Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
cowisl

Default What ever happened to the "wave?"

I have noticed over the past few years that more and more people do not wave. Why is that? On Saturday we were coming on the back side of bear and saw a small boat crossing from the mainland. I slowed and let the boat have the right of way. No wave or anything.
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
wildwoodfam

Default We still wave at EVERY boat we pass on the lake ...

but not everyone returns the wave. Used to be everyone waved when out on boats. Its a sign of the times - all about me me me - and who cares about the rest!

Same thing can be said about the country roads of Vermont. Back in the "good ole days" we'd head up to our families place on Lake Champlain and we'd get off the highway at Burlington and weave our way up to St Alabans along the back roads and along route 7 and everyone walking along the roads would wave at us. I'd ask my dad who these people were - and how did we know them?" He'd simply say - "they are just friendly people" - and he'd wave right back at them!

Not many people walking anymore along those roads (we were just up recently.) Some of the older ones still wave - but not nearly everyone!!

Those days are gone....

The world is just a less friendly place.
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
luckypete

Thumbs up Sounds like a poll question to me!!

Hey cowisl,

Here's one vote for.....i always wave!

lp
luckypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
billhurley

I always wave as well. It goes so far that my brother in law asked if I knew everyone, but I told him boaters wave to everyone.

How can you beat a day on the lake?
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
kjbathe

There was a commercial on TV in the last few years where a family was waving at everyone -- from the car, in the supermarket, to people they didn't know, etc, etc... It was a commercial to promote boating.

Real boaters wave. People borrowing other people's boats return blank looks...
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Chris Craft

It is getting to the point now that people will look the other way just so that they do not have to wave. Some times I can get a little obnoxious and keep waving
Chris Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #7
Sunrise Point

Real boaters wave. People borrowing other people's boats return blank looks...

We became boaters about 7 years ago. I was amazed when people would wave at us. I had no idea that it was a long-standing custom, sort of like a "Jeep wave".

I now wave when I'm out on the boat. Almost everyone smiles and waves back, especially the children. It's great.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
codeman671

I usually wave or nod, but lately have succumbed to using the middle finger for the countless morons that do not know what 150' is.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
brk-lnt

I'll generally nod my head or wave if I'm passing close-enough to another boat where you can make out facial features. This is generally when LESS than 150', as in when going through the Weirs channel, etc.

I wouldn't mind waving at more people, but it seems to get a bit distracting from keeping a proper lookout...
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
Newbiesaukee

Default The captain of another boat waved

to me the other day as he was speeding through the no wake zone by Trexler's. The only problem is his wave was in response to my universal "slow down" hand signal. He was ignorant of the law, but he was friendly
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
jeffk

Smile We're friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
I'll generally nod my head or wave if I'm passing close-enough to another boat where you can make out facial features. This is generally when LESS than 150', as in when going through the Weirs channel, etc.

I wouldn't mind waving at more people, but it seems to get a bit distracting from keeping a proper lookout...
I'm a head nodder as well. My wife usually gives a wave, especially if there are kids on the other boat because they usually love it. When we have our Golden on board she rides in the bow and we usually get lots more waves.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Hate to make it a local/tourist issue,but most locals look you right in the eye and nod or speak as you pass.When the summer people show up,many of them deliberately glance away so as not to make eye contact.Must be a city thing....not knowing if some weirdo is going to snap or start following you.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
SAUGUS BOATER

I'd have to agree more with kjbathe than samiam. It really is a "boating thing". I'm not a local, but I wave to everyone I pass. Just happy to be out on the boat enjoying something I love and glad to see others probably feeling the same way. Incidentally, I'm from the Boston area, where some the rudest people on the planet live, and when I'm boating out on Boston Harbor, most people wave back there too.
SAUGUS BOATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #14
SAUGUS BOATER

p.s. - I remember that boating commercial. It was really funny !!! I knew the commercial was for something boating related as soon as i saw it.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Yep, growing up on the lake we always waved and everyone. but everyone, waved back. Now, I am surprise if half wave back so I don't bother any more, which makes me sad. If someone waves, I wave back though and figure they must be old time boaters on the lake, or just friendly. However, what amazes me is when you are going slow, are eye to eye and you wave because you are staring at each other, and they don't wave back!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #16
bdkkennedy

Default BEST Wave

A couple of years back, I was leaving West alton Marina. While going through the channel between the sand bars, two young woman saluted every boat that passed, with similar results as what has happened to the wave. I stood up, saluted back, and was immediately rewarded with the two of them flashing thier ****. As the years have gone by those two women have become cuter every year. Just a memory. Dont want to hear whether it was appropriate or not, People just having fun.
bdkkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:57 PM   #17
Dave R

Note to self: practice salute.

I am a hard core motorcyclist and I have noticed that as the weather warms and the occasional bikers come out, the wavebacks decrease. Every biker waves back in NH, in January...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #18
The Big Kahuna

Default Big Wave

I wave all the time and find that most of the boaters I wave to, either wave back or nod. The wave is still strong on the big lake!
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:09 AM   #19
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Note to self: practice salute.

I am a hard core motorcyclist and I have noticed that as the weather warms and the occasional bikers come out, the wavebacks decrease. Every biker waves back in NH, in January...
Now you have to admit that if you waved at every biker passing you by over the past week or so you'd spend your entire day doing nothing but waving.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #20
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
Now you have to admit that if you waved at every biker passing you by over the past week or so you'd spend your entire day doing nothing but waving.
Agreed, the wave gets suspended during bike week. Kinda pointless to acknowledge non-conformity when everyone else is on two wheels too...

'Course, I avoid bike week like the plague. I like to ride at a spirited pace, alone. Bike week just clogs the good roads with slow moving clusters of bikes and the boring roads with stopped clusters of bikes. Instead, I rode my bicycle with my wife and kids in beautiful Dunstable, Pepperal, Groton, and Ayer MA over the weekend.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:35 AM   #21
jrc

Quote:
...Instead, I rode my bicycle with my wife and kids in beautiful Dunstable, Pepperal, Groton, and Ayer MA over the weekend.
Sounds like you found my favorite rail trail.

I find that Bike Week on the boat is fine, we make one pass down the channel to see the crowds. Then go find some nice place to hang out and enjoy the day.

I still find myself waving to bikes and boats. Once in awhile I even wave to bikers when in my car, just out of habit.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:35 AM   #22
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkkennedy View Post
A couple of years back, I was leaving West alton Marina. While going through the channel between the sand bars, two young woman saluted every boat that passed, with similar results as what has happened to the wave. I stood up, saluted back, and was immediately rewarded with the two of them flashing thier ****. As the years have gone by those two women have become cuter every year. Just a memory. Dont want to hear whether it was appropriate or not, People just having fun.
So this is how I should be waving.I knew I must have been doing something wrong.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #23
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
So this is how I should be waving.I knew I must have been doing something wrong.
Please don't lift your shirt, k?
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #24
Jeti

I always make a habit to wave, to blondes with DD's! Plus I blow them a kiss!
Jeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #25
Paugusbaby

I'm offended Jeti!! What about us brunettes with DDs?? Kidding people - just kidding.
Paugusbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #26
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Agreed, the wave gets suspended during bike week. Kinda pointless to acknowledge non-conformity when everyone else is on two wheels too...

'Course, I avoid bike week like the plague. I like to ride at a spirited pace, alone. Bike week just clogs the good roads with slow moving clusters of bikes and the boring roads with stopped clusters of bikes. Instead, I rode my bicycle with my wife and kids in beautiful Dunstable, Pepperal, Groton, and Ayer MA over the weekend.
Dave,

I am a waver on the boat almost always (not in the Weirs channel or other crazy busy places) and on the bike until around June 1- at that point if I were waving to every bike that went by my arm would fall off- especially if riding on roads that circumvent Winni! Once I get onto the more back roads like 153, 113, 171, etc, I start waving again.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #27
chipj29

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugusbaby View Post
I'm offended Jeti!! What about us brunettes with DDs?? Kidding people - just kidding.
Hi there.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #28
Jeti

Your right I got two hands I can wave them both! I love them all.......
Old 06-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #29
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Now this is a great subject!

Saugus Boater.. of course you wave. You're from a cool place like Saugus, like me

I think we need to expand this into the different "types" of waves.

I'm old enough to remember the "Jackie Kennedy" elbow at 90 degrees, sunglasses, scraf on the head, rotating back and forth with no finger movement. ( I'll bet there is a youtube video out there someplace)

Then you have the "Little baby wave".. first one most of us learned, hand straight up.. just bending the fingers.. no thumb bending.

Admit it. some of you are trying those two as you read this.

Me, I wave from the boat all the time.. I use the sort of "One side of a high five" wave. Sorta like a one handed set shot. (which most likely hit the rim and bounced off! )

Humm.. what about the "ballpark wave" ? Maybe too tough to pull off in a boat unless your rafting.

Does the whole YMCA deal by the Village People count as a wave?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #30
SAUGUS BOATER

Default Great subject

SteveA,

i strongly agree with the title of your last post. This thread is a great subject. Very refreshing to read a light and funny thread. Especially after reading all the rude and crass comments on the Diamond Island Boat accident thread.

p.s.- i had a nice steak 'n cheese for you the other day over at "the Villa"
Old 06-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #31
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default At the risk of..

ticking off the High Jack Police.

I really do miss Sub Villa... So to stay on post... wave to the fine folks at Sub Villa for me next time you drive down Route 1 in Saugus.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #32
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Once I get onto the more back roads like 153, 113, 171, etc, I start waving again.

Some tasty roads. Add 118, 26, 145, 113A, Hurricane Mt Road and Winona Road to that list too. I was on the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Island NS, Canada last month and they were repaving it. Gonna be sweet soon.

I wave on the boat as well.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #33
Alton Bay Bob

Default Back to Waving

I was born a New Yorker.. We never waved.... I moved to Mass.. Became a boater..... Then we waved....
I am now a weekend NH resident. I finally know the joy of waving.... I wave to all boaters.... I even wave to walkers on route 11 D... and they all wave back....
I am amazed at the joy it gives me when human beings just acknowledge each other....I would strongly suggest that all of us.... all posters on this web site.. make a conscious effort to wave to each other.

I have read all the posts regarding the boat sinking last year and the tragic death this year. I have read all the posts regarding the speed limit debate. I would humbly suggest we agree to disagree on many issues... yet we agree to wave to each other.... affirming our love of this beautiful place....and to encourage others.... everone to wave to each other....This is the most beautiful place I have known......Please wave to an old guy in Alton who is waving crazily at you.....
Alton Bay Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #34
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
ticking off the High Jack Police.

I really do miss Sub Villa... So to stay on post... wave to the fine folks at Sub Villa for me next time you drive down Route 1 in Saugus.
OMG Sub Villa! I have not been there in almost 30 years... Day trip!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #35
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I pass it every day, Monday-Thursday, have never stopped, hmmm....
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #36
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default OK... so this is an offical Highjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP View Post
I pass it every day, Monday-Thursday, have never stopped, hmmm....
GWC (and all the other highjack police) please forgive me.. I agree this is a highjack. Blame SaugusBoater.. he started it!

Please let me have a little former Mass resident fun with this..

SubVilla in Saugus Mass is very, very close to being a national landmark.

Eric P..stop and try it ... join the club.. SubVilla the best ever.

Chip... you HAVE to go back..
Old 06-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #37
SAUGUS BOATER

Quote:

Chip,

if you haven't been there in 30 years, you might want to know they moved across the street. The old "a frame" sub villa is now a walgreens. I miss the old days of skipping class at Saugus high and sneaking over to the old villa for a sangwich.
Maybe we need a seperate sub villa thread?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:34 AM   #38
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUGUS BOATER View Post
Chip,

if you haven't been there in 30 years, you might want to know they moved across the street. The old "a frame" sub villa is now a walgreens. I miss the old days of skipping class at Saugus high and sneaking over to the old villa for a sangwich.
Maybe we need a seperate sub villa thread?
I am very rarely on Rt 1, so no I did not know that. I would have been pulling into Walgreens wondering what aisle their subs were in.

I think we successfully hijacked this thread. My apologies to the person that started this thread. Carry on with the waving.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #39
jonfinn

The wave is one of my favorite things about boating. With many things in life there are those who will claim that "it's not like it was." I wish I had the ability to measure and observe that. But frankly, I don't have the time.

I'm too busy waving!

:-)

(Looking forward to my annual trek the the big lake!)
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #40
Island Girl

Default Always

I always wave... have since I was a little kid on a little lake. It is a boater thing... and an old boss told me it was a sports car thing, waving to other sports cars.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #41
parrothead

Default Wave both in the boat and the Jeep

I still wave to everyone on the boat, and when I had a Jeep waved at other Jeeps as well. Got a couple funny looks when I kept waving for a few days after I sold the Jeep and got a pickup, and forgot what I was driving. Habits are hard to break.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #42
Cristen

I'm such a waver. On the boat or the bike (except during bike week). I like it when people wave to me as well. We're all doing something we love...whether it's boating or riding the bike.

The moral of the story....be cool, and say hello. Being friendly makes you feel good too!
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #43
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
I still wave to everyone on the boat, and when I had a Jeep waved at other Jeeps as well. Got a couple funny looks when I kept waving for a few days after I sold the Jeep and got a pickup, and forgot what I was driving. Habits are hard to break.
I have had 2 Jeeps, the first one I "inherited" when I married my wife. She used to call me a Jeep snob if I forgot to wave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen View Post
I'm such a waver. On the boat or the bike (except during bike week). I like it when people wave to me as well. We're all doing something we love...whether it's boating or riding the bike.

The moral of the story....be cool, and say hello. Being friendly makes you feel good too!
I don't wave on the bike as much as I used to. Seems that most of the riders never waved back (esp the Harley guys) so I got out of the habit.
I don't wave that much when I am on my PWC. I figure most of the boaters hate* me anyway, so why bother.
*I get that impression from the dirty looks, no matter how far away from their boat I am.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #44
VitaBene

Quote:
Some tasty roads. Add 118, 26, 145, 113A, Hurricane Mt Road and Winona Road to that list too. I was on the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Island NS, Canada last month and they were repaving it. Gonna be sweet soon.

Dave,

I will check them out as well. For some reason, I look at 113A all the time and have not taken it- next time I will!
Old 06-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #45
Gatto Nero

Quote:
118 is a beauty! I found a few years back after they had just completed repaving it. Yee haa! I probably don't wave too much when I'm on it though, there are lots of twists ans turns on that baby. Best to keep my hands on the bars.

Quote:
I don't wave on the bike as much as I used to. Seems that most of the riders never waved back (esp the Harley guys) so I got out of the habit.
We do have a rep to keep ya know
Old 06-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #46
Cristen

Quote:
I don't wave that much when I am on my PWC. I figure most of the boaters hate* me anyway, so why bother.
*I get that impression from the dirty looks, no matter how far away from their boat I am.
I hear what you're saying about the dirty looks on the PWC. Geez...some boaters really hate us. If I get a dirty look from someone, I'll just wave three fingers in their face and tell them to read between the lines!. I'm kind of feisty that way!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:55 AM   #47
chipj29

Quote:
I hear what you're saying about the dirty looks on the PWC. Geez...some boaters really hate us. If I get a dirty look from someone, I'll just wave three fingers in their face and tell them to read between the lines!. I'm kind of feisty that way!
lol I am not that feisty, unless someone says something. Otherwise, I will just go on my merry way, maintaining my distance. For me, 150' is too close. I stay far enough away so I can't hear the swears...lol
Old 06-26-2008, 07:03 AM   #48
VitaBene

Quote:
Cristen, you would never do that!!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #49
Cristen

Quote:
lol I am not that feisty, unless someone says something. Otherwise, I will just go on my merry way, maintaining my distance. For me, 150' is too close. I stay far enough away so I can't hear the swears...lol

Chip - you are funny....you know they swear at us too!

I'm a law abiding/respectful boater, but if someone gives me crap for no good reason just because I ride a PWC, I'm ready to jump in the ring and bring it!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #50
Cristen

Quote:
Cristen, you would never do that!!
LOL. No...not me, I'm a nice girl (at least until some tool messes with me on my lake).
Old 06-26-2008, 10:34 AM   #51
chipj29

Quote:
Chip - you are funny....you know they swear at us too!

I'm a law abiding/respectful boater, but if someone gives me crap for no good reason just because I ride a PWC, I'm ready to jump in the ring and bring it!
I hear ya. I know there are some crappy PWC riders out there that give all of us a bad name. However like you said, some people just love to hate us, law-abiding or not. Oh well, that is their perrogative. Whatever floats their boat, I suppose.

A few years ago, there were 4 of us on PWCs going up one stretch of the Merrimack River. There were a few boats on the water, but nothing we couldn't get around without coming off plane, well outside the 150' range. the one boat we couldn't get around outside 150', we all slowed to no wake speed. As we initially took off, we saw the MP boat putting in at the ramp. We thought nothing of it until we got to our destination, and he pulled us over. He said the boaters were cheering as he passed them. He then said that if they were cheering, that means we must have been within 150' of them. I just laughed, and asked him how close did you observe us to be? Of course he didn't know, so he couldn't ticket us based on peoples cheers. He had no proof, because A. It didn't happen, and B. He didn't see it anyway.

Since he caught up to us relatively quick, I wondered which of us were going "too fast" or too close, us on the PWCs, or the MP guy? lol
Old 06-26-2008, 12:32 PM   #52
Cristen

Quote:
I hear ya. I know there are some crappy PWC riders out there that give all of us a bad name. However like you said, some people just love to hate us, law-abiding or not. Oh well, that is their perrogative. Whatever floats their boat, I suppose.

A few years ago, there were 4 of us on PWCs going up one stretch of the Merrimack River. There were a few boats on the water, but nothing we couldn't get around without coming off plane, well outside the 150' range. the one boat we couldn't get around outside 150', we all slowed to no wake speed. As we initially took off, we saw the MP boat putting in at the ramp. We thought nothing of it until we got to our destination, and he pulled us over. He said the boaters were cheering as he passed them. He then said that if they were cheering, that means we must have been within 150' of them. I just laughed, and asked him how close did you observe us to be? Of course he didn't know, so he couldn't ticket us based on peoples cheers. He had no proof, because A. It didn't happen, and B. He didn't see it anyway.

Since he caught up to us relatively quick, I wondered which of us were going "too fast" or too close, us on the PWCs, or the MP guy? lol
That's a crazy story. At least you didn't get a ticket. PWCs are like bikes - MP and cops LOVE to go after us.

Anyway, have a great summer on Winnipesaukee!

Last edited by Cristen; 06-27-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #53
cowisl

Smile

Just out of curiosity, how many of you abide by the "right of way" rule?
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #54
Island Girl

Default Always

... It did take me a while to teach my head to automatically know when a boat had the right of way....

Right of way... boat on the right .. has the right of way or

On the front lights... green means the boat coming from that direction has the right of way...

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:39 PM   #55
chipj29

Quote:
That's a crazy story. At least you didn't get a ticket. PWCs are likes bikes - MP and cops LOVE to go after us.

Look for me out there, and be sure you wave!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #56
Cristen

Quote:
Look for me out there, and be sure you wave!
Will do!!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #57
Dave R

Quote:
PWCs are likes bikes - MP and cops LOVE to go after us.

If you are riding a sport bike skillfully at a spirited pace on a twisty back road, most police don't do anything. I suspect they don't expect to be able to keep up, let alone catch up. From what I have seen, police have an easier time targeting cruisers and sport bike posers though...
Old 06-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #58
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
On the front lights... green means the boat coming from that direction has the right of way...

IG
...and since they're coming from the right, you'll see their red bow light, which means you have to stop.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #59
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Exclamation The 'Wave'

I remember the wave back in the late 50's. It was very contagious.

I still wave today. The traditional wave to courteous boaters and the 'birdie' to the Boneheads.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #60
robmac

I always wave,have been boating for about 25 years and it just seems natural to share it by waving to fellow boaters.Maybe people are in to much of a hurry and need to slow down and just relax and enjoy it.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #61
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Doing My Part

I embarrass my kids all the time by waving so much. Unfortunately even with glasses, my eyesight isn’t the best. I will wave at a boat or fishermen going by and my son will laugh and tell me they weren’t even looking in our direction.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #62
NHDOLFAN

I was on the lake the other day and waved to several boats including Marine Patrol. I was with a friend of mine. Simultaneously, we both stated that no one waves anymore. I will continue to wave regardless. On another note, I have also noticed more and more boaters who are rude and think the lake belongs to them, which makes it dangerous for everyone. Slow down people and enjoy the beauty!
NHDOLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #63
Jeti

I have noticed that No one even flashes anymore.... 20 Years ago.. It was all the rage!

If you can't see the skin, No one wins!
Old 07-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #64
Cal

Always wave in the boat , always wave in the Vette. Also have a Jeep as a daily beater and never heard of that wave
It must be a Wrangler thing , mines a Cherokee.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #65
sa meredith

Default really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowisl View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many of you abide by the "right of way" rule?
Really, you would ask a question like this? Unless it is an extreme emergency, it should 1000 out of 1000 times.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #66
Rinkerfam

I think it's fun to wave at the Mount or the Winnipesaukee railroad and see all those friendly faces wave back. I also like to wave at the MP and see which ones are happy to reply as opposed to those who look annoyed in doing so.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:36 AM   #67
chipj29

Default Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Always wave in the boat , always wave in the Vette. Also have a Jeep as a daily beater and never heard of that wave
It must be a Wrangler thing , mines a Cherokee.
You are correct, the Jeep wave applies to Wranglers. Sorry, Cherokees don't count as Jeeps....
Old 07-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #68
JG1222

There are some related responses in a thread from back in the day:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...read.php?t=998
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:51 AM   #69
Joanna16

Talking Grew up in a Small town

Hey there - I grew up in a small town where when you walked up the street the adults (not us kids as we were discouraged from talking to strangers) said "Hi" to everyone they passed. I now work in this town and no one ever does it. But the town is a lot larger than it once was also.

Maybe this is like the boat wave thing - everyone used to wave for there were so few of us - now any bonehead can have a boat so no one bothers anymore.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #70
Rattlesnake Guy

We wave at anyone close enough to see us. It is nice to see that our kids and their girl friends have learned the tradition and seem perfectly happy to practice it as well. Another generation to carry the responsibility.

I must admit that I have a hard time waving at the captain B.

The island seems to be a big boat to us also as we wave to anyone looking our way as they go past. 90% of them wave back. Our Island neighbors wave when we come and go. It is a nice tradition that helps make this lake the best place to be.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #71
KBoater

Default Kids wave too

I was finally out in the boards for lunch and did wave at several boats. I’ve been doing it for many years. I have noticed in FL that everyone there waves including the rentals. The kids wave the most and hardest.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #72
MJM

With this thread in mind, I made an effort to keep track of how many respond to my wave - I'd say it's directly related to how close you are and how fast you are going.

In a channel, it was 100%.
In areas where everyone is going maybe 10-20mph, it was probably 50%.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #73
kjbathe

I had to chuckle... After a wonderful weekend on the water, my daughter waving to everyone (and most waving back), it continued as she was waving to everyone walking by the house last night. I thought very briefly of telling her she didn't need to do that, but then realized she was right. We're boat people. We wave.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #74
VitaBene

Quote:

Dave, I rode 113A a few times now- what a nice ride. I love the river, we stopped and hung out at the river's edge.

Thanks for the head's up!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:41 AM   #75
Dave R

Quote:
Dave, I rode 113A a few times now- what a nice ride. I love the river, we stopped and hung out at the river's edge.

Thanks for the head's up!
Glad you enjoyed it. Except for Winter, motorcyclist/boaters are really blessed here in NH.