Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
bilproject

Default boat registration

I am trying to find out where to register a boat. NH DMV web site says I have to go to Concord which seems crazy. Any help? The boat has an NJ title will I have to change that to NH? I'm leaving the boat in NH year round. Thanks in advance for any help someone can provide.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
offmycloud

Call Independent Marine in Moultonborough - 476-5580. They will do it for you I think.
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Kamper

What town are you in? Any DMV office that does plates should be able to register your boat. Many town clerks can do it too. A lot of places that are agents for hunting and fishing licenses can also register boats.

The state wants you to go through them because they keep the "agent" portion of the fee. You might want to go that route if your town does not have any boat related expenses. You'll know your funds will chip in to the programs you use.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
kchace

Default It depends

If your boat has already been registered in the state and you just need to renew, you can do it by mail, go to any town clerk that does boat regs (they don't all), go to the main office in Concord, or one of the satellite branches.

If your boat has never been registered in the state you need to go to Concord or one of the satellite offices.

http://www.dmv.org/nh-new-hampshire/...gistration.php

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/d...locations.html

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Dave M

FYI, if your new to NH boating you have to have a boating certificate this year.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
bilproject

This boat has never been registered in NH. I have boater saftey certs from several states including NH and a Boat endorsement on my NJ drivers license which is required on inland non tidal waters down here. My place is in Meredith. Can the town clerk do a new registration? That was not clear on the State Web site. I'd like to get this thing registered without a trip up and before ice out and salmon fishing. To much trouble then I'll register it down here and it will have to take that plutonic trip out of state every 29 days.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
jrc

Meredith Marina can register it, it say so on their website. Most marina do boat registrations but call to be sure.

I'm sure they even have the letters and numbers to stick on the hull.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Island Girl

Default Vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Meredith Marina can register it, it say so on their website. Most marina do boat registrations but call to be sure.

I'm sure they even have the letters and numbers to stick on the hull.
As long as your boat has a hull number and you can register at many local marinas...

If you do not have a hull number.. (very very old boat) you have to have a bill of sale and go to have it inspected (only to look for lack of hull number) by marine patrol and get a piece of paper saying it was inspected. You MUST have a bill of sale even if you have had the boat forever. They are looking for evidence of a stolen boat with the hull number removed.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
lakershaker

Default If it already has numbers...

If you want to try and reuse the NJ xxxx xx bow numbers you already have, try the main boat desk in Concord. If those numbers have not already been assigned, they can give them to you, and you'd only have to replace the "J" with an "H". Otherwise, if you register it at a marina, you would have to change all the bow numbers to whichever they have on the registration forms.

Also, since you already have a title in NJ, that should suffice for registration. NH does not title boats...
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #10
Gavia immer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilproject View Post
I am trying to find out where to register a boat. NH DMV web site says I have to go to Concord which seems crazy. Any help? The boat has an NJ title will I have to change that to NH? I'm leaving the boat in NH year round. Thanks in advance for any help someone can provide.
Is the title in your name? You'll need a bill of sale otherwise.
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #11
fatlazyless

The Marine Patrol in Gilford is happy to do a boat registration.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #12
steadyon

Hi,
and don't forget, this year you have to include your boater safety cert. #
on your NH registration in order to register your boat!
steadyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
fpartri497

Default 08 boat regestration

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyon View Post
Hi,
I regestered my boat for 08 two weeks ago at the DMV, only because I live about a mile away, so Its convienent for me. I was never asked for my boater cert. # at any time.

cheers
Old 03-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #14
Rattlesnake Guy

Default Did you know

I register my boats in my home town. My understanding is that the town gets to keep the money it collects. It may be a small thing but anything to reduce my taxes is worth making this simple choice.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #15
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
I register my boats in my home town. My understanding is that the town gets to keep the money it collects. It may be a small thing but anything to reduce my taxes is worth making this simple choice.
Hope you will remember to be the last to complain when MP is slow to setting buoys, quick to pulling bouys, or coming to your rescue, should the deed be necessary and their budget tight, too tight to accomodate your desires.

Hint...
Old 03-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #16
AC2717

Default Sorry

Quote:
Hi,
This is not true, I am sorry, I registered last week it was not asked, maybe they look it up at the registry under the boat owner's name.
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:13 AM   #17
chipj29

Quote:
Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
I regestered my boat for 08 two weeks ago at the DMV, only because I live about a mile away, so Its convienent for me. I was never asked for my boater cert. # at any time. cheers

I registered by mail back in December, and there was no requirement to add my boater safety cert # to the registration.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:19 AM   #18
kjbathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC... View Post
Hope you will remember to be the last to complain when MP is slow to setting buoys, quick to pulling bouys, or coming to your rescue, should the deed be necessary and their budget tight, too tight to accomodate your desires.

Hint...
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I may very well be on this point), but isn't the whole rub about Concord wanting you to register there just about stripping towns of the agent fee and putting that money into some state general bucket? I believe that registering in Concord has no direct impact on the Marine Patrol budget, it just takes money out of the towns. It's a classic money-grab by the State.

Personally, I register our boat with the Gilford Town Clerk. It keeps the money out of Concord and puts it into a town that provides direct services to boaters and island property owners (e.g. the town docks, trash collection, Gilford Fire boat, etc...). That's win-win to me.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #19
fatlazyless

Default ,,,something new this year!

New this year, as an incentive to take your boat registration to the little, walk-in, service window at the Marine Patrol Headquarters in Gilford, you get a '20mph-off coupon.' To be used to lower the radar measured speed on your first speeding ticket, and effectively erase a 65mph ticket!. Is that an incentive, or what?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #20
Skip

Unhappy Can we keep it on focus here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
New this year, as an incentive to take your boat registration to the little, walk-in, service window at the Marine Patrol Headquarters in Gilford, you get a '20mph-off coupon.' To be used to lower the radar measured speed on your first speeding ticket, and effectively erase a 65mph ticket!. Is that an incentive, or what?
FLL,

Don has been very patient and understanding in keeping open a specific and limited subforum for the speed limit debate. Can you please keep your comments regarding same over there so the rest of us can read, enjoy and respond to the pertinent topic at hand?

Thanks.....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #21
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC... View Post
Hope you will remember to be the last to complain when MP is slow to setting buoys, quick to pulling buoys, or coming to your rescue, should the deed be necessary and their budget tight, too tight to accomodate your desires.

Hint...
Well played. Not sure how leaving the solar lights out and preforming the task later in the year has any impact on the budget but I am sure there is one. Maybe we can start up an adopt a light program and cut the budget with the savings of not having to put them in our out at all.

I checked yesterday and my small town took in nearly 10K in boat registrations in 07.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #22
Skip

Exclamation Adopt-a-light? Fantastic idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
... Maybe we can start up an adopt a light program and cut the budget with the savings of not having to put them in our out at all...
Wow, that really is a fantastic idea!

It might not be feasible for individuals to do actual maintenance, but why not a program where individuals, families or businesses could "adopt" markers or lights and receive some sort of recognition for financially donating to the maintenance and upkeep of a nav marker?

You're a highly resourceful guy RG....is that something you might think you would consider pursuing???

This could also be a very worthwhile cause for members of both the NHRBA & WINFABS to explore.

You just may have started something truly revolutionary here RG!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #23
Ropetow

Question certificate/license?

Quote:
Hi,
Hmmm...I re-registered mine in December and they never asked for the number. BUT my brother-in-law is going to register his boat in NH this year, since he now does most of his boating here anyway. He lives in Hinsdale (on the VT border) and has a VT license since he and the family did most of their boating there until last year. They weren't required (at least not a few years ago (but he and the Mrs. got theirs when they had the kids get licensed. I think he said the license was from the VT State Police. Hmmmmm...(again)....I wonder if he needs to get a NH license now? He checked last year and was told his VT license was good to operate here. But I wonder if it is good for a NH resident to register and operate his boat here? Another loophole/snafu?
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote