And of course, I got it on CD...

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 10-02-2014 at 06:49 AM.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #16
jetlag100

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Noticing your in Moultonborough which ramp did you use?

I took the jetski out at the LI bridge this past weekend, and thought that things where about normal for this time of year.... It is different at that ramp now, as when they reworked the ramp, the filed in part of the ditch that had been created by power loading......
Yes. it was at Long Island...I could tell the difference because of how far up the dock we could pull it up to..the boat is 18 ft. and we could only get it to the 1st post before it would ground...but at least we didn't ground it out about 100 ft off shore like we did one other time.(had to get in the water on a very cold and cloudy mid October day...brrrrrrrrrr lesson learned:
Old 10-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #17
jetlag100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The lake was at an all time low in the mid 60's, I can't recall the exact year. Seems like there was a drought and a new caretaker at the dam miscalculate the water flow. I remember many docks, including the family dock on The Broads were out of the water and we had to beach the boat!
I remember that...I was a kid..my Dad wasn't happy! Funny, the things you'll remember, when brought to the forefront......
Old 10-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #18
CrownRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
As I recall, in 2001, we almost didn't get wet when taking out the dock.....
Was that the "no wake" summer??
Old 10-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #19
jeffk

Default Looking at the chart

It seems like the lake was on the higher side of normal over the last couple months. The draw down and low rain has pulled it into the average range which, by comparison to what it was a month ago, seems low.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #20
Dad sold the C * C

I believe the "no wake year" was from Too much water.

Now they may be making a little room so they can slow the flow for the Winnisquam drawdown that happens after Columbus day on "even" years.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #21
TiltonBB

Default No Wake

The no wake year was about 1996. The lake was about 18 inches above full. I believe it was 4th of July week but someone here probably has better information.

Last edited by TiltonBB; 10-02-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #22
jetlag100

Years ago they didn't let any water out of the lake one fall and in the spring...our dock started to float and let me tell you, that was something. My camp was the house IN the Hole in the Wall, so any of you here, may know how big that dock is..There was debris in the lake, everywhere! They never did that again...If anyone remembers the year, please post it..I want to say mid 70's..we replaced the dock in 76, due to split beams..
Old 10-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #23
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The no wake year was about 1996. The lake was about 18 inches above full. I belive it was 4th of July week but someone here probably has better information.
I remember it well. putt putting around the lake until my plugs were fouled! I had to scramble to find a repair shop that still have those spark plug cleaners! Most of them chuck the machines as plugs at the time were almost buck a piece!
When the MP finally release the 'no wake' sanction, WMUR was at the Glendale Dock and interviewed me and the family. The crew ask me the put my hand on the throttle and pretend I am going full speed! The clip was shown during the evening news. I was boating at the time and waited till 11 PM for the news. The just showed the throttle action, and cut the rest.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #24
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

It was around 4th Of July. Didn't we have it another year too, though?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #25
Little Bear

No wake year was 1998. I remember because I had just purchased a new boat and could not go anywhere with it.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #26
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
No wake year was 1998. I remember because I had just purchased a new boat and could not go anywhere with it.
Well you could go anywhere you wanted, even some normally too shallow spots. It just took a little longer
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #27
thebix

Default Another mo wake year in the early 80's

I recall that the month of June in either 1983 or 1984 was a flooded lake and no wake.
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #28
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag100 View Post
Yes. it was at Long Island......but at least we didn't ground it out about 100 ft off shore like we did one other time.(had to get in the water on a very cold and cloudy mid October day...brrrrrrrrrr lesson learned:
I remember that year. I scoped out that ramp the week before to see if I'd be able to pull the boat there. This was early November, my usual pull time. I approached slowly until I was running too shallow to continue, raised the outdrive, and hopped over the bow with waders on, into water mid-thigh deep - about 200 feet out from shore. While walking inward, towing the boat behind me, I called over to another boat, perhaps a 22 footer, with two guys in a rubber raft trying to tow the boat in on a rope. I told them that they'd never make it into the "power loading hole" with that boat, that they should go around the corner to Harilla Landing.

