Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-25-2007, 12:27 PM   #101
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander
It would be nice if the world were sensible and considerate.

I live in the real world where a percentage are users and abusers. They think the world owes them. Because of this minority we need laws, police and no rafting zones.
In other words, punish the properly behaving majority for the wrongful actions of the minority.

It would be nice if the world were sensible and considerate, you say...
Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #102
GWC...

Lightbulb Just a reminder for those who care...

STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
DEPARTMENT OF SAFETY
NOTICE OF HEARING
PURSUANT TO RSA 270:43, A PUBLIC HEARING ON A PETITION TO PROHIBIT AND/OR
RESTRICT RAFTING OF BOATS IN LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE, EAST COVE ON LONG
ISLAND WILL BE HELD ON FRIDAY, AUGUST 31, 2007 AT 1:00 PM.
THE HEARING WILL BE CONDUCTED AT THE MOULTONBOROUGH TOWN OFFICES,
MOULTONBOROUGH, NEW HAMPSHIRE
THE SPECIFIC RESTRICTION REQUESTED IS TO ADOPT A RULE PROHIBITING RAFTING IN
ALL OF EAST COVE ON LONG ISLAND, LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE. THE SPECIFIC AREA
REQUESTED TO BE DESIGNATED IS A COVE SITUATED ON THE EASTERN SIDE OF LONG
ISLAND AT ABOUT THE MIDPOINT; WEST ACROSS FROM LITTLE BEAR ISLAND AND
SARAH'S POINT; AND EAST OF THE SOUTHERLY SHORES AREA OF LONG ISLAND.
LOCATED ON TAX MAP #4, AREAS 280 AND 281 OF THE TOWN OF MOULTONBOROUGH
AND IS ABUTTED BY LOTS 80, 79, 79A, 79B, 78, 76, 76B, AND 74C.
TESTIMONY WILL BE ALLOWED THAT IS RELEVANT TO THE FOLLOWING ISSUES:
(1) THE SIZE OF THE BODY OF WATER OR PORTION THEREOF FOR WHICH
RULEMAKING ACTION IS BEING CONSIDERED.
(2) THE EFFECT WHICH ADOPTING OR NOT ADOPTING THE RULE (S) WOULD HAVE
UPON:
(A) PUBLIC SAFETY;
(B) THE MAINTENANCE OF RESIDENTIAL, RECREATIONAL, AND
SCENIC VALUES;
(C) THE VARIETY OF USES OF SUCH BODY OF WATER OR PORTION
THEREOF;
(D) THE ENVIRONMENT AND WATER QUALITY;
(E) THREATENED AND ENDANGERED SPECIES.
(3) THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE AFFECTED, EITHER DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, BY
ADOPTING OR NOT ADOPTING THE RULE(S); AND
(4) THE AVAILABILITY AND PRACTICALITY OF ENFORCEMENT OF THE RULE(S).
PERSONS WISHING TO TESTIFY ARE URGED TO COORDINATE THEIR TESTIMONY TO
AVOID UNNECESSARY DUPLICATION OR REPETITION OF TESTIMONY. THE
DEPARTMENT WITHIN A PERIOD OF SEVEN (7) DAYS SUBSEQUENT TO THE
SCHEDULED HEARING MUST RECEIVE SUBMISSION OF WRITTEN MATERIAL.
AUTHORITY FOR HEARING: RSA 270:12, RSA 270:43, SAF-C 407 AND SAF-C 409.
JOHN J. BARTHELMES, COMMISSIONER,
DEPARTMENT OF SAFETY, STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
BY: C. N. DUCLOS, BUREAU CHIEF
DEPARTMENT OF SAFETY, BUREAU OF HEARINGS,
33 HAZEN DRIVE, CONCORD, NH 03305
TEL # 603-271-3486
EMAIL: SAFETY-HEARINGS@SAFETY.STATE.NH.US
SPEECH/HEARING IMPAIRED HELP LINE TTY/TDD RELAY:
1-800-735-2964

URL:http://www.nh.gov/safety/news/docume..._NoRafting.pdf
Old 09-03-2007, 06:28 AM   #103
TomC

Default so...

