Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
Captain Nemo

Default C-Map Card Question.

I own a 2006 Navman chartplotter (essentially same as Northstar) and would like to upgrade its detail for Lake Winnipesaukee by buying a Bizer Corp. C-Map card and plugging it into the unit (yes, this GPS takes C-Map cards). Two questions: does anyone out there have done the same upgrade, if so pls give me your input, and second question, what does it mean when the C-Map comes with an NT (does it mean it's home computer-usable? How, on a CD?). Thanks!
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
NoBozo

I have an old Magellan 6000 GPS which uses C-Map cards. You should google C-Map to get a better idea what "NT" is. C-Map makes various "Cards" that plug into varoius GPS Units. ALL the map data is ON the plug in card.

A couple of years ago I lost one of my cards..different cards, different areas, so I took a ride out to Cape Cod where C-Map is located to get a new replacement card. The new replacement plugged into the GPS OK but the Magellan GPS didn't have enough memory to run the NEW card because they had added so much additional data.

In addition: C-Map did NOT keep backup software for the "Old" card that I lost. So I was out of luck. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Captain Nemo (03-08-2010)
Old 03-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
jrc

I have a Northstar M84 plotter, I had it installed in 2008. I have the then current Winnipesaukee Bizer map purchased from C-Map.

Works great! As far as I know you cannot use the data on a computer even though it is clearly a normal SD-card, like many cameras use.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Captain Nemo (03-08-2010)
Old 03-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
ThePlut

Default Plotter

I have a Navman 5500i GPS unit that I bought in 2005 with a C-Map chip from Bizer. It works wonderfully. A good friend, and frequent poster, has a similar setup from Standard Horizon with a C-Map chip, and I think he's very happy with that as well.

However, as I recall, after the C-Map that I bought, I believe newer C-Map chips are called Max and NT. I have the older, Winni-only version. I don't know if my GPS is compatible with the NT+ chips, I know it's not compatible with the MAX.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePlut For This Useful Post:
Captain Nemo (03-09-2010)
Old 03-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
hancoveguy

Default Jeppesson Marine

For any questions about the c-map chips just call Jeppesson Marine in Mashpee or Marshfield (I forget which) Mass. They make the chip with bizer cartography on them and they also sell them. The lakes chip is around $250 at Shep Browns and other Marinas. I just bought it from Jeppesson for cost-$129 plus tax.

Good luck
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hancoveguy For This Useful Post:
Captain Nemo (03-09-2010)
Sponsored Links