Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Rinkerguy

Default How High Will Gas Go by the End of the Weekend?

With Oil prices gaining $10.00+ today on the open market , how high will gas prices on and off the lake go

Gas in Concord was $3.89/Gal on Friday, where will it be Monday

When is this going to end
Rinkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
Ropetow

God only knows what the price on the lake (or off) will be soon. Was in Dover today and found a Getty station at $3.82! I filled that Ram up to the brim!
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
hockeypuck

Isn't it strange that we can buy all the gas we want at over $4.00 (close to $4.50 in CT) per gallon. In the 1973 gas crisis, there was a real shortage, many stations could not get gas and were closed. Regulations were imposed to purchase gas on odd or even number days. Some cities prohibited you from driving on Sunday. Today's crisis is mainly do to blood sucking speculators and not from any current shortage. This current situation is a real economic attack on our country causing both inflation and recession. Unless you have money to burn you will either drive less, or as most people have done, cut back on discretionary spending. That spending cut back means the loss of jobs in all sectors and business going under which creates less spending, more unemployment etc..... I don't proclaim to know the answer, but we as a country better figure it out. $5.00 per gallon is knocking on the door.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
Argie's Wife

As the US Dollar continues to fail, the price of oil only increases:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Look prices around $4.25 by the end of the month.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
Ropetow

Unhappy remember the past

And....we must not forget what has brought us to this point. Where would we be if the second Seabrook reactor was built? Where would we be if, like Sweden and France, 80% of our electricity was provided by nuclear power plants? Where would we be if the NIMBY's allowed reasonable wind-power facilities...e.g....Cape Cod, Kerry / Kennedy? Where would be if we began drilling in ANWR during the Clinton administration? Where would we be if we were allowed to drill for oil off the FL coast (Cuba and its friends already are)? Where would we be if it was allowable to build new refineries in the US? Where would we be if the auto industry (not just the US auto manufacturers) spent more time developing vehicles with better fuel economy than vehicles with more DVD players? (amazing to note that a compact pickup got better gas mileage 20-30 years ago than it does today....)

Let's just hope that the high fuel prices and the economy in general don't cause a hardship for those dependent on lakes region tourism.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
hockeypuck

Ropetow, I agree with you. We have been lead down a self destructive course. We have gridlock in Washington, regulatory committees, and the legal system. I am sure the things you mentioned could have been and should have been worked on 20 years ago. I am sure we have the technology to do much more in terms of nuclear, wind, and solar. Short term we could use our enormous supply of coal in this country to produce power. We must have or could develop technology to scrub out air pollution and capture CO2 emissions. No one wants refineries in their back yard, but President Bush (who I don't agree with most of the time) has suggested using closed government bases to build refineries on. Some of these bases are so large no one would even see the refinery. Punch some holes in Alaska and nationalize the oil produced to be used in the US. Every new home built should be mandated to have alternative energy incorporated into its' design. I could go on and on.
I apologize for the ramble.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
kjbathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeypuck View Post
I am sure the things you mentioned could have been and should have been worked on 20 years ago.
I just finished reading the Reagan diaries and was struck by how often I thought I was reading from one of today's news or magazine stories -- 20 years later, and DC is still wrangling over the very same issues, with the same arguments from both sides, and the same lack of action.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #8
Weekend Pundit

Default It's Deja Vu All Over Again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe View Post
I just finished reading the Reagan diaries and was struck by how often I thought I was reading from one of today's news or magazine stories -- 20 years later, and DC is still wrangling over the very same issues, with the same arguments from both sides, and the same lack of action.
It actually goes back farther than that. It's Back To The Future - the 1970's. Many proposed projects that would have lessened, if not eliminated our dependence on foreign sources of oil were on the slate just following the Arab Oil Embargo in 1973/1974. Then, once OPEC started shipping oil to the US, those projects languished or were killed outright. We are paying the price for that shortsightedness now. The blame goes equally to Congress and the President(s), and to both parties.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #9
fatlazyless

Default "Whatever It Takes"

Contrary to what I would have assumed, 4dollar gas sure did not stop the huge, fast boats off the water, yesterday. They were definately out on the water. Huge, fast, noisey, powerfull, as they thunder around. A forty foot cigarette roars out past Timber Island up on plane with only about 15' of hull actually in the water.

Whatever us go fast-be loud naysayers have to say about bad mouth'n these big bad boats, they are fun to watch....sort of like NASCAR on the water....rrrrrrrrooooaaaarrrr!

'Whatever It Takes' is the name on the stern of a 37' something white Cigarette. 'Whatever It Takes'...whats that mean?

Old 06-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
Chris Craft

As the third largest producer to oil in the world I would say that our dependence on forign oil is very low. We just happen to sell all our oil to other countries that are willing to pay more then we are/were/have been. So as our prices rise then we will actually use more of our own oil. Probelm is the dollar is so week that the euro buys more oil so it still goes offshore. Make the dollar strong again has to be the first step. Let all the people that are on Arm loans and bought more house then they could afford learn why you can not do that. The banks got greedy let them pay the price, customers got greedy they also need to pay the price. Sure should not be some one that bought what they could afford!!! Europeans have been paying these and higher prices for a LONG LONG time. I understand that they subsidise govt. spending with the price of fuel but not withstanding they have been paying these prices for a long time and there is no shortage of cars on the road over there. It only makes sence that these oil pukes would see this and realize that they can take us all for a good ride.

Waite tell you see the price of water when hydrogen fuel cells get figured out!!! Then gas will be practically free again. That is the good news about all this. It makes alternative energy more viable.
Chris Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #11
Chris Craft

Unfortunately NH legislature feels that renewable energy is less important then oh say a speed limit.... Check out how little you can get in incentives at the fallowing sites.

http://www.power-savetv.com/wind_pop.html

http://www.dsireusa.org/library/incl...e=US&RE=1&EE=1

I am VERY close to pulling the trigger on solar power for my houses.
Chris Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #12
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Craft View Post

Not sure how much research you've done, but solar is still very expensive with a very long payback time for small (residential) installations.

There are a number of companies working on some breakthrough solar technologies that we should see on the market in 5-6 years. Personally, I'm waiting a little longer...
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
masssteve

I'm impressed that Channel has keeped there prices down to a reasonable rate (all things considered). One would have to think that there just not marking there fuel up as much as usual to keep people on the water?? Looks like Thurston is $.30 more 100 yards away! and the usual $.50 cent price difference from water to land isn't close this year, luckily. If this is the case I'd like to be the first to say "thank you!" Channel.
masssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #14
hilltopper

Back to the original post....

Filled the Rav4 up Friday evening at the Irving in Meredith and paid 3.859.

Filled the Chevy truck up on Saturday morning (same place) and paid 3.979.

I'm curious to see what oil pre-buy offers are going to be in July. Probably at least $4.50? With a 200 year old farmhouse and a 150 mile/day commute, I'm a slave to Big Oil...

hilltopper
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #15
hockeypuck

Well the weekend is over. What price did we hit? In ten years the people will be saying they only paid $4.00 back in 2008.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #16
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post

Filled the Rav4 up Friday evening at the Irving in Meredith and paid 3.859.

Filled the Chevy truck up on Saturday morning (same place) and paid 3.979.

I'm curious to see what oil pre-buy offers are going to be in July. Probably at least $4.50? With a 200 year old farmhouse and a 150 mile/day commute, I'm a slave to Big Oil...

hilltopper
There comes a time when you seriously need to consider a new job or move. You sound like your at that point. Yeah, I realize easy for me to say but 150 miles a day! YIKES.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
Jeti

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Craft View Post
Unfortunately NH legislature feels that renewable energy is less important then oh say a speed limit.... Check out how little you can get in incentives at the fallowing sites.

http://www.power-savetv.com/wind_pop.html

http://www.dsireusa.org/library/incl...e=US&RE=1&EE=1

I am all about solar, and Geo Thermal... We could heat and cool and light all our homes for almost nothing per year with these outstanding technologies, It blows my mind that the government will not endorse or provide affordable programs to get more people on this. .... Also the price points need to make sense... Our government let us down with allowing Arab oil to keep us hooked..

We are now in trouble.. I see that there is technology that allows us to use water for fuel for car engines!!! We can put men on the moon.. But we have to use all this oil....

come on people how long will we live the lie!!!!!
Jeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #18
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
There comes a time when you seriously need to consider a new job or move. You sound like your at that point. Yeah, I realize easy for me to say but 150 miles a day! YIKES.
I commute 100 miles round trip. I used to say that my cutoff gas price was $3.25. Once it hit that, I figured no problem, just get a new job closer to home.
Unfortunately it is not that easy. Jobs in my field (pharmaceuticals) are not that easy to find in NH. Moving further south would have me in a more expensive home, so there isn't much of a net gain. I am not sure what the breakeven point would be, I haven't got that far...yet.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #19
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post

With a 200 year old farmhouse ... I'm a slave to Big Oil...

hilltopper
Your farmhouse pre-dates the oil era and maybe even coal. How did they heat it back then?

A LOT of people are getting out the history books to see which "tried and true" technologies from great-grandpa's notebook would be useful today, and which ones to consider for next year if the price keeps going up.

Since the question of the thread is, "how high will gas prices go?" I'll provide a bit of caution: Hurricane season just began, and we got the first named storm in the Gulf of Mexico a day before the season officially began. What kind of season it will be is anyone's guess but current indications don't support a quiet one. We know that past hurricanes have sent gas prices rising by knocking out ocean rigs and coastal refineries. It took a while to get those things fixed and we paid higher prices for a reduced supply while we were waiting.

If a major hurricane so much as forms and looks like it's going to go into the Gulf of Mexico, the Wall Street oil buyers will go nuts and bid up the price.

Current predictions (as broadcast on NBC's Today Show this morning) are for $5/gallon gas by July 4. If that proves true, and then a hurricane comes along, we'd easily be looking at $6/gallon within a few days of the storm, and if the hurricane actually did damage the oil industry, the price wouldn't come back down, either. If the storm re-curved out to sea safely, the "storm price" would probably come back down to the normal everyday bloodsucking price.

Advice: Keep your eyes on the satellite picture and start forming a financial plan for the day you see a hurricane in it.

Funny, as I write this, WHOM is playing Martina McBride's song, "Anyway." The lyrics seems so appropriate:

You can spend your whole life building
Something from nothin'
One storm can come and blow it all away
Build it anyway

You can chase a dream
That seems so out of reach
And you know it might not ever come your way
Dream it anyway

God is great
But sometimes life ain't good
And when I pray
It doesn't always turn out like I think it should
But I do it anyway
I do it anyway

This world's gone crazy
It's hard to believe
That tomorrow will be better than today
Believe it anyway

Here, watch the music video on YouTube.... it's VERY good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FdB5Adws78

Last edited by CanisLupusArctos; 06-09-2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: to add hope
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #20
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
Your farmhouse pre-dates the oil era and maybe even coal. How did they heat it back then?
Trees...

lots of trees (cords) for cooking and heating...
Old 06-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #21
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post

My wife and I both have Engineering jobs in Southern NH. We'd take a bigger hit financially by switching jobs than remaining where we are and paying the gas prices.

We're looking, though. The idea was to move north first (which we did last May) and then look for jobs closer to home next.

The 2.5 hours spent on the road every day is more of a motivation to switch jobs than the $22/day we spend on gas (assuming $4/gallon) every day.

That being said, what are some of the better companies in the area to work at if you have an Industrial Engineering degree and 10 years of experience?

hilltopper
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote