Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
codeman671

Default Mooring renewals

Has anyone gone through the mooring renewal process lately? Has anyone been denied a renewal?

We have 4 boat slips and 2 moorings. Currently we have 2 boats (soon to be 3) and 2 pwc (3 seaters). Theoretically we are currently full on the dock, with no space for overflow if we had company arrive by boat. Has anyone else been through the renewal process lately and had a situation where your need for the moorings is questionable? When we originally got the moorings our dock was not built so it was easy to show need.

Obviously I can pick up a small boat or two to create more need, but would rather not if I dont have to. I do not want to let my moorings go.

I had a neighbor on the island a few years ago that had a 2 boat dock, 4 moorings and only 2 boats. I am not sure how the regs have changed or if things have tightened up since.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
TomC

Default anything that can be beached..

..like jetskis and small boats won't be counted by them (if you have a beach/shallow entry). so if you have 4 slips and 2 boats they may not approve moorings based on slip constraints.

you can try the approach that you need mooring(s) to protect the boats from damage due to a long fetch/high wave/wake action by getting them off the dock. the need does not have to be strictly space-based
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Gatto Nero

I just went through the process of renewing mine with no problem. I did have two moorings, one for a jetski, but decided this time around to reduce it back to just one. I used the approach that TomC suggested but in my case its a reality.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
Bear Islander

I have two slips, two moorings and only two registered boats. They questioned my need for two moorings, but I explained that living on an island we must have a least one, and sometimes two slips available for visitors, deliveries, tradesmen etc.

I even pointed out that our babysitter arrives by boat. Most people don't get the full impact of what living on an island means, you have to explain it in detail. Anyway it worked.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
I even pointed out that our babysitter arrives by boat.
I have been trying to find a babysitter up here for a while that will work on an island. I'd certainly be interested in hooking with with her on that. I am 5 minutes from your place.

I am going to put my application together over the weekend using everyone's suggestions.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Misty Blue

Default Dock depth

We have boats on the water after the state "lets down" the Lake level and in some years have trouble with depth at the end of the dock. Hey, we all have needs.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default New moorings

Don't get me going on this one!

10 years ago, I started dating this woman on Sleepers Island who had one dock and no mooring. I had a boat and she had a boat. We also have friends that like to visit with boats. We decided to add two mooring balls.

She had over 100' frontage. Because her dock is oversize. (Very wide) and grandfathered, we were told by DES that we cannot add another dock or fingers. We decided to add 2 moorings. The package that came in the mail requires a rocket scientist to figure out! We had to draw a map of the shoreline as well as the abutting neighbors. Draw in existing docks and measurements. Then draw in existing moorings. It is like we are tattle tailing on our neighbors. They weren't too happy when we ask for measurements. We also had to document the boat registrations.
We did this in the fall of 2000. After a few phone calls, we got an answer from the state in the fall of 2001. The state will only allow one mooring on the basis that the owner of the property only has one boat registered! Both abbutting neighbors have only one boat registered but were allowed two moorings as it was grandfathered!

Not sure what it will be today. I hope the rules have changed. A good friend of mine bought property on 20 Mile Bay and the previous owner was not a boater. There is only a swim deck on the shore. He has 140' of frontage and is currently asking for a U shape dock and a mooring. He said the paperwork was not as bad as I explained it was 10 years ago. I wish him well.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Little Bear

Default Keep a copy

Don't forget to make a copy of your application. The permit is only good for 5 years, so every 5 years you have to fill out the 4-page application again. I just send in the copy with pertinent information updated.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
John A. Birdsall

Default moorings

I have just reregistered my mooring, and have the new decal. It is my understanding of the rules that you must own 70' of beach frontage per mooring. So if a person has 100' it would be my understanding that they can only have one mooring.

I can recall when there was no mooring criteria, let alone charges for the moorings We had one on each side of the boat house. However for awhile one was a raft. That was funny, as I recall that raft was very tippy. and we used the neighbors raft anyway.

I have not had to go thru the big deal of every five years, I do know that every year you have to re-register it. I think I need to have to find out just when the last time it was submitted with all the drawings etc.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
DRH

Default Annual Decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
Don't forget to make a copy of your application. The permit is only good for 5 years, so every 5 years you have to fill out the 4-page application again. I just send in the copy with pertinent information updated.
That's right, the permit itself is good for five years, but in addition you must annually send the state a current copy of the registration for the boat that will be attached to the mooring along with a check (currently $25) and the state will then send you a decal for that year that must be attached to your mooring ball. Even though the permit itself is good for five years, you can't legally secure a boat to the mooring without the current year's decal displayed. We've often seen the Marine Patrol checking mooring balls in our area for the current year's decal.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
That's right, the permit itself is good for five years, but in addition you must annually send the state a current copy of the registration for the boat that will be attached to the mooring along with a check (currently $25) and the state will then send you a decal for that year that must be attached to your mooring ball. Even though the permit itself is good for five years, you can't legally secure a boat to the mooring without the current year's decal displayed. We've often seen the Marine Patrol checking mooring balls in our area for the current year's decal.
You are correct - just to be clear to the others: The annual renewal (not the 5-year renewal) does not require any form to be filled out. Just send the check along with the copy of the boat reg and they send the sticker back along with the paper "permit". Keep in mind also that the paper permit must be kept, which can then be requested by Marine Patrol for further proof of registration/permit.

Last edited by Little Bear; 03-30-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
I have just reregistered my mooring, and have the new decal. It is my understanding of the rules that you must own 70' of beach frontage per mooring. So if a person has 100' it would be my understanding that they can only have one mooring.
My neighbor has a 10 ft ROW and he is able to get mooring as long as the abuters state they are OK with it
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote