Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
lawn psycho

Default URGENT: Gilford boat launch ordinance

Folks,
The Gilford Planning Board voted to "not recommend" the citizens petition spear-headed by Stephen & Maureen Nix. HOWEVER, the decision will ultimately be made at the Gilford Town meeting in March.

I have attached the public document from the Town of Gilford that shows the 19 people (only 14 individual residences) who signed the petition and its wording. Perhaps our webjedi Don can post a follow-up and embed the text into the thread.

What I'm not sure about is would this ordinance comply with NH state law as it involves access to a state body of water.

Do a Google of Stephen Nix. He's an attorney. The best way to fight this type of individual is to lock horns with them. If they don't like boats, don't live on a lake.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Gilford petition for amendment to zoning ordinance.pdf (182.5 KB, 977 views)
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
Do a Google of Stephen Nix. He's an attorney. The best way to fight this type of individual is to lock horns with them. If they don't like boats, don't live on a lake.
There seems to be more and folks moving to the lake and thinking they can take control. I was told this is only the beginning.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Just Sold

JMHO and observation:
A quick review of the petition and who signed only finds that 2 of the petition signers reside directly on the water. 82 Dinsmore Point Road - James F. Bright, MD Portsmouth, NH. 68 Belknap Point Road - Douglas P. Hill, Real Estate Closing Atty. Meredith & Gilford Conservation Commission Member...Hmmm.

Also Atty. Stephen Nix lives just to the south and off Rt 11. He could have some waterfront but I did not look into that.

I am guessing of the first 2 pages of signers that most are acquaintences or have some relationship. They do not all live near each other in Gilford and it could be that (assuming he started it) Mr. Nix, an attorney from Gilford, stood at a particular location and got people to sign. I am very doubtfull of that. More likely there is another link between them like they are his (Nix's) clients?

Of the Petioners, Dr. Bright, Atty. Hill and Atty. Nix live the closest to Ames Farm so to me it appears it is their axe to grind.

Nix was listed as the C/O Atty. in 2006 for a lobbyist, David G. Collins, for the New Hampshire Lakes Property Association. Currious! No current links to this association could be found though.

Anyone here know of Atty. Nix, Atty. Hill or Dr. Bright????

Last edited by Just Sold; 01-12-2010 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Adding info & corrections
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
evelyn

It does seem odd that the direct abutters to Ames don't have any complaints. This is more than a personal vendetta from that neighbor. There must be a hidden agenda.How is he looking to benefit from this? Ames' legal fees must be killing them !
evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Formula260SS

This is what happens when Lawyers have too much time on their hands, what's next move RT 11 ??
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Three of the signers are members of the Conservation Commission: Douglas Hill. Charles Coons and Lawrence Routhier.
http://www.gilfordnh.org/Public_Docu...Comm/conserve2
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
lawn psycho

Default We're watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Three of the signers are members of the Conservation Commission: Douglas Hill. Charles Coons and Lawrence Routhier.
http://www.gilfordnh.org/Public_Docu...Comm/conserve2
Makes you wonder who on the forum is among the petitioners.....
Old 01-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

I guess I do not understand... The petition as written does not say public or private boat launch. Either way, the Gilford shoreline is what it is at this point. I don't think you could find 1500' shoreline in Gilford where new construction would even be available for this to even matter (I may be wrong). In any instance wouldn't Ames Farm be grandfathered anyway??....

Please tell me what I am missing which I am sure is a lot!

For the record, Ames Farm in my opinion has always been a wonderful place for non waterfront people, NH residents and out of state residents to launch boats for many many years and should be left that way. They are and always have been a great neighbor in the Gilford community (I think???).

They also have a great restaurant!! :-)

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I guess I do not understand... The petition as written does not say public or private boat launch. Either way, the Gilford shoreline is what it is at this point. I don't think you could find 1500' shoreline in Gilford where new construction would even be available for this to even matter (I may be wrong). In any instance wouldn't Ames Farm be grandfathered anyway??....

Please tell me what I am missing which I am sure is a lot!

For the record, Ames Farm in my opinion has always been a wonderful place for non waterfront people, NH residents and out of state residents to launch boats for many many years and should be left that way. They are and always have been a great neighbor in the Gilford community (I think???).

They also have a great restaurant!! :-)

Dan
Specifically it would prevent Ames Farm from operating as they previously did with a public boat launch. Realize that just because a facility is not "free" it is still considered a public launch. It also prevents even public boat storage as well.

Notice the language about not only residential lots but those in their "natural state" could never be used for a public launch if the luanch was within 1500 ft. That's over a 1/4 mile (0.284 mile to be exact) away. I don't know many, if any places around the lake where there is a 1/4 mile distance to a residence.

There is one gotcha that I would stick up their tailpipes that I'm going to withhold so as not to tip them about what makes the ordinance not air-tight. It actually could work against the homeowners. He must not be a very good lawyer
Old 01-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Specifically it would prevent Ames Farm from operating as they previously did with a public boat launch. Realize that just because a facility is not "free" it is still considered a public launch. It also prevents even public boat storage as well.

Notice the language about not only residential lots but those in their "natural state" could never be used for a public launch if the luanch was within 1500 ft. That's over a 1/4 mile (0.284 mile to be exact) away. I don't know many, if any places around the lake where there is a 1/4 mile distance to a residence.

There is one gotcha that I would stick up their tailpipes that I'm going to withhold so as not to tip them about what makes the ordinance not air-tight. It actually could work against the homeowners. He must not be a very good lawyer
Thanks L.P.

But what about West Alton Marina or Fay's Marina... which also allows anyone who pays the minor launch fee to anyone which certainly have abutters within 1500'... Are they going to be shutdown because of this or are they grandfathered???

Sorry...Still confused...

Da
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Thanks L.P.

But what about West Alton Marina or Fay's Marina... which also allows anyone who pays the minor launch fee to anyone which certainly have abutters within 1500'... Are they going to be shutdown because of this or are they grandfathered???

Sorry...Still confused...

Da
No, even if this passes they could not shutdown WAM or Fay's. This is a local zoning ordinance proposal for Gilford only. Fay's is already a legally permitted use as a marina. What I don't know is which lots/business owners would now become non-comforming. That is a big deal when owning property.

Another issue with the ordinance is how it addresses launch ramps already in operation. There are some private ramp owners who may not be getting what they are bargaining for if this passes. I'll leave it at that.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #12
fatlazyless

Maybe I am incorrect on this, but I think the voting in March will probably be an all day, 7am-7pm, private ballot as opposed to a show of hands at say 11:12pm. Probably, the more voters who vote makes it a better vote in that it is decided by a more democratic process.

Gilford is an SB-2 town.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
Slickcraft

Zoning articles go on the secret ballot along with election of town officials, this is true even in SB2 towns.

If passed, all existing use public ramps would not be impacted unless they wanted to expand. Ames Farm is not an existing use public ramp as they have been shut down. Passage would keep them from reopening.

In fact passage would preclude any future public ramp as there is no shoreline that would meet the requirements.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #14
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

An informed voter is a smarter voter.
I think I've done my part This is a case where the impacted parties are under-represented. Access to the lake is a big concern.

What I am still not sure of is would the ordinance comply with NH State law. There's a tangled web when you are dealing with shoreland regulations and gets out of my league quickly.

The public parking area which requires you get a permit by lottery and be a Gilford Town resident in Gilford would be a non-conforming use if this passes as I interpret that ordinance. Betcha the town fathers will love that when they realize they've been jilted
Old 01-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #15
fatlazyless

.....hey lawn psycho.... I'm not a Gilford resident.... and I bet there's plenty Winnipesaukee trailer-boaters who appreciate your efforts with this.....

Probably one good reason why the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th largest NH lakes, Newfound, Squam, & Winnisquam all have State of NH boat launch facilities with double launching ramps, docks, toilets, and parking, while Winnipesaukee does not is because Ames Farm Inn was the defacto public ramp, along with all the various town and private marina ramps.

Did you know the NH Fish & Game Dept likes to set up at Ames Farm for fish species monitoring via the fisherman who return to the Ames dock with fresh caught fish.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 AM   #16
evelyn

Try to fish swim or boat near the point north of Ames and you will meet the petitioner. He will be out there yelling at you.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #17
lawn psycho

Default Harassment

Quote:
Originally Posted by evelyn View Post
Try to fish swim or boat near the point north of Ames and you will meet the petitioner. He will be out there yelling at you.
Good, let him yell at me. Then he'll find himself on the other side of the law. I know where I will be spending extra time this summer. I'm not kidding.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
Aquadeziac (01-15-2010), BroadHopper (01-12-2010), OCDACTIVE (01-12-2010), Wolfeboro_Baja (01-12-2010)
Old 01-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #18
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Good, let him yell at me. Then he'll find himself on the other side of the law. I know where I will be spending extra time this summer. I'm not kidding.
L.P. you tell me when and I will meet you there.. Our own little "legal" protest!

Then you can join me in Braun Bay!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #19
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
L.P. you tell me when and I will meet you there.. Our own little "legal" protest!

Sounds fun, I'll bring the whole family. My daughter can cry on cue and my kids like to scream and splash when they swim.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #20
robmac

Count me in !
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #21
OCDACTIVE

I can pull my mufflers for the day if you like? - I'm being sarcastic before anyone reads into this....

Last edited by OCDACTIVE; 01-12-2010 at 09:08 AM.
OCDACTIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #22
lawn psycho

Default Fire-up up the barby.....

Sounds like we're going to have a Forum Regatta. Should be a blast. Now we just have to wait for ice-out

Last edited by lawn psycho; 01-12-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: I must have studdard while typing :)
Old 01-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #23
lawn psycho

Quote:

Plan on it
Old 01-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #24
Airwaves

Default Re-adoption of NHF&G rules

Along these lines, NH Fish and Game is holding a hearing (Monday I beleive) and a public comment period (ending the 20th or 21st) for the readoption of rules regarding boat access facilities.

It does not look like any language has changed it just appears to be housekeeping, but just FYI.

I wonder if NHF&G would have something to say about the Gilford proposal?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Airwaves For This Useful Post:
lawn psycho (01-12-2010)
Old 01-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #25
gtagrip

Quote:

I want in too!
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #26
Formula260SS

Default Winter Protest

Does it make sense to have a "Snowmobile" Reggatta this winter, or maybe that's the BEST fishing spot on the lake for the derby........I think someone told me that's where all the big lakers are
Old 01-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #27
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
Does it make sense to have a "Snowmobile" Reggatta this winter, or maybe that's the BEST fishing spot on the lake for the derby........I think someone told me that's where all the big lakers are
I like the way you think

Maybe I should buy an old porti-pottie and convert to a bob house.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #28
BroadHopper

Default Ice Racing

maybe we can return the old 'ice jalopies' to Winnipesaukee. Right off this point will be a great place. plenty of parking off the Ames Farm property!

'VROOM VROOM!'
Old 01-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #29
DEJ

Since he is retired he is most likely in a warmer climate.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #30
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
Since he is retired he is most likely in a warmer climate.
Ah, but you see when he gets the ire of the neighbors because he decided to be a bully and people are protesting he'll have to deal with it from both ends.

And you can bet that anything done in that area will make the rounds of the rumor mill quickly regardless of where he may or may not be.

If we ban together we can literally drive the man insane if he's truly been known to yell at people on the lake.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #31
evelyn

We might have to have a meeting of the minds and figure out a plan to show our position on election day.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #32
robmac

I think all who want to participate should set a date and have an impromtu forum fest winter carnival meeting at that area. Any one up for it? Maybe the fine folks at Ames will allow us to park.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #33
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
I think all who want to participate should set a date and have an impromtu forum fest winter carnival meeting at that area. Any one up for it? Maybe the fine folks at Ames will allow us to park.
I'm up for it. I don't have a snowmobile so I have to bum a ride or bring the garden tractor

Some nice hot chocolate and walking on water would be good for some winter entertainment. I'm too fat for my skate skis, I just flatten them out now

Can someone contact Ames Farm about parking? What's a good date and when?
Old 01-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #34
Lake Lady 6

Default Gilford boat launch

Atty. Nix - would that be the same Nix with family property within 1500 ft. on the shoreline where Ames Farm is? Also associated with the complaints this summer.
Lake Lady 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #35
evelyn

How did you ever guess?
Old 01-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #36
evelyn

Mom's house is there.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #37
BroadHopper

Quote:
Mom's house is there.
OK. I won't moon!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #38
lawn psycho

Default Appraisal

Not sure how the assessment works in Gilford but for the Nix property at 19 Riley Road but the tax card shows a purchase price of $105,000 in 1987 and now it's only assessed at $140,000. That seems really low for waterfront property.

http://gilford.univers-clt.com/view_...&series_card=1

The 2009 tax records show that the Ames Farm Motel was assessed at $2,500,000. Doesn't include all of ther cottage lots. I wonder if Ames Farm can apply for an abatement given the change in use?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #39
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Not sure how the assessment works in Gilford but for the Nix property at 19 Riley Road but the tax card shows a purchase price of $105,000 in 1987 and now it's only assessed at $140,000. That seems really low for waterfront property.

http://gilford.univers-clt.com/view_...&series_card=1
You need to take a break!
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #40
Jonas Pilot

That's what Nixon said to Woodward and Bernstein!
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #41
Slickcraft

Quote:
Riley Road is not waterfront. It runs west from Rt 11 (away from the lake) at the Alton/Gilford town line.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #42
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Riley Road is not waterfront. It runs west from Rt 11 (away from the lake) at the Alton/Gilford town line.

That is why I said lawn psycho needs to take a break!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #43
lawn psycho

Default Riley road

Quote:
Even more reason why Mr. Nix's efforts don't add up. If you look at the meeting minutes from the Gilford website, he was very determined to make Ames Farm jump hoops for what in most cases would be easily fixed non-compliances. Personally I don't think Don Ames had a very good lawyer to lose his case like this. Precendence issues are all over Gilford that I am sure his attorney could have used.

I also would have had Mr. Nix's site plans, permitting, and buildings gone over with a fine tooth comb.

I was just checking the location and here's where 19 Riley Road is located via Mapquest.com:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Gi...eocode=ADDRESS
Old 01-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #44
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Personally I don't think Don Ames had a very good lawyer to lose his case like this. Precendence issues are all over Gilford that I am sure his attorney could have used.

I also would have had Mr. Nix's site plans, permitting, and buildings gone over with a fine tooth comb.

Please, Hit "Start", "Shut Down" and give it a rest!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #45
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Please, Hit "Start", "Shut Down" and give it a rest!
Something to hide?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (01-13-2010), Resident 2B (01-12-2010)
Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #46
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
That is why I said lawn psycho needs to take a break!
Sam, do what I did with the speed limit and diamond island threads, don't open them. Nothing personal just some advise if a particular subject or poster bothers you.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #47
Formula260SS

Quote:
It does seem odd that the direct abutters to Ames don't have any complaints. This is more than a personal vendetta from that neighbor. There must be a hidden agenda.How is he looking to benefit from this? Ames' legal fees must be killing them !
I must say I am quite interested in what has motivated the efforts of Mr Nix, the problem is his efforts have hurt public access to the lake which does not sit well with me even though the end result has more or less no effect on me personally. Shutting Ames down the way it is now is a tragedy

Last edited by Formula260SS; 01-12-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #48
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Sam, do what I did with the speed limit and diamond island threads, don't open them. Nothing personal just some advise if a particular subject or poster bothers you.

You're right, I guess I need to practice what I preach.

Continue on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yosemite Sam For This Useful Post:
NoRegrets (01-13-2010)
Old 01-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #49
Slickcraft

Quote:
I must say I am quite interested in what has motivated the efforts of Mr Nix, the problem is his efforts have hurt public access to the lake which does not sit well with me even though the end result has more or less no effect on me personally. Shutting Ames down the way it is now is a tragedy
I don’t know what motivated Nix but here is some factual data to consider:

Mr. Nix presented the argument to the ZBA to close down Ames see
http://www.gilfordnh.org/Public_Docu...2008/S021BB065

on behalf of Patricia Nix-Ford, Susan Belanger-Bright, Maureen D. Nix

Patricia Nix-Ford is the owner of a lakefront lot to north of Ames Farm at 94 Dismoor Point RD.

Susan Belanger-Bright is the owner of lakefront lot at 84 Dinsmoor Point
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (01-13-2010), lawn psycho (01-13-2010)
Old 01-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #50
BroadHopper

Quote:
True boaters have been saying all along. There is a conspiracy going on to eliminate certain boaters off the lake. First the speed limit bill, the rafting bill, then the public launch ramp bill. Soon to follow, will be the size of boats limit and horsepower limit.
There are a certain group of waterfront owners that firmly believe that they can bring the lake back to 'On Golden Pond' days and will see their property values skyrocketed. it's all about greed. If they don't like the lake the way it is. Go elsewhere! Squam Lake has property for sale. Next best is Moosehead Lake in Maine. PLENTY of land for sale.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #51
lawn psycho

Here's a piece of what slickcraft's link has in it

{David Pierce stated that he has property close by and he has no connection to Ames Farm. He feels that the inn caters to families and the noise is minimal. He feels the neighbors should consider themselves fortunate to have a piece of the past in his midst and cautioned that unreasonable constraints will force the Ames family to sell the property. He finds Ames Farm much more preferable to other possible development.}
Old 01-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #52
fatlazyless

Post #49 from Slickcraft has a very interesting & informative link to the Sept 23, 2008 Gilford Zoning Board hearing on Ames Farm. It is a written detailed record of two hours and 42 minutes of a town hearing between four different attorneys, a few witnesses and the people on the zoning board......and now you the reader......a very historical look at things.

A big thankyou to Sandra Bailey, Gilford's temporary scribe for keeping the score.

Attention: Study it hard because there will be a 25-question test on the Ames Farm Inn land use issues from 1955 to present, tomorrow at 9-am. Students who receive a score below 80 will have to shovel snow off the beach for one week using just their bare hands!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #53
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
...... There is a conspiracy going on......
Heard it on the grapevine, when all the dust settles.......only 14' Alumacrafts & 15hp Evinrude tiller-handles will be the only boats allowed.....Lake Winnipesaukee 1970 - now & forever! ...........
Old 01-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #54
lawn psycho

Quote:
Heard it on the grapevine, when all the dust settles.......only 14' Alumacrafts & 15hp Evinrude tiller-handles will be the only boats allowed.....Lake Winnipesaukee 1970 - now & forever! ...........
Aluminum is in fishing boats moreso than in other types of crafts. The very kind used by folks launching at Ames farm
Old 01-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #55
lawn psycho

Quote:
Post #49 from Slickcraft has a very interesting & informative link to the recent Gilford Zoning Board hearing on Ames Farm. It is a written detailed record of two hours and 42 minutes of a town hearing between four different attorneys, a few witnesses and the people on the zoning board......and now you the reader......a very historical look at things.
Something to think about. If this ordinance passes, the Glendale docks and parking area would then become non-conforming uses. Feel free to inquire with your Town officials about this.

Like a mentioned above, there are other aspects of this that I am not going to tip my hand but there is a big hole in this oridinance that could put private lot/homeowners in a tight spot.

This ordinance was hastily drafted by a small number of residents with no due diligence (FLL, remember what I said about mob rule?). Any zoning or land-use change should require notification to any lot owner who would then become non-conforming to be notified as a minimum. I don't know if Gilford has done that or if they are required too. The Town of Gilford adminstration should be doing their homework as to number of lots impacted and whether this would preclude a future business from having a public launch anywhere other than existing lots.

Now we know precisely where to stage our winter protest!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #56
fatlazyless

My mistake; the hearing was not recent, it took place on September 23, 2008.

One more item to add to the list of Lake Winnipesaukee no-no's, will be NO FIBERGLASS BOATS.......only aluminum boats will be allowed.....excepting kayaks, of course.

Hey, there's got to be a nice aluminum kayak somewhere? Probably, down on some nice quiet lake in Alumabama!.......
Old 01-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #57
gravy boat

Default Guess what?

"A quick review of the petition and who signed only finds that 2 of the petition signers reside directly on the water. 82 Dinsmore Point Road - James F. Bright, MD Portsmouth, NH. 68 Belknap Point Road - Douglas P. Hill, Real Estate Closing Atty. Meredith & Gilford Conservation Commission Member...Hmmm."

Just Sold -- regarding your astute observation: Maybe, just maybe, some of us live in Gilford but OWN property near Ames...and maybe, just MAYBE, that property is in a name other than ours or in a trust.

My name is on there. And I am not an attorney. Nor am I a Commissioner. Nor am I involved in any local politics. HOWEVER...I own property local to Ames. And I pay taxes. And quite frankly I don't give a rats you-know-what if anybody disagrees or flames me. ;-)

Oh, and thanks for the 15 minutes of fame, LawnPsycho! I thought I'd never get it at my advanced age....LOVE seeing my name in lights!
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #58
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat View Post
My name is on there.

Thanks for the 15 minutes of fame!
Be careful what you wish for as that ordinance as written has a boomerang in it
Old 01-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #59
VtSteve

Is all that due to the fishing boats that launched from there, specifically for tournaments?

Whenever things like this happen, I always look to see if the party being targeted was offered a buyout so development could proceed. Doubtful in this case, but I don't really see the point of this ordinance.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #60
Mr. V

The point of the ordinance is to put closure to the issue once and for all.

As drafted it is not spot zoning, but clearly the target is Ames Farm.

Let's not forget that there's no such thing as bad publicity for a lawyer.

The mental image of a bunch of clueless, irate, politically engaged loons buzzing Steve's lakefront dock in their bass boats makes me feel sort of funny inside.

Not "ha ha" funny, but "this meat smells funny" funny.

Go ahead, harass him.

I double dog dare you.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #61
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Is all that due to the fishing boats that launched from there, specifically for tournaments?

Whenever things like this happen, I always look to see if the party being targeted was offered a buyout so development could proceed. Doubtful in this case, but I don't really see the point of this ordinance.
VtSteve, there were many articles written about this during the initial stages. Some on winni.com as well as many of the LR papers. You can also read through the Gilford planning board and zobing board meeting minutes. One thing to realize is Ames Farm made efforts to have the tournaments start farther off land and to appease abutter concerns.

However, you will see that the abutters used the classic technique of zoning to get their wish to shut down his boat launch. What they did is complain about any violation on the property. What I will tell you is that it's VERY easy to find something wrong with a property. This is especially true in small rural towns in New England where code enforcement is haphazard or was during the past. All it takes is one planning board mylar to be missing a signature and 40 years from now someone could use that to claim your subdivision or house lot did not get proper approval.

If I were Don Ames, I would have picked up the grenade and threw it right back at them by looking up every violation the abutters had. Did you really make that shed 10x10 or did you cheat and make is 12x12? There are endless things to look for. A surveyor and title research could reveal a lot too They best be thankful I'm not their neighbor....

The current ordinance these folks are trying to push is like using a sledgehammer to swat a fly. Hopefully the voters of Gilford will see fit to follow the planning board recommendation and turn down the petition. Making the Glendale docks property non-conforming should send off alarm bells that the ordinance is not drafted properly.

I would actually be sympathetic with the homeowners with large numbers of boats leaving the ramp at 6:30AM every weekend. However, I think that's what the ordinance should work to address, not every potential boat ramp in Gilford. I also believe that the abutters were never going to be satisfied as long as *gasp* people were launching boats near their little seasonal cottage because they pay taxes (psst, waterfront homes aren't always the most expensive)..... Going after all public ramps in Gilford? Now I say screw the abutters.

Why not write an ordinance the goes for a direct solution rather than painting with a town-wide brush?
Old 01-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #62
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post

As drafted it is not spot zoning, but clearly the target is Ames Farm.

The mental image of a bunch of clueless, irate, politically engaged loons buzzing Steve's lakefront dock in their bass boats makes me feel sort of funny inside.

Go ahead, harass him.

I double dog dare you.
For whom? For a few abutters at the expense of everyone else? You also make the assumption that it will pass. You'll find out in March

As drafted it is not spot zoning, but clearly the target is Ames Farm.That's why the petition had to be town wide or spot zoning would apply.

I would firmly disagree. See aformentioned post above regarding him yelling at people.

Be careful with your generalizations. I would hardly call many of the posters in this thread "clueless" as we've gone right to the source for information. Funny how you call us politically engaged but it is the petition signers who are using the "politcal" process to limit access to the lake. Hello pot, meet kettle. You don't have to live in Gilford to understand why this is important to everyone. Perhaps you are clueless about why people have interest in this issue.

Go ahead, harass him. I double dog dare you.

Is that a threat to make someone fearful of using public property? Where did anyone say they were going to buzz a dock? There has already been statements above that an individual has yelled at people while they were using the lake.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (01-25-2010), NoRegrets (01-24-2010), OCDACTIVE (01-25-2010), robmac (01-25-2010)
Old 01-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #63
NoRegrets

Before long we will need to get a permit to utilize public land that will be metered out by the politicians. Their families and friends will be enjoying our lake while we wait for our turn. Look how other countries have managed to create a political cast system.

The process of continuing to legislate things like Ames farm, Speed, Bfraun bay, Rafting areas, or type of boats has created a nausiating environment that some may decide to stay away from NH. What other source of income do we have?

This bill smells like a punitive process with questionable value.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #64
BroadHopper

Default Excellent article in the New Hampshire Magazine

About NH being the fastest growing state in NE.

The only good part of this is that we are bigger than Maine.

The bad part is that we are becoming a 'burb of Massachusetts.

The ugly part is that we lost our motto. 'Live Free or Die'.

As a true NH native, 'Progress? HELL!'
Old 01-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #65
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
About NH being the fastest growing state in NE.

The only good part of this is that we are bigger than Maine.

The bad part is that we are becoming a 'burb of Massachusetts.

The ugly part is that we lost our motto. 'Live Free or Die'.

As a true NH native, 'Progress? HELL!'
I agree totally! I am considering retitiring up there but I am also finding that it is becoming a "burb" of Assachusetts. My main reason for considering NH was because of it's formerly conservative politics. Unfortunately many that are moving there are from out east in Massachusetts with a much more liberal stance than I. I fear I may be fleeing in the wrong direction. NH is the last best hope to try and turn New England around. Once you have eaten on the government plantation it is very difficult to find the road leading off the plantation.

I do feel for the long time residents of NH that fear for the future of thier state.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington

Last edited by TOAD; 01-25-2010 at 07:40 AM.
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOAD For This Useful Post:
robmac (01-25-2010), wifi (01-25-2010)
Old 01-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #66
robmac

I agree 100%
Old 01-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #67
nvtngtxpyr

Default Free State Movement

Perhaps if this movement ever gathers steam, things will change.

http://www.freestateproject.org/news...chive/0004.php
nvtngtxpyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #68
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtngtxpyr View Post
Perhaps if this movement ever gathers steam, things will change.

http://www.freestateproject.org/news...chive/0004.php
That article is from 2002. Do you have anymore information on the movement?
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:14 AM   #69
ApS

Wink Gilford Boat Launch Ordinance...

I lost track of them a couple of years ago. The "Free State Movement" has annual festivals in June that have drawn as many as 600 people.

Although they seem drawn to NH's Grafton County, they had their 2008 annual Festival in—you guessed it—Gilford!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #70
fatlazyless

Thumbs up ...Ames Farm wins big!

"Gilford voters overwhelmingly rejected a proposal to prohibit public boat launching together with associated parking spaces and storage facilities on shorefront properties in predominantly residential neighborhoods. The vote was 1,020 to 275. Authored by attorney Stephan Nix, who led a successfull effort to limit developement of the Ames farm Inn, would have further restricted use of the property."

LaDaSun Mar 10
BroadHopper (03-10-2010), chipj29 (03-10-2010), Drummer Girl (03-10-2010), eyenotall777 (03-10-2010), ishoot308 (03-10-2010), Major problem (03-10-2010), NoBozo (03-10-2010), NoRegrets (03-10-2010), OCDACTIVE (03-10-2010), Resident 2B (03-10-2010), robmac (03-10-2010), whosnext8302 (03-10-2010), Wolfeboro_Baja (03-10-2010)
Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #71
OCDACTIVE

That is GREAT news!!!!! Seems the voters are taking back control.

Braun Bay

Ames Farm

And in only 24 hours hopefully one more!

Thanks for the update.!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #72
Wolfeboro_Baja

YAYYYY!! Now maybe I can go back to Ames Farm for launching this summer!! I'll have to give them a call in April or May and see what their status is for public launching.