Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
RLW

Default Live web cam of bald eagles

I am not sure if this should be put in here, but with all the talk about the eagles on the site I thought you would enjoy viewing this site of a live eagles nest with it's chicks. It is located at a fish hatchery in Iowa way up in a tree. The camera is on 24/7 and is used with infrared light at night time. The 3 chicks were just born yesterday and I was lucky enough to see the last one hatch and what a site that was. You can see the mate bringing fish to her and he also brought back a furry rodent which you can see in the photo. the camera does zoom in and out randomly showing many aspects of the nest and surroundings. I hope you enjoy viewing it.

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

If you should find that the camera is off line please come back as it does go off once in a while. Please come back to it at a later time as you do not want to miss it. I just notice that it has had over 25M hits since I logged into it late yesterday afternoon.
Airedale1 (04-09-2011), Lakegeezer (04-07-2011), pam.in.ny (04-09-2011), ronc4424 (04-09-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Senter Cove Guy

Default Norfolk Botanical Gardens Eagle Cam

Here's another eagle cam at the Norfolk Botanical Gradens. It has three "older" chicks.
http://www.wvec.com/marketplace/micr...eagle-cam.html
Old 04-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
idigtractors

Hey ole geezer, I checked out the Iowa eagles and the shot is super impressive. I also tried to check out the other one but wouldn't come up. I have to check the Iowa one this evening to see how it is with the infrared lights on the nest.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
winniforlife

Default Decorah Eagles

I am hooked to this site, it is amazing! My kids are even watching it in school for science! I have a new love for the bald Eagle!!
winniforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
donnamatrix

Default Decorah eagles

I have been watching this site for a while. It is without doubt, the most amazing nest camera. Yesterday, the person monitoring the camera, moved the lens so the mother eagle's head totally filled the space -a closeup. It was just awesome. Plus it has audio, so you can hear her calling to her mate, and soon, you'll be able to hear the chicks as they call to their parents for food.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
pam.in.ny

Oh, these eagle cams are amazing. I found several more of them on the WildEarth TV website. It seems that many nests around the country are beginning to hatch chicks. It'll be nice watching them until the Loon cams start popping up. Now those cams are addicting to watch. Thanks for posting about the eagle cams.
pam.in.ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam.in.ny View Post
Oh, these eagle cams are amazing. I found several more of them on the WildEarth TV website. It seems that many nests around the country are beginning to hatch chicks. It'll be nice watching them until the Loon cams start popping up. Now those cams are addicting to watch. Thanks for posting about the eagle cams.
They showed the birds on the webcam on ABC News this evening. The eaglets are adorable!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Two major Tornadoes in Iowa yesterday. Quite the devastation. We have those people in our thoughts and prayers.
Luckily the nest was not hit, but man, were they swaying up there in the wind.
I keep my office computer on, with that site on the screen most of the day....Great screen saver.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Two major Tornadoes in Iowa yesterday. Quite the devastation. We have those people in our thoughts and prayers.
Luckily the nest was not hit, but man, were they swaying up there in the wind.I They sure were and I was hoping the the nest was securely fastened to that tree. keep my office computer on, with that site on the screen most of the day....Great screen saver.
I thought I was the only crazy adult to be watching them all the time. I too leave it on so when we walk by we can view the goings on. There have been some fantastic shots when they move the camera around. Yesterday they did the whole area showing the houses around the area the fast moving brook/river and showing just how high up in the tree they are. They must be close to another road besides the one that is in the every day shot as I heard a 18 wheeler the other evening coming to a stop with his Jake breaks and then leaving going through all the gears. Some days during the day you can hear people talking
Oh, I forgot, did any of you see them feasting on a nice rabbit yesterday. The chicks sure seemed to like it better than the fish diet they have been on.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
eillac@dow

Thank you for posting this site. I appreciate it.

I had it on all weekend and today at work. Everynow and then, I click over...check them out and back to work I go. It really is pretty cool. I showed my husband, kids and sent the link to co-workers. The eagles are awesome.

Thank you for sharing.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
pam.in.ny

I found this article regarding the actual cam and its installation, used at the Decorah nest. I found it very interesting and thought I'd share for anyone else who might be interested. http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=301569
Old 04-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
RLW

Quote:
I found this article regarding the actual cam and its installation, used at the Decorah nest. I found it very interesting and thought I'd share for anyone else who might be interested. http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=301569
Thanks for posting the address. All that info plus lots more is available on the site that you are watching the eagles on. Just scroll down and you will find many videos going back to Nov and them fight with a red tail hawk that is trying to get their food out of a snow filled nest. There are hundreds of questions answered and many still pictures of them doing the installation of the cams back last Oct I believe. Check it out by just scrolling down the page and enjoy. This guy has been having a ball reviewing and digging into the site and watching. It is a tax deductible organization and they even list how to donate if one chooses to.
If you click onto anything in blue in the write ups as you scroll you will find more info and videos/snap shots

Last edited by RLW; 04-11-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: additional info
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RLW For This Useful Post:
pam.in.ny (04-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
pam.in.ny

Thank you RLW, the info that you posted about is going to be interesting to go through. Being a craniac, aka whooping crane fanatic, I've been watching the sandhill crane migration on the live cam located on the Platt River in NB. Although on the endangered species list (< 600 left), I have seen a few whooping cranes that are migrating along with the sandhills. The eagle cams are a nice break and this Decorah cam is just awesome. A great break when waiting for the cranes to come in a sunset.

I can't wait to go through and look at the archived videos and article. I'm sure it is a excellent reading.

Won't be long now and we'll start seeing the loon cams.

Thank you again.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
RLW

Quote:
Thank you RLW, the info that you posted about is going to be interesting to go through. Being a craniac, aka whooping crane fanatic, I've been watching the sandhill crane migration on the live cam located on the Platt River in NB. Although on the endangered species list (< 600 left), I have seen a few whooping cranes that are migrating along with the sandhills. The eagle cams are a nice break and this Decorah cam is just awesome. A great break when waiting for the cranes to come in a sunset.

I can't wait to go through and look at the archived videos and article. I'm sure it is a excellent reading.

Won't be long now and we'll start seeing the loon cams.

Thank you again.

I do not believe I have seen them. If you have any locations, would mind posting them when the time comes. I too enjoy viewing some of natures wonders.

Check out this Hummingbird nest [/URL]with babies. Quite a difference between large and small birds. http://www.ustream.tv/hummingbirdnestcam

Last edited by RLW; 04-12-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Added humminbirds nesting
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #15
Grant

What happened to the old eagle nest cam from Maine? I suppose the pair didn't return again and it was scrapped. I seem to remember them being referred to as the longest-nesting pair in the region.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #16
RLW

Here is a great picture of the female sitting on the nest today.
Attached Images

pam.in.ny (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #17
Senter Cove Guy

Default The Maine EagleCam Is Still Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
What happened to the old eagle nest cam from Maine? I suppose the pair didn't return again and it was scrapped. I seem to remember them being referred to as the longest-nesting pair in the region.
Check it out: http://www.briloon.org/watching-wildlife/eagle-cam.php

There's at least one egg in the nest laid in late March.
Grant (04-13-2011), pam.in.ny (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #18
Grant

Ha! Thanks. I knew that I should've just e-mailed you first. Great to see they are back.

g
Old 04-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #19
pam.in.ny

A friend of mine watches the Maine nest. He recorded and was telling me that the female eagle was attacked by another eagle a couple weeks ago. Since the attack, she is seldom seen at the nest and when she is, only for short periods. Dad is the dedicated one by incubating the egg that is left. Some are saying that the egg(s) is non-viable from being exposed so long in the cold right after the attack. I guess it was left unattended for almost a day and dad would leave it for periods of time to go hunt for food. If viable, the egg(s) in the nest should hatch the end of April or first part of May.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #20
pam.in.ny

RLW and anyone else who loves loons and interested in watching them.

Loon cams that will be coming online later this month and in May.

My Favorite because it reminds me of the Daisy Duck cam that was online a couple summers ago. Larry Backlund's MNBound Last year, the pair laid two eggs and both were non-viable.

Pacific Loons This is in Anchorage, AK. Last year, the pair laid two eggs and resulted with two chicks hatching. The first day the chicks went out for their first swim with mom, mom returned with only one chick.

BRI Cam
This cam is in Maine and will be going live in May. I found this cam late in the season so didn't get to see the chicks.

I'm sure there may be other Loon cams online but the above three are the ones that I watched last year. It's nice being at work with the outdoor sounds playing in the background.
Hope you enjoy the loons this Spring.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #21
RLW

I think this photo that was zoomed in by the operator is just
I'm attaching a photo that I took this evening of the chicks being feed their supper of fish tonight. The mother eagle is patient and stays right with the feeding process for as long as it takes. These 3 chicks sure have grown in the past few days.
Attached Images

pam.in.ny (04-14-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #22
pam.in.ny

Wow, that is a beautiful and amazing photo of the chicks. They sure have grown. Have you been watching the Duke's Farm Eagle nest? So far, two eggs have hatched with the 3rd waiting to hatch if it's viable. Yesterday, it was a downpour and the female was spread wide and flat to make sure those two chicks were warm and dry.

Thanks for the great pic of the chicks, RLW. Who couldn't love those cuties.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:40 AM   #23
RLW

By the looks of the attached picture it is never to late for a spring time snow storm. This was taken first thing this morning and when I first check mom and dad were both trying to keep the chicks warm.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #24
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Looks like the camera has some spots on it. Noticed one of the chicks was projectile pooping toward the camera...almost like she was trying to hit it.
Doesn't look like snow.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #25
pam.in.ny

RLW,

I don't know if you watch the eagle cam at Norfolk Botanical Gardens or not but thought of you and Decorah when I saw this. The female eagle was killed today near the Norfolk International Airport. I checked the live cam a few minutes ago and thankfully, the father returned to the nest, after being gone all day, with a fish for the 3 chicks.
http://www.wvec.com/my-city/norfolk/US-120702329.html
Old 04-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #26
Lakesrider

Default Virgina Bald Eagle killed today.

So there is a web cam sighted on a nest in the Virginia Botanical gardens. Well the Female Eagle was killed today by an airplane. The pair was flying together, but only the female was killed. The nest remained empty all day with no feeding, so everyone started getting worried about the three eaglets. But Dad came through and arrived with a fish and at least got some food to the three young.

http://www.wvec.com/marketplace/micr...eagle-cam.html

Now the interesting part. I never knew until today that dead Bald and Golden Eagle, when found, are sent to repository in CO. From there parts are sent off to Native Americans for use in ceremonies. Also learned that no one else is supposed to in possession of any parts of a Bald or Golden Eagle. Learn something new everyday I guess.

http://www.fws.gov/le/natives/EagleRepository.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Grant (04-27-2011), pam.in.ny (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #27
Lakesrider

Wow. At about the same time you posted this, I put up a new thread about it.... Sad about the female eh?
Luckily Dad pulled through it all and brought some food to the nest.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #28
pam.in.ny

Yes, I saw that.

Here's a video clip that I recorded of dad feeding the kids on his own for the first time.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #29
RLW

Haven't the chicks grown in the past week. They are eating off of the nest a lot now without the help of mom and dad. They just drop it and the chicks pick it up. I hate to disappoint you, but dad has been feeding the chicks for better than 3 weeks now. I have some wonderful pictures of him doing his fair share of feeding. Mom even brought food (fish) back yesterday why he sat up on a branch watching over them. They did some fantastic close up shots for better than 15 minutes yesterday. They even put the camera in on a barn way across the field on a horse coming out of the barn door.
Here is a nice shot of the female sitting up on the branch like I mentioned above and the barn that they zoomed in on when the horse was coming out.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #30
Lakesrider

We were talking about the Father Eagle at the Virginia nest...
Old 04-27-2011, 04:58 AM   #31
RLW

Thumbs up I realized after----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
We were talking about the Father Eagle at the Virginia nest...
I'm sorry, I realized that as I hit the send key. The 2 nests look very similar however the chicks are a lot darker. They sure are a ball watching them. The Iowa one is my screen saver most of the day so when I walk into the office I can see what is new going on in the nest and the sounds of all the other birds around and the semi trucks stopping at the stop sign and starting back up near the nest location.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #32
pam.in.ny

Norfolk Botanical Gardens Eaglets Relocation.
Quote:
DGIF biologists have decided that it is in the best interest of the eaglets to remove them from the nest and relocate them to the Wildlife Center of Virginia. The removal operation will take place at 10 a.m.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #33
RLW

pam.in.ny , I have not been watching that site. Could you please pass on what is the reason for the relocation. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #34
Grant

That was a really impressive operation. No easy task, either. The wind was really blowing. the climber is on his way down now.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #35
pam.in.ny

Grant,
Yes it was some operation and no easy task. I am so glad they kept the cam on and will do so to see what the father will do. Hopefully, he'll find a new mate and next year there will be another clutch.

RLW, The biologists felt it best for the 3 eaglets to be moved to a wildlife center so that they can fledge safely. With the mother having been killed, at this age, they didn't think the father would be able to properly care and raise them. Also, with the father having to be away from the nest to hunt for food, the eaglets are exposed to attacks. It's a no win situation but the eaglets will be cared for, as necessary, and will be released into the wild at the right time. The blog will have one of the biologists on it live today for a Q & A. I know there will be more information and assurances touched upon there.

Before I forget, RLW, I just want to say that I absolutely love your "Have a nice day" signature.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #36
pam.in.ny

Photo from today's removing the eaglets from the Norfolk nest.
The Following User Says Thank You to pam.in.ny For This Useful Post:
Sunset Bob (04-27-2011)
Old 05-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #37
Rusty

The Decorah eaglets sure are growing.

Below is an image of them being fed by either Mom or Pop. Sorry for the quality of the image, it's difficult to get a good snip of them because they move around a lot now.

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #38
Lakesrider

Looking today I only see one in the nest, but if you haven't been watching lately the birds are getting ready to fly. E1 has been flapping and lifting off the nest quite often. Maybe E1 and E2 are already gone?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #39
pam.in.ny

Lakerider, Eagles usually fledge between 11-13 weeks on average. I think the Decorah eagles are just 9 weeks old? I can't remember exactly when they were born but it won't be long now. It's amazing how much they've grown and how they went from being little puff balls to majestic looking young eagles.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #40
Lakesrider

I don't know that first born eaglet is ready to go.
Flapping like a madman today to. Have you noticed they are infested with those little gnats....yikes that would drive me crazy enough to want off that nest alone.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #41
pam.in.ny

It is a show of its own watching them trying to take flight? Yes, I noticed the gnats. They seemed to have arrived right after mom or dad brought the deer leg. I thought perhaps it was a way for the parents to entice the kids to move out of the nest, sooner rather than later. Oh, the smell!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #42
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Lakerider, Eagles usually fledge between 11-13 weeks on average. I think the Decorah eagles are just 9 weeks old? I can't remember exactly when they were born but it won't be long now. It's amazing how much they've grown and how they went from being little puff balls to majestic looking young eagles.
Pam, 1st was born on April 2nd, the next the 3rd and the last on the 6th.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #43
pam.in.ny

Thanks Ralph. That puts #1 at 66 days old. It's seems like yesterday they were just hatching. Time flies.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #44
Lakesrider

Not sure if anyone is still watching the cam, but the eagles have left the nest and are now out on a branch. Not sure if any have actually flown or not.

http://biggeekdad.com/2011/03/decorah-eagles-webcam/
Old 06-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #45
pam.in.ny

Thanks Lakesrider.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #46
Flylady

Default Maiden flight

The new in Ca reported that one of the eagles took their first flight today leaving the branch and flying several hundred feet before returning to the nesting tree! I checked the sight a few hours ago and suddenly there was a thunderstorm rolling through with heavy rain!
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote