Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2014, 11:13 PM   #1
lilyelgato

Default Any Winni ghost stories?

Do you have a winnipesaukee ghost story to share?
lilyelgato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:30 AM   #2
RLW

Smile

lilyelgato, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

A Happy Halloween to you and thanks for joining us here on the forum.

lilyelgato (10-27-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Children camps

All the children camps around the lake has a campfire story or two. Ask the directors. Also there is an old book a believe of Lakes Region or NH stories. You may want to google for it.
lilyelgato (10-27-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
Chickie

Default Hathaway House Spirit

There has been talk of ghostly appearances at the Hathaway House for decades. It is believed to be the spirit of Clarissa Clark, wife of Squire Samuel C. Clark who erected the house. Samuel died there in 1897 and Clarissa in 1901. A number of people attest to seeing an elderly woman in period dress roaming the house.

Now that it is being demolished and she is being evicted, so to speak, I wonder if she will place a curse on donuts and haunt the place into eternity. Or will she move on to the next world and never be seen again??

WooooWoooo, Thump, thump, Bump bump.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chickie For This Useful Post:
lilyelgato (10-27-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default Alton Town Hall

There is a ghost that "lives" in the clock tower:

http://www.hauntspot.com/haunt/usa/n...own-hall.shtml

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3546,6823959

http://books.google.com/books?id=OCH...0ghost&f=false

I have been there alone at night and was spooked by the strange noises
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
lilyelgato (10-27-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
LadyJane

There was a thread about a year or so ago about some shop in the area and an item in the room that moved, or was smashed to the floor and there was nobody there. I think they had it on camera too. Anybody remember that thread?
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyJane For This Useful Post:
lilyelgato (10-30-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
IslandRadio

The Castle on Sleepers Island - I've talked to one of the actual residents and she can tell you some interesting stuff. I can't possibly remember all of what I was told, but I'm sure the young lady would say, if asked

Yes, and there was that incident at "The Barn" in Gilford where a glass pastry dish flew off the counter and fell to the floor under its own power. That one was caught on video, and there is (or was) a thread about it somewhere.
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IslandRadio For This Useful Post:
lilyelgato (10-27-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJane View Post
There was a thread about a year or so ago about some shop in the area and an item in the room that moved, or was smashed to the floor and there was nobody there. I think they had it on camera too. Anybody remember that thread?
Ellacoya store in font of the restaurant:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ellacoya+ghost
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
LadyJane (10-27-2014), lilyelgato (10-30-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
wifi

Perfect thread to usher in Halloween
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:24 AM   #10
riverat

Default caught on film

http://www.scaryforkids.com/ghost-chair/
lilyelgato (10-30-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
lilyelgato

Default spooooooky

These are some awesome ghost leads! I'm so excited to follow up on them. Thank you all so much. I've only heard about the Alton Town Hall, but can't remember what the ghost was up to. There's so much history here, I figured there had to be more stories.

And, yes I'm brand new to the forum and somewhat newish to the area. My in-laws have been here for years, so I guess you could say I married into the winnipesaukee community. Thanks for the warm welcome!
The Following User Says Thank You to lilyelgato For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (10-27-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 07:00 AM   #12
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Kimball Castle
Gilford
kimballcastle.com
Located on a 24-acre tract of land, this former estate of railroad magnate Benjamin A. Kimball is said to be haunted. There have been instances of unexplained loud noises, lights behind closed doors in vacant rooms and antique clocks that suddenly - and mysteriously - begin working again.

Laconia - Colonial Theater and Old Streetcar Place (2nd floor) (above Hector's restaurant?)

Ossipee, NH

Archers Pond & Polly's Crossing - The Rumors about Archers Pond and Polly's Crossing in Ossipee, NH are endless. They include the ghost of a man named Archie who killed everyone in the small village surrounding Archers Pond and threw the bodies into the pond, creatures living behind the pond in the hills, shaking cars, horrific screaming sounds, strange lights in the woods, a girl hit by a train, and the Plague. Check out what we found about Archers Pond and Polly's Crossing.

Sanbornton, NH Steele Hill Resort - The rumor: The older main building is haunted by a man who is seen walking the halls whistling and has been seen opening doors and windows. We have been to Steele Hill Resort many times, in the same old building, slept there on many occasions, used the pool and the restaurant numerous times, but have not seen or heard anything.

The 1875 Inn, Tilton
Innkeeper Joanna Oliver was putting the finishing touches on her new acquisition in 2001 when a woman stopped by and talked about the inn's history. Distracted, Joanna paid minimal attention to the stories, one of which was about a girl named Laura. She died in a fire in the building when it was a rooming house in the 19th century. Laura was only 12 when she died. But Oliver remembered this conversation months later when a guest told her that she had seen a young girl sitting on her bed in the Samuel Sanborn room. There were no young girls at the Inn at the time. About a year later another guest was staying in the Mary Baker Eddy room which is close to the Samuel Sanborn room, and told Joanna that he witnessed a young girl leaving his room and she just disappeared. A motorcyclist staying at the Inn during the major annual NH event Bike Week in 2006 said he saw a teenage girl in his room. She then disappeared but in the hallway he saw her again.
In the summer of 2007 a woman was startled to see a young girl in her room when she came out of the shower. The thermostats in the rooms closest to the street are often inexplicably turned down from where the guests had set them. Located in the Lakes and White Mountains area of NH The 1875 Inn contains the Olive Branch Tavern and has 11 guest rooms. Rates range from $113-167, breakfast is not included, children 5 and under are free, the inn is a non-smoking area, and small pets only are allowed. The 1875 Inn is at 255 Main St., Tilton, NH 03276 (603) 286-7774.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
lilyelgato (10-30-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Alton: friendly ghost

My wife worked for Alton Family Medicine on Main St in Alton, first working for Dr. Merritt. When she first got hired, Dr. Merritt let her know that there was a ghost that resided upstairs in the building, and that she was affectionately called "Abigail".

My wife was skeptical, but she would often go to work around 530 in the morning, and be the last to leave at night. On several occasions, she would hear footsteps on the third floor. There was a lamp in one of the exam rooms that hadn't worked in years, having tried changing bulbs to no avail. She came to work one morning in the dark, and the light was on.

Now, I don't believe in the supernatural....however, we had to go down to the office one evening and I went in with her. As she worked at her desk for a short while, I sat in a chair in her office. To my surprise, we heard light footsteps upstairs on the third floor, about 8 or 10, and my wife simply said "no big deal, that's just Abigail".
Old 10-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #14
sluggo

I can tell you plenty of stories about ghostly hauntings and strange events but you have to see it to believe it... Try dinner at Lavinia`s fine dining in Center Harbor. On the second floor in the dining room on the left side of the house looking out towards the lake there is an entity that just doesn't want you there. Trust me if she wants you out she will let you know! There also is a colonial soldier that is in the kitchen area of the house that makes a presence. Couple of months ago there was video captured of a large can of olive oil being thrown across the kitchen when it was closed, ask the owner I am sure he will show it to you....
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo View Post
I can tell you plenty of stories about ghostly hauntings and strange events but you have to see it to believe it... Try dinner at Lavinia`s fine dining in Center Harbor. On the second floor in the dining room on the left side of the house looking out towards the lake there is an entity that just doesn't want you there. Trust me if she wants you out she will let you know! There also is a colonial soldier that is in the kitchen area of the house that makes a presence. Couple of months ago there was video captured of a large can of olive oil being thrown across the kitchen when it was closed, ask the owner I am sure he will show it to you....
I wasn't going to tell this story, Sluggo, but since you brought up Lavinia's I might as well.
When we renovated the building back in 1998/1999, we hired a lady artist to restore the floral wallpaper/mural in what was known as the presidents room.
She didn't want to be disturbed by all the contractors so she decided to work at night, some times staying until dawn.
She told me that on many occasions she was visited by the ghost of a man formally dressed in what appeared to be clothing from the 1700's. She said that he was usually just curious and wandered around the room as she was working. Other times he seemed angry and disturbed and the negative energy was so strong that she was genuinely fearful and left the building.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #16
sluggo

Funny you say that ! I was in there this year and something grabbed the back of my neck one night so hard I felt it for days. There definitely is a presence there. I don't live far from there and my house was built around the same time. When I restored my barn I had an old man with a full beard that would sit in a chair in the entry way to the barn and watch me. When I finished he smiled and I haven't seen him since. We have a woman dressed in the early 1800~s clothing that we see quite often though and she just putters around.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #17
Altonbayicefishingfool

Alton town hall from what I heard is no longer haunted,since they changed out the clock a few years ago the ghost disappeared... Not sure in the truth to that..

House up 140 in Alton, 2nd on the right is haunted. Friends of mine lived there and I have encountered several sightings there first hand. 2 Birthday cakes in the dining room ended up in a bedroom upstairs in the plastic trays they come in stacked on top of each other and nobody at the party moved them.... Really strange.

Former restaurant B MAE DENNYS Across from Patricks pub has a ghost.
Working in the kitchen one day and the radio changed volume all on its own several different times. Also a bartender heard a noise in the kitchen after closing, went upstairs and the floor was lined with potatoes, end to end all the way across the floor and down the hallway. Real creepy basement there, 5 foot ceilings and weird coves down there. I hated doing prep in the basement, felt like someone was always watching you!
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #18
lilyelgato

Default I've got to check out this hotel and that creepy pond!

I've got to check out this hotel and that creepy pond!
Old 10-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #19
lilyelgato

Quote:
I've been meaning to try Lavinia's so this is a great excuse. I heard about the restaurant all the way back in Colorado.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #20
lilyelgato

Quote:
Funny you say that ! I was in there this year and something grabbed the back of my neck one night so hard I felt it for days. There definitely is a presence there. I don't live far from there and my house was built around the same time. When I restored my barn I had an old man with a full beard that would sit in a chair in the entry way to the barn and watch me. When I finished he smiled and I haven't seen him since. We have a woman dressed in the early 1800~s clothing that we see quite often though and she just putters around.
FREAKY! If that woman were wearing sweats from Walmart, I'd say it was probably just my mom.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #21
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

....apparently there's a 'Witch Rest Area' on Rt. 93. Haunted by the ghosts of past "Port-o-Potties" no doubt!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (10-30-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #22
dpg

Is winter getting to you people already?????
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #23
sluggo

You kidding me winter hasn't even begun ! we still have to get through the madness of the turkey and the coming of Santa clause !
Old 11-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #24
Chickie

Default Too funny

Your post cracked me up, McDude. When I first read the original post, I envisioned a witch flying into the rest area on her broom.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote