Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-25-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
PaulS

Default Propeller Repair

With the lake level so low, I found out after 7 years that there's a tree stump in the middle of my slip. So, any recommendations for local propeller repair? Both of the stainless steel props on a Volvo-Penta duoprop are just slightly bent, but enough to cause the boat to vibrate under way. Has anyone had any experience with New England Propeller (www.neprop.com) or www.propmd.com? Thanks for your help.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
Dave R

I've used New England Props in the past. No complaints, but you may be able to do better by shopping around on the net. There's some shops that'll not only repair the damage, but will also blueprint the props and polish too as part of their service. Now (instead of July) is a great time to be looking for prop repair...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Charlie T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS
With the lake level so low, I found out after 7 years that there's a tree stump in the middle of my slip. So, any recommendations for local propeller repair? Both of the stainless steel props on a Volvo-Penta duoprop are just slightly bent, but enough to cause the boat to vibrate under way. Has anyone had any experience with New England Propeller (www.neprop.com) or www.propmd.com? Thanks for your help.

I've and several people I know have used New England Prop before. I've been very unhappy with their repairs. Though the props look ok when done, I've found that performance has dropped a great deal on the repaired unit. On my old 235 Chap with a Alpha drive and a Merc Aluminum prop I lost over 5 mph from original to repaired on the same prop. Others I know have had similar experiences.
In my experience if you want a good prop repair look where the HI Performance boat guys (girls) get their props done. I searched the ""offshoreonly.com" site and found many good prop shops. Most have been in Florida, go figure. The extra few days wait for transit time is worth it.
I have personally used these people and been thrilled with their work. Great service and performance.
Kevin Arrant
GENERAL PROPELLER
1410 8TH AVENUE EAST
BRADENTON, FLORIDA 34208

If you use Kevin, tell him Charlie T from Mass referred you.

Good Luck
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
AC2717

Default Some needed information

The previous owner of my boat, had a prop in the bow compartment. I pulled it out and the pitch is correct and a very heavy prop i am guessing stainless steel (but it is painted black), but on one of the fins there is a ding. The current prop is not in that great of shape either.
I was told to hold onto it and it can be repair and it would be a lot better than what is already on the stern drive. 260 horse 5.7 liter with a OMC outdrive.

Any idea on what the average prop repair price is? and what is involved in the repair, I would think a filing down and a sharpening (maybe to repair the ding the bend it back or weld a new piece in there?) was interested in sending down to Florida to the person that Charlie T recommended here.
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
White Rook
Deceased Member

Default Prop Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS
Hello Fellow Boater,

When my 35' Chris-Craft was at Irwin's during winter storage a few years ago, they advised me that although the props weren't actually damaged, they were spooned somewhat. They removed them and sent them to H & H Propeller (http://www.hhprop.com/). When they were shipped back to the marina, they were recon'd perfectly and the bronze finish was like a mirror. I'd recommend them.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Well, I guess my name says it all.......

Don't have experience with stainless props, just aluminum, but I'd recommend Tacoma Propellers in Tacoma Washington. http://www.tacomapropeller.com/

Last year was our first year boating, and I managed to chew up two aluminum props. After the first one I found Tacoma Propellers on the web. Their price was the best I could find and I bought a new prop from them, then proceeded to grind that one up a couple of weeks later. Decided rebuilding was the way to go. Especially after my trusty navigator, the vivacious Rag Top Daze, threatened to start displaying the broken props on the front porch, using them as flower pots!

They redid both props For $120 which included the return UPS ground shipping. They were friendly and easy to work with and did an excellent job on the props and shipped them back quickly.

They are over on the other side of the earth, but I'd use them again, although my navigator's skills do seem to be improving!

Good luck!
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Dave R

I've used H&H too. Nice work.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:02 PM   #8
TomC

Default most local marinas send prop repairs to H&H

they have the whole northeast sewn up with shops in Maine and Mass. They do good work
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:40 AM   #9
Blue Thunder

Default H&H is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
they have the whole northeast sewn up with shops in Maine and Mass. They do good work
They're the best, hands down. Shops in Salem, Mass and Portland, Maine. Be prepared to part with some significant $$$$$ on those stainless Volvo Duoprops!! If the link above doesn't work, try this www.hhprop.com/

Blue Thunder
Old 09-28-2007, 12:31 PM   #10
John A. Birdsall

Default propellars

I have used H& H prop and they have done a good job. Last year the spindle I think is called let go. I've wanted to try a four bladed prop, so I bought a composite prop, $79.00 and while I have not gotten any better performance from it, It sure has done a good job for me.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #11
Kamper

Price is generally around 1/3 the cost of a new one. You should expect to get a new hub too.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #12
PaulS

Default General Propeller it is

I called H&H, and they wanted about $500 to fix the props. General Propeller charged $250, including return shipping. The props look great, but I won't be able to try them out until next season. Thanks for the recommendation Charlie T.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote