Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
snowman

Default Lake Winni Yacht Clubs

I'm looking at purchasing a boat slip. Any recommendations on specific Yacht clubs. One Yacht club that I'm interested in is Bayside Yacht Club in Meredith.

Additionally, what should I be looking for when buying a slip (besides the obvious length and width)

Thanks in advance for any advice
snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:15 AM   #2
ericnh

Default Some considerations

I was going to buy a slip last year but ended up with a place that included one. When I researched them, I decided on Meredith Yacht Club because of the sunny location, great views, clean appearance, club amenities, protected docks (important if you want to sleep on your boat) and a short walk to town and stores. The only challenge is getting a slip that will match your boat size.
ericnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #3
pjard

Do you live up here? If so which town. If you come up for weekends etc...from where?
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
ThePlut

Default Myc

I've been a renter at Meredith Yacht Club for the last 6 years and I can tell you it is a wonderful place to keep your boat. The amenities of the club are enough by itself, but it's proximity to even more in Meredith proper makes it outstanding.

The owner of the slip that I rent from is, unfortunately for me, trying to sell it as we speak. So I'm looking for a new slip to rent, but I could certainly recommend the spot. He's got an ad in the classified of this forum for a 29' by 9.5' slip. Great guy too.

Can PM me for more info if you can't find it.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePlut For This Useful Post:
Prestige Worldwide (03-25-2017)
Old 07-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #5
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
Do you live up here? If so which town. If you come up for weekends etc...from where?
How does any of that affect the answer to the question?
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Reilly (07-24-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
If I lived here, I would like to be close to home. If I didn't, I would like to be the closest to home I could be.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (07-23-2016), KPW (07-26-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #7
Loub52

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a boat slip. Any recommendations on specific Yacht clubs. One Yacht club that I'm interested in is Bayside Yacht Club in Meredith.

Additionally, what should I be looking for when buying a slip (besides the obvious length and width)

Thanks in advance for any advice
Dimensions to fit your boat is an obvious criteria followed by slip depth as the lake draws down to a accommodate your draft, shelter from wind and wake, location and your neighbors will be key considerations from my perspective.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:09 AM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

"Do you live up here? If so which town. If you come up for weekends etc...from where?"

Good Question

Quote:
If the OP commutes to the lake from the south the location of the slip he purchases would be important. For example, it would be a much longer ride to the northern part of the lake than to Gilford.

If the OP has a home in the area he may not be that interested in finding a yacht club with great showers and a nice bath house with laundry machines because he would never use them.

Asking for more information about the intentions of the person looking for a slip will help to give him the best answer and that type of informative answers is what many people look to the forum for.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (07-24-2016), pjard (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 06:24 AM   #9
pjard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
"Do you live up here? If so which town. If you come up for weekends etc...from where?"

Good Question

If the OP commutes to the lake from the south the location of the slip he purchases would be important. For example, it would be a much longer ride to the northern part of the lake than to Gilford.

If the OP has a home in the area he may not be that interested in finding a yacht club with great showers and a nice bath house with laundry machines because he would never use them.

Asking for more information about the intentions of the person looking for a slip will help to give him the best answer and that type of informative answers is what many people look to the forum for.
That's exactly why I asked the question...my gosh people on this forum are grumpy. Thank you...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pjard For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (07-24-2016), gillygirl (07-24-2016), thinkxingu (07-24-2016), trfour (07-24-2016), Winnisquamer (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #10
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

Good Question

Whether the OP lives here or not is irrelevant. They are looking to purchase a boat slip.

If they only come up on weekends is irrelevant. They are looking to purchase a boat slip which will house their boat 7 days a week.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #11
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Whether the OP lives here or not is irrelevant. They are looking to purchase a boat slip.

If they only come up on weekends is irrelevant. They are looking to purchase a boat slip which will house their boat 7 days a week.
Really?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (07-24-2016), pjard (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #12
TiltonBB

Quote:

I will respectfully disagree.

How and when they intend to use the boat slip makes a big difference.

Where they live makes a difference for the commute and ability to enjoy the slip. People who live here and still work may want a facility that they can enjoy after work.

A person who lives here may purchase a boat slip with no facilities because they can just go home for showers, laundry Etc.

A person who has an island home may have entirely different needs.

Most people purchasing a boat slip will consider the commute and the facility as well as what the club has to offer and whether it meets their needs and the needs of their family.

Thinking of a boat slip as only a place to store your boat 7 days a week is not a way of thinking that most people would entertain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
pjard (07-24-2016), thinkxingu (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #13
pjard

Quote:

Have you ever tried to make a right turn at 25 & 3 in Meredith on a Friday afternoon? Have you ever driven through Weirs Beach on Bike Week? Have you ever tried to come through Alton Bay on the Friday before any Monday holiday. Sorry, Snowman I side tracked your question but you can't cure stupid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjard For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (07-25-2016), TiltonBB (07-24-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 05:24 AM   #14
snowman

Thanks for all the insight!

Would anyone have any concerns purchasing a slip next to (literally on the dock that I would tie to) the gas dock and pump out?
snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:49 AM   #15
Winnisquamer

I would be concerned, Do you want to be in a constant in and out boat traffic jam?
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:16 AM   #16
Rich

When using a pump out, there usually are certain smells that accompany the process.

Do you have a sensitive nose?
Old 07-25-2016, 06:45 AM   #17
Loub52

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Thanks for all the insight!

Would anyone have any concerns purchasing a slip next to (literally on the dock that I would tie to) the gas dock and pump out?
While your hull will get dirty being in the water for the season, being right next to the fuel dock and pumpout location, your hull will get even dirtier due to fuel spills, etc. Also, being right next to the fuel dock will likely see your boat getting tossed around quite a bit more due to frequent boat traffic.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #18
TiltonBB

If you are real close to the gas dock and the pump out area you should see what exposure your boat will have.

If you spend much time watching people dock you will notice that skill levels vary widely. At a busy gas dock there may be many boats coming and going and when mistakes happen you would hate to have them bouncing off of your boat.

If you are the type who enjoys sitting on your boat at the dock I can think of a lot better places to be than watching boats get pumped out. Also, I have seen people think that because the gas pumps are closed it is OK to use the gas dock like it is a public dock so you might see a lot of strangers docking there.

I think there are better choices.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:45 PM   #19
georgefelt

Default BSYC Meredith

I went through a similar search a year ago and ended up buying a slip at Bay Shore Yacht Club in Meredith. So far the cons are tight parking on big summer weekends (but this is true everywhere, so live with it), occasional rock and roll from wakes thrown by big boat scofflaws. Pros: great value, easy access to excellent marina service and storage, and walking distance to all the good stuff in Meredith. Slip owners are friendly and the association is well run by financially responsible people (it is a condo association). Some slips are shallow so think ahead to low levels. Some slips are "tight" so consider your docking skills. Bottom line for me: I love it and would do it again in a heartbeat. Your milage may vary... Check minutes from last owners meeting before you commit, and do not buy the slip next to the gas dock unless you really need deep water with easy access (e.g., fixed keel on a big sailboat) for all the reasons listed by other posters. Location in Meredith was a key positive factor for me. Good luck!
georgefelt is offline   Reply With Quote