Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
TOAD

Default Best town for fishing access

to the most lakes with state, free, or reasonable launch fees? Want to have access to the most fishing areas as possible within a 20 mile maximum drive.

The Missus and I have been looking for a retirement home up in the lakes region. We like Alton, Wolfeboro, Guilford and Meredith (although Guilford taxes seem a little higher).

We can't afford lake front but want quick and easy access to as many bodies of water as possible.

I have an 18' Lund Alaskan with a 25HP Mercury 4 stroke tiller model....I also kayak fish.

I fish both soft and hard water.

What's the best town?

Toad
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington

Last edited by TOAD; 12-16-2009 at 11:22 AM.
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
dpg

We're in Moultonborough and there's easy (free) access at the town beach. The road ends, going right into the water...Literally. Not sure what kind of access your looking for to other bodies of water but Moultonborough is pretty central.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Toad,

You seem to mention Towns specifically on the East and South side of the big lake. Is there a reason for this. As DPG mentions Center Harbor and Moultonborough are good choices. Both have good access to the big lake, as well Squam lake and Ossipee are not to far away. Toss that in with the assorted other lakes, streams, and ponds in the area, would lead me to believe this would be a satisfactory area for you to try and locate yourself.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Toad,

You seem to mention Towns specifically on the East and South side of the big lake. Is there a reason for this. As DPG mentions Center Harbor and Moultonborough are good choices. Both have good access to the big lake, as well Squam lake and Ossipee are not to far away. Toss that in with the assorted other lakes, streams, and ponds in the area, would lead me to believe this would be a satisfactory area for you to try and locate yourself.
We thought that being between Winni and Winnisquam would be the best just because of the proximity of the two lakes and the other smaller lakes just south of Winni.

We are a little hesitant on Moultonborough or Tuftonborough because of what (in our RE agents opinion) the remoteness from shopping and hospitals. Wife has some medical problems so the proximity of a hospital is somewhat important...hell if I was alone I'd be up there in minute and probably farther north where very few could bother me or me them.

Thanks for the inputs....they are appreciated.

Toad
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
Old 12-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOAD View Post

We are a little hesitant on Moultonborough or Tuftonborough because of what (in our RE agents opinion) the remoteness from shopping and hospitals. Wife has some medical problems so the proximity of a hospital is somewhat important...
I thought this might be the case. It is an unfortunate reality of the location though. Dependant on your wife's medical issues, however what I would suggest is talking to the local Rescue groups, fire dept. and Police dept. You may find dependant on the medical needs of your wife that these some what remote area's away from hospitals already have action plans in place for certain medical emergancies. I obviously can't say that for certain.... but you never know.

I know of one medical emergancy where time was very much of the esicence on an island in moultonborough, and it was amazing how quickly the facilitated a plan to get the young man to a hospital as quick as possible. The ending was a boat ride by a friend to 19 mile bay, where a Ambulance was waiting, for a speedy ride to wolfeboro....
Old 12-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Grady223

Default Wolfeboro

There are 5 lakes in town, Ossippee is 16 miles and Squam is 30 miles. Besides its a great retirement town - lots of activities.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
topwater

Have you given New hampton any thought? Just off exit 23 off of RT93. I can be on Squam in 17 minutes, NewFound lake in 15 minutes, Winnasquam in about 30 minutes, and Winnie in about 30 minutes, then you have Opechee lake near bye as well as winnona,waukewan,pemi lake,wickwas lake, you have the Pemi River that has nice rainbows,smallmouth,some parts have salmon. 20 MinutesNorth you have Plymouth that has SPEARE MEMORIAL HOSTIPAL in it which gives excellent care.
Just 15 minutes south you have exit 20 off of RT93 Tilton, that alot of different shopping options, and another 15 south from there you have Concord which you should be able to shop till you drop. Plenty of resturants any other eating estiblishments. In New Hampton your out of the RAT RACE, with some peace and quiet yet close enough to everything you asked for. Just a thought, and Yes I've lived there for the last 20 years.

P.S. Taxes aren't that bad either!
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
Airwaves

Years ago when I rented on Waukewan I dragged my boat up there only to discover that Meredith had closed (put boulders in the way) the only public boat ramp saying it was the town's drinking water supply.

I ended up launching at a private dirt ramp. Have they reopened the lake to the public?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #9
topwater

Yes Airwaves , there is public access on the lake, its alittle narrow, and its paved with a dock to tie your boat to until you park your truck. I have a 21ft Skeeter Bass boat and can fit there with no problem. Hopes this helps. Also I hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !!!

TOPWATER
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:08 AM   #10
TOAD

Thanks for the info folks....will consider Tuftonborough and Moultonborough in the future..I like the property taxes in those towns. I'm just hoping that the winter weather doesn't put too much of a dent into our house hunting.

TOAD