Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
sa meredith

Default Question about marina valet service $$$$$$

I'm very curious...what has anyone heard regarding people renewing their yearly contracts for valet service at various marinas? And has anyone been able to make themselves a nice deal, as oppossed to the standard "here are the rates, you're lucky we happen to have an opening."
I recently renewed, after receiving the invoice, which included a price increase, and a letter stating the usual.."pay now, as we are on a wait list basis." Don't get me wrong, we are very happy with the marina and the service we receive, but I'm hearing several stories of people not renewing, and others even walking away from deposits they had previously paid.
I actually found one offering summer only service (May thru October) at $68 a foot. Pretty reasonable.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

"I actually found one offering summer only service (May thru October) at $68 a foot. Pretty reasonable."

In my opinion thats incredibly cheap for valet service for the entire season! I am paying about $125.00 for year round valet and winter storage which I thought was a good price!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
sa meredith

Default the same

$125 per for year round...that is EXACTLY what I am paying now. But, did no research this year...just paid it. Normally, happy to have a spot (at our marina of choice). It seems with things being the way they are now, there are actually deals to be had. I was blown away with the quote of $68. Almost cheap enought to look into moving and pulling it out in October, and find a place to winter it. $3000 vs. $1600. I guess the question becomes how much is convienece and "peace of mind" worth. Pulling it out, wrapping it, and finding a spot for it would certainly be time consuming and costly.... I am just surprised that there seems to be good availability this year, and actually deals to be had...although I am curious if anyone has actaully taken advantage of this, or if it is just hearsay... (although the $68 quote is real...I got it myself over the phone.)
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
chmeeee

Do you mind if I ask where that $68/foot quote was from? Good price!
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
TimmyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmeeee View Post
Do you mind if I ask where that $68/foot quote was from? Good price!
I just paid my Fay's bill of $2600 for the season. $2600/24ft boat = $108.33

I never shopped around. I ought a boat there(used) and that's that. I got a nice slip with a great view. Not that I am an authority on slips and view, but I like it.

TG
TimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
Wolfeboro_Baja

I'm curious; I tow my boat from home since I live about 45-50 minutes from Winni. What exactly IS valet service; what do you get for your money? I understand there may be minor details from one marina to another but I really don't know if it's something I want to consider, considering the price of gas for my truck (towing the boat, I only get about 9-10mpg, 13.5-14mpg when not towing).
Old 04-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
I'm curious; I tow my boat from home since I live about 45-50 minutes from Winni. What exactly IS valet service; what do you get for your money? I understand there may be minor details from one marina to another but I really don't know if it's something I want to consider, considering the price of gas for my truck (towing the boat, I only get about 9-10mpg, 13.5-14mpg when not towing).
Valet is when you rack store your boat, call ahead and its in the water when you arrive, no dock. You may consider dry (?) storage on your trailer, you pull the boat out and leave it there on the trailer. Ames has quite a few boats this way.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
robmac

Shep Browns offers both dry and valet at very affaordable rate,I used to Leave my boat dor dry storeage at Thurston but with the location the value of the area it was expensive.Dry storeage like valet you don't have to worry about your hull discoloring as when you slip or water store
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
Valet is when you rack store your boat, call ahead and its in the water when you arrive, no dock. You may consider dry (?) storage on your trailer, you pull the boat out and leave it there on the trailer. Ames has quite a few boats this way.
OK, thanks. I launch at Ames Farm now. I used to dry storage at Ames the first 3 yrs we owned a boat but somebody (I assume it was the renters of their cottages) kept throwing trash under my canvas and one time somebody stole something off the boat. That was the last year I stored there! Plus, in the 3 yrs we did store there, they doubled the rates!! I'm not sure why; it's not like the stored boats were in a fenced-in, locked area. Maybe if they had some security, I might still be storing there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
Shep Browns offers both dry and valet at very affaordable rate,I used to Leave my boat dor dry storeage at Thurston but with the location the value of the area it was expensive.Dry storeage like valet you don't have to worry about your hull discoloring as when you slip or water store
I definitely prefer dry storage! Like you said, you don't have to deal with hull discoloring and less chance of the gelcoat blistering. If you used to store at Thurston's, how did you get to your boat on motorcycle weekend? I always thought 4-wheeled vehicles were banned in that area on the weekend with only motorcycles being permitted there?
Old 04-24-2008, 06:45 AM   #10
robmac

When we were at Thurstons,for motorcycle week the bridge is open to all traffic till 8am then closes for 4whlrs.I guess for stores and vendors to restock.at the end of the day take the back way out down past Channel Marine. Never a problem and never any vandilism to truck or boat while stored there
Old 04-24-2008, 07:56 AM   #11
Silver Duck

I'll second the recomendation for Shep's. The racks are in fenced-in areas that are locked during off-hours, the area offers easy access to both open water (go out around the north end of Bear Island) or more sheltered areas (out past FL3), and the marina staff are great!

We keep our boat in a slip at Shep's (rack storing a cruiser kind'o defeats the purpose), but I know people tht use their valet service and havn't heard any complaints.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
kjbathe

Default $72/Foot

From the Fay's Website (http://faysboatyard.com/storage.html)... Summer Valet Storage - $72/Lineal foot.

We love the rack. One quick call on the way to the marina and the boat is waiting for us in the water. When we're done, they put it away until next time.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:03 PM   #13
KnotKnormal

Default $81/ft

We're paying $81/ft for a slip from a private owner. I looked into dry and rack storage but didn't like the 9 to 5 restrictions. If you wanted to stay out a little later to have dinner, you couldn't because you needed to get the boat into the marina. We are also always included in the social activities of the club which is non-existent for the valet crowd.

It's worth the extra $10/ft or a few hundred per season to give you the flexibility to be on the water whenever you want, IMHO.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:51 AM   #14
chmeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotKnormal View Post
We're paying $81/ft for a slip from a private owner. I looked into dry and rack storage but didn't like the 9 to 5 restrictions. If you wanted to stay out a little later to have dinner, you couldn't because you needed to get the boat into the marina.
At least with Channel, this is not a problem. If I come back after they've left for the night, I just leave it in the valet area at one of the docks (there's room for maybe 20 boats), and they put it away in the morning. Also, if I want to go out after they close, I just have to call them before 4:30 and let them know, they'll drop it in the water before they go home.
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #15
robmac

same for shep browns just let them know and never a problem,I've seen them at the gas docks early in the morning after being there all night