Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
JasonG

Default Moving back to NH from FL. Would love some input on homes

We moved down to FL from NH about 4 years ago. We are looking to move back to NH in the next 6-18 months. We have some flexibility on this.

I am hoping for some input on the southern NH housing market. Basically exits 1-4 off Rt 93.

We are actually hoping to find a nice townhome, 3 bed, garage, newer construction, but I am not seeing a lot of activity for those types of newconstruction or sales. Am I missing something?

Got kids in school, so that is a concern. Londonderry and Windham still good systems? Looking to spend $250k, give or take, so any input would be appreciated on where the best bang for the buck is. Open to renting/rent to own.

Thanks!
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
dpg

Sorry no input on the housing but after the February we've experienced in the last couple weeks I'd stay down there...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Winnilifer

Default Windham,Londonderry area

Have you tried this http://www.newenglandmoves.com/ ?

A brief review shows some promise.

Good luck
Winnilifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
We moved down to FL from NH about 4 years ago. We are looking to move back to NH in the next 6-18 months. We have some flexibility on this.

I am hoping for some input on the southern NH housing market. Basically exits 1-4 off Rt 93.

We are actually hoping to find a nice townhome, 3 bed, garage, newer construction, but I am not seeing a lot of activity for those types of newconstruction or sales. Am I missing something?

Got kids in school, so that is a concern. Londonderry and Windham still good systems? Looking to spend $250k, give or take, so any input would be appreciated on where the best bang for the buck is. Open to renting/rent to own.

Thanks!
For what you are looking for you will need to go west...try some towns like Dunbarton, Weare, New Boston. Getting a 3 bedroom townhouse for 250K is almost unrealistic at this time. You also need to look at property taxes as they're very high in Southern NH. Good Luck!!
Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
Jeanzb1

We moved from North Andover, MA down to Vero Beach, FL in 2008 and moved back last summer! A good decision! But we are now in Gilford, which is the Lakes Region, so I can't speak for southern NH. My only advice is to find a realtor that you really connect with and who is willing to work diligently to find you exactly what you are looking for. Here's wishing you well.....
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #6
JasonG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
We moved from North Andover, MA down to Vero Beach, FL in 2008 and moved back last summer! A good decision! But we are now in Gilford, which is the Lakes Region, so I can't speak for southern NH. My only advice is to find a realtor that you really connect with and who is willing to work diligently to find you exactly what you are looking for. Here's wishing you well.....
I would love the lakes region, but it is to far north for my other half.
I say live where you play.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Exit 10 Hooksett.

I live in and around Nashua area, and find taxes cost of living etc. rather expensive. I move to Hooksett, and found myself in a perfect spot, about an hour to the mountains, ocean and Boston. The Lakes Region is 3/4 hour away! The commute down Everett Turnpike is fairly straight forward and quick. Manchester and Concord particularly next door!

You will notice Hooksett is in Merrimack County. Home and auto insurance are a lot cheaper.

I didn't mind the commute.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
Billy Bob

Default Lots to pick from

I just took a quick look at you will have no issue in Derry or Londonderry in that range and the schools are fine
Try remax.com to see all the properties , realtor.com , even Zillow but then get a realtor you feel good with and let them do the work as a lot of the photos you see on line tend to be less then 100% representative.

RE/MAX has some great fulltime professionals on the site you can pick from
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
Andrea.wiltfong

Default Nh mls

We are looking for a home in Wolfeboro area, so thought I would share this website for you, its the MLS for homes that are currently for sale.

www.nneren.com
Andrea.wiltfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
WakeboardMom

Quote:

Thanks!
Londonderry has traditionally one of the best school systems in the state, with one of the highest property taxes in order to accomplish that. Windham has a big, beautiful new high school but there are issues with the elementary and middle schools that need to be addressed.

Pelham schools are just okay, but you can buy something really nice in Pelham for a good price.

If I were in your shoes, instead of looking at towns along route 93, I'd look at towns along the Everett Turnpike; particularly Hudson and Nashua. Bedford schools are great.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #11
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I live in and around Nashua area, and find taxes cost of living etc. rather expensive. I move to Hooksett, and found myself in a perfect spot, about an hour to the mountains, ocean and Boston. The Lakes Region is 3/4 hour away! The commute down Everett Turnpike is fairly straight forward and quick. Manchester and Concord particularly next door!

You will notice Hooksett is in Merrimack County. Home and auto insurance are a lot cheaper.

I didn't mind the commute.
Yeah but Hooksett isn't all that great far as taxes go and while the town 10 years ago used to be very conservative and fiscally responsible, now a days seems the town has taken a mortal blow of people moving in and rubber stamping every spending idea the town can think of. It's just a matter of time before the let's build a new billion dollar high school comes up again since things have gone south with Manchester.

Suppose it was inevitable since NH is surrounded by very liberal states.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #12
JasonG

How do I convince the wifey to move to Meredith or Gilford then?
Old 02-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #13
Scott's Yott

Lie
Scott's Yott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #14
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

As long as you can afford to live in the Lakes Region, it's a pretty nice, safe place to raise kids. That should mean a lot to her.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #15
Andrea.wiltfong

Default Easy, show her what she gets house wise, then show her lakes region

that is probably how you get wifey to agree to lakes LOL. I am a wife I am super picky with schools, I went to school at ORHS many moons ago. There was no way I was going to pay the property taxes they have there now. My husband is from Alaska, so he had to have a lot of input on towns etc. I love my little town of Wolfeboro! I think it was the best thing we ever did was decide to move here. I have always loved this area, but visiting it and living in it are two totally different things...I am now a lifer in this town :-)

Awesome sense of community
Good Schools
From what I am seeing great home values (but then again used to AK and NJ)
property taxes are pretty cheap compared to what we are used to.

Perhaps make a list of the things you both want for your family, pick a few areas you are interested in and compare. Also, most chamber of commerces offer relocation packets...
Andrea.wiltfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #16
WakeboardMom

Default Originally, I thought the OP might be unrealistic...

But...? (It won't be easy, but there are some deals out there...)

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/57...92859871_zpid/

"Strap on your tool belt...lol...http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10...13620095_zpid/

"Great commuter location" - http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5B...13623304_zpid/
Old 02-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #17
jmen24

Quote:
How do I convince the wifey to move to Meredith or Gilford then?
The schools further North will provide your kids with a better opportunity to realize their potential. The class sizes are smaller and they would be one of a few hundred instead of one of a few thousand.

Bigger schools mean only the top of the top get to play for school teams, as pool of talent is so great.

If you can find work or a commute you can live with, imo the quality of life in Central NH is far greater than that in Southern NH. Less people, less stress and more of a community feeling.

Remember that their are other lakes besides Winni that are a 1/2 hour from Concord or Lebanon.

Having grown up in the Lakes Region, then living and working in Southern NH and now living in the Dartmouth/Sunapee Region. You could not convince me to move back to either location. The slower pace of life, access to all that four season living could ask for (including a lake that is not overrun but boats on a weekend). We have an Olympic caliber ski jumping/Nordic program, a nationally ranked private boarding school that participates in the education of elementary and middle school. Plus my taxes are half of what my parents taxes are in the Lakes Region for a very similar property.

I would ask your wife to take a small vacation up and take a ride up the lesser driven highway in the state, Route 89 and see what the quiet side of the state has to offer.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
Andrea.wiltfong (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #18
Rich

I live in Derry, been here a while (30 years or so????) and I came from N Andover too (but not via FL).

There seems to be plenty of home inventory now. It seems to be a buyers market.

Lots of good schools, just do your homework!

I used to have my real estate license, but that was 20 or so years ago. Things got too 'cut throat' for me, so it wasn't enjoyable anymore. So now I'm just a mere mortal again. LOL.

Good luck in your search, and have try to fun while doing it. In your price range it seems that you can get a nice home, and not even need to be in a condo, unless you prefer it (re: condo fees, vs doing your own maintenance).
Old 02-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #19
JasonG

I appreciate the reply. I was surprised to find this house in Londonderry for so cheap

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5B...13623304_zpid/
Old 02-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #20
Rich

My GF used to live on that street. Most of the homes are stand alone condex. In other words, you share the roof with the person living in the attached unit next to you.

It's a child safe neighborhood and VERY easy access to route 93.

The BEST thing IMHO is that it's walking distance to my favororite restaurant (Cafe Teresa's). Great Italian/Mexican food and you can't beat their Margaritas!! In fact, I'll be there tonight!!

Last edited by Rich; 02-21-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #21
JasonG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My GF used to live on that street. Most of the homes are stand alone condex. In other words, you share the roof with the person living in the attached unit next to you.

The BEST thing IMHO is that it's walking distance to my favororite restaurant (Cafe Teresea's). Great Italian/Mexican food and you can't beat their Margaritas!! In fact, I'll be there tonight!!
I did not even realize that was a condex until just now.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #22
brk-lnt

I've heard Derry is known for the air quality. The other day I overhead someone talking about Derry air in NH.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #23
Rich

Yep... the best Derry Air in NH!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #24
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

The BEST thing IMHO is that it's walking distance to my favororite restaurant (Cafe Teresa's). Great Italian/Mexican food and you can't beat their Margaritas!! In fact, I'll be there tonight!!
The best way to enjoy Cafe Teresa's Margaritas is to walk...or have a DD! They are the best! (And the food is great too!)
Old 02-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #25
hig

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
Londonderry has traditionally one of the best school systems in the state, with one of the highest property taxes in order to accomplish that. Windham has a big, beautiful new high school but there are issues with the elementary and middle schools that need to be addressed.

Curious about the issues that need to be addressed in Windham. What are you referring to exactly?
hig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 AM   #26
Dad sold the C * C

If you find something you like in Londonderry or Derry you may want to ask about a proposed development called the Woodmont Commons Planned Unit Development. This is a 600 acre mixed use "village" to be built mostly on the former Woodmont orchard just north of 102. There is also a proposal for land on the east side of 93 near Derry, but that will not happen until a new exit 4A is built as it is landlocked.

I mention this because I know of two new houses that were sold that overlook the orchard and the new owners were never told that their view will change within a few years. No one knows how fast this will be built, it may span 20 years, but I would not want to live near one of the truck routes while this happens.

Just food for thought from a newbie.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #27
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hig View Post
Curious about the issues that need to be addressed in Windham. What are you referring to exactly?
Modulars.

http://www.areanewsgroup.com/school-...le-classrooms/

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/win...ation/24426058

The high school is wonderful.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #28
Kamper

Here's a house if you don't find a townhouse to your liking.

http://www.mcclintickrealestate.com/...agentid=207497

I have no interest in this property so feel free to bargain hard if you want it.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #29
HellRaZoR004

Looks like that listing was removed on the 13th.

What is with people leaving things/clutter out like that when trying to sell their house? Clean it up some and the presentation of it goes much better. JMHO.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #30
JasonG

Well time has passed and we are putting our house in Oldsmar, FL on the market in December with plans to hopefully move back to NH in January or February.

My wife and I have opened our search criteria to include Merrimack and south of there. There seems to be a lot of nice townhomes and small houses. Looking for a 3/2/2, early $200k range. Not a ton of them, but they are there. We do not mind swinging a hammer and painting.

Originally we talked about moving off exits 1-4 off 93. Any other thoughts about the Merrimack region? Any other regions in S NH come to mind?

Thanks!
Jason
PS - If anyone is looking for a 4 bed home in Oldsmar FL, let me know
Old 10-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #31
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

The Bean Group has a good site. I like their search engine here....
http://www.beangroup.com/property/search.php?state=NH

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #32
8gv

Quote:
Well time has passed and we are putting our house in Oldsmar, FL on the market in December with plans to hopefully move back to NH in January or February.

My wife and I have opened our search criteria to include Merrimack and south of there. There seems to be a lot of nice townhomes and small houses. Looking for a 3/2/2, early $200k range. Not a ton of them, but they are there. We do not mind swinging a hammer and painting.

Originally we talked about moving off exits 1-4 off 93. Any other thoughts about the Merrimack region? Any other regions in S NH come to mind?

Thanks!
Jason
You're going to miss Sonny's...
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #33
chipj29

Quote:

Thanks!
Jason
The exit 1-4 area of I-93 has become a very busy area. Windham is nice, but getting very crowded. I do like the Bedford/Merrimack area though. I have a few friends that live in Merrimack, and like it a lot. Just be picky, as some areas are better than others (like any town really).
Old 10-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #34
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Amherst.

We have good friends who live in Amherst, and it like the best of both worlds. Easy access to all sorts of commercial businesses, but still maintains the atmosphere of a small NH town.

Their July 4th parade is a wonderful small town parade (except for the politicians in an election year ).
Old 10-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #35
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
We have good friends who live in Amherst, and it like the best of both worlds. Easy access to all sorts of commercial businesses, but still maintains the atmosphere of a small NH town.

Their July 4th parade is a wonderful small town parade (except for the politicians in an election year ).
Amherst is beautiful, but the tax rate is very high. We had friends who finally sold their home there. Also a long trek down 101 to gt to the highway.
Not much around there for 200k range.
Maybe the other side of rt. 3. Perhaps Hudson, Salem. Easier commute. Depends where you work.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #36
Rich

I live off of Exit 4 of 93. It's a great spot, easy to be in Boston when you like, and easy to get to the lake (93N), the seacoast (101E), and has Manchester airport just in your backyard.

There are a lot of homes in your price range in this area.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #37
jrc

Remember that NH real estate cost is closely tied to school quality. A town with good schools commands higher prices and taxes than a identical neighboring town with average schools. So your children's ages and need for a public school system may be a factor.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #38
SIKSUKR

Merrimack is getting to the real busy southern Nh area with lots of commuting traffic to Boston if you are near I-93.I-93 is a zoo during commutes in GOOD weather.If your commuting south than it really doesn't matter I guess.I live in Bedford which borders both Merrimack (south)and Amherst (west).My sisters live in Merrimack but right next to Amherst which is a lot different than Merrimack to the south of Bedford as far as traffic.Am I confusing you?I f you are not commuting towards Boston and spending time northward then I would get more towards Manchester.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #39
Kamper

FWIW.... They just made Merrimack exit 12 'toll-free' and in a few years that is planned to be usable in both directions. There are several housing developments to the west of that exit (Bedford Road) as well as some open lots in that area and a little further out.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #40
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Yummm Sonnys......Go to Fla for work once in awhile and I always end up at Sonnys a few times when I'm there.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #41
JasonG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Sonny's BBQ? Damn right I will. I use to love Daves in Manchester, but I guess they closed up?
Old 10-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #42
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Sonny's BBQ? Damn right I will. I use to love Daves in Manchester, but I guess they closed up?
Yup. Closest one is in Portland.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #43
8gv

Quote:
On my long weekend visits to Tierra Verde FL I try to go to Sonny's three times. Wifey bails after the first. My son bails after the second. The third visit is solo.

BUT I COULD QUIT ANY TIME
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
JasonG (10-15-2014)