Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Loub52

Default Suggestions For Boating Routes & Lunch

Looking for 2 suggestions...

First, I'm looking for suggestions on routes to navigate from Shep Brown's at Lovejoy Sands over to Moultonborough Bay. For perspective, I'm working with a 22 foot Monterey bowrider with a 36 gallon fuel capacity. I've gone as far as passing under the bridge at Long Island Road, but have doubts about the best "novice boater" way to safely travel from that point....appears to me that there are many navigational hazards along the way. I have an up to date GPS map of the lake and a current Bizer chart.

Second, can someone recommend a good place for lunch in the Moultonborough Bay area?

Thanks!
Loub52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
RLW

Smile Welcome

Loub52, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

I'm unfamiliar with that area, but I am sure you will get answers to both of your questions. Thanks for posting

Loub52 (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loub52 View Post
Looking for 2 suggestions...

First, I'm looking for suggestions on routes to navigate from Shep Brown's at Lovejoy Sands over to Moultonborough Bay. For perspective, I'm working with a 22 foot Monterey bowrider with a 36 gallon fuel capacity. I've gone as far as passing under the bridge at Long Island Road, but have doubts about the best "novice boater" way to safely travel from that point....appears to me that there are many navigational hazards along the way. I have an up to date GPS map of the lake and a current Bizer chart.

Second, can someone recommend a good place for lunch in the Moultonborough Bay area?

Thanks!
There really isn't anywhere in Moultonborough that you can park a boat for lunch. You could park at Lee's Mills, but there aren't any restaurants within walking distance. If you go to Center Harbor people from the Canoe Restaurant will pick you up at the docks.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
Happy Gourmand

Default $100 dollar cheeseburger

Sale this weekend only. Half price, and we deliver. PM your order with your cc number
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
DickR

First, from Shep Brown's, I'd go around the north end of Bear Island directly across the way, likely the way you went to the Long Island Bridge. If you go that way, you can follow the charts to take you around the north end of Dow Island and a few others to Moultonborough Bay, coming out to the north end of the "Graveyard" (inspiring name for boaters, eh?). Or you could continue SE, through the "six pack" of markers by the east point of Long Island and around to the lower end of the Graveyard.

Or, having gone around the north end of Bear Island, you could go SE across the upper broads to the passage between the lower end of Long Island and Sandy Island, through the "Hole in the Wall" between Little Bear Island and Devon Island, and straight ENE over to the lower end of the Graveyard. Or from there go around that, passing to the west of Chase Island and back over to the north into the rest of Moultonborough Bay.

As for lunch along the way, your best (and maybe only) bet, for a truly satisfying spread, made to order, and at rock-bottom price, is the one you pack and bring with you. Maybe you can get a decent ice cream dessert at the store at 19 Mile Bay, assuming they do that this year.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Dave R

I prefer the route under the LI bridge and then hang a left and go up to Pistol Island via the north route around Dow. It's really confusing though as you start with reds on left, blacks on right, then switch at Pistol Island, then switch back at north end of Spectacle Island, then switch back again if you turn to head toward Lee's Mill.

Easiest would be to go through the six pack, then between Whortleberry Island and Chase Point and turn to due east, then head north up the west shore of Chase Island to avoid the Graveyard altogether.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
lfm

Default 19 mile bay for lunch

I agree with Dave, easiest would be through the six pack, if you continue between Chase and Farm Island you can head to 19 mile bay. They have a good Deli and the best chicken fingers on the lake in my son's opinion. If they don't have what you want, just ask and they will coat them with whichever flavor you like. They still serve ice cream as well.
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
Loub52

Default Great feedback!

Thanks for all of your suggestions...to build some confidence, we'll try the six pack route to start, prior to attempting the more northern track toward Moultonborough. We'll also be sure to pack a lunch in case we have trouble finding those awesome chicken fingers at 19 Mile Bay along the way.

On our first treck beyond LI Bridge, we started out heading on the northern route past Dow island. Despite thinking we were on the correct side of the markers, quickly found ourselves in an area of 6' deep water that made us immediately uneasy, so we did a 180 and returned the way we came. Live and learn!
Old 07-05-2014, 05:33 AM   #9
Baja Guy

That route "above" Dow is a nail biter to the unfamiliar. I live near there and I just go south through the 6 pack, curve around in a big arc to port and then go north through the Graveyard. Six pack and Graveyard are both solid topped markers that you stay between.
But going in to 19 Mile Bay misses the Graveyard altogether, a bonus to me. Plus 19 Mi is a friendly place to stop, tie up, and take a few minutes to relax while using the little store for things you just gotta have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baja Guy For This Useful Post:
Dave R (07-05-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
gslpro

Default Why avoid the Graveyard??

It is well marked, not tight, and a breeze to go through. For lunch, go the store, pack your lunches, and find a wonderful spot on the way up through Moultonborough. Buzzell Cove is great for anchoring and eating/swimming. A bit further, and you will find numerous other places as well. Green's Basin is a good place to drop anchor, have lunch, swim a bit, and look for the Loon Chicks swimming around with the parents. Enjoy!

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslpro View Post
It is well marked, not tight, and a breeze to go through.
I agree as well .... then again been boating here for 30+ yrs.

My advice however is glance at the chart to get on the proper side of the Red top located between Melvin Isl. & Whortleberry Isl. ........... I cannot begin to count how many times I have seen boats do that wrong !!

Old 07-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

My advice however is glance at the chart to get on the proper side of the Red top located between Melvin Isl. & Whortleberry Isl. ........... I cannot begin to count how many times I have seen boats do that wrong !!

I saw the same boat pass very far to the wrong side of both FL12 and FL13 yesterday morning, heading toward Lee's Mill. FL 12 is pretty close to Twin Islands and the exposed rocks around them, so I can understand that mistake. I have seen may people pass safely on the wrong side of it as well, so perhaps it is poorly placed, but FL13 is in a big group of spars that really stand out in the morning sun and I can't fathom what would make someone think that passing through the middle of a bunch of red and black topped spars surrounding exposed rocks is a good idea.

I always thought that area was pretty easy to navigate.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I agree with all comments and routes suggested here... Unfortunately Nineteen Mile Bay, and the convenience store located there, is really the only destination where you could get something to eat. However having said that there are countless places to anchor out and enjoy something to eat that you bring along. Especially once you get further up towards Lees Mills....

As others have noted the graveyard is very well marked so don't be scared of it.

The best advice is to take it slow when you get into areas you are unfamiliar with. I just looked at my Bizer map and all the routes are nicely ploted out. Just be careful of the direction switch of the Markers around Spectacle Island.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #14
Winopt

Default Black Island

In the same area, there looks like a cove inside Black Island. Is it navigable? If so, is it an anchor/lunch destination?
Thanks!
Winopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:26 AM   #15
diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winopt View Post
In the same area, there looks like a cove inside Black Island. Is it navigable? If so, is it an anchor/lunch destination?

Thanks!

We rented a house in that cove a few years ago. The cove isn't that big and it's very shallow.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #16
Winopt

Default Black Island Cove

On the chart it looks like you can go in, but that area can be trouble.
We are always looking for those places to escape, especially in the wind.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:12 AM   #17
Loub52

Default In the end...

This really turned out to be a great discussion thread for my wife and I to learn about this area of the lake!

Yesterday, we ended up taking the very low risk route of travelling to Moultonborough Bay from Merideth Neck passing north of Bear Island to Long Island Bridge through the 6 pack, past Dow and Whortleberry Island, between Melvin and Chase Islands to 19 mile Bay. We took a break there, then headed up Moultenborough Bay to take a look at Smith Cove and Langley Cove prior to returning back over to the Merideth Neck Area.

The visibility was great yesterday, so we could see the graveyard markers off to our west as we headed up the bay. Next time in the area we'll take it real slow and maybe give the Graveyard a try.

Thanks again for everyones thoughtful posts!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #18
Lakegeezer

Default Bahama Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winopt View Post
Thanks!
The cove inside Black Island is nicknamed "Bahama Beach". There have, on occasion, been rafts of large boats in there enjoying the shallow and sandy bottom. Using the east side of the cove, near the backside of Black Island, keeps you away from the numerous residents on the Long Island side of the cove. Be careful going in there, (ie, raise your centerboard) but it is not really that bad and is one of the few good and legal rafting destinations - at least for now.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #19
Winopt

Thanks Lakegeezer!

Lou52, next time keep using your chart and make your way all the way up to Greens Basin. The Basin is great to anchor. Also, right before Greens, you can dock on Blanchard. It is a small island great for a little exploring, a swim and or picnic.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #20
Greene's Basin Girl

There is also a rope swing on some land across from Blanchard Island. Many boaters anchor there while there children enjoy the swing.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote