Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
jmen24

Default New England Boat Show Opinions

Just wondering what the forum opinions are on the best boat show in NE for a boat in the under 30ft cruiser class. We can only do one and Providence and Boston are in the same time frame. Just curious what the shows offer from those that have attended. Thanks
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Good Show

I have been to the Boston show a couple times and think it's pretty good. Just remember, you simply cannot compare any of these out of water local shows to the in water Miami show or similar. In my opinion the Boston show is probably the best we have in our area. I think you will find what you are looking for in Boston. There are many local area Marinas and boat dealers that sell just what you are looking for.

Good Luck!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Just wondering what the forum opinions are on the best boat show in NE for a boat in the under 30ft cruiser class. We can only do one and Providence and Boston are in the same time frame. Just curious what the shows offer from those that have attended. Thanks
DEFIANTELY BOSTON.... I also agree you can't compare to one of the Florida shows but for what you are looking for you will find the best options in Boston. West Marine also has a great set up if you are in need of accessories on the new boat.

Good Luck and let us know what you get!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
gf2020

Quote:

We can only do one and Providence and Boston are in the same time frame.

What do you mean by that? They are six weeks apart.

The Providence Boat Show is January 7 - 10, 2010.
http://www.providenceboatshow.com/

The New England Boat Show (in Boston) is February 20 - 28, 2010.
http://www.naexpo.com/boatshow/
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
jmen24

gf2020, time frame being the winter months in general (I know, I did a really good job of conveying that), but the reason for the post today was if Providence was the better show for what we are looking for than we would mix up our lives and run down this weekend, if not we will relax and just hit Boston in Feb.

Would LOVE to go to the Miami show but, bringing the kids to Disney in March and an additional trip to Florida is not in the cards, unless golf is involved!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
What do you mean by that? They are six weeks apart.

The Providence Boat Show is January 7 - 10, 2010.
http://www.providenceboatshow.com/

The New England Boat Show (in Boston) is February 20 - 28, 2010.
http://www.naexpo.com/boatshow/

He means his wife says, "You can go to Boston or Providence. PICK ONE!"
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
He means his wife says, "You can go to Boston or Providence. PICK ONE!"
So true, so true. The wife is actually on the fence in general after losing out on a sweet deal last month. She is thinking lets wait another year, I am thinking a month or two should be fine.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
So true, so true. The wife is actually on the fence in general after losing out on a sweet deal last month. She is thinking lets wait another year, I am thinking a month or two should be fine.
Good Luck..... just remember Diamonds go a long way...... and while she is blinded by a new set of earings, you must pounce.....
Old 01-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
robmac

And plane tickets this far in advance are also very resonable.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
Pineedles

I would pick diamonds. She's got a mini-south african mine in her drawer, and I don't regret one little carat of that mine. If only I had been so smart during the first 15 years of our marriage, I would have started mining much much earlier
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
jmen24

You guys crack me up. But if I spend all this money on diamonds, who is going to pay the bill for the slip. I am glad she does not read on here.

The nice thing is she wants a boat more than I do, she is just soured on the process at this point. It is like buying a car, it is fun to shop as long as you do not have to talk to anyone, once you do, not so much.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
bigdog

Default New England Boat Show Opinions

IMO......

Personally, I like the Providence Boat Show. Not too overwhelming, and you can take everything in within a reasonable time. Parking can be challenging.
Providence overall would be a cheaper experience, tickets, parking, etc., and they have some great restaurants downtown! If you decide to go,check-out the Federal Hill Italian area for restaurants, the BEST this side of Italy !

Boston Show, very big, and crowded ! Parking not a problem, but navigating to the area is a pain and tricky !

I use to go to the Harrtford CT show, that was just about right size, at least for me. Not sure if this is still being held ?

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #13
onlywinni

Just my 2 cents

If you are buying a boat, I would buy one in the next month or so...most marinas dont sell too much at this time of the year and they are still all desperate from the lack of sales last year. The poor weather, bad economny and the fact most banks would not loan money really hurt that industry last year, that is why so many companies went under.

With the economy slightly better(fingers crossed) for this upcoming boating season you might not see as good of deals.

I have seen some good deals at shows, but remember it costs the dealers money to bring their boats to shows...you should be able to get a better deal walking in to the dealer and buying something he does not have to tow to a show...

Good luck and look around, because there are a bunch of great deals.
onlywinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #14
gf2020

jmen24, are you shopping for a new or used boat? You mention the sub-30' cruiser class, I assume you mean boats like a Sea Ray Sundancer 270 or similar?

I don't have too much background in those types of boats, but from what I can tell there are plenty of decent used boats for sale of that type right here on this web site and at most of the Lakes Region marinas and dealers.

A boat show can be a good place to climb in and around the boats to check them out but there is generally no compelling reason to actually purchase at a boat show. The lone exception can be if there are special financing rates available only at the show.

I purchased a new center console fishing boat from a local dealer this Fall and I came across lots and lots of lightly used, well maintained cruisers and high performance boats in my search. Higher fuel prices and the 45 MPH speed limit are taking their toll for many.

It's a great time to be buying, not so good to be selling!
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
jmen24, are you shopping for a new or used boat? You mention the sub-30' cruiser class, I assume you mean boats like a Sea Ray Sundancer 270 or similar?

I don't have too much background in those types of boats, but from what I can tell there are plenty of decent used boats for sale of that type right here on this web site and at most of the Lakes Region marinas and dealers.

A boat show can be a good place to climb in and around the boats to check them out but there is generally no compelling reason to actually purchase at a boat show. The lone exception can be if there are special financing rates available only at the show.

I purchased a new center console fishing boat from a local dealer this Fall and I came across lots and lots of lightly used, well maintained cruisers and high performance boats in my search. Higher fuel prices and the 45 MPH speed limit are taking their toll for many.

It's a great time to be buying, not so good to be selling!
You hit it right on the head, we will not be purchasing a new boat, but we would like to be able to see the layouts of different lengths and models of boats without having to drive all around the area, kind of one stop shop. Looking at all the photos of boats online has led us to one thing, the layouts have not changed in years.

Basically we were hoping to get the most bang for our buck as far as selection goes to see the different models in the same place. The boat we missed out on was a 2007 Crownline that ended up going for 25K below book, but we would have gotten into a bidding war on it and we are not interested in living for our boat payment, just living to get out on the boat.

It does not look like Providence is going to happen, so we will go see Boston, although we have an annual camping trip in Feb that might end up being around the same time but we may go down during the week.

Thanks for all the input.