Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
CanisLupusArctos

Default Lake Flood/Debris Warning

The lake continues slightly above full level and is likely to rise for the foreseeable future. A flood watch is in effect for most of New England including the lakes region, through Wednesday. Heavy rain is expected. Temperatures are expected to be summerlike next weekend, and this will bring the temptation to go boating. It is not a good idea.

Wind-driven waves are already bringing debris into the water. Winds at Black Cat Island reached 39 mph from the southeast today. Waves were averaging about 1 foot with a few waves at 1.5 feet.

The normal amount of iceout debris has been compounded by flood debris this year, and flooding continues to add debris to the water. Some have observed entire sections of dock floating in the waves, and this will continue to happen.

Debris may not be easily visible. Boating at greater than headway speed is not advised until the flood situation is over. Even in calm water, a board can lie flat and its color can nearly match the color of the water, making it nearly invisible until it punctures the hull of your boat or damages your propeller.

With that said, boating on this lake will be extremely hazardous until the lake level recedes and debris has been cleaned up.

Rescue at this time of year will not be quick, because many would-be rescue boats are not yet ready for this year's unexpectedly early boating season.

Furthermore, water temperatures are very cold. Even if air temperatures reach 80 later this week, you will not last long in the 40-degree lake water if a sudden mishap puts you there.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
Blue Thunder (03-28-2010), BroadHopper (03-29-2010), hancoveguy (03-29-2010), Just Sold (03-29-2010), LIforrelaxin (03-28-2010), OCDACTIVE (03-29-2010), Resident 2B (03-28-2010), robmac (03-29-2010), Ropetow (03-29-2010)
Old 03-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

CLA, Very good post you bring up valuable points.... I wonder when the MP will start patrolling the lake and have vessels ready to go....
Old 03-29-2010, 04:50 AM   #3
ApS

Cool Debris?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
"...Debris may not be easily visible..."
...Ummmm...Ummmm...
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:24 AM   #4
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
CLA, Very good post you bring up valuable points.... I wonder when the MP will start patrolling the lake and have vessels ready to go....
Judging from the weekend forecast and CLA's warnings not withstanding, the MP will need to have some kind of a presence on the lake sooner than later.

BT
Old 03-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Glendale

Drove by the Glendale docks this weekend. Marine Patrol has one boat in the water. Several boats used by the islanders are in as well.

Minge Cove marina has several boats in the water. I do not see the Alton rescue boat nor the Lake Tow boat in the water.
LIforrelaxin (03-29-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
CanisLupusArctos

Another point - it is looking more likely that some of our roads will become unstable this week. In early summerlike weather later this week, some may be tempted to tow boats over them, for launch -- not the greatest idea. They may also remember that last year's April heat was all the summer we got until August, and this may further add to an "Enjoy summer now" urgency.

Those who do tow boats over the roads while the ground is still soggy may find the right wheel of the boat trailer being a little too heavy for the rain-weakened road shoulder, and could lose the boat off the side of the road as a result.

I would guess that with so much water still around from the last few storms, and the ground already soggy, we'll probably have a few washouts around the area. Landslides are possible also, where there are steep slopes adjacent to roads.

If you do go on the water in any type of craft, wear a life jacket even if you know how to swim. The cold water will render your muscles useless very quickly. Hypothermia will quickly impair your judgment. Falling in the water right now would be very similar to falling through the ice in wintertime.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (03-29-2010), NoRegrets (03-29-2010), Pineedles (03-29-2010), Ropetow (03-29-2010), SLI (03-29-2010), trfour (03-29-2010)
Old 03-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
NoRegrets

Don't forget the life vests for your pets as well! One with a handle so they can be retrieved.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (03-29-2010), Pineedles (03-29-2010), robmac (03-29-2010), Ropetow (03-29-2010), trfour (03-29-2010), wifi (03-29-2010)
Old 03-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
robmac

other than the ones for my passengers it was a great thing to get for my two for legged kids,you ever try to get a 90lb. lab out while in the broads. Yikes, the handle made it a breeze. Also remember to check fore extinguishers,I always check lights everytime before I get underway. Hope everyone has a long safe and happy boating season.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
CanisLupusArctos

With the lake continuing to rise slowly, and now at 7 inches above full, any waves will pull additional debris into the lake. The lake is now 12 inches below the 1984 flood level. That means 1-foot waves, which are common in windy weather, will reach that record high water mark. As most of us know, waves do get much bigger on the lake. The stronger the wind gets, the bigger the waves get, and the more debris will enter the water.

Items that were stored on the shoreline in the late fall may become afloat or submerged if they haven't already. For anyone leaving a camp for the winter, it would have been unreasonable to expect that the lake would come up this high, this early.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
onlywinni

Looks like I will put off the 2010 maiden voyage for a few weeks....

I was shooting for the last week in April, then I thought about this weekend after seeing the forecast and early ice out..Oh well guess I will finish the landscaping and painting around the house the next few weeks and let the debris and lake levels subside.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlywinni View Post
Looks like I will put off the 2010 maiden voyage for a few weeks....

I was shooting for the last week in April, then I thought about this weekend after seeing the forecast and early ice out..Oh well guess I will finish the landscaping and painting around the house the next few weeks and let the debris and lake levels subside.
Same here.. better to be safe then sorry.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #12
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Minge Cove marina has several boats in the water. I do not see the Alton rescue boat nor the Lake Tow boat in the water.
The Alton rescue boat is at the Eastern plant in Milton for some rework.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
Merrymeeting

Quote:
I was shooting for the last week in April
A friendly reminder I've mentioned in other threads. Be sure to check your insurance policy.

I was surprised to discover a few years ago that mine only covers the boat "in water" from May 1 - Oct 31.

Last edited by Merrymeeting; 03-31-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Limited coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
A friendly reminder I'm mentioned in other threads. Be sure to check your insurance policy.

I was surprised to discover a few years ago that mine only covers the boat "in water" from May 1 - Oct 31.
Glad you mentioned that. My policy says nothing about 'in water' coverage. Just a policy effective date and expiration date. Called the insurance company just in case and they confirmed the boat is covered 24/365. Whether in or out of water. I have boat trailer coverage. I have tow coverage, On and off the water. What I didn't know until now that if I should have motor failure, they will repair or replace the motor! I consider my policy a bargain!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
NoRegrets

We have extended the boating season every year when appropriate into November or December by calling the insurance agent and for no fee they faxed a policy rider extending the date.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:55 PM   #16
onlywinni

I never heard that before about in water dates..learn something new everyday.

My policy has dates for the policy period and nothing else I see.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:07 PM   #17
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

The insurance on my wife's fairly new Whaler is an add-on to our home insurance policy and is good year round.

For the 1976 Slickcraft SS235 we had to get a separate boat policy due to the age of the boat. There is a mandatory lay-up period of Nov 1 through April 1 during which it is supposed to be out of the water. It is still covered for fire/theft during the lay-up.

On another subject, has a no wake rule been called for Winni due to high water??
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:04 AM   #18
Lakegeezer

Default A call for no-wake

The lake is at 504.98 this morning and the dam has been cranked up another notch to 1916 CFS. Who makes the call for a no-wake rule until the water goes back down? There should be few boats this weekend and mostly in fishing boats but why allow the extra erosion? Does DES have the authority to prevent the additional environmental impact?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
Dave R

For those that have docks that are made of wood, do the Mee-n-Mac (I think that's where credit is due) trick and put a couple of trash cans full of water on them so they don't break free and flaot away. I love that idea.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #20
CanisLupusArctos

The water level at Black Cat WeatherCenter (which will be equal to everywhere else on the lake) is now 8 inches above-full, as measured 30 minutes ago. At noontime it was 7.5 inches above full.

Winds today were very light, so waves were small. However, the lake is now within a foot of the all-time high water mark from 1984. It doesn't take much wind to create 1-foot waves on the lake. Those would now reach just above the all-time high water mark.

If this happens, more debris is likely to enter the water.

Fishing boats are becoming more numerous out there now. For the most part, they're either using trolling motors or else just drifting, and appear to be enjoying the fact that they have the lake all to themselves at the moment.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #21
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
For those that have docks that are made of wood, do the Mee-n-Mac (I think that's where credit is due) trick and put a couple of trash cans full of water on them so they don't break free and flaot away. I love that idea.
We have done the Mee-n-Mac several times on our docks. We also put a torx head deck screw in each removable panel after the year they were all trying to float away. It is easier to put the screw in on opening day than to come back after the rain and the wind is blowing. That was a scary day. We are hoping for this Saturday.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #22
bigpatsfan

You have to love the negativity on this board… From posts saying it doesn’t look like we will have enough water in the lake this year… shut the dams down (March 11)… to posts saying we have to much water when is someone going to institute a no-wake order and crank open the dams? (2 weeks later)

I appreciate the warning about debris and how to protect docs and moorings… it is the dire words such as “extremely hazardous”…. that make me chuckle... Really Extremely hazardous…
bigpatsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #23
rick35

Sounds dangerous... so should I stay home Saturday or should I launch for an earliest ever spin around the lake? My guess is there will be a line at the ramp.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:32 AM   #24
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatsfan View Post
You have to love the negativity on this board… From posts saying it doesn’t look like we will have enough water in the lake this year… shut the dams down (March 11)… to posts saying we have to much water when is someone going to institute a no-wake order and crank open the dams? (2 weeks later)

I appreciate the warning about debris and how to protect docs and moorings… it is the dire words such as “extremely hazardous”…. that make me chuckle... Really Extremely hazardous…
"Extremely hazardous" will pale in comparison to "life threatening" if you are the one to hit a piece of debris and your boat sinks in 40 degree water.....
I believe the point of making the strong statement is to remind the person who may be considering the temptation of a trip out on to the water this early in the season to be extra vigilant.

BT
Ropetow (04-02-2010), secondcurve (04-02-2010)
Old 04-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #25
bigpatsfan

We all agree that hitting a piece of debris and having your boat sink in 40 degree water isn’t good. In fact it is just a plain downer.

The point is what are the odds of this occurring?

You will more likely hit a piece of debris knocking off your prop or rudder. Still not fun but it will not sink your boat.

Imagine the force and speed needed to hit a piece of “floating” debris such that it puts a hole in your hull.

This is why these fishing boats are not sinking on a daily basis.

Again I appreciate the warning; I just don’t like the hyperbole.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #26
robmac

If you look at the pic in entry #3 posted by APS,that piece of floating debris is going to do more that ding a prop or a skeg. We tend to forget sometimes how early it is in the season when it's 70 + degrees that it after all is only April 2-4th.

Last edited by robmac; 04-02-2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: oooooppss spelling
Old 04-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #27
bigpatsfan

From what I have read on these boards.

The lake is seven inches above “full lake”.
The lake can shed three to four inches of water a week.

Isn’t “full lake” the ideal lake level? In other words, it would be just dandy if we could control the lake level such that it was always at “full lake.”

It appears that the “powers” that control the lake level are doing their job and by the middle of April we will be well within acceptable levels. Though I am sure that the nay-sayers will be complaining that it is too high… no too low… no to high...

Must be difficult to see the glass half full all the time.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #28
bigpatsfan

I am guessing that debris in the picture... (certainly not floating) would cause damage in 70F or 40F water. So time of year is not the issue.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #29
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
If you look at the pic in entry #3 posted by APS,that piece of floating debris is going to do more that ding a prop or a skeg. We tend to forget sometimes how early it is in the season when it's 70 + degrees that it after all is only April 2-4th.
Is that something really floating?? Looks like rocks at the bottom left of the pic, maybe something along shore. Sometimes the pics that APS finds and posts can be a bit misleading.

Chances are hitting a small log or the typical piece of floating debris is not going to pierce a hull. Often times the boat bumps it and drives it down or out of the way. I have hit plenty of debris in my years of boating and never lost a prop or damaged an outdrive due to a piece of wood in the water. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Common sense is needed.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #30
robmac

I don't know CM but it sure looks like a set of stairs in the water to me.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #31
NHKathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatsfan View Post
I am guessing that debris in the picture... (certainly not floating) would cause damage in 70F or 40F water. So time of year is not the issue.

I think the reference of water temp./time of year is not about damage being caused, but the fact that the water in early April is very cooooold (40's) if you end up in the water somehow... I wouldn't want to go in!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #32
CL 240 LS

Default Bobhouses

Does anyone know if the two sunken bob houses in Meredith have been recovered? These were just of the town docks a couple of weeks ago.
CL 240 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #33
hazelnut

Was out there today and it is BAD! There is debris everywhere. Be very very careful out there.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:52 AM   #34
ApS

Wink It was a "UFO"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
"...Is that something really floating?? Looks like rocks at the bottom left of the pic, maybe something along shore Sometimes the pics that APS finds and posts can be a bit misleading. ...Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Common sense is needed..."
Not having any of my boats registered—as yet—I watched that UFO (Unidentified Floating Object) drift back and forth for a couple of days. (Off Tuftonboro Neck). More debris showed up, so I decided to take a chance.

An hour later, the NHMP saw the only boat on the lake and decided to check my AWOL registration decal. A "safety check" of my boat showed I was in compliance. (Including my red "fire-extinguisher" that was really a can of insect spray!)

Perhaps by noting that my boat was filled with former Winnipesaukee debris (photo below), I was let go with still-one-more NHMP verbal warning story to add to my growing collection of NHMP verbal warning stories.

Yes, that object did turn out to be stairs with a railing. Fortunately, my littlest boat has limited "painted graphics" to risk, so I did a very slow "tow" back to shore. A challenging tow, as those stairs would have made a very good "sea anchor".

One book on sailing fundamentals writes that a set of tapered wooden plugs is a part of your "Essential Safety Equipment".

(Of course, those boats faster than sailboats need "common sense" instead).

No "debris" has beaten the record of one entire 50-foot dock adrift off former Camp Wyanoke's "Lands End"!!!
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #35
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Credit where credit is due.

Quote:
Actually credit should go to FLL as I think he was the first to propose and use that idea. I simply copied him.

At least I think it was him. Certainly wasn't (where's my dock) mcdude.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #36
Dock and Barge

Default Help Missing dock section

One of our customers called today to report that the high water took away there swim platform from their beach. It was a brand new 5x16 floating section with 5 floats and redwood decking. Missing from the 19 mile bay area. Please call if you see this. 9983082
Dock and Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #37
boat_guy64

Default Swim platform

There is a swim platform floating in Meredith Bay right now. Looks like a 6x8 platform. It is in front of Grouse Point and heading towards town. If my boat was in the water, I'd go get it and tied it up. Also a yellow canoe washed up on the Grouse Point Beach a few days ago. Call the office at 279-4757 if it is yours.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #38
NoBozo

Quote:
If you've got a 14 foot aluminum boat you can drag that up on the dock and fill that with water to. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #39
rick35

I was out on the lake today for a few hours and you definitely have to keep a sharp eye for debris. I found a lot of small stuff and a few big branches and 2 by's. There seemed to be more debris between Shep Browns and the Cattle Landing. There were a few pieces here and there between Bear and Merdith and it only takes one hit to ruin your day. On a positive note the camp survived another winter with no branches or limbs down and no signs of mice damage.

Overall I was surprised to see so few people out. The boat launch at Shep Browns was pretty quiet and I only saw one of my neighbors out on his dock on the south end of Bear. There weren't even that many fishermen out. Now that I got that out of my system its back to yard clean up at home.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #40
Rattlesnake Guy

We put the boat in Saturday morning. I can report that I encountered an unusually high level of debris. While I would normally stop to pick up such obstacles, the quantity today seem to make this a futile attempt. The vast majority of it was small bits of trees. Did not see anything big enough to be a problem in my 7 mile drive. First time we opened without the help of one or both sons. We will sleep well tonight.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #41
Dock and Barge

Default Platform Found

Out customer found the floating 5x16 section. When we were out looking we encountered alot of debris including a few dock sections washed up cow island. Keep a lookout.. Thanks
Dock and Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #42
townsde

Default Graveyard Markers Out of Position

There is some debris floating in Melvin Bay and Moultonborough Bay but if you keep a close watch it is avoidable. Once I went throug the Graveyard and out into the Broads the amount of debris increased and so did the size of it so we turned around and headed back slowly.

The final set of markers at the south end of the Graveyard appear to be out of place. The black marker has shifted completely across the channel so if you don't know that area it might be very confusing.
townsde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #43
LIforrelaxin

I stayed dry this week on land.... I watched the debris however and there is definitely plenty of it. Between LI bridge and the Six Pack, there is more then I think I have ever seen. And many pieces definitely big enough to do damage to a hull at planing speed.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #44
trfour

Boaters urged to be extra cautious. http://citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...877/-1/CITIZEN

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:12 AM   #45
ApS

Thumbs up Good Idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
If you've got a 14 foot aluminum boat you can drag that up on the dock and fill that with water too. NB
Maybe filled half-full, but that's a good idea and another way to find a leaking rivet or two. To keep a boat (and trailer) from flying away, that's also a technique useful during hurricane season.

Some times of year, however, it could make a very big ice cube!
Old 04-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #46
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Maybe filled half-full, but that's a good idea and another way to find a leaking rivet or two. To keep a boat (and trailer) from flying away, that's also a technique useful during hurricane season.

Some times of year, however, it could make a very big ice cube!
It makes an even better dog wash tub.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #47
LIforrelaxin

Well now that the DES website is back up and updating again, we can see that the lake is headed down again. Not much mind you but the level is starting a downward trend. I looked quickly and think a saw a high mark at around 505.05 ft, and right now it is at 504.91 a difference of .14 feet or approx 1.6 inches.

Lets hope for no or very little rain over the next week and we should be good to go shortly. I know at this point I can get my dock in and not have water over it, in fact I believe it will be just at the bottom of the frame.....