...what happened at the hearing?
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #104
sum-r breeze

Default East Cove

I know Tom C asked....But I'll ask again. Does anyone know what happened at the hearing??? I wrote a lengthy EMail to the administrator of the hearing, I don't know how much that's worth. I have to work to afford my place in NH and to feed my boating addiction, so a Friday meeting was not attendable for me.

Regards,
The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be waving back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:52 PM   #105
Rattlesnake Guy

Default I have a question.

Is a no rafting zone a "preferred" anchoring spot? A place where folks wanted to raft because it was attractive to do so but now less crowded because they can't? Anyone have a map showing these areas that might be attractive to single boats? This might free up space in other areas for the people who want to raft. Everything has an equilibrium.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #106
Airwaves

Default So, who gets to give their opinion on this?

IIs this an issue that Non-resident property owners have a say in, or is this a voters only issue?

It seems to me that if non-resident, taxypayer, property owners can't vote in elections or have no say in policy, then why should they be allowed to file a petition changing the make-up of the use of the lake?

Or was this petition exclusivly the work of permanent residents of the area?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:55 AM   #107
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy
Is a no rafting zone a "preferred" anchoring spot? A place where folks wanted to raft because it was attractive to do so but now less crowded because they can't? Anyone have a map showing these areas that might be attractive to single boats? This might free up space in other areas for the people who want to raft. Everything has an equilibrium.
They aren't less crowded, probably more crowded now. The boats are now anchored a few feet apart rather than tied a foot apart so there's less "open" space. The spacing is supposed to be 25' but it seems to be universally ignored (by boaters and MP). It's one of those "seemed like a good idea at the time" laws that's failed to have the desired effect.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:01 AM   #108
AC2717

Default Second this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
They aren't less crowded, probably more crowded now. The boats are now anchored a few feet apart rather than tied a foot apart so there's less "open" space. The spacing is supposed to be 25' but it seems to be universally ignored (by boaters and MP). It's one of those "seemed like a good idea at the time" laws that's failed to have the desired effect.
I was out there last Monday,
Will not mention where, I pulled up to a nice open spot near an old sea ray cruiser that was anchored, I was about 30 feet away from them or so, I anchored, set my stern anchor and then in a couple of minutes all of a sudden I see the two boats closer and closer together, so I thought one of my anchors released so I went scurrying with bumpers to prevent anything, Looked an both my lines were tight and holding strong. Then I looked at the cruiser, they guy was only running a bow anchor, so they I asked him after he heard me making noise to help because we were going to hit if he had a stern anchor, his answer, well I was just going with the wind, I picked up and moved about 60 feet away, but because of that the guy took up almost the whole side of the sand bar because he was swinging with the wind, how rude! many came close to him set up and then saw he had not stern anchor and then had to move, there was about 12 boats on one side and then him on the other by himself, I think he wanted it that way.
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:54 AM   #109
chmeeee

The Bizer map shows no rafting zones. Thats how I found most of the places that I go to anchor/swim. Ironic, isn't it?
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:26 AM   #110
jrc

In the same train of thought as Chmeeee, I never tried East Cove before, I'll have to try it out. Now that I know exactly where it is.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #111
Nauset

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg
If you and your friends would like to raft inside our club, come on over. However since you would then be in violation of the 150 ft from property rule, we would have to call the marine patrol (who by the way is who you should call if you have a "problem" with rafters in front of your property.
Maybe someone could clear up some confusion I'm having. I know that most of the designated no-rafting zones have a '150 from shore rule and there is a rule for headway speed within '150 feet of everything except a marker or a fish. But, I have never heard of a rule of no-rafting within '150 of all property on the lake. If someone could post that law here it would be helpful to boaters as most believe as I do that rules on rafting and anchoring apply to no-rafting zones.
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #112
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default I will ask again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze
I know Tom C asked....But I'll ask again. Does anyone know what happened at the hearing??? I wrote a lengthy EMail to the administrator of the hearing, I don't know how much that's worth. I have to work to afford my place in NH and to feed my boating addiction, so a Friday meeting was not attendable for me.

Regards,
The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be waving back

Has anybody heard anything about the Hearing?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #113
jrc

I can not find a law or rule that says you cannot anchor near shore outside of designated no rafting zones.

There are rules about anchoring in mooring fields, or indirectly addressing anchoring within swim lines. There are lots of mooring rules. I'm sure you can't anchor such that you block navigation. In general you can anchor anywhere you want to, unless one of these rules apply.

I personally don't anchor where I will be a nusiance to shorefront dwellers. Of course that's a subjective judgement.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #114
mwl

I agree, just like everything else in this world. It only takes a few jerks to ruin it for the rest.

However, there are several coves my family and I have frequented since the 60's. We'd drop anchor, have lunch, fish and swim all afternoon while enjoying the untouched natural shorline. Now many of these coves have had their natural shorlines destroyed. Dozens of trees have been cut down and it's riddled with large homes. Some of my favorite Bass fishing spots have now been replaced with a large dock or beach. I don't visit these overdeveloped coves any longer. Some posts have targeted boats as a cause of erosion. Development and rain storms cause erosion - not waves. After we've enjoyed a day on the lake, we leave it exactly as we found it.

Most of the posts from anti-rafting people claim to love the natural beauty of the lake and how boaters are runing their lake experience.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
mwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #115
Little Bear

Question Not erosion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwl
Some posts have targeted boats as a cause of erosion. Development and rain storms cause erosion - not waves.
If waves don't cause erosion, then what does one call the damage done to the shoreline by large waves, including - but not limited to collapsing walls, soils sucked into the lake and undermining of the shoreline 2-3 feet? This damage is specifically done by waves from large cruisers, so if it's not called erosion, then please tell me the appropriate terminology.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #116
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear
This damage is specifically done by waves from large cruisers, so if it's not called erosion, then please tell me the appropriate terminology.

Why are all the damaging waves caused by boats?

Seems to me God does a pretty good job with his wind whipped waves especially on the Northern sides Bear, Diamond, Rattlesnake -- along the shores of Gilford and let's not leave out where I am, the South -SouthEastern end of Merideth Bay.

Food for discussion at next Sunday's Mass.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:20 PM   #117
jrc

I'm surprised, but according to most sources I've check with a google search, this from MSN Encarta is a the typical definition:

Erosion, removal of rock and soil material by natural processes, principally running water, glaciers, waves, and wind.

Any human contribution is usually blamed on removal of vegetation, like trees and grass.

There is no single word for damage to shorelines structures caused by boat wakes. How about "wake damage"?

Or be more to the point, just call it bad stuff caused by things I don't like.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #118
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
Why are all the damaging waves caused by boats?

Seems to me God does a pretty good job with his wind whipped waves especially on the Northern sides Bear, Diamond, Rattlesnake -- along the shores of Gilford and let's not leave out where I am, the South -SouthEastern end of Merideth Bay.

Food for discussion at next Sunday's Mass.
Phantom, I agree that the areas you mentioned are subject to large waves from natural causes. However, the area where I live is protected and I have rarely seen a natural wave cause any type of erosion, due to the relatively short fetch in front of my house. However the man-made waves are huge. After a cruiser goes by, it's really amazing to see all the clumps of grass and soil in the water. Again, if this is not "erosion" than I don't know what is.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #119
mwl

My point is that if your NATURAL shorline had not been destroyed and replaced with grass & sand, waves from wind, boats or whatever would not cause any damage. Please take a look at some natural shorline and see what is there and how waves do not afftect it.

You'll probalbly have to look elsewhere other than the area you have your house to find some. One of the islands such as Stonedam is a good example. We're fortunate that there are still some areas protected from overdevelopment the boating public can still enjoy.

I just can't understand how some property owners can come up here, destroy (and I mean destroy) the natural beauty of the lake and then have the nerve to complain about boaters who only make waves.
mwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #120
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwl
My point is that if your NATURAL shorline had not been destroyed and replaced with grass & sand, waves from wind, boats or whatever would not cause any damage. Please take a look at some natural shorline and see what is there and how waves do not afftect it.

You'll probalbly have to look elsewhere other than the area you have your house to find some. One of the islands such as Stonedam is a good example. We're fortunate that there are still some areas protected from overdevelopment the boating public can still enjoy.

I just can't understand how some property owners can come up here, destroy (and I mean destroy) the natural beauty of the lake and then have the nerve to complain about boaters who only make waves.
My shoreline is natural - never been replaced with grass and/or sand. Only thing I did was to build a perched beach in accordance with DES regs, but the natural shoreline had to remain virtually untouched. All of the natural, untouched shoreline has been seriously eroded; not by waves from wind, but rather by waves from huge cruisers. There is not enough fetch in front of my house for waves from wind to get any larger than 12 inches at the most. The erosion of the land is substantially higher up the slope from the waterline and no wave from wind could ever reach this high. If I get out there this weekend I'll take some pictures and post them here so you can see for yourself.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #121
TomC

Default such hypocrisy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwl
and I can't understand why some boaters think its OK to artificially generate damaging waves via a mechanical contrivance, but draw the line at a property owner changing the shorefront with docks, beaches, etc...

Either everyone goes all natural and you can boat by unmolested shorefronts paddling in your hollowed-out tree canoe, or you accept that man modifies his environment and compromises between all users of the lake must be made...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #122
sum-r breeze

Default Again

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED AT THE HEARING??!!!!!!!!!!!

The Breeze
Old 10-10-2007, 11:54 PM   #123
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED AT THE HEARING??!!!!!!!!!!!

The Breeze
I couldn't find any results on this by doing a search. However I did find a web page where I believe it will show up once it is published.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/h...craft2007.html

I also looked back at a few previous years and it appears back in 2005 a similar petitions was filed for East Cove and was denied......
Old 10-11-2007, 04:53 AM   #124
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear
"...There is not enough fetch in front of my house for waves from wind to get any larger than 12 inches at the most. The erosion of the land is substantially higher up the slope from the waterline and no wave from wind could ever reach this high..."
I have the same situation at my place.

What's causing it is erosion of soil and duff along the shoreline. Rainfall naturally moves "makeup dirt" from uphill down to the water, where it is again eroded.

My neighbors—who have few trees left and steeper lots—have a much worse problem. They've had to dredge their dock areas twice to keep their boats from hitting the bottom. (And they have 50' docks).
Old 10-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #125
SIKSUKR

I think mwl AND little bear have valid points even though they are conflicting.Shorefront that is naturally exposed to wind driven waves do appear to have natural rocky shores that protect from the same.Take a look at the western shore of Timber.Conversely,smaller coves that never recieve wind driven waves don't have that rocky shore in general.When manmade wakes constantly pound these areas,they are destructive for sure.Without constant manmade fixes to ward off the destruction of the waves,the shoreline will erode and would eventually get to rocky shore barriers.But at the cost of the property owners land?There in lies the rub.I can certainly understand both sides of this one.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:41 PM   #126
sum-r breeze

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
I couldn't find any results on this by doing a search. However I did find a web page where I believe it will show up once it is published.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/h...craft2007.html

I also looked back at a few previous years and it appears back in 2005 a similar petitions was filed for East Cove and was denied......
Thanks for the link! I'll keep checking through the Fall. I'm glad they were denied in 05 let's hope for the same outcome this round.

The Breeze
Wave cuz I'll be Wavin' back
Old 10-29-2007, 09:12 PM   #127
sum-r breeze

Default Another Blow To Our Freedom....

I hope the people in East Cove are happy that they got their "No Rafting" Zone approved. I used to think the interests of the many outweighed the influence of the few but I am sadly mistaken. New Hampshire hasn't learned the lesson of Cape Cod...If you treat the tourists like crap they won't come back. The more stuff you take away from the Boaters (speed limits, no rafting zones, no jet skis, no boat rentals) the less boaters you'll have. That's more than likely what they want.....but beware of the backlash. Empty slips, low gas sales all around the lake, low boat sales, low restaurant attendence, Vacancy signs lit at all the Hotels, the list goes on and on. Then we'll here Channel 9 news tell us that tourism in lakes region is off by 40% and everybody will be shrugging their shoulders trying to figure out why. Remember these words" Beware of the Backlash" it's already started.
The Breeze
Old 10-29-2007, 11:27 PM   #128
LIforrelaxin

Default A second blow

Upon looking at the web page I also noticed that a second cove in Meredith was also made a no rafting zone. Advent cove ...... I am not really sure where this cove is, or how busy of a place it is but it has appearently met the same fate as East Cove.

Personally I have no stake in the game, but it is unfortunate that they are making things difficult on the day boaters.....
Old 10-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #129
SIKSUKR

Advent cove is just west/northwest of Pine Island.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #130
Taz

Default East Cove

I know several boaters who frequent East Cove myself included. I don't think we will stop going there. The Only difference will be that we will now be tied in 2's. It may even be worse now because we will be more spread out.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #131
jrc

Actually it sounds like great place, I'll try it next year. I don't like to raft that much any, to risky for the boat finish.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #132
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
Actually it sounds like great place, I'll try it next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
I know several boaters who frequent East Cove myself included. I don't think we will stop going there. The Only difference will be that we will now be tied in 2's. It may even be worse now because we will be more spread out.
And perhaps that is the ultimate way to stop the creation of new No rafting zone shenanigans.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #133
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy
And perhaps that is the ultimate way to stop the creation of new No rafting zone shenanigans.
I doubt it....in fact after this ruling East cove continues to fill up I would imagine they land owners will move onto a new tactic.....

Although knowing the cove, and assuming the MP comes in and starts ticketing people.... there really won't be room for many boats.....
Old 11-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #134
Airwaves

Default Does anyone really know?

In post #106 I asked the question.

Who has the right to petition for these changes? Residents only, Resident taxpayers only, Real Estate owners, Resident real estate taxpayers only, abuttors, resident abuttors only....who?

Who gets to petiton the state for changes in designation of the state waterways, or who is excluded from petitions?

No one responded, so does anyone know?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #135
Skip

Wink Yes, I know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves
In post #106 I asked the question.

Who has the right to petition for these changes? Residents only, Resident taxpayers only, Real Estate owners, Resident real estate taxpayers only, abuttors, resident abuttors only....who?

Who gets to petiton the state for changes in designation of the state waterways, or who is excluded from petitions?

No one responded, so does anyone know?
If there is an applicable Lake Association, 25 members of that association regardless of their residency status.

Otherwise, a combination of 25 folks that either declare the particular town as their residency or are property owners in that particular town.

For further review:

Saf-C 414.02 Petition for Assisted Lake Protection.

(a) Any lakes association with 25 or more members, or group of 25 or more residents or property owners in a town or towns in which a lake is located may petition the commissioner to designate that lake for assisted protection, including an order specifying how the petitioners or the lake association which they represent may, consistent with applicable law, assist the department in the department’s efforts to regulate the operation of boats on the subject lake as specified in Saf-C 414.08.

I thought that maybe you were contacting the good folks at NHMP and awaiting thier response to share with us....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #136
Airwaves

Default Not for that

I wouldn't bother the folks at NHMP for something that! I felt pretty certain the answer could be found here on the forum Just looking for an RSA or other applicable numer, thanks!

Interesting that they allow us out of state taxpayers to get involved in something like this.

As for my suggestion about putting AToN changes on their website, it's not something that I am personally concerned with since I pulled our boat a while back so I was recommending to folks that are concerned it could be something they might want to approach the director about.