When I got to the berm around the power loading hole, I had to lift the stern to get it over the berm, then walk around the edge of the hole to the ramp. I had that ramp to myself, so I took my time. As I was headed up the hill with the boat, I saw the boat that I sent around the corner coming down, so I guess they made out better over there.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
jetlag100 (10-07-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #29
rsmlp

Default no wake summer

was absolutely 1998-our FIRST summer on the lake!
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #30
LIforrelaxin

We have had several years where the MP has had to put a lake wide no wake restriction in place. The worst in recent history was probably 1998.... That was the year that they had to shut the lake down for the 4th of July... because the water was so high. I remember it well, because we hauled the boats out of the water in mid to late June.... Other years when the lake has gone high, it has been earlier in the Spring before the boating season gets going, or late into the fall, after Columbus day, one year as I recall, I had to weigh the dock down.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #31
camp guy

Default Lake water level

I believe the most recent "no wake" edict was in July 1998. The State was in a quandry about announcing the problem and declaring a "no wake" condition due to the effect it would have on the July 4th period. As I remember, during the preceding week, the "no wake" ban was on again/off again several times, and, as late as Thursday of the July 4th weekend it was "off", but then, somewhat under the cover of darkness, it was re-instated late Friday for an indefinite time period throughout the 4th holiday.

I remember having large plastic buckets (think really big) all along both sides of my dock filled with rocks and water just trying to keep it stationary. I had to step up to get into my boat.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #32
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I believe the most recent "no wake" edict was in July 1998. The State was in a quandry about announcing the problem and declaring a "no wake" condition due to the effect it would have on the July 4th period. As I remember, during the preceding week, the "no wake" ban was on again/off again several times, and, as late as Thursday of the July 4th weekend it was "off", but then, somewhat under the cover of darkness, it was re-instated late Friday for an indefinite time period throughout the 4th holiday.

I remember having large plastic buckets (think really big) all along both sides of my dock filled with rocks and water just trying to keep it stationary. I had to step up to get into my boat.
I remember the on again/off again no wake situation well. We were in Laconia right at the Weirs returning to Moultonboro. Just getting on plane, I was stopped by MP and was told the no wake was back on. Started at headway speed back to MBoro when a storm came up and was approaching. Made it back to the cottage safe and sound...at full throttle.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #33
gwhite13

Default lake water level

the no wake summer was interesting. go slow,don't damage the waterfront property. they pay big taxes you know.
gwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:03 AM   #34
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Submerged docks at Harilla Landing, 1998:

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Leoskeys (03-13-2015), pjard (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #35
TiltonBB

Default Not the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhite13 View Post
the no wake summer was interesting. go slow,don't damage the waterfront property. they pay big taxes you know.
That was not the point.

The purpose of the no wake week was to keep the shorefront damage from occurring until the lake level was lowered.

Large wakes onto front lawns would have washed a lot of soil into the lake. Large wakes had the potential to damage docks and leave wood and debris floating around the lake. In some areas large wakes would deteriorate the walls that keep the shoreline in place.

Many peoples docks and boat ties are set to work at a certain lake level and the potential to damage boats that were banging against the docks at much higher levels was also a consideration.

Although it was a dissapointing week if you were on vacation (I was) it was the right call and in the best interest of everyone that uses the lake.

Protecting the shorefront benefits everyone that uses the lake, not just the property owners.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
dave603 (10-05-2014), DRH (10-05-2014), jeffk (10-05-2014), LIforrelaxin (10-06-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #36
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Thanks for that, Camp Guy. I remember that too. It was awful. Most docks were under water, ready to lift and float away. The water was washing up along the shoreline eroding it. Low beaches were underwater with fish swimming on them. We went out in the boat a couple of times and still saw a couple of people disregarding the rule. They probably didn't even know, but where was their common sense? They had to see what they were doing to the shoreline. It was disappointing that week but it was absolutely necessary. And yes, we do pay BIG, BIG taxes. But it is not just for us that live on the lake that this was necessary.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:13 AM   #37
Reilly

how many inches is the lake down now ?
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #38
dave603

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
That was not the point.

The purpose of the no wake week was to keep the shorefront damage from occurring until the lake level was lowered.

Large wakes onto front lawns would have washed a lot of soil into the lake. Large wakes had the potential to damage docks and leave wood and debris floating around the lake. In some areas large wakes would deteriorate the walls that keep the shoreline in place.

Many peoples docks and boat ties are set to work at a certain lake level and the potential to damage boats that were banging against the docks at much higher levels was also a consideration.

Although it was a dissapointing week if you were on vacation (I was) it was the right call and in the best interest of everyone that uses the lake.

Protecting the shorefront benefits everyone that uses the lake, not just the property owners.
Not just that, but wakes when they come back into the lake bring stuff with them, most of not wanted in the water.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #39
BroadHopper

Default Can anyone remember

If the Mount and her two sister ship had to travel at no wake. Or did they go about their normal speed?
Old 10-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #40
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
If the Mount and her two sister ship had to travel at no wake. Or did they go about their normal speed?
I actually think they did not go out when it got extremely high.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #41
TiltonBB

Default 1998 High Water

I was looking through old photos and came across this one.

It shows the small island at Silver Sands when it was mostly under water. People had to walk through mud to get to their boats. The rowboat on the left is actually in an area that is usually high and dry land.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #42
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default May 2006 - Alton Bay - Spring Floods!

Bandstand Underwater

"Walking on Water" at Downing's

Gas Docks at Downing's

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #43
Barney Bear

Default Extreme High Water Levels

We remember several years when the water level was above many of the docks around the lake. Most recently, we picked up wedding guests [headed for St.John's-on-the-Lake] at the Meredith dock next to Shep Brown's. They had to take off their shoes and roll up their pants to reach our boat. In 1984, the high water lifted the outermost section of our dock off its supports. The "no wake" restriction was declared on, then off, then on again. It was a slow trip out to East Bear Island!!! On the trip out to the island, we were stopped by the Marine Patrol as we were underway at our regular cruising speed, unaware that the restriction had been placed back on. The MP explained that the "no wake" announcement was on the local radio station. I was holding our Scottish terrier while talking with the officer. Smiling, I said "sic him, Duncan". The officer replied "But I'm only giving you a warning".
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #44
8gv

Did enough snow fall this year to cause a high lake level?

Is there a point where the flow out of the lake reaches a maximum rate which, for the sake of those downstream, cannot be exceeded?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #45
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

Is there a point where the flow out of the lake reaches a maximum rate which, for the sake of those downstream, cannot be exceeded?
High Lake level is a risk every spring... You could argue that in a year of heavy snow the risk is greater... But really that is only one of a number of factors, such as:

- Lake level at the time melt is in full swing
- the ability of the dam operators to keep up with the influx of water
- amount of rain received in addition to the melting snow
- the current weather and effects of evaporation and use of the lake

I looked briefly at the DES website.. one main factor in achievable flow is the Max operation level of the hydro-electric plant which is 1050 cfs.... Anything beyond this requires that the flood gates at the dam get opened... as for the maximum flow I don't know and didn't see it specified by I know that out of lake port we have seen flows as high as 1800 cfs in the past.

In short the risk for high water is no greater then it is any other year... we just have to see how mother nature treats us.. hope for less rain.... and we should be ok... all it takes however is one good rain storm and we are in trouble.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #46
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

High lake? Maybe. It depends how fast it melts, whether we have lots of rain during the melting process, etc. Remember the lake has been drawn down in the fall so some of the melt just fills it up again to normal levels.

Per the effect down steam, the short answer is yes. The following link explains some of the decision process, an art rather than a science.

Lakeport Dam
Old 03-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #47
PaugusBayFireFighter

Just a note. Winnipesaukee is not purposely "drawn down" like othe lakes. Instead, the outflow at the dam, in Lakeport, is reduced from a min. of 250 cfs to 30-50 cfs for ~ 2 weeks around Columbus Day for maintenance of the dam and hydro stuff on the Winni River.
Our lake stays at level or even rises while the other lakes drop!

I'm sure you meant the lake has drawn down naturally Jeff but I've found many believe it is actually drawn down on purpose and that's not really true!
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #48
jeffk

While the drop may not be "deliberate" the expectation is that the fall lake level will be about 1'2" below the full lake level. The management of the dam plans for this to happen in conjunction with less runoff from the watershed during the winter and with consideration for necessary dam flow rates, essentially working with the natural processes toward an expected level.

Right now the lake is about 18" below full lake. It doesn't always go this low. Maybe it is low because we never had any significant thawing or rain this winter.

Additionally consider that 2 feet of snow is equivalent to 2 1/2 to 5 inches of water. If that was released quickly it would lead to serious flooding but since it happens over a month or so, it's not a big deal unless you also get some big rain storms at the same time.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #49
Merrymeeting

Default Rapid lake level rise

To demonstrate how spring rains can have as much of an impact, if not more than snow melt, consider 2006.

The picture below was taken on April 29th, 2006. By mid-May, the water was over the top of the dock, causing the platforms to float in the waves.

Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Leoskeys (03-13-2015)