Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
crownline_guy

Default Open Letter to **** re: Wolfeboro HP slips

To the owner of **** that docked at the HP slip twice on Saturday. Does the HP designated docking not apply to you because your boat is too big to fit a regular space? Or is it because you're above the laws and common courtesy the rest of us abide by and can't wait your turn? This bone head docked there at lunch time for at least 2 hours (came in too fast and with a wake) and again came back later that night to listen to the concert (made sure he revved the engines for all to hear before leaving). Both times with no regard for the rules.

When someone complained to the traffic cop on detail, the officer went over to the empty boat, called to see if anyone was aboard, then just left without writing a ticket or warning. When questioned about the lack of action, he stated he'd keep an eye out for the owner and have a chat with him. Translation; he was not going to enforce this law and we never saw this cop again.

While I personally believe the HP slip is not warranted and should be done away with, it does seem to be the rule and all should comply. It's up to Wolfeboro to enforce or abandon this rule as selective or no enforcement only leads to misunderstanding.
crownline_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
kchace

Is it possible he or someone with him was legitimately handicapped? I know if I was there with my mother (85, infirm and quite blind) I would use one of those spaces. I'm not sure if I would want to leave her handicap tag on my 'unsecurable' dashboard or not.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
Airwaves

If there really is a "Need" for this type of thing perhaps NH should begin issuing HP bow numbers. That way the handicapped ID you hang on your dash won't be stolen and people can recognize a handicapped persons boat on sight.

The bow numbers could be similar to the the old HP license plates before the wheelchair symbol was adopted.....something like NH 1234 HP

Of course is there really a NEED?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Nauset

Default Don't think there was a law broken here.

There was a previous thread which it was determined that the town's motivation was to do the right thing politically. They are not issuing tickets. I don't believe there is an actual law for the HP docks.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...olfeboro+docks
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
chmeeee

Were the docks otherwise full when he arrived? As per the ADA regulations noted in the other thread:

Quote:
A15.2.3 Boat Slips: Minimum Number. Accessible boat slips are not "reserved" for persons with disabilities in the same manner as accessible vehicle parking spaces. Rather, accessible boat slip use is comparable to accessible hotel rooms. The Department of Justice is responsible for addressing operational issues relating to the use of accessible facilities and elements. The Department of Justice currently advises that hotels should hold accessible rooms for persons with disabilities until all other rooms are filled. At that point, accessible rooms can be open for general use on a first come, first serve basis.
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
B R

Thanks to whoever took the name of the boat out of this post. That was totally uncalled for (and no, it's not my boat).
Old 07-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownline_guy View Post
To the owner of **** that docked at the HP slip twice on Saturday. Does the HP designated docking not apply to you because your boat is too big to fit a regular space? Or is it because you're above the laws and common courtesy the rest of us abide by and can't wait your turn? This bone head docked there at lunch time for at least 2 hours (came in too fast and with a wake) and again came back later that night to listen to the concert (made sure he revved the engines for all to hear before leaving). Both times with no regard for the rules.

When someone complained to the traffic cop on detail, the officer went over to the empty boat, called to see if anyone was aboard, then just left without writing a ticket or warning. When questioned about the lack of action, he stated he'd keep an eye out for the owner and have a chat with him. Translation; he was not going to enforce this law and we never saw this cop again.

While I personally believe the HP slip is not warranted and should be done away with, it does seem to be the rule and all should comply. It's up to Wolfeboro to enforce or abandon this rule as selective or no enforcement only leads to misunderstanding.
Does it make a difference what type of boat this guy was driving? Would it be different if he had a 12' aluminum with a 10HP on the back?

In a strange way the length of his boat makes him more eligible for the space. If he can't park it anywhere else then isn't he eligible under the ADA to use the HP spot? Just another example why this entire "reserved for HP" thing is political correctness carried to far.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
LDR4

Default HP Slip in Wolfboro

Could someone please tell me what the purpose of this Handicap Boat slip is???
I have been there, and it does not have a ramp, it does not have a lift, it is no closer than any other slip, and it has no "special accommendations" for the "Handicap Boater".
Which leads me to what is a Handicap boater and why would they need a special slip with a HP placard on it that does not provide them with any special accomodations other than saving them from waiting their turn for a slip like everone else has to do?

My wife is legaly disabled and has an HP placard for our car, but it she does not have a issue being in or getting out of a boat. Plus, if we park our car in a Handicap spot at the boat ramp using our placard, how are suppose to then put the placard on our boat at Wolfboro??

This HP desiginated slip is a joke. It is the brainchild of some "polictically correct" obcessed person with way too much time on their hands.
If it had a special ramp or lift for a wheel chair I would be all for it, but to take away a slip from the general public and put an HP sign on it for the purposes of just saving someone from waiting in line, is ridiculous.

It is my understanding that the slip is not an official, legal "HP parking only" area, so therefore the police can not issue a ticket to you for being there.

I would advise anyone waiting in line for a slip to take the HP spot if there is no one there. It makes more sense than to have a whole side of a dock empty most of the day while dozens of boats wait for a space.
LDR4 is offline   Reply With Quote