Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #1
donnamatrix

Default Boating Safety Inspections & Education

The Lakes Region Sail & Power Squadron (LRSPS) will be providing free safety inspections of boats on June 28th from 8am to 12pm at the public docks in Alton, Wolfeboro, Weirs Beach, Meredith and Winnisquam Marine. This is a free inspection of a vessel’s equipment for compliance with federal, state and local safety requirements. There is no penalty if your boat does not pass (you just won’t receive a sticker!) It takes about 20 per boat. There are many insurance companies that provide discounts to folks who have a boating safety sticker. All inspectors will be wearing LRSPS red shirts. Also, throughout the summer LRSPS will be conducting "Boat Smart" boating safety courses throughout the region. New Hampshire now requires that you have a certificate on your boat (with your registration) proving you have successfully completed a boating course. The next courses are May 24, June 21 and July 12 at Channel Marine. There will also be a course at the Suissevale clubhouse on May 17. Visit the website http://www.lrsps.org/ for more information!
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
AC2717

Default What Safety Sticker?

Ok, now so how do I get this certificate that says course passed for my boat, I have my boaters certificate from two years ago which does not run out and I have my 08 registration already and I did not received this "sticker" that says I have a certificate,

If you ask me that is foolish because if MP is looking for that who's to say someone that is not certified is not driving someone's boat that is.

This extra "sticker" thing is a wast of money time and resources if it is true. In a tough economy that we are in now and those of us fortunate to help fuel the economy with boating through fees taxes and gas they are really making us jump through hoops, you think they would lighten up a little to give people some room to enjoy spending money
Old 04-29-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
Airwaves

Default It's a good idea to get a Vessel Safety Check!

AC2717 I think you misunderstood Donnamatrix's post.

This is a completely voluntary safety check and it has nothing to do with boat registration or the safe boating certificate required by NH.

The Vessel Safety Check sticker she is talking about is placed on a vessel after a free safety examination of the equipment on your boat. You get the sticker provided your boat meets the safety requirements. It is awarded by the Power Squadron and the Coast Guard Auxiliary

You can click HERE to see what the member of the Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary will go over with you on your boat so that you can get the sticker.

It's a really good idea to get this done every year since there is wear and tear on your boat that you might miss.

I know the last time I did one of these at Lakeport Landing a number of years ago I found a gas line that had somehow worked its way next to a belt pulley and occasionally touched. The gas line had nearly been worn through. If the owner hadn't asked for the safety check he would have been underway when the gas line ruptured and sprayed gasoline onto a hot engine.

The people doing the safety checks are trained in what to look for. Whether your boat passes or fails, NO REPORT GOES TO ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY!!! Not the Marine Patrol, not the Coast Guard, not Fish and Game, no one but you!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
donnamatrix

Default Whaat?

AC2717: I have no idea what you're referring to. No clue.
Airwaves: you are correct. This is a free inspection of equipment related to the boat's safety equipment and proper documentation. The Power Squadron does not report those who fail inspections to any authority or governing body. However, if you have one of our stickers and are stopped by the Marine Patrol, they will know that you are operating a boat with appropriate safety devices-including life jackets which now have a new age group requirement-Additionally, many insurance companies offer discounts to those who can prove they have passed one of our inspections: I know that BoatUS insurance coverage provides a small discount.

Anyone interested can visit the Power Squadron website at www.lrsps.org to get more information about safety inspections, safe boating courses, etc.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
Misty Blue

Default Good education:

Donnam...
You are so right! Vessel safety checks by the USPS or CG Auxiliary are a great idea! They are much more involved (but don't take too long) than the NHMP inspections. For example: The NHMP (my pals by the way) will make sure that you comply with the minimum requirements of the law but how about this????

Is your battery in a safe condition?

Do you have automotive parts (distributor, alternator, starter) on your engine? These cause fires.

Is your stove safe and your head compliant?

Bottom line, a vessel safety check by these CIVILIANS is a fun and informative twenty minutes.

Both the CG and the PS do an awsome job.

Now to the USPS education classes. These guys and gals have been teaching this stuff since Moby Dick was a minnow. If you have taken the NHMP class and you are are serious about your boating skills I would suggest that you contact the USPS or the USCG Auiliary to see what else you can learn from these other sources. Trust me you won't be wasting your time.

PS. Hey, I thought that Swissville was my gig!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
Dave M

Default Other places?

What happened to the northern part of the Lake, Center Harbor, Tuftonborogh,etc. Seems a long way to travel from Moultonborough to get a sticker and the lines you may run into at the other places listed.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
lakers

Default other safety sticker benefits

I took the boat over to the Marine Patrol station in Glendale last year ...a nice officer came out and did the inspection..NOW..my question is....would Marine Patrol be less likely to hassle you if you are sporting a safety sticker?
lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
Airwaves

Quote:
Originally posted by laker
I took the boat over to the Marine Patrol station in Glendale last year ...a nice officer came out and did the inspection..NOW..my question is....would Marine Patrol be less likely to hassle you if you are sporting a safety sticker?
I think if I were writing their website material I would throw a few "may" and "probablies" into the following statement, but this is from the LRSPS website;
Quote:
Busy Marine Patrol Officers save time and effort by looking for VSC stickers while doing routine safety stops. If they spot one on your boat, they'll know you are very likely to be in compliance with the regulations they enforce, and will look elsewhere.
I know that when I was doing these inspections I was told to make sure the boater knows that there is no guarantee that the boater won't be stopped by the Marine Patrol. Obviously if the Marine Patrol observes you doing something illegal or questionable this decal won't prevent a boarding, but like the statement says, on a busy weekend they are "likely" to target a boat without a current Vessel Safety Check sticker than a boat that has one.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
NHskier

Default Thanks LRSPS

Just a note to say thanks to the Lakes Region Sail & Power Squadron folks conducting today's safety checks. We had ours done at the Weirs docks and appreciate the information and tips provided, along with (of course) the safety validation itself.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
NightWing

The presence of an inspection sticker, regardless if issued by the Power Squadron or NHMP will not prevent a boat stop if the stop is warranted.

Your boat could have all the required gear at the moment of inspection and basically, that is what the sticker says. Your boat was good to go when inspected. The next day, you could leave the PFDs or the fire extinguisher on the wall of the garage or in the back of the tow vehicle left at the launch area.

Another misconception is that if you have a sticker, MP will not require another inspection at the time of a stop. MP will not stop a boat to inspect, but every boat stopped will be inspected.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #11
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
.... MP will not stop a boat to inspect, but every boat stopped will be inspected.
I guess that depends on your definition of "stop" a boat. I was only stopped once in recent memory, he asked a few questions and left. No inspection.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts

I gladly allowed the LRSPS inspect and validate my boat on Saturday at the Weirs docks. The gentlemen doing the inspection was pleasant, helpful, and offered some good tips.

This is a great service that is done free of charge. If they help one single person / boat have a safer boating experience, it makes it all worth it!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 06-29-2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #13
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I guess that depends on your definition of "stop" a boat. I was only stopped once in recent memory, he asked a few questions and left. No inspection.
That has been my experience as well.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote