Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Question Fall Foliage 2009

It is August and time for me to plan my annual fall foliage trip to the lake. I am trying to figure out what weekend will be the best for foliage and to take the Mount Sunday brunch cruise. I know it is early, but does anyone have any idea when the colors should be the best this year. I usually wait until the weekend after Columbus day, but with all the rain this year and really no summer, will the colors be early or late?
ILoveWinnipesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
meteotrade

ILW, this summer's anomalous weather should have no effect on the fall foliage. September is the month where the weather pattern can have an impact on the timing and intensity of the color change. So to answer your question, there is no way to know this far out. Columbus Day weekend, +/- one week.
meteotrade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to meteotrade For This Useful Post:
ILoveWinnipesaukee (08-07-2009)
Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
dpg

A week or two before Columbus day weekend in my opinion. I always make it up to the Sandwich Fair and it's usually peaked to a bit beyond at that point. Other opinions will vary.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
meteotrade

I'm with you, DPG. I guess it's a matter of personal preference, but what most people consider "peak", I consider past. I like it when there are still some green trees in the mix... provides a contrast to the yellows/reds and intensifies the colors. Once the oaks start turning, it's long past peak IMO.
meteotrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Question ok update needed

Still planning on coming up the weekend of the 16-18th of October, have reservations for Lake Winnipesaukee Motel and was wondering how the color is and if anyone can predict if it will be peak or past peak when we are there?

I do not care one way or the other, as we are coming that weekend no matter what as we do not want to join the Columbus day traffic driving around. Plus cannot wait to sit and relax in the quiet of the fall season at the lake.
ILoveWinnipesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
TomC

Default i think you'll see nice color..

Peak is usually Columbus Day, but it seems like its still pretty green around here for 2 weeks before the holiday. I think the weekend after will still be near-peak. Your weekend is only three weeks away...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
Rattlesnake Guy

16th to 18th should be a little past at the lake. Right around the lake is a little retarded because of the impact the water has on the couple hundred feet around the water. I think the peak moves about 50 miles south per week. Obviously the trees don't have a calender so are influenced by the weather conditions which can bend time a bit. I think the period the leaves are worth seeing is perhaps a 2 week window. (Subject to more debate than some of the hottest topics on this site)

You will see plenty of color.

As a life long NH resident, my favorite days, when I seem to be most impressed and get the best photos is right after a bit of rain when the leaves and bark are still wet. I agree with metrotrade, when a tree is bright orange and a bit of hold out green is the best. (early side)
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
rick35

Planning two more trips to the lake to close up for the season. Found this site which predicts foliage levels across the state. Looks like the weekend of the 10th-11th will be near peak and the 17th-18th will be past. I have another trip to the Red Hill fire tower planned. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

http://foliage.visitnh.gov.ns1www.si...dex-flash.html
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rick35 For This Useful Post:
ILoveWinnipesaukee (09-27-2009), SteveA (09-27-2009)