Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-25-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
Lakeprincess

Question How is Verizon Wireless these days?

Hello everyone ... we are just wondering how the Verizon wireless reception is... we will probably be renting on the south part of Bear island this summer and we're hoping the signal is OK for use with an aircard (no internet connection at the home).

A friend told me there was a new Verizon cell tower on one of the Belknap Mountains?

Any insight you have would be MOST appreciated, and thank you.
Lakeprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:52 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

There is very good 4G service on the West side of Welch and the Gilford/Laconia area in general. There is a tower on Mt Rowe in the Gunstock area however that tower is not new. The new tower on Belknap is not a cell tower, it is state owned.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:59 AM   #3
wifi

The most likely tower you would hit is the one behind McDonalds in Meredith. Been there for years, after the radio station left. There is a new-ish tower that Verizon is on behind A&B Lumber in Moultonboro, it covers (east) Center Harbor nicely, and would be a runner up for the tower behind McDonalds.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:45 PM   #4
rick35

I switched to AT&T three years ago because the Verizon connection was very slow at South Bear. I ran tests with Verizon and the tower I was connected to was off Meredith Center Road (per Verizon). It was too slow to use a hotspot to connect to work. I ran an ookla speedtest to Boston Comcast tonight and the download speed on my iphone was 5.2 Megabits with an upload speed of .9. I can't remember what the Verizon speeds were but they were much slower and barely fast enough to check email. 5.2 is fast enough to surf but painfully slow to try to work and load files.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #5
uschisk

Default Great on Mark!

That is interesting, because we have Verizon and are on Mark island. We have no problems with our phone service or the wireless internet. However, we have family members who have AT&T, and they have had no service on the island. We are almost directly across from camp Lawrence.
uschisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
rick35

If I was out 200 yds or so off the shore my Verizon service improved considerably. It probably has to do with obstructions.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:14 PM   #7
Lakeprincess

thanks for all the HELPFUL replies. We have a few work related things to do while visiting that may require more than a browsing level signal. Does anyone have a suggestion for a back up solution? Is there such a thing as temporary wire service? No landline in the home. And sorry to sound so dumb.
Lakeprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeprincess View Post
thanks for all the HELPFUL replies. We have a few work related things to do while visiting that may require more than a browsing level signal. Does anyone have a suggestion for a back up solution? Is there such a thing as temporary wire service? No landline in the home. And sorry to sound so dumb.
Not sure what you are asking.

There is internet phone service such as Ooma, Nettalk, etc. There is also Tracfone for cell calls. Tracfone does not own any cell towers. Tracfone rents space from Verizon, AT&T, etc. Here, on this side of lake Tracfone uses the Verizon network.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote