Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts
Thumbs up Weather Feed on Facebook

I just wanted to let everyone know that there is a great source of daily (sometimes hourly) weather reports from the lake.

Our own CanisLupusArctos posts reports almost every day on Facebook from his home on Black Cat Island. Join or log in to Facebook and search for "Lake Winnipesaukee WeatherCam". Add yourself as a fan and all CLA's reports will show on your Facebook page. CLA's reports are more timely and accurate than anything I've seen in the media.

There are many other lake related groups on Facebook if you just can't get enough Lake Winni information. I'm a member of "Lake Winnipesaukee WeatherCam", "Lake Winnipesaukee", "Crazy Gringo" and "Moss Creek Media" and there are many more.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Blue Thunder (07-22-2009), brk-lnt (07-22-2009)
Old 07-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
CanisLupusArctos

Thank you for this plug Don! After months of trying to figure out what to do with the WeatherCam's facebook profile, I decided to use the status update feature to provide a feed of quick updates 2 or more times a day that aren't practical for this forum or on the WeatherCenter site.

To get the Facebook page, visit the WeatherCam site and click on the link (left side) that says "Find Us On Facebook."

The WeatherCam's facebook page is where you'll find my descriptions of things the camera can't show you, like stars at night. Every now and then I'll provide a description of a nice juicy boat crash on the rocks.

I also write weather notes as needed, on the profile. This is where I provide info that's too long for the status update feature.

The Winnipesaukee Weather Forum is where I'll continue to make the more lengthy but less formal comments on weather. Sometimes I won't have time to make separate comments, which is when you'll see the same note posted on the Forum and also on Facebook.

Warnings and alerts will appear in the status updates as well as on the forum and on the site. HOWEVER... don't rely 100% on these for warnings. Contrary to things my closest friends say when they harass me, I do have a life, and sometimes that means I don't get to post weather warnings when they're issued. The most reliable weather warning device in this area is a NOAA Weather Radio with an alert feature. You can get them at Radio Shack and similar stores.

THANK YOU to all who have become fans of the WeatherCam on Facebook. As the number of Facebook fans grows, the number of daily hits on the BlackCatNH.com has gone up as well. That translates into more advertising revenue.

The ad revenue and donations help to keep the site running (there is always a "wish list" too.) Accurate weather equipment isn't cheap, and the weather sometimes gets the best of it. At this location power surges are common because it's exposed. Power outages are also common, and last summer your donations purchased a nice battery backup that keeps the weather station running for about 2 hours during an outage. The station's other battery, which backs up the camera and internet connection, is now up for replacement. I'm hoping to upgrade it rather than replace it, so the camera can stay "on the air" for longer during a power outage. Ad revenue and donations, as always, will be the deciding factor.

The water temp monitor recently failed again, for what reason I don't know. Sensatronics in Bow, N.H. replaced it free of charge once again, with few questions asked. They have been great supporters of the WeatherCam over the past 2 years and have been great to deal with. If you need realtime, online temperature monitoring, go to Sensatronics and tell them the Lake Winnipesaukee WeatherCam referred you. You can buy their stuff online, and you can also visit their facility on Rt. 3 in Bow, near Concord.

This location isn't Mount Washington, but it does take its toll on electronic equipment. That is where your support makes a difference in keeping the site going and the growing Facebook page is part of that.

Thank you all for your continued support.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
Bluebell (07-24-2009), trfour (07-24-2009)