Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
RLW

Default Soliciting threads

I have and I'm sure everyone else has noticed many more solicitation threads being put in here. Mostly contractors and now errand runners. Are these or are they not suppose to be posted in the classified area. I believe the threads where we all suggest different companies is great as they are personal feelings about different companies, but when companies come in and put their complete ads of the work they do and ask for call backs I do not believe belong in the main general/cottage /repair threads. This is just my feelings and not intended to hurt anyones feelings and if I have.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

The "Errands" thread has been removed. When I spot or someone reports this kind of stand alone ad it is deleted. That kind of advertising is not allowed on the forum.

However, it is perfectly OK for contractors or other service providers to reply to questions and offer their services. If someone is looking for a plumber I would expect plumbers to reply and say "I'm great, use me". Some self-promotion is expected in replies like that and I don't consider them advertisements. Connecting contractors and customers is an important function of the Home Improvement section.

When a new member posts a question and a business replies I carefully check their IP and host information to make sure they are not the same person. That has happened a few times but is very rare.

As a general rule, contractors and other service providers should not start threads but are welcome to reply.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (08-03-2010), RLW (08-03-2010), VitaBene (08-05-2010)