Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
Just Sold

Post Glendale Marine, Gilford

Heard that Glendale Marine is closing. Must be because of the new Marine Patrol Headquarters being built. Anyone have any more info?
Old 03-01-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
Heard that Glendale Marine is closing. Must be because of the new Marine Patrol Headquarters being built. Anyone have any more info?
Yes, Glendale Marina was sold to the state to make room for the new MP headquarters building. Mark, the owner, is now working for Winnisquam Marine.

Dan
Old 03-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Glendale Marine Building

It will be kind of sad for me to see it go. My Dad and my uncle built the 'hut' for John Goodhue from WWII surplus back in the '50's.

They are amazed that it is still standing as it was built in mind that it was temporary.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:55 AM   #4
Donzi Minx

Smile Glendale Marine Building

Does anyone remember "Earl" who used to work for Goodhue?
He worked on the family Chris Craft. Not sure what transmission they used on those boast but I remember bringing it to him, parking it at the dock, he would come down, remove the cover plate, make an adjustment and off we would go.
They refinished the boat over the winter months several times. Just a quiet personable man, that knew his stuff. Lost touch of him during the 70's. Lost touch of a lot of things during the 70's........
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default Earl Steele

Earl (and his wife who was a waitress) were part of a number of folks who worked at the same places for years. Summer in NH and winter in Florida. Of course engines were simpler then and you repaired instead of replacing as we do now. So, Earl could fix most anything, but he left the outboards to Arthur Jean, who wouldn't work on your motor if you wanted to wait. Earl was also pretty good with a welding torch doing custom ski tow rigs for some of us in the Water Ski Marathons of the day.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2015, 07:25 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Default .....summer-winter-summer-winter!

.....hhmmmmmm?.....not a bad plan.....summer-NH .....winter-FL .....summer-NH ....winter-FL...summer-NH...winter-FL... etcetera....etcetera....etcetera.... hmmmm....not a bad plan ..... plus you probably get to use both summer and winter as verbs when you snow-bird like that....as opposed to saying 'u-know this here winter has been a danged cold one!' ...or saying 'u-know this dang summer has just gone on too long and been too sunny' .... not a bad plan!

.... say.... wasn't there a tv-show with this Earl guy in it?
Old 03-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #7
MeredithMan

Default while we're going down Memory Lane at Glendale...

...the question about Earl made me think of Manny Makris. Anyone remember him or what happened to him? He was the owner of Goodhue Marine in the early/mid 70's and was the Sea Ray dealer before Irwin, (not sure what the business arrangement was, but Goodhue kept the name, but Makris had the business, I guess?? I was only 13 at the time). My father bought a new 22' SeaRay Cuddy Cabin from Makris in 1975. If I remember right, the price was around $8 or $9K. Can't buy a new jet ski for that now.... My recollection is that Makris was no longer in business a few years later, but again, I was just a teeny-bopper at the time....
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
Donzi Minx

Smile Earl Steele

Thanks to you local folks for the response. I too was just about 15 or 16 at the time and was just amazed at how much Earl knew and did to keep that old flat head six continental running. He must have replaced about 4 head gaskets on it before my family gave up on the boat. Last I knew the boat was at Fays. They sent my uncle notes of non payment for storage, and eventually the boat was sold. It was identical to the boat in On Golden Pond but it had navy blue seats instead. While I am at it, how about the Fataconni's (spelling) that used to own Wise Owl? Or how about the Bishops that owned Mountain Air?
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote