Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
CanisLupusArctos

Default Black Cat Shoals claims another

At 3:33 p.m. another boat hit Black Cat shoals and was apparently stuck. Other vessels have been assisting, including a canoe. A half hour later, it's still on the rocks, at the point where they are the highest.

Over the years, many have crashed on Black Cat Shoals. A few years ago a go-fast even lost his entire lower unit with enough force that it spun around up in the air before splashing down, while the boat glided a couple hundred feet ahead.

To see people crash on the highest part of BCS is rare. It's closest in to the land. They always used to hit the smooth granite ledges further out, where it's possible to walk around at water level and jump off the east side into 10 feet of water. People have been coming in closer and closer in recent years, in many cases illegally buzzing docks and swim rafts. There are many rocks along that path, which bring about justice of their own. The area between Black Cat Shoals and the shore of the island is navigable only to those who know it well... and then only no wake, for more than just legal reasons.

In the summer this could almost be called the "CrashCam".

UPDATE: The boat was removed from the rocks by Sea Tow at 4:45.
Attached Images

Last edited by CanisLupusArctos; 06-28-2008 at 04:01 PM.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
EricP

They got off arund 4:50 PM. I had checked the cam page around that time, saw the boat and then a few minutes later I refreshed the page and it was gone along with another boat that apparently was there to help. Hope all is well but I imagine they'll have to check the hull closely.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
NH_boater

Default black cat

sorry for the silly question. Are the BC Shoals directly across the bay from black cat bridge and Becky's garden? By Leavitt Park?
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Rinkerfam

They are on the Southwest side of Black Cat by FL83. A good place to steer clear of.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
NH_boater

Gottit, thanks. I thought you might be referring to the formation by FL84, another tricky spot. I have anchored over by 84 and swing well clear of the markers. I have seen folks plow right through though. I remember thinking that they either know this section REAL well, or are completely ignorant (more likely).

Like 83, I steer well around these challenging spots.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links