Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts
Default Speeding is speeding

One of my neighbors has a single racing shell....I think he rowed crew in college.Anyway,he whistles past my dock almost every morning around 7am doing around 10-12mph.Wouldn't it be a hoot if demanded that the MP come up and clock him some morning (we are in a 6mph zone) ........hey,the law is the law.This is a criminal we're dealing with.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Most all rowboats have the rower facing to the stern so's the boat is moving forward without too good of a look ahead by the rower. Maybe a new law requiring a speedometer and port and starboard side mirrors to enable a safe outlook ahead and speed control. Hey there Samian.....it's time to call your state rep and request a new law be passed. (big laughy smiley face!)

Old 17' aluminum canoes made in the 1960's and 70's by companies such as Grumman, Alumacraft, Michicraft, and Sea Nymph can be found for a couple hundred dollars and turned into rowing canoes that move along through the water real good.

Some enterprising local small business in a home garage could be making el cheapo, tubular steel, sliding seat, rowing rigs with outriggers and oarlocks set up with 7'6"' wood oars, and screwed to the canoe gunnels. These used to exist maybe twenty years ago and worked very well with aluminum canoes that have a 3/4" keel running the canoe's length Their speed can range up to 10 mph, and they do pretty good in choppy water what with their seated rower's very low center of gravity, and the high sides of a canoe.

Whenever you go for a row, just be carefull to keep the speed below 45mph.

Just imagine the laughs you would get when you row over to the NazBar in a canoe.....and be super charged by Captain Morgan for the row home!

Do canoes even need any type of a light for at night?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-07-2009 at 07:42 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
One of my neighbors has a single racing shell....I think he rowed crew in college.Anyway,he whistles past my dock almost every morning around 7am doing around 10-12mph.Wouldn't it be a hoot if demanded that the MP come up and clock him some morning (we are in a 6mph zone) ........hey,the law is the law.This is a criminal we're dealing with.
where's this zone sam? I will come by and make a citizen arrest!
Old 08-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
fatlazyless

...lol.....shallow, rocky water and motorboats are not a friendly mix.....
Old 08-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Thanks,anyway,OCDACTIVE,.....but if you value your outdrive,you don't want to be there.......what kind of draft do you have on the ActiveThunder?....30" maybe?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Thanks,anyway,OCDACTIVE,.....but if you value your outdrive,you don't want to be there.......what kind of draft do you have on the ActiveThunder?....30" maybe?
You know.... I never actually checked.. I am overly cautious so if it is less then 5 feet I don't even think about it. But something I will look into.

The other issue for me is my pickup is all the way at the bottom of the drive, so even if I get within a foot I will suck up silt, sand, etc and it gets caught in my sea strainer. Luckily I have one so that I don't blow my impeller.

Hopefully run into you next year... I am having the engine rebuilt (blew it up this past season) and I am getting quotes on a paint job as well. If the budget allows I should be driving a brand new boat next year!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
Gavia immer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Most all rowboats have the rower facing to the stern so's the boat is moving forward without too good of a look ahead by the rower. Maybe a new law requiring a speedometer and port and starboard side mirrors to enable a safe outlook ahead and speed control. Hey there Samian.....it's time to call your state rep and request a new law be passed. (big laughy smiley face!)

Old 17' aluminum canoes made in the 1960's and 70's by companies such as Grumman, Alumacraft, Michicraft, and Sea Nymph can be found for a couple hundred dollars and turned into rowing canoes that move along through the water real good.

Some enterprising local small business in a home garage could be making el cheapo, tubular steel, sliding seat, rowing rigs with outriggers and oarlocks set up with 7'6"' wood oars, and screwed to the canoe gunnels. These used to exist maybe twenty years ago and worked very well with aluminum canoes that have a 3/4" keel running the canoe's length Their speed can range up to 10 mph, and they do pretty good in choppy water what with their seated rower's very low center of gravity, and the high sides of a canoe.

Whenever you go for a row, just be carefull to keep the speed below 45mph.

Just imagine the laughs you would get when you row over to the NazBar in a canoe.....and be super charged by Captain Morgan for the row home!

Do canoes even need any type of a light for at night?
Canoes *are* required to show a light at night.

Ever notice the diagram as an example in the Boaters Guide? It shows a hanging lantern held up. When you are alone in a canoe, how were you supposed to show the light and paddle at the same time?
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote