Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
Ken B

Default Boat battery

The battery in my 20 ft Monterey is dead. Any suggestions on a replacement?

Ken
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
robmac

KB,which ever battery you purchase I would recommend a good quality one.Failure out on the water can get expensive.Last summer several boats moored at Braun Bay failed to start luckily one boater had a jump pack.I replaced mine this year with an AC Delco.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Exclamation Boat Batteries

They are not cheap. I buy when they are on sale. Even if I don't need one at the moment. I use a battery maintainer during the winter. After a few years, a battery needs to be 'recycled'. I have a battery charger with a 'recycle' feature. It is important that you maintain the battery lectrolyte level with distilled water. I currently have two Champion dual mode marine batteries, I have bought in 2000. They serve me well last summer. The boat is in the water with the same batteries. Hopefully I will get another summer out of them.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
ITD

Ken,

Are you sure it's dead, I would try a recharge and a load test before getting a new one.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
fatlazyless

It seems like batteries have nine lives. Just when you think its dead, it can take a recharge. Left the ac delco in the boat, in the driveway, all winter, with no-nuth'n for winterization-preparation-maintenance and it still works good w/ my outboard. Always been use'n lake water in de battery because its a marine battery.How'd dat happ'n duh? Must be dumb luck?

Does Wal-Mart sell boat batteries?
Old 05-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
Airwaves

I find that Sam's Club has pretty good prices for Marine batterys and carries name brands. (Sam's prices are certainly much better than prices at the marina!)
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
NightWing

If you have only one battery, buy a marine starting battery. If you have two batteries, you need a starting battery and a deep cycle battery.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
Misty Blue

Default Neverstart batteries...

Good post, Ken. I'll bet there a lot of folks asking the same question.

I'm not a marine mechanic, but I work with them and am a good listner. Here is my $0.02.

What is a Marine battery? A marine battery is like an automotive battery, except at twice the price. Kind of like marine alternators and spark plugs! There is a reason for this. Marine batteries are built tougher than auto ones. The plates are more strong and better mounted to the cell to protect them from the pounding that boats do and cars do not.

If it's going into a boat, get a marine battery.

That said there are two general types of marine batteries: Starting and Deep Cycle.

Starting marine batteries are built strong and deliver many Cold Cranking Amps (CCA). That's the Umph to spin your engine for a start. They are not made to be run down by being used without the engine to power lights, radios or that stupid 12 volt coffee pot that you got for Father's Day.

They will drain fast and it may damage the battery.

Deep Cycle batteries are made to start the engine ( not as good as a starting battery) but also supply DC power to the boat when the engine is off.

They are rated in CCA and amp/hours. That is the # of amps that you are using times the hours that you are using it. Say you are looking at a batt. with a 200 amp hour rating. You can plug in a 20 amp load for 10 hours or a 10 amp load for 20 hours and still get the rated CCW.

They are also less damaged by being run low or even flat due to over use.

Quality: Neverstart? That's what the mechanics call WallMart batteries. I don't know about Sam's. The point is that a quality marine battery, Delco,
Trojan, Interstate, etc. will cost you about twice the price of an el-cheapo, last you three times as long and be dependable.

IMHO go to your marina and talk to the mechanic. He will advise you on the best battery for your needs. Then pry open your pocket (yes I know that it hurts) and save yourself some money in the long run.

Good Luck!

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote