Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
coolyourjets

Default Swim raft location

Seeking everyone's advise on what seems to be a potential issue. My neighbor left her swim raft in over the winter and the ice carried it about 15-20 feet on my side of the property line. It's not blocking access to my dock but my neighbor often allows large groups of "kids" to spend the weekend unattended. These are either late high school or college age kids, maybe a mix of the two. A lot of drinking, foul language, littering and general loudness until 5am and much of it is now happening in front of my house. Another neighbor has spoken to her about the noise level and she's apathetic. I know the swim raft was mentioned by my neighbor but she seemed to be indifferent on that as well. Trying to be a good neighbor, I've held off on calling the police on the noise but it may be time to do that. Do I have any options on the swim raft? I know the lake is for everyone to enjoy and I don't own the water, but it would seem that the diplomatic approach will not be successful.
coolyourjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
gwhite13

what the ice moved one direction a snorkel and mask can move the other. why antagonize the situation and liability, pick up the blocks and return them to their rightful place. all will be well again.
gwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gwhite13 For This Useful Post:
Old Hubbard Rd (08-16-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
ITD

Cut it loose......
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
pjard (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #4
Kamper

I'm sure the above suggestion is in jest but just in case somebody has a similar issue in the future, cutting a vessel or float is illegal in itself and would create a hazardous situation.

The simplest solution is to "be a good neighbor" and relocate the raft back in front of the owners' property. There's probably some law restricting them to that location anyway but it will be quicker to do the deed than try to find the statute. lol

As to the loud and obnoxious... That would fall under 'disturbing the peace' on land or water. It's a coin-toss on that, whether you should discuss it with the owners first or just call the police.

Good luck!

(Oh screw it. Get a broken bottle and if anybody asks you can blame it on the drunks.)
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
RLW

coolyourjets, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for joining and putting you interest onto the forum.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
RLW

Smile

gwhite13, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum after joining back in December 2010. We are glad that you have come aboard and joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for joining in and adding your comments.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
Scott's Yott

I'm sure the above suggestion is in jest but just in case somebody has a similar issue in the future, cutting a vessel or float is illegal in itself and would create a hazardous situation.

Its not illegal if you dont get caught...Night manuvers
Scott's Yott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:37 PM   #8
pcmc

I will suggest produce a video of the aggravation at its worst. Point out the location of the raft in reference to your property within the video. Then you could show it to the police or town should you take that route.

.......OR .......

Kindly confront the group of people creating the nuisance while they are creating it and explain how it sounds like they are having so much fun, BUT then point out to them how this past winter was a bad one, and explain how the wind and ice dragged the raft in front of your property. I would then offer $20 or what ever to who would be willing to relocate the blocks back in front of the neighbors property. $40 and you might walk away a their hero. If the people are of age a case of beer still works wonders. You won't even have to get wet.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

First don't touch what isn't yours with out talking to your neighbor first.

I would offer to help relocate the swim raft back to in front of the right home. If they give you to much flack call the Marine Patrol, and I am sure they will talk to the home owner, who identification should be on the raft. If identification isn't on the raft then the Marine Patrol may just take the raft away.

Second, find out your town noise ordinance on noise, and "quite hours".... and then talk to your neighbor about it when they are too loud to late at night.
Once you know they are educated on the noise ordinances, then call the cops if they keep it up to often.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
First don't touch what isn't yours with out talking to your neighbor first.

I would offer to help relocate the swim raft back to in front of the right home. If they give you to much flack call the Marine Patrol, and I am sure they will talk to the home owner, who identification should be on the raft. If identification isn't on the raft then the Marine Patrol may just take the raft away.

Second, find out your town noise ordinance on noise, and "quite hours".... and then talk to your neighbor about it when they are too loud to late at night.
Once you know they are educated on the noise ordinances, then call the cops if they keep it up to often.
You are not required to have a name or contact information on the raft. They tried this one season and it went away. We never had anything on ours over many years.

Someone else mentioned moving it manually. Usually the blocks that secure them are rather large, more than a mask and snorkel will allow you to move. The ice has immense strength at moving things. One could hook on and tow it back across when they are not home.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #11
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post

Kindly confront the group of people creating the nuisance while they are creating it and explain how it sounds like they are having so much fun, BUT then point out to them how this past winter was a bad one, and explain how the wind and ice dragged the raft in front of your property. I would then offer $20 or what ever to who would be willing to relocate the blocks back in front of the neighbors property. $40 and you might walk away a their hero. If the people are of age a case of beer still works wonders. You won't even have to get wet.
I would have to agree with pcmc on this one. If they are a bunch of young kids I'm sure, if approached in the correct manner, they would find challenge in moving back to its original location, even without a bribe. As for keeping them from drinking and partying all night, good luck with that.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
Patiently Watching

Unless the laws changed in the past 5 or so years, there is nothing you can do about it being 'in front of your house' as long as its not too far from shore...

Had an incident a few years ago with a neighbors raft and learned all about it at the time.

Good luck
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #13
coolyourjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiently Watching View Post
Unless the laws changed in the past 5 or so years, there is nothing you can do about it being 'in front of your house' as long as its not too far from shore...

Had an incident a few years ago with a neighbors raft and learned all about it at the time.

Good luck
Thanks. Unfortunately, that's what I assumed would be the case. I am a very big proponent of the idea that the lake belongs to all of the people of NH and not just those of us with lakefront property. However, I'm also a big proponent of common courtesy to my neighbors and aside from the fact that I would not leave a raft in over the winter, if mine did move, I would have it back in its proper place as quickly as possible.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #14
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Hmmmmmm....

Maybe the neighbors should be told that you are going to remove "your" swim raft from in front of your house, and their kids and friends won't be able to use it, but if the neighbor would like it, they can move it over in front of their house.
Old Hubbard Rd (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 04:24 PM   #15
coolyourjets

So one more question:

Other than the rules of common sense, are there any laws that swim rafts need to be removed for the winter?