Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
Dave R

Default Cool boat

I'd love to do some exploring in one of these.

http://www.mokai.com/the-mokai.html
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
fatlazyless

At $3450, that is a pricey kayak, no doubt probably because it is motorized with a Honda 4-stroke tucked away inside the small hull.

You know what works terrific, is fairly cheap, and is very stabile in 12-18+" wakes and waves. An old 17' aluminum canoe set up with a center mounted slide-seat rowing rig with two oarlock outriggers and two 7 1/2' wood oars. Having a balanced center line and a low center of gravity for the slide-seat rig is the key to safety for a canoe. As you probably know, canoes unlike kayaks, are not generally considered too safe or stabile because they have always been easy to roll or tip over with two paddlers. With a row-rig, this is no longer a problem plus the canoe still has two empty seats that can be occupied. Back around 1980, such a row setup was manufactored but now about all that is available is the Piantedosi set-up which is very very well made but too expensive for many folks. Someone in China or someplace, like a garage somewhere in Tuftonboro, needs to come up with a low cost canoe row-rig made from light weight 1" STEEL TUBING. You can find old aluminum canoes for 200-300 dollars in excellent condition too. A 17' canoe has the shape and relatively high gunnels to make it a real nice rowing boat for use on Lake Winnipesaukee. As a row boat, it can be rowed aproximatedly three times faster than it can be paddled.

Plus, the exercise benefits of rowing are well known . With no registration, no insurance (other than your homeowners policy that should include theft and liability for a non-motorized boat), no gasoline, little maintenance, and the benefits of rowing........it's a winner. So, go row, row, row, row, row your boat.....and loose that weight, lower your blood pressure, work off last night's hangover, get away from the wife, and catch some waves......on the cheap!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-15-2009 at 10:46 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
DoTheMath

Very cool - bet that would be a ton of fun to get in all those places you've always wanted to go but never could get into with an O/B powered rig.
DoTheMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Wolfeboro_Baja

I wonder how fast I could get it to go with modifications??

It's interesting though; I love how they start out with this......
Quote:
Why do we seek out wilderness? To experience the beauty and tranquility of nature first hand.
......and then suggest putting a gasoline engine in the middle of all that beauty and tranquility!! Kind of defeats the idea of beauty and tranquility, doesn't it?

I don't know, if I wanted to experience something like that stream, I think I'd want to do it in a kayak.
colt17 (12-15-2009)
Old 12-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
Gearhead

Default I Want One.

If my wife is reading this, I'd like one for Christmas. Green.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
robmac

Forget if she's reading the thread,I forwarded it to my spouse!
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
Shedwannabe

This is what is called "Green-Washing". "Environmentally-friendly" my foot. What is environmentally friendly about a machine that runs on oil imported from thousands of miles away and that makes noise and takes motors and gas sheen to locations previously immune to it? Yes, it probably uses less gas than many boats, but to call it environmentally friendly (as the manufacturers do on their cover page) is like calling swine flu good for you cause it kills less people than lung cancer. "Green" are products that LESSEN your dependence on fossil fuels, not ones that find new ways to extend fossil fuel usage, noise and pollution to areas formerly not so ravaged by human desolation.

If they just advertised it as a kayak with an engine, that at least would be honest. But "environmentally friendly" is just a lie.
Shedwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
NoRegrets

I think it is "green" because it did not use a 2 stroke engine! They should have gone with solar power to really make an impact.

This boat may offer a handicapped person the opportunityto explore where they would not be able to go in a regular "un-powered" kayak.....

Great point on the excessive use of "green" in advertising though.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
Gearhead

Default Hybrid?

I suggest a big key on the back of it, so occasionally you can get out and wind it up.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Ken E

There is one of these on Craigs List today For $ 2450
Ken E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
fatlazyless

And, it is located right here within the Granite State, way up north in the snowmobile capital of Errol, New Hampshire.There's one so-so quality photo and for the asking price of $2450., it comes with a trailer with some big, fat, off-road style tires and the Mokai kayak is green in color.

Judging from the craigslist photo, the Mokai has a relatively short length and wide width up front for a kayak and is much, much more of a planing type hull than a long & gracefull glider-displacement hull.

How low a price will it go for? How about 50-bucks-cash money.....the green stuff....and then resell on the winnipesaukee.com classified for the bargain price of $1499? Any chance of towing it back to Winnipesaukee behind a snowmobile?

While in Errol NH, be sure to visit with 'The Great White Moose' at www.llcote.com, a huge snowmobile and general everything store located in down town Errol at the intersection of Routes 16 & 26.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
There is one of these on Craigs List today For $ 2450

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/1513203069.html

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote