Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-06-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
scubajay1153

Default Wooden boats with a twist

While researching lobstering by scuba in Mass. I found a neat webpage that featured some electric wooden boats that look a lot like some of the gorgeous craft I have seen here on Winni and thought a few of you might get a kick out of them. Take a peek:

http://www.backcountryjournal.com/el...woodenboat.htm
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Misty Blue

Default Depth charges!!!

S Jay:

My pals and I used to dive for lobsters around cape Ann and Manchester, by the sea. My favorite tool was a coat hanger to "scoop 'em out".

Please, no kidding...Please watch out for the lobstermen.

I have had my car "keyed", my gear on the beach ransacked, my anchor line cut and had cinder blocks dropped on my bubble trail by lobstermen who thought that they owned a bit more of the ocean than we did. The law is no help. They are related...very, very... closely. We had to resort to leaving a topside watch in the boat to provide security. Fun stuff, Huh?

Good luck and if you get "stiffed" by clever crustations, stop by the Lake and we'll take a trip to the Weirs and get a lobster roll at Peppers! 'Hard to beat.

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
Resident 2B

Default Be safe

scubajay1153,

Misty Blue is 100% correct about lobstermen and the way they treat divers who are diving for lobsters. The lobstermen believe the divers are stealing from their traps or getting lobsters that would end up in their traps. Either way, they see you taking money out of their pockets. If you dive anywhere near traps, you are very likely to have a problem.

I used to dive in areas where there were no traps, but this was often very rocky and that presented problems as well with wave action and currents. I was skin diving and not using scuba, so I had to surface very often adding to the impact from the waves. There were many places to do this from Marblehead south to Nahant. Red Rock in Lynn was a good place with no lobstermen around. Now days, lobstermen are placing traps very close to the rocky areas I used to dive. Finding a safe place that will be productive will take some time and effort.

I used the stick method. The lobsters like to back into cracks. Go in with your hand and you will find a lobster, more like the lobster will find you. Gee, they hurt! If you put the stick into the crack, they will grab the stick and you can pull them out and grab then behind the claws. Lobsters are not too smart. Once they grab the stick, they hold on to it.

Good luck.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote