Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Waiting in Line to Dock

So..................What would you do?

We have all waited in line to take our turn to dock when it is busy. Whether it is Wolfeboro, Meredith, Alton or someplace else on the lake, sometimes there are no available slips.

I waited in Meredith for about 15 minutes today and I knew I was third in line for a spot. Some dope with about 6 people on board motored in and took a dock space that was just opening up, before the three of us could cut him off. I shouted to him that there were three boats waiting in front of him and he didn't seem to care. I got close to his boat and told him that most people boating on the lake were polite and I was sorry that he had no manners.

Any good ideas? What is the best solution you can think of?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
KonaChick

I too prefer to enlighten folks when they cut in the dock line but my husband isn't as "vocal" as I am. I have no trouble nicely telling people it wasn't there turn.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Chris Craft

I have seen guys cut boats loose Not in Winni but in other harbors. It always amazes me what people will do to their fellow human beings.
Chris Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
PC31

For me, waiting to dock is very stressful because a lot of people are extremely ignorant and motor right past the boats waiting their turn. I am not very "vocal" but really it aggravates me to no end. My wife has left notes before telling people they did not wait their turn. I have no solution but would like one.
________
FORD FALCON (ARGENTINA)

Last edited by PC31; 03-12-2011 at 02:13 PM.
PC31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
SIKSUKR

I think a little present of organic matter (millfoil or the like) left on the offending boats bow with a note explaining that the resident watchdog loon has noted your behavior and left the appropriate fine on your boat.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Jeti

Talking Boating Decorum

This is a hard question, many times it is hard for boats pulling up to know who is in line, with bigger docks like Naswar, next person in line could be at one end and the next spot opens up on the other end.. so a boat may grab.. With no line system, its eye contact and working with those in line.

Like my father always told me, " Rise above it, Son" If some knuckledragger, grabs a spot, why confront him.. Laugh it off, getting into a shouting match only make you look like the bagboy! If you get cut off in your car do you chase after them and pull road rage. No..

Bottom line is that one person worth the stress.. Most people have class and understanding!
Jeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
Phantom

For the most part -- I find the public docks to be fairly organized on the flow of boats and "who's next". Most boaters a quite courteious --- I say again MOST!!

To the Naswa comment, I agree -- Typically (week-ends) there are so many boats, spread over a wide area - it becomes almost impossible to keep track. That is perhaps the exception rather than the rule.

For those who watch the Forum for boating tips & advice -- as you approach a Town dock, make an assesment of which boats are hovering (that's the que) as you too are then "hovering" engage a boat or two to see if they know the line up. You'll also meet some new boater friends.

Another habit I tend to do is drop off the wife and/or kids at a dock end or in the lauching ramp 5 minute area. Then pull out and rejoin the que. It's amazing how many times I've avoided the Resturaunt wait and end up just in time to be seated!!!

Finally, one thing I tend to do if I'm not late or rushed is give up (yes you heard it) my slot in line if an obvious spot opens up that a larger cruiser could more easily use than I, typicaly an end slot -- I'm a 24' bowrider and can squeeze in some seemily impossible spots. And I figure there is nothing wrong with "paying forward" -- I've had numerous cruisers pass on inside openings that were obviously a little too tricky for their liking.

It's all about common sense and boating Courtesy -- and there will always be idiots-- wether parking a car at the Mall or boat at the docks
Old 05-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #8
jrc

We have had our share of people cutting the line and my wife usually tells them what she thinks. I've tried to get her to rise above, but it doesn't seem to work. Now with a larger boat I wish more people were like Phatom but they don't seem to be around all the time.

I've given up on going to Wolfeboro during the summer weekends. I can't always fit to get the inside docks and if I take an end, I block the insiders. I used to like the dock on the end but now it's handicapped. So I go to other towns.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #9
Bear Islander

Almost every time I go to Wolfeboro there are boats waiting. However there are always slips available close to shore.

I pause, then go past the waiting boats to tie up. I believe some boaters can't judge the space available or they are afraid to traverse the narrow lane between boats.

I never have to wait for a spot at Wolfeboro, but I do not think I am cutting the line when I take a spot that others can't see or are afraid to use.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #10
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Almost every time I go to Wolfeboro there are boats waiting. However there are always slips available close to shore.

I pause, then go past the waiting boats to tie up. I believe some boaters can't judge the space available or they are afraid to traverse the narrow lane between boats.

I never have to wait for a spot at Wolfeboro, but I do not think I am cutting the line when I take a spot that others can't see or are afraid to use.
I agree with you to a point. I usually make eye contact and point to said spot and if the person declines then I have no qualms about taking the spot. If the other boater doesn't see it I think it is kind of rude to just take it.

I have experienced it from the other side and it is infuriating when someone just blasts in and cuts the line. Just breathe and count to 10. Cutting a boat loose is not the answer as you would end up being liable and would have to answer to the MP.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #11
chipj29

Can I beach my jet ski on the sand behind the docks at the Weirs?
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:20 AM   #12
PC31

Quote:

If others can't see the spot maybe you should ask if they want it otherwise you are cutting the line.

Last edited by PC31; 03-12-2011 at 02:13 PM.
PC31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:44 AM   #13
SIKSUKR

Quote:

What? You don't just go and take an open spot cuz you think others can't see it or don't want to take it. You ask the ones waiting in line first. Wow.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #14
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
What?You don't just go and take an open spot cuz you think others can't see it or don't want to take it.You ask the ones waiting in line first.Wow.
I agree!

To cut the waiting line without asking is irresponsible boating and just plain rude behavior. You cannot assume anything. You have to ask.

If the people in line do not feel that they have the docking skills to use a tight inside position, they will always tell you to go ahead. That is the fair way to go about it.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #15
Bear Islander

I wait a minute or two to see if anybody wants to take the inner spaces. If a boat is neaby the space I will ask.

I'm not going to go up and down the line to ask 5 or 6 boats if they want a space that is in plain site. If they wanted it, why didn't they take it? Waiting and making no move, indicates they don't want it.

Its not my fault I am better at parking a boat than they are. And its not my responsibility to find them a space and talk them into using it.

I have stood on the docks in Wolfeboro and tried to wave in boats to spaces near the shore. There is almost always a space there. And you can tie up parallel to the shore. Most of the time they will not come in. There are timid people that want a space near the end.

Last edited by Bear Islander; 05-28-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #16
Island Lover

I am not confident in my ability to maneuver between a double line of boats. It usually means boat hooks and high blood pressure. Like a driving test with everybody watching. I will wait for an easy space.

You can embarrass people by asking.
Island Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #17
jrc

Sometimes getting in is not the problem it's getting out. Usually that means backwards. Some single engine boats don't behave well in reverse. Plus you might get blocked in. I don't think anyone should be embarassed by their low speed docking skills. It's harder than it looks.

I do get upset when people try something they can't do but don't use the proper care. If you get in a pickle slow down and ask for help. Most people will help you. Most boaters would rather fend you off, than watch you scratch their boat or worse.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #18
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Lover View Post
I am not confident in my ability to maneuver between a double line of boats. It usually means boat hooks and high blood pressure. Like a driving test with everybody watching. I will wait for an easy space.

Yes, heaven forbid one of us embarrass anyone by trying to be courteous.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #19
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
I agree with you to a point. I usually make eye contact and point to said spot and if the person declines then I have no qualms about taking the spot. If the other boater doesn't see it I think it is kind of rude to just take it.

I have experienced it from the other side and it is infuriating when someone just blasts in and cuts the line. Just breathe and count to 10. Cutting a boat loose is not the answer as you would end up being liable and would have to answer to the MP.
Sorry, BI, but I have to agree with hazelnut on this one. I understand the point you made about not wanting to check with 5 or 6 boats but it did initially sound like you weren't checking with any of the boaters waiting ahead of you.

Quote:

Island Lover, I'm with you on the stress of manuveuring between 2 lines of docked boats. I will admit that, even though I'm pretty good at deciding where my boat will fit and where it won't, I'm not fond of backing OUT between boats tied to the docks in Wolfeboro. Heading in isn't a problem; backing out IS! I haven't quite mastered the fine art of backing out in a straight line between boats and the thought of bumping one of them stresses me out to no end.

In my opinion, the best public docks are in Meredith (wide open!) and Alton Bay (no need to manuveur between boats).
Old 05-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #20
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default it does depend on the size of the boats waiting

I find it is common that some people wait for a spot that will fit there boat. I have been to the wolfeboro docks and there was a waiting line. But usually a quick wave to boats waiting and a point to the intended spot and a go for it yelled back seems to work well.

Backing out of a spot between a line of boats with a single engine causes a problem due to the torque of propeller pushing you to one side or the other.
One way to correct it is to backup some distance and then put it in forward again and correct the offset caused by the backup.
Its always good to have some crew on the bow and stern to fend off in case a wave or wind action causes a greater drift then expected. If you are alone putting out a few bumpers is a good precaution.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #21
KonaChick

Quote:

And here I thought it was only the speed limit thread that you and BI made "interesting".
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #22
jonfinn

I've seen these kinds of behaviors on Winnipesaukee too. Because I consider myself more on the "beginner" end of the spectrum, I tend to hold my tongue if I see something that upsets me. Occasionally, it's because they were right and I didn't understand what they were doing.

My goal when I come up is to relax, enjoy the water, make some new friends, and connect with my family in ways that are often impossible in my normally crazy life.

If I encounter an inconsiderate or ignorant boater, I'm usually tempted to get upset and scheme for revenge. But if I do that, I'm achieving the opposite of why I came up in the first place... because SOMEONE ELSE is inconsiderate. In the end, I just try to forget about it.

If I saw that same boater stranded somewhere in the broads, I'd still try and help them if it's appropriate. But I might not hurry.
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:09 PM   #23
Rattlesnake Guy

Our public dock score card.

Weirs: Looks like a lot but they are to close together so not practical to park more than one per dock.

Meridith: Docks so far apart, they limit how many boats they can accommodate.

Alton: One row makes for easy docking but little capacity.

Wolf: Actually our favorite. Docks spaced just right so all the spaces can be used and accommodates the most boats for the area. (Except for the blue spaces which are still just dumb)
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #24
ghfromaltonbay

Default "Manual" reverse at the dock

My good friend had a Century Resorter (inboard) which was miserable to back up. When we would dock in Center Harbor or Wolfeboro, we would pull in straight and then get onto the dock and as he said do a "manual" reverse. We'd swing the boat around by the lines and tie up heading out. We never had to back out of a close-in spot, and saved a lot of grief trying to back out and use a boat hook to keep from hitting others on the way out.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:51 PM   #25
Gatto Nero

I think I actually have to agree with BI on this one. I will always look around and sum up the situation, but if I can plainly see an open slip close to shore and 5 or 6 sitting boats not doing anything about it I would assume that they are not interested and start towards it. Maybe I would ask, or at least make eye contact with, whoever is closest but I'm not going to flag down every other boat that was there before me and ask their permission. Now, if it just became available as I arrived then it's a different story. Then I would go through the normal process to make sure nobody else is interested first.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #26
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
Now, if it just became available as I arrived then it's a different story. Then I would go through the normal process to make sure nobody else is interested first.

Gatto -- I agree hole heartedly -- and I think that perhaps (quoted above) this is the part that BI left out -- for I too follow the same practice you described so eloquently !!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #27
2Blackdogs

What's the problem with using the back docks in Wolfeboro? THere's a space every time, and it's no further a stroll to the stores.
2Blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #28
jrc

The bridge between the lake and the back docks is pretty low. A lot of boats won't fit. I'm guessing your talking about the back bay docks, not just the docks near the back of the main public docks.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #29
alsadad

Talking NH Legislature springs into action

The New Hampshire House announced it is considering three proposals to address growing problems related to overcrowding and unruly behavior at public docks on Lake Winnipesaukee. Two recent events triggered this effort:

1. Reports on the website winnipesaukee.com of an increase in incidents of impolite, discourteous and lawless behavior as some boaters “cut the line” while others are forced to wait for slips to become available at various town docks around the lake.

2. The completion by members of winnipesaukee.com of an in-depth analysis and extrapolation of the results of NHMP’s speed sampling on the big lake. Lawmakers were reportedly alarmed to learn that there are now 770,000 powerboats, hundreds of sailboats and canoes, and one sea kayak using the lake and competing for space at the town docks.

The first proposal, from a group known as WinnBIG (which stands for Winnipesaukee Boaters In GFBLs), would like to see the lake’s shoreline taken by eminent domain with docks constructed around the entire perimeter. In addition, a bar would be built every 1000 yards along the waterfront and a gas dock placed every 500 yards so the GFBLs can travel from one bar to the other without running out of fuel. This group’s motto is “Make every hour happy hour.”

The second proposal comes from a group known as WinnBAGS (which stands for Winnipesaukee Boaters Against Gratuitous Slips). This group wants all docks to be removed from the lake. The only allowable vessels would be canoes, kayaks, and other boats that can be hand-carried from the lake, as well as amphibious cars which do not need docks. The group’s leader, a carnival fortune teller from Omaha, predicts a boom in the market for amphibious cars because they are slow, quiet, and available in pretty colors. This group’s motto is “End unlimited docking.”

The final proposal, sponsored by a group known as WinnCRAPS (which stands for…well, never mind) is the one most favored by the House for its revenue raising possibilities. This proposal calls for bulldozing Rattlesnake Island, constructing docks all around the island’s shoreline, and erecting casinos. This group’s motto is “Anyplace that boasts at least 770,000 people who have more money than brains, ought to have a casino.”

The Speaker of the House said that no action will be taken on these proposals until the completion of an unbiased study funded by the New Hampshire Gaming Industry.
alsadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #30
wifi

Nice one...... LOL
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:11 AM   #31
Gatto Nero

I'll take proposal #3 please, Monty
Old 05-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #32
Woodsy

Thats HILARIOUS!!!!

Woodsy
Old 05-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #33
Resident 2B

Thumbs up Post of the Year

Alsadad,

Great creativity!

You have my vote for Post-of-the-Year!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #34
Dave R

Good stuff
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #35
SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Craft View Post
I have seen guys cut boats loose Not in Winni but in other harbors. It always amazes me what people will do to their fellow human beings.
Check this out: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...0/270-26-a.htm
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:05 AM   #36
Chris Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
Try tying your boat up to the town docks in Gloucester, MA. I have had the fisherman who think that they own the dock untie me there once. The building that I was tied up to at the time (Gloucester House) caught on fire. The fire dept. let me go through to get my boat from the side of the building but none of the people that were with me. I went over to the public docks and found my friends in the crowd, came back and the boat was untied and some fishermen were on their boats laughing. Lucky for me the wind was blowing at the docks so the boat did not move. It does happen. I have seen it in a few other places as well but not to me. Amazing that at places like Lake of the Ozarks they can get hundreds of boats onto docks and tie ups but in the NE we seem to only be able to get one boat per dock......
Chris Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:02 AM   #37
Cristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Can I beach my jet ski on the sand behind the docks at the Weirs?

I believe you can beach your jet ski behind the Weirs docks. I have never done it because the waves that roll in are usually big, and I think they would push the watercraft around too much. I usually tie mine up behind the docks near the shallow water spots.
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #38
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen View Post
I believe you can beach your jet ski behind the Weirs docks. I have never done it because the waves that roll in are usually big, and I think they would push the watercraft around too much. I usually tie mine up behind the docks near the shallow water spots.
Thanks Cristen. That is where I usually tie up anyway, will stay with that practice since it works.