Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default Lowrance GPS / Fish Finder

I recently purchased a boat that is coming equipped with a Lowrance M68-C Fish finder / GPS. Is anyone here familiar with the mapping software supplied with this unit?? Is it any good for use on Winni??

I would really only need it at night as 40 years on the lake has me quite familiar with it, and I prefer charts for day time use anyway.

I realize the Bizer mapping files are the way to go, but they don't work with this particular unit. This unit came with the boat for free and I thought I would check it out first. If worse comes to worse, I suppose I could just use the fish finder portion of this unit and purchase a seperate Garmin or Bizer friendly chart plotter.

I was just curious if any of you are familiar with this unit and how the mapping software would work on winnipesaukee.

Thanks!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
kchace

Hi Dan - that unit won't have maps for Winni. At the most, it will have a very rudimentary map that will not be suitable for navigation at all. It will however be able to keep 'trails' of wherever you go on Wiini and those could be used via the 'track back' function to help you get around in the dark.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Hi Dan - that unit won't have maps for Winni. At the most, it will have a very rudimentary map that will not be suitable for navigation at all. It will however be able to keep 'trails' of wherever you go on Wiini and those could be used via the 'track back' function to help you get around in the dark.

Ken

Thanks Ken!

Kinda what I thought...I think I will just use the Lowrance as a fish finder and purchase a Bizer friendly chart plotter for navigating.

Thanks again!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote