Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
nesun326

Default Kayaking

We recently bought a home in Gilford and are looking for great places to launch and kayak. Any suggestions would be welcomed!
nesun326 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nesun326 For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (03-30-2010)
Old 03-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Thumbs up MerryMeeting River

in Alton Bay will be a great start!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

The possibilities are endless.... all depends on the type of paddling you are looking for. When you want to be on the water etc. There are places I would recommend for weekend paddling, and then there are those I would recommend for weekday paddling. From there it further gets defined by are you looking for stream / River / small ponds, or are you looking for larger lake adventures... as I say the possibilities are endless..

The there is the other question how far away from Gilford do you want to travel to go paddling....

Oh yes most importantly what do you have for Kayaks....
Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
bigdog

Default Kayaking

I too am a new Gilford property owner who also kayaks... Would be very interested in knowing some locations....

Around Saunders Bay would seem nice on weekdays, not weekends however because of Marina traffic in that area.

Smith cove is nice if you want to putz around, and can put-in at Glendale docks. Also around Elacoya seems like it would be nice and easy, close to shore.

Honestly, I'd stay away from the big open water locations....

BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
nesun326

Default More details

Thanks for the help thus far. For more details, I'm looking for areas to kayak where it is fairly quiet, and where we might spot some wildlife, if possible. We have Wilderness Tarpons (14 ft) which are very stable. I'll be at the lake most of the summer, so would probably be more likely to kayak on weekdays.
nesun326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
jrc

I have a Wilderness tarpon 12 and spend some time around Smith cove and Varney point. Not too quiet on weekends but traffic is managable if you stay near shore.

If you are a Gilford taxpayer you can park and launch at Glendale. On weekdays you could cross over to the Forty Islands from there and explore forever. Even on weekends you could do it but it's more crowded.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
nesun326 (03-29-2010)
Old 03-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #7
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Some more of the endless possibilities....

Try some of the smaller lakes that have public boat ramps such as Crystal and Manning Lake in Gilmanton, Suncook Lakes and the Suncook River in Barnstead, Merrymeeting in New Durham, Wentworth in Wolfeboro.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (03-30-2010)
Old 03-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #8
19MileBaylover

Default Still on the Big Lake

I'd suggest Lee's Mills, where you can park and paddle in a few different directions. You'll find it worth the drive to get there.
19MileBaylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
fatlazyless

Just south of Ames Farm Inn on Route 11, at the Gilford-Alton town line, the Town of Alton owns an elevated wooden deck structure with parking for about three or four vehicles with a large steel highway style sign that says 'Town of Alton - Public Welcome.' While carrying a kayak down the staircase to the shallow water might be a little challenging, it is doable, especially with two people.

Located about one half mile directly across from Diamond Island, that would be a terrific spot to get an up close look-see at the infamous & widely publicized Diamond Island granite ledge, plus it's an area of the lake that is frequented by sailboats from www.lwsa.org

A big THANKYOU - TOWN of ALTON for building and maintaining this waterfront public deck and kayak access spot. It is very unique and people need to treat it with respect!

Another excellent launching spot is the Cattle Landing town dock & parking lot, way down Meredith Neck, in Meredith, and close to Buoy 3. Owned, built, maintained, & policed by the Town of Meredith, the Cattle Landing Town Dock is notable for its very nearby parking, easy access, super-duper lake location, and total lack of any sign what-so-ever that identifies it as the Cattle Landing Town Dock.

Watch for the very ugly concrete telephone company, utility building and pay telephone owned by Fairpoint Telephone, as you drive down the Cattle Landing Rd. It is immediatley close to the dock and parking lot, and kayak launching spot.
Airedale1 (03-30-2010), nesun326 (03-29-2010)
Old 03-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
jmen24

I second the recommendation for the Merrymeeting River, the put in is on the right of Route 11 just before the bridge that crosses the river. I have not paddled the upper part so I have not much to say on that section, but below Route 11, the river meanders through a marsh area and is nice flat quiet water with lots of potential for wildlife (depending on what you are looking for) and can easily be paddled back up stream if you are looking to avoid having two vehicles in the mix.

This is a great night paddle as well, pick a full moon night and enjoy the area, not a ton of trees around the marsh area and you can paddle to one end and back in a few hours.

McDudes small lake recommendations are also very good, nice quite water (no really large boats and lots of shoreline to explore)

Off 140 in Gilmanton, just below the Iron Works, turn onto Crystal Lake Road (big sign), Crystal lake is first and Manning is second, both on the right side of the road.

South of Silver Lake in Tilton down the Winnipesaukee River is also a nice paddle, take out is at the train station in Tilton.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/co...mary_state_NH_ This is the list of all the rivers in NH that have a little bit of movement to them, class I and II can be handled with intermediate paddling ability, Knowledge of reading a river should be a skill that you have before attempting any class of whitewater. (Tongues and V's, know what they mean when you see them) If you do not know, then find out and practice. Plenty of books on the subject, and start slow with a small group and you will open yourself up to a far greater list of possible paddles in the area. Most small rivers in this area have some form of whitewater, but they only last a very short distance, so you get to enjoy the scenery on the rest of the paddle and have a little excitement mixed in from time to time, plus you can always portage if you are not comfy with the rip. Scout first until you can read from the boat and always scout a horizon line, even if you have run it before.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MileBaylover View Post
I'd suggest Lee's Mills, where you can park and paddle in a few different directions. You'll find it worth the drive to get there.
This is exactly where I was thinking of suggesting. This is a great spot you can paddle down towards greens basin, or off towards Moultonborough Bay....The waterway down to the bay is nice, and there usually isn't much traffic. There are islands to explore around and plenty of scenery. This is great any day of the week.

If you are up for slight more open water adventure, putting in down at the state access at Harrilla landing at the end of long Island is great too. You can paddle over towards little Bear and Devens, and for a good stretch of the legs go even further over to Dow, and on back to Pistol. This of course is more of a weekday paddle for sure.

Bottom line get a map of the lake... Bizer is probably the best. It will show you some access points... Get out there and enjoy...

Now you can also go on over to Squam lake, they have a nice facility to put in at the Squam Lake Association. As well the are preservation areas to go explore.

Mcdude also had some great ideas as well......
Airedale1 (03-30-2010), nesun326 (03-29-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Welcome to the forum and the area. In Gilford I like to put in down at Marine Patrol. It's a nice protected harbor to launch from.

I can't wait to get out there.

On the other side of the lake I like to launch from Back Bay in Wolfeboro. From there you can turn left once you are out on the lake and hug the shore where you will pass a nice sandy public beach next to Brewster Academy. If you continue on you will come to Roberts Cove which is very nice.

Ready to go.

One of my favorite paddles when I am with a group is on the Contoocook River. We drive down to Concord and go to the Contoocook River Canoe Company. For a small fee you can leave your car there and they will haul you and your kayak about 12 miles up river to a put-in in Hopkinton, just below the falls.

From there it's a nice leisurely paddle downstream back to your vehicle with lots of beautiful scenery along the way and right after the beautiful Broad Cove is a nice Sandy Beach with picnic tables and a rope swing.

Looking out onto Broad Cove on the Contoocook.

Lots of great tips here, I can't wait to explore some of them,
mcdude (03-30-2010)
Old 04-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #13
trfour

Thumbs up Paddlesports Show Draws Big Croud...

http://citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...996/-1/CITIZEN

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #14
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts
Default Kayakers Rescued From Pond In Dover

Maybe they just got the kayaks at the paddlesports show but wherever they got them, some instruction would have been useful. If the man still in his kayak had to hold the woman up, she probably did not have a pfd on. I also doubt that with this cold water they had either wet suits or dry suits on. Some basic skill with bracing strokes should keep one out of the water in a pond situation.

In fairly calm water such as a pond it is not hard to rescue a second kayaker if you are still in your own boat. You can empty the swamped boat and then stabilize it while the other kayaker gets back into their boat. This does take some training on both paddlers part but once learned it can save a life.

Quote:
WMUR.com
Kayakers Rescued From Pond In Dover
Man Found Holding Onto Woman Who Fell In Water

POSTED: 2:35 pm EDT April 12, 2010
DOVER, N.H. -- Two kayakers were rescued from a pond in Dover on Monday after a resident saw that they were in trouble.

Officials said a Lakeview Drive resident heard the kayakers calling for help from Willand Pond. When firefighters arrived, a woman was in the water, and a man was still in a kayak, holding onto her.

Crews from Dover and Somersworth launched boats, and firefighters were also assisted by a resident who had access to a boat. The woman was pulled into that boat and taken to Wentworth Douglass Hospital, where she was treated for cold-water-related injuries.

Officials said the man and woman were approximately 50 years old and had just purchased the kayaks and were trying them out.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote