Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
Marine Patrol

Default Temporary Black Topped Buoy, Eagle Island

FYI Winni Forum

Marine Patrol Press Release

On 2/20/2016 divers from the Winnipesaukee Flagship Corp conducted a survey of the shallow channel located between Eagle and Governors Island in the Town of Gilford. The survey was conducted with the intent to identify any potential hazards low water levels might create for the Mt. Washington Excursion Ship.

Captain Jim Morash of the Winnipesaukee Flagship Corp. contact Marine Patrol regarding one rock posing a possible hazard. It was found approximately eight feet below the surface within the navigable channel. Upon inspection, Marine Patrol took action by placing another black topped buoy marking the rock. It is located a short distance west of Light Buoy #2 on the Governors Island side of the existing “No Wake” zone.

The depth of the rock does not pose a problem for traditional recreational boats operating on the lake. The temporary buoy will remain in place until water levels return to seasonal levels or after the final cruise of the “Mount”.

Safe Boating!!

Capt. Tim Dunleavy
Marine Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Marine Patrol For This Useful Post:
billy (09-23-2016), BroadHopper (09-26-2016), Descant (09-23-2016), Diana (09-24-2016), Hillcountry (09-23-2016), ishoot308 (09-23-2016), Kamper (09-23-2016), LIforrelaxin (09-26-2016), Rattlesnake Gal (09-23-2016), Resident 2B (09-26-2016), salty dog (09-23-2016), Senter Cove Guy (09-23-2016), Slickcraft (09-23-2016), thinkxingu (09-23-2016), upthesaukee (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
JPC

Default Remove the rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine Patrol View Post
FYI Winni Forum

Marine Patrol Press Release

The depth of the rock does not pose a problem for traditional recreational boats operating on the lake.

Capt. Tim Dunleavy
If this is suppose to be a safe navigable channel then why can't the rock be removed? There is a similar obstruction in the Smith Cove channel that has been hit by multiple keels (sail boats) with damage $$$.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
TriDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC View Post
"There is a similar obstruction in the Smith Cove channel".
Where is the rock / obstruction in the Smith Cove channel ?
TriDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
If this is suppose to be a safe navigable channel then why can't the rock be removed? There is a similar obstruction in the Smith Cove channel that has been hit by multiple keels (sail boats) with damage $$$.
Because, it is 8 feet below the surface.... and in most years is not a problem, even for the Mount, this year as the lake level continues to fall however, They want to make sure the mount doesn't have an issue.

I am sure the Winnipesaukee Flagship Corp. is surveying all over the lake, as they likely don't want to have another grounding incident...
Resident 2B (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
Off topic to this thread, but this past weekend I saw a sailboat hung-up on something just between the two red-top markers in Smith Cove.

It appeared to have occurred close to land on the Varney Point Right side as if the sail boat had drifted a bit closer to land than a straight line between the two red-top markers. I've seen many other sail boats come through the same channel with no problems. I think this one drifted a bit too far north.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
Kamper

Quote:
... why can't the rock be removed? ... $$$.
By the time the environmental impact studies are completed, there will probably be enough water to make it a moot issue.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #7
fltsimguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Off topic to this thread, but this past weekend I saw a sailboat hung-up on something just between the two red-top markers in Smith Cove.

It appeared to have occurred close to land on the Varney Point Right side as if the sail boat had drifted a bit closer to land than a straight line between the two red-top markers. I've seen many other sail boats come through the same channel with no problems. I think this one drifted a bit too far north.
If this is the same one I saw, it was in front of our dock. Our dock is right across from the Inn at Smith Cove. It's OK in the middle/southern side of the channel, but on the north side it is shallower, as noted above. Sail boat needed a power boat to free it from the sandbar.
fltsimguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #8
Rich

Quote:
why can't the rock be removed?
I often think the same thing!

If everyone just stopped by The Witches, once a weekend, once per boat, and picked up a rock, in short order, they would no longer be a hazard and danger. Heck, we may have another nice sand bar to enjoy and share together and it wouldn't be too close to anyone's property, so no more complaints!

Also if property owners knew of a rock in front of their property, wade or swim out and move it to the shore, then there would be no more broken boats.

The power of the community coming together to solve an issue.

We'd also be keeping the map makers in business, as the rocks and hazards change, they can update their charts each year, and sales would increase as everyone would need to buy a new chart, every year. Think of the improved local economy!

Do your part, pick up a rock!
Old 09-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #9
JPC

Default Smith Cove rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
It's about 15 ft from the Black marker across from the lighted marker. I was on "FIREWORKS" a couple yrs ago when it hit this rock mid Sept. This boat draws 6ft and the channel was fine except for above this rock. The rock is very visible now with the low water level. It has a couple white impact streaks across it.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:20 PM   #10
JPC

Default environmental impact studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
By the time the environmental impact studies are completed, there will probably be enough water to make it a moot issue.
I've of been told that the Amy Corp of Engineers will not allow removing this rock. The Marine Patrol officer, who took the boat owners statement after he hit the rock, said that it would take an "Act of Congress" to remove that rock.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #11
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If everyone just stopped by The Witches, once a weekend, once per boat, and picked up a rock, in short order, they would no longer be a hazard and danger. Heck, we may have another nice sand bar to enjoy and share together and it wouldn't be too close to anyone's property, so no more complaints!
Friends who have kayaked out there tell me that there's no way you want to touch those rocks, thanks to the birds.
Hillcountry (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #12
Rattletrap

Quote:
It's about 15 ft from the Black marker across from the lighted marker. I was on "FIREWORKS" a couple yrs ago when it hit this rock mid Sept. This boat draws 6ft and the channel was fine except for above this rock. The rock is very visible now with the low water level. It has a couple white impact streaks across it.
Will someone post a map view of the approximate location of this rock?
Old 09-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #13
noreast

Quote:
Right, Leave the rock there and bank the billion dollar impact study.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
Kamper (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 08:32 AM   #14
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts
Default Citizen Article

http://www.citizen.com/node/63092?pk...ign=Newsletter
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #15
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
I assume that you mean between the black and the red, i.e, about 15' NW of the black marker.

I'll take a look when I go by today.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #16
JPC

Default Smith Cove rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
I assume that you mean between the black and the red, i.e, about 15' NW of the black marker.
That is correct
Old 09-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #17
Onshore

Quote:
Actually for one or two large boulders there wouldn't be any environmental impact study required. This really comes down to two things that folks are selectively conscientious about: money and ownership. As part of the lakebed the rocks are not owned by any one entity but rather are part of the "public trust." Dredging them out of the lake and hauling them off is actually a property transfer that can only be authorized by the Governor and Executive Council. That little detail aside there is also the question of just who is going to pay for the removal. No state agency has the equipment to get this job done. We wouldn't use it enough to justify the expenditure. It would need to be contracted out meaning it would need to go out to bid. And since this means authorizing a special expenditure (read spending money...) this will also require Governor and Executive Council approval. At some point in this process it can be guaranteed that, since we do still live in NH and it is still a relatively frugal state, some one will ask "Is this the cheapest.. I mean most cost effective way we can deal with this?" The answer will of course be "No, we could spend less money and just mark the hazards until it rains or freezes over. People ought to look at the conditions and be responsible for themselves. Where do folks think they are, (fill in name of nearby state held in disdain here)?" Thus it is highly, highly, unlikely that the State will be going out and removing individual rocks, the witches, or for that matter Sleeper Island, any time soon.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
DRH (09-28-2016), Rattlesnake Gal (09-28-2016), Top-Water (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #18
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shore things View Post
Actually ... it is highly, highly, unlikely that the State will be going out and removing individual rocks, the witches, or for that matter Sleeper Island, any time soon.

So, it's a moot point?
Old 09-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #19
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Thanks to Shore Things for a good, complete response. I will suggest that there are times when a rock or two could be moved a few feet to improve navigation safety and dock access. Mostly, we need an individual to pay (not the state)
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:46 PM   #20
Top-Water

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by shore things View Post
People ought to look at the conditions and be responsible for themselves.
A sincere thanks for this sentence.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (09-28-2016), Winnisquamer (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #21
Onshore

Quote:
So, it's a moot point?
Beyond moot.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #22
rander7823

Default So you are saying it doesn't matter?

rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rander7823 For This Useful Post:
Pontoon Goon (10-01-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #23
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

The state finances and performs many functions that are for "the public good".

You could take the "people ought to look at the conditions and be responsible for themselves" phrase to an extreme. Should the state stop plowing and sanding? Should the state stop regulating the lake level? Should the state stop citing people for traffic violations? The problem is finding the level of acceptable personal responsibility that is found by the majority to be acceptable. That is a difficult balance.

Having said that, it would be helpful if several of the rocks on the right as you exit the Weirs Channel heading back into the main lake were removed. I have seen them hit several times and I am sure others have too.

And, what about eyesores? The property adjacent to the Weirs bridge including the dock that is falling into the lake, the wall that is ready to collapse, and the buildings that have seen better days, should be torn down. It is too bad that the property owner does not have more pride in his property.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
noreast (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 06:29 AM   #24
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
... it would be helpful if several of the rocks on the right as you exit the Weirs Channel heading back into the main lake were removed. I have seen them hit several times ...
I've heard that from other people too who cut that corner when the water was low. Unless you draw less than 6 inches, I would suggest that is one place every boater should pretend to be the Mount and give it a lot of clearance.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:26 PM   #25
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The state finances and performs many functions that are for "the public good".

You could take the "people ought to look at the conditions and be responsible for themselves" phrase to an extreme. ...

Having said that, it would be helpful if several of the rocks on the right as you exit the Weirs Channel heading back into the main lake were removed. I have seen them hit several times and I am sure others have too.

And, what about eyesores? The property adjacent to the Weirs bridge including the dock that is falling into the lake, the wall that is ready to collapse, and the buildings that have seen better days, should be torn down. It is too bad that the property owner does not have more pride in his property.
How about using the same method that the State of NH uses for people that live/work south of Concord? Simply place a toll booth near the major channels and "ear-mark the funds for Lake Improvements". Then dump those funds into the State of NH General Fund and disburse it to every
feel-good program the elected officials can dream up?
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote