Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Cobalt 25

Default lake level?

Lake Champlain is currently experiencing record lake levels with lots of damage yet I don't see any mention made of similar issues on Lake Winnipesaukee. I remember a year when a speed limit was imposed because of high water levels on Winni, so it can happen, but why not now?

Why can't Champlain discharge enough water to avoid the present situation? Their water flows north, I believe, eventually ending up in the Saint Lawrence seaway.

Why are these 2 fairly similar lakes experiencing different water level conditions?

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Senter Cove Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
Lake Champlain is currently experiencing record lake levels with lots of damage yet I don't see any mention made of similar issues on Lake Winnipesaukee. I remember a year when a speed limit was imposed because of high water levels on Winni, so it can happen, but why not now?

Why can't Champlain discharge enough water to avoid the present situation? Their water flows north, I believe, eventually ending up in the Saint Lawrence seaway.

Why are these 2 fairly similar lakes experiencing different water level conditions?
I dunno. Can you please check this out and report back to us?
Thanks.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Lake Champlain receives more inlet water due to it being between two mountain ranges. The Adirondacks and the Green Mts in Vermont. The green Mts stop forward movement of the cluds and it rains longer there. VT has had over 9" of rain in the past week. We have not had as much as they have had, and while we have the White Mountains to our North not much of that empties into Lake Winnipesaukee.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
matthew7:12 (05-08-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #4
gslpro

Default Lakeport Dam(n) current

I dropped the boat into the lake yesterday, down at Lakeport. As soon as I started clearing the dock, I could feel the current of the water change as I got into the flow that was being released from the dam. When I was leaving the marina, I drove over to see the outflow, but was surprised to see that it was not running nearly as fast I thought it would have been. If the water gets higher, I assume they would be able to increase the outflow as well.

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote