Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
fresh h2o

Default New to Lake Thinking of a Slip

I am new to the lake and thinking of getting a slip. Are there any pro's and con's for which end of the lake. I live in northern MA.

Thanks for any help.
fresh h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
WinniTroll

Default Thar she blows!

Get a slip in Alton or Wolfeboro or any points between. That way after a nice day of boating, exploring the prevailing wind will gently push you home.
WinniTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Barney Bear

Fay's Boat Yard is just off Route 11 in Gilford, about 90 minutes from the MA border. It is at about the middle of the lake, north to south. We have been there since 1963.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
camp guy

Default Thinking of a slip

One question comes to mind: Where will you be staying when you are at the Lake? This may have a bearing on where you look for a slip, simply from the logistics standpoint.

In reality, the Lake isn't so big that you would be excluded from any area by where you slip your boat, it's just a whole lot easier to be close to your living area when you are done boating for the day/weekend/whatever.

Another reality check may be the actual availability of a slip for this season.

Good luck, and enjoy the Lake.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

While the 1976 Slickcraft has not been at Fay's as long as the Bear Buggy, I agree that Fay's is a good mid lake choice.

If you are new to the lake, you might want to first spend a little time exploring and learning the lake to see if you have a personal preference as to what is the best location for you.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Just Sold

Where in Northern MA are you? How big a boat do you have? These are important questions when looking for a slip.

Parkers in Alton is in a protected area but a bridge that has a listed clearance of 5'. West Alton Marina is also a great location but prices are a little higher from what I have heard. Laconia have a few options like Irwin, Pauguas Bay Marina Thurston's and Channel Marine but you do have to deal with the channel between Weirs and Paugus Bay which has lots of traffic.

Like others who have responded I am also at Fay's but in the rack building and find it to be a great option. I have a 23' Wellcraft bow rider. Call ahead and the boat is there in teh water waiting for you. Rack storage costs less and the boat is kept in a protected space out of the elements. Draw back is that you cannot access your boat 24 hours a day.

If you plan to be out on your boat all the time and at all hours than a slip is a better choice.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
jrc

What's most important to you?

Distance from your house, location on the lake, marina amenities, service, pets, cost, winter storage and marina culture

The Laconia area is closest to RT 93, but a Paugus bay slips mean a trip through the channel to access the lake. Spinnaker cove has a real nice club house and it close to some nice restuarants, but it's not cheap. Mountain View has Irwin Marine on site so service is handy. But they are not so pet friendly.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
HomeWood

Has anybody ever considered renting out the other half or side of their dock? We only use one side of our dock, since we have one boat.

Obviously there would have to be a contract or some kind of liability/damage/theft waiver and what not, but it could be a good way to make some extra cash.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
RLW

Smile

fresh h2o, I just noticed that you are fairly new to the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. As can be seen by all the responses before this, there are a lot of friends here that can help/lead you in the right direction. Hope you find what will suit your needs.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
Phantom

Just Sold raises all the questions I would have ......

Also for consideration is West Alton Marine ...

Saves the 1/2hr of boating down Alton Bay
Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
ThePlut

Default Depends on route

First, I would figure out how you are going to get to the lake, then find a slip in the nearest spot. On boating days, I don't mind driving the boat a little longer, to drive the car a little less.

We come up from Southern NH, closest route up north is 93. I've slipped in Alton Bay (at Parkers, and just on the other side of the bridge from Parkers) and in Meredith (rack storage one year, and now at Meredith Yacht Club).

IMHO, although Meredith is further away for us, it's more highway and takes almost exactly the same amount of time to get there from here as it did to get to Alton Bay. There are more amenities in Meredith (walking distance to more "stuff") so we hang around the slip longer in the evening for dinner and whatnot, whereas in Alton, we'd dock, get ice cream and head home. I don't have to fight for dock space at the town docks in Meredith, so that's another advantage.

Last few years there have been more than adequate slips available out there for rent, and with high gas prices, I bet the same will be true of this year so again, I would just figure out where the "shortest trip" to the lake is, and then find a slip near there. Or, decide where you want to be on the lake, and then find that slip...
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Traveling.

If traveling from the Spaulding turnpike Alton Bay is a great place to look for a slip. If you are traveling from I-93, then Meredith will be the place.

If you want to come up 106 to Laconia, I would recomend Glendale Marine for unexpensive valet docking. For a slip, Fay's will be good. If you have a trailer, you can ask Dave's Motorboat Shop if they have space for boat and trailer.

For weekend stays, West Alton Marina and Fay's come to my mind.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Mid Lake

I would look for a dock in the Gilford area. It is in the central area of the lake so boating to any area of the lake is within an easy ride. This is especially true if you go out at night in your boat. Taking a ride into Paugus Bay or Meredith for dinner is simple at night and a short easy ride.

I have never been a fan of Fays for the simple reason that it looks like such a dump. I would be embarassed to have my friends show up there and see where I keep my boat. I feel badly for the homeowners on Varney Point that have to drive by it to get to their homes.

If you are looking for a place with amenities like a beach and clean showers Mountain View Yacht Club in Gilford is really nice. The beach is great and if you have kids and the price of gas is a factor it is a good place to relax without taking your boat out.

Last edited by TiltonBB; 04-03-2012 at 09:05 PM.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
AkwaMarina (03-29-2012)