Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
GM doc

Default Bald Eagle feathers

Is it "legal" to have Bald eagle feathers? I saw one drop a few and went and picked them up. Kinda like having deer antlers, That is a cut and dry question. (They MUST have a "tag" from whom ever killed it.
GM doc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GM doc For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (08-11-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Altonbayicefishingfool

Anyone who possesses an eagle feather could face fines up to $100,000 and a year in prison. A second offense is upgraded from a misdemeanor to a felony, and carries a maximum penalty of two years in prison and a $250,000 fine. The act also provides for a civil penalty of up to $5,000.
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Kamper

No. Unless you are a practitioner of an "Indian" religion" you need a permit to posess these materials. You risk prosecution even if you picked it up from the ground. I doubt a jury would convict you in that circumstance but you would still risk a lot of hassle.

The law is the same for other wild bird materials so it's best to leave it alone.

White turkey feathers can be made up to look like eagle feathers and that's what they use for movies and TV. Sometimes you can get them already made up at tourist traps or you could check with a turky farm to get your own.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
RailroadJoe

I have Indian blood in my genealogy from about 10 generations ago. Does that mean I can have the eagle feathers? I don't practice any Indian dances.
Seems like another stupid law if you found them. How about the deer antlers, maybe you shot a deer with no license and removed the antlers.
Someday common sense will return to our legal system.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
Someday common sense will return to our legal system.
I agree the law goes too far sometimes. I've heard of more than one person being threatened with a ticket for collecting egg shell fragments from non-endangerred song-birds. The probable rationale is that it takes away an apparently legitimate cover from those who engage in illegal trade in wild-life products.

That's all I think I know about that.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM doc View Post
Is it "legal" to have Bald eagle feathers? I saw one drop a few and went and picked them up. Kinda like having deer antlers, That is a cut and dry question. (They MUST have a "tag" from whom ever killed it.
It sounds like it is illegal. Obviously, the law was enacted to crackdown on trafficing in wild animals, parts, etc. However, if you found a couple of feathers in your travels I wouldn't be in a rush to throw them away. Just use common sense and things will be fine.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
jrc

Quote:
I have Indian blood in my genealogy from about 10 generations ago. Does that mean I can have the eagle feathers?...
Are you related to Elizabeth Warren? If you need turkey feathers, my yard is full of them.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
DRH (08-16-2012), secondcurve (08-05-2012), wolfegirl (08-17-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
RailroadJoe

Don't know any Elizabeth Warren. Thanks anyway.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Don't know any Elizabeth Warren. Thanks anyway.
The politician from Mass. who said she was an Indian descendent because her cheekbones were high.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Yeah it is one of those things. Like when people are arrested in their own house and they find you have more than one gun. Even if your arrest was for something like too many speeding tickets, suddenly you are a heavily armed gun loving militia person on the news.
So you find a couple Eagle feathers in the woods and bring them home. Suddenly your neighbor finds out. Calls fish and game, they come to arrest you for being a Protected bird poacher and then they find you have guns and suddenly your in the news as a domestic terrorist hell bent on killing eagles with your arsenal of semi automatic weapons and RPGs. Don't matter if you have 50 Bibles in your house...No one will hear about that.

So I'd get rid of those feathers post haste. Don't tell anyone about them, Just stick them in a fire and get rid of the evidence. Don't give them to a Cop or fish and game guy either. Soon as they know you have them, you are a criminal, and they will make sure the world knows about it. Meanwhile they can't find the murderers in this State but they will find you for having a couple of ground found Eagle feathers.....Oh yeah they will.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
GM doc (08-06-2012), GsChinadoll (08-14-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
GM doc

Default There gone! NOW

Another question, I THOUGHT deer antlers were confusing now this,
What about a "sheded" (if thats a word) Antler.......I have asked F&G on line with email, but I am getting some sort of "We don't know". Like if an antler "Trap" is legal. ( That falls into "baiting" laws.) F&G has......Get this.................NO IDEA!.
So yup, lets make some MORE laws about STUPID Stuff Has Individuals Thinking!
GM doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
Tagdot

(a) Prohibited acts; criminal penalties
Whoever, within the United States or any place subject to the jurisdiction thereof, without being permitted to do so as provided in this subchapter, shall knowingly, or with wanton disregard for the consequences of his act take, possess, sell, purchase, barter, offer to sell, purchase or barter, transport, export or import, at any time or in any manner any bald eagle commonly known as the American eagle or any golden eagle, alive or dead, or any part, nest, or egg thereof of the foregoing eagles, or whoever violates any permit or regulation issued pursuant to this subchapter, shall be fined not more than $5,000 or imprisoned not more than one year or both: Provided, That in the case of a second or subsequent conviction for a violation of this section committed after October 23, 1972, such person shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both: Provided further, That the commission of each taking or other act prohibited by this section with respect to a bald or golden eagle shall constitute a separate violation of this section: Provided further, That one-half of any such fine, but not to exceed $2,500, shall be paid to the person or persons giving information which leads to conviction: Provided further, That nothing herein shall be construed to prohibit possession or transportation of any bald eagle, alive or dead, or any part, nest, or egg thereof, lawfully taken prior to June 8, 1940, and that nothing herein shall be construed to prohibit possession or transportation of any golden eagle, alive or dead, or any part, nest, or egg thereof, lawfully taken prior to the addition to this subchapter of the provisions relating to preservation of the golden eagle.

LAS VEGAS (AP) – A 54-year-old powwow announcer has been sentenced to three years’ probation and ordered to repay $4,500 for selling feathers of a federally-protected immature golden eagle.

Terry Fiddler of Red Wing, Minn., was also sentenced Friday by U.S. District Judge Roger Hunt in Las Vegas to 100 hours of community service for his misdemeanor violation of the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act of 1940.

Fiddler pleaded guilty in August to selling a feathered headdress for $3,000 in February 2008 to undercover federal fish and wildlife agents in Las Vegas.

U.S. Attorney Daniel Bogden says Fiddler can only receive more eagle feathers through inheritance, the National Eagle Repository or for religious purposes.

He’s also required to notify authorities before attending future tribal powwows.
Tagdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #13
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagdot View Post
(a) Prohibited acts; criminal penalties
Whoever, within the United States or any place subject to the jurisdiction thereof, without being permitted to do so as provided in this subchapter, shall knowingly, or with wanton disregard for the consequences of his act take, possess, sell, purchase, barter, offer to sell, purchase or barter, transport, export or import, at any time or in any manner any bald eagle commonly known as the American eagle or any golden eagle, alive or dead, or any part, nest, or egg thereof of the foregoing eagles, or whoever violates any permit or regulation issued pursuant to this subchapter, shall be fined not more than $5,000 or imprisoned not more than one year or both: Provided, That in the case of a second or subsequent conviction for a violation of this section committed after October 23, 1972, such person shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both: Provided further, That the commission of each taking or other act prohibited by this section with respect to a bald or golden eagle shall constitute a separate violation of this section: Provided further, That one-half of any such fine, but not to exceed $2,500, shall be paid to the person or persons giving information which leads to conviction: Provided further, That nothing herein shall be construed to prohibit possession or transportation of any bald eagle, alive or dead, or any part, nest, or egg thereof, lawfully taken prior to June 8, 1940, and that nothing herein shall be construed to prohibit possession or transportation of any golden eagle, alive or dead, or any part, nest, or egg thereof, lawfully taken prior to the addition to this subchapter of the provisions relating to preservation of the golden eagle.

LAS VEGAS (AP) – A 54-year-old powwow announcer has been sentenced to three years’ probation and ordered to repay $4,500 for selling feathers of a federally-protected immature golden eagle.

Terry Fiddler of Red Wing, Minn., was also sentenced Friday by U.S. District Judge Roger Hunt in Las Vegas to 100 hours of community service for his misdemeanor violation of the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act of 1940.

Fiddler pleaded guilty in August to selling a feathered headdress for $3,000 in February 2008 to undercover federal fish and wildlife agents in Las Vegas.

U.S. Attorney Daniel Bogden says Fiddler can only receive more eagle feathers through inheritance, the National Eagle Repository or for religious purposes.

He’s also required to notify authorities before attending future tribal powwows.
And your point is what? My interpretation is the fella you reference was caught selling illegal and scarce wildlife byproducts for personal gain and he deserves to be punished severely. GM Doc appears to have come across a couple of eagle feathers during a walk in the woods and presumably he wants to put them under a picture frame in his office or something of the like. These are two different people/actions. If GM Doc puts his feathers on EBAY or attempts to sell them at the local VFW hall he is inviting similar trouble and consequences.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote