Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
wendyg

Question Planning first voyage

The captain and I are planning to get on the lake this afternoon. Probably on the water by 5 pm. We were thinking of heading out to Center Harbor and back from Saunder's Bay going between the Witches and Rock Island, between Welch and Fish, around Birch and straight thru to Center Harbor following the Mt Washington Boat Route. We don't plan on stopping to eat, we'll probably eat en route, but am wondering how long of a ride this actually is...want to be back before dark. Opinions...

Thanks
Wendy (First Mate/Navigator)
wendyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyg View Post
The captain and I are planning to get on the lake this afternoon. Probably on the water by 5 pm. We were thinking of heading out to Center Harbor and back from Saunder's Bay going between the Witches and Rock Island, between Welch and Fish, around Birch and straight thru to Center Harbor following the Mt Washington Boat Route. We don't plan on stopping to eat, we'll probably eat en route, but am wondering how long of a ride this actually is...want to be back before dark. Opinions...

Thanks
Wendy (First Mate/Navigator)
I don't think you will have any trouble being back in time (as long as you are on plane).

Have a great day out there!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
OCDACTIVE

First and foremost, congratulations! Very exciting day for you. Please let us know how it goes.

Sounds like a great first ride.. Shouldn't take you more then an hour or two depending, but you should be back in plenty of time before sunset.

Stay safe and have fun!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking First Voyage

Congratulations on your first voyage! Depending on how fast you are traveling, you should be fine. Just keep an eye to your watch.

I assume you do have working navigation lights, just in case? Darkness doesn't just fall and twilight is still very navigable, which could buy you a little more time.

Good luck and have fun!

RG
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
wendyg

Will definitely be keeping an eye on my watch and the skies. The kids are so exicted. Wished we could have goine out earlier, but we'll take what we can get! Can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
Dave R

That's about 24 miles, round-trip. Watch out for the red-topped spars south of Fish. They are WAY out from the island and sometimes hard to spot. Stay "close" to Welch and you'll be fine.

That 250 of yours should be able to do it in under an hour. I imagine it's most efficient (other than at idle speed) at 28 to 35 MPH. Have fun.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Hope you enjoy your first ride. I'll point out that most first time activities take longer than planned.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (06-10-2010)
Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
jrc

Sounds like a great ride, I'm always green with envy for a mid-week ride. Take a camera.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
NoBozo

Default Don't Forget

Small Things: BEFORE you launch the boat..Put The DRAIN PLUG in. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
BEFORE you launch the boat..Put The DRAIN PLUG in. NB
So true... Show of hands how many people have ever done this? (mine is up)

Ok show of hands how many people have done this twice? (I would be not too many )
Old 06-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
wendyg

It's in the valet at MVYC so one would hope they would check that before dropping it in the water!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #12
Kracken

I haven’t forgotten the plug…yet.

2 weeks ago I left the tie-downs on. The genius of that stunt was...I just put them on. I was being anal to actually put the straps on in the first place. I only moved the boat about 100 yards to the ramp.
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
Ropetow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
So true... Show of hands how many people have ever done this? (mine is up)

Ok show of hands how many people have done this twice? (I would be not too many )
Yeah, I forgot the plug once or twice. Luckily it was on a 15-foot Whaler.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
OCDACTIVE

Default hey wendy we were all new once!

This is a good story and just goes to show you even the most well planned excursions with an experienced captain can still go by the way side.

The easiest things are always the easiest forgotten.

Last year when I brought OCD to the lake for the very first time, I was so excited I was shaking. Being the way I am I knew that I may forget something so I had made a list (I have a list for everything LOL hence the name)... Anyway I go through the entire check list, remove safety straps, remove safety chain, check plugs, check gear etc etc. I was slowing myself down just so I wouldn't make an obvious error. I rechecked the list twice.

Finally when I am satisfied I back the boat in. My father jumps in the truck and I get on the tongue to slowly put her in. (thank god no one was around)

I get her rear end floating and the plan is to push her hard, jump on the bow, jump in, start her up and away I go. (I also had a 50ft safty line attached to the bow cleat before someone jumps on me)

Well I get the rear end floating and push hard, she doesn't move an inch. I try again, nothing... I figure she isn't in far enough, I have my dad back down further. The boat is floating at this point and the tires are touching the water and I am up to my knees soaking my pants. I push again and again.. Boat won't go......

I take a step back and think.. I pull my check list out and everything is perfect..

My dad jumps out and asks... Did you take off the winch line?........Oh MY!!! I fogot to unhook it from the trailer!!! It wasn't on the list!!!! LMAO.. To this day I always will remember that. Luckily it wasn't anything major but goes to show you the smallest thing can be over looked even when you are experienced.

So my advice is no matter how excited take a step back and make sure everything is 100%, better yet have a second pair of eyes helping.

OK go ahead and laugh at me..

Does anyone else want to share?
Old 06-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #15
Just Sold

This happened to a family friend (Doc Bissell from Melrose, MA) many years ago. He was on in years then too. He loved to fish.
He had an late 50's early 60's International 4 door truck (looked like it had a lift kit in it) that he towed his boat with. He had it since new and in the early 80's he was backing the trailer in to launch his boat when the brakes on the truck failed.
Yup, the boat, trailer and truck went in the lake. He floated out of the truck and was pulled safely to shore. Shortly there after he had a new Chevy S10 Blazer to tow with but no one would let him launch the boat on his own any more. He had to go with someone who would launch the boat for him.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #16
jayp603

Default congrats

let us know how it went. we want pics!
jayp603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:49 AM   #17
VitaBene

Default Update

Wendy,

we would love to hear an update on your adventure!
Old 06-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #18
wendyg

Default Update on first trip

We had a great first experience on the lake and no major problems. Because of the sky conditions and late start, we changed our plans and decided not to venture up to Center Harbor. It was after 5pm by the time we got the boat in the water and gassed up to go! We wanted to see the boat in the rack and the kids got a kick out of watching the guys put the boat in the water...all part of the first experience! We took a right out of Saunder's Bay and headed out into the Broads past Diamond Island and Rattlesnake. Got to open it up, which was a lot of fun. Noone was on the lake and it was pretty calm considering the skies. We headed back to Governors Island and then came back in. Everyone had a great time! We are looking forward to getting the GPS to help us learn the name's of the Islands and have a heads up on the markers more than anything else. Visualizing them was a bit tricky, but we did just fine and didn't really go into any areas where we encountered a lot of them. Found the Witches, of course, and what we think were the markers around Eagle Island. We didn't go in close enough to identify the lighted buoy, as the skies were really starting to darken up and we decided it was time to head in, cover the boat and get some dinner.

Here were our errors...forgot to shut the blowers off once we started heading out, and forgot to check the batteries. Not any worse then the couple of times we had to pull over with the camper and connect the brake controller...oops! All part of learning something new.

Trying to post pictures...any tips on that!
Old 06-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #19
PC31

Quote:
Here were our errors...forgot to shut the blowers off once we started heading out, and forgot to check the batteries.

I always leave the blowers on so I do not forget to turn them back on when I slow down.

Last edited by PC31; 03-12-2011 at 02:16 PM.
PC31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #20
Dave R

Glad to hear it went well. Those markers sure do shrink out there, don't they?

Regarding bilge blowers... Something I rarely see, but always do before starting my engine is: I put my face right in the output of the bilge blower and take a good, long sniff. There will be a distinctive odor and you'll get used to it. If it ever changes, you'll notice immediately and have no choice but to "pop the hood" and find the source of the change. With luck, this little habit will someday save you from a costly repair or inconvenient breakdown.

Gasoline fumes, God forbid, will be immediately apparent too.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #21
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Trying to post pictures...any tips on that!
Easy! To post pics in a thread, follow these directions:

1. Open up a "Reply to Thread" window.

2. In the area of Additional Options, find Attach Files and click on "Manage Attachments"; a new window will open up called Manage Attachments. Here's where you need to know where your pics are stored on your hard drive.

3. Click the "Browse" button and a new window opens called "Choose File to Upload". Navigate to the location of your stored pics; highlight a file (you can only upload one pic at a time) and click "Open". This window closes.

4. Click the "Upload" button in the Manage Attachments window; a few seconds will pass depending on the size of the file. You'll also see a message in this window, "Uploading File...Please Wait". When this message disappears, you should see the file name you uploaded listed as a Current Attachment.

5. If you have multiple pics to attach, repeat steps 3 & 4 for each picture. If not, just close the window.

6. Type whatever message you intend to post with the pics in the usual message reply window and click "Submit Reply". That's all there is to it!!

I know, it sounds like a lot but once you do the first one, it'll become second nature.

I, too, frequently forget to turn the blower off; that's better than forgetting to turn it ON!! And I've not yet forgotten to install the transom plug but I did forget to remove the transom straps one time; slightly embarrassing but nothing major!
Lucky1 (06-10-2010)
Old 06-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #22
Mee-n-Mac

Exclamation Continuous blowers may not be so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC31 View Post
I always leave the blowers on so I do not forget to turn them back on when I slow down.
Hmmmm, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Not all blowers are made to be operated continuously. I've read that some may overheat if left on too long. Best to know how yours are rated.

http://www.coastalboating.net/Resour...gpageQ105.html
Old 06-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #23
Lucky1

Default Maybe a sunny Saturday morning coming!

Welcome Wendy! I noticed that you just joined in May. Sounds like you and your family will have fun boating together. If it is a new boat and this is your first boating experience with it, then a Saturday morning gets you away from the worry of darkness if The Captain is busy during the work week. It also will offer you a nice chance to get off at Center Harbor where the Red Hill Dairy is just across the street so you can have a fun lunch. Or you could pack a picnic and spread a blanket at the Band Stand and eat there. Remember Bike Week and mosquitos though. I wish you only very happy experiences with the family and the boat
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #24
eillac@dow

Smile

WendyG,

Oh well, the pics are big! But it is a great pic! Nice boat. I am very happy for you. I enjoyed reading this thread from the day you first posted.

Your boat is beautiful. Enjoy it with your family. I would say...just be cautious, but it sounds like you are already there. The members of this forum have given you such great advice.

I wish you alot of fun memories with your new boat.

Have fun and be safe.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #25
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Thumbs up Sea Ray SLX

Wendy glad you enjoyed your maiden voyage. I have a 2007 270 SLX it is a great boat you will love it.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #26
wendyg

More to come...I hope!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #27
VitaBene

Quote:
More to come...I hope!

And that is what it is all about!!
Old 06-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #28
wendyg

Old 06-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #29
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Glad to hear it went well. Those markers sure do shrink out there, don't they?

Regarding bilge blowers... Something I rarely see, but always do before starting my engine is: I put my face right in the output of the bilge blower and take a good, long sniff. There will be a distinctive odor and you'll get used to it. If it ever changes, you'll notice immediately and have no choice but to "pop the hood" and find the source of the change. With luck, this little habit will someday save you from a costly repair or inconvenient breakdown.

Gasoline fumes, God forbid, will be immediately apparent too.
Dave R. as you often do you bring up a good point. Nothing like a good sniff test. I generally pop the hatch every weekend after the cover comes off while I am running the blowers.... I then leave it open start the engine, and do a visual for any leaks.

It all about forming good habits that hopefully someday save you from a rotten voyage.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #30
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Glad to see your out enjoying the lake... Have fun take your time ask questions.... that is what it is all about... There is a guy I know in a Green Four Winns 18' he is all over the lake loves to talk boats and help people out... He looks big ugly and mean... but he is not.... Hope to run into you and your family out there on the water enjoy.........
Old 06-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #31
Rattlesnake Guy

Question about blowers. (Proof it's never too late to be a newbie)

When the engine is running, is the air being consumed and exhausted by the engine generally taken from the engine compartment? Does this consumption act to keep the engine compartment LEL (Lower explosive level) in check as the blower would do if on?

Gasoline needs to reach a concentration by volume of between 1.4% and a max of 7.4% to be explosive.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #32
robmac

In theory yes,the purpose is to vent the compartment so as to not build up excessive fumes. That being said with todays EFI engines if you find you have a high concentration of fumes you have a problem see a service provider.Most issues are with carbuated engines or improper fuel delivery. Back several years a boat was fill via the pump out at which time it made its way into the cuddy,well someone thought it a good idea to take a shop vac to get it out with horrible results. I have an EFI engine and always run the blower prior to starting,might be out of habit or CMA but never had an issue so I'll continue to do so.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #33
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Question about blowers. (Proof it's never too late to be a newbie)

When the engine is running, is the air being consumed and exhausted by the engine generally taken from the engine compartment? Does this consumption act to keep the engine compartment LEL (Lower explosive level) in check as the blower would do if on?

Gasoline needs to reach a concentration by volume of between 1.4% and a max of 7.4% to be explosive.
Gasoline powered inboard or I/O boats are supposed to be designed so that incoming air comes solely through the air inlet hose that ends in the bilge. On-plane, the engine moves more than enough air to keep the potential fumes from getting concentrated enough to be a problem. Off-plane, there's not enough air moving through the engine to safely evacuate fumes, so it's considered good practice to run the blower when not on-plane. Almost no one I know does this though.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #34
Just Sold

Blowers should always be on when starting and be sure to run them right after refueling for 30 sec or a minute before starting. Make sure they are running becuse.....
My ex-sisiter-in-law was on a large cabin cruiser that had just refueled and it exploded when the owner went to start it. It was determined that the blowers failed to run when he turned them on before starting. The owner was severely burned and one other person received less severe burns but was blown into the water. S-I-L and another woman were on the bow and were not burned. Jumped to the pier before the boat was cut free. Made the all the Boston papers - 1980's.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #35
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
Blowers should always be on when starting and be sure to run them right after refueling for 30 sec or a minute before starting. Make sure they are running becuse.....
My ex-sisiter-in-law was on a large cabin cruiser that had just refueled and it exploded when the owner went to start it. It was determined that the blowers failed to run when he turned them on before starting. The owner was severely burned and one other person received less severe burns but was blown into the water. S-I-L and another woman were on the bow and were not burned. Jumped to the pier before the boat was cut free. Made the all the Boston papers - 1980's.
Very likely at my marina at the time (Marina Bay, Quincy). We had a few blow up at the gas dock. I held 400 gallons and ran my blowers 5 minutes after refueling and sniffing the bilge. Gas dock doesn't like it but T/S, it's my butt. Also had a small boat (18') use the old wet/dry vac to vac up some fuel. Burned to the water line.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #36
jrc

I always run the blower for four minutes before I start the engine. The purpose is to clean out any gasoline vapors. If you have a gas leak or vapors are escaping from your engine, carbuerator or old hoses, the vapors build up in the engine room and the spark from the starter can cause an expolsion. It happens at least once or twice a season in the country.

Even better is to sniff the engine room before starting or if that's too tough sniff the blower exhaust.

I don't run the blowers after the engine starts, even at idle speed. The engine is sucking 5.7 liters of air every two revolutions, any vapors will be consummed. Can't hurt to leave the blowers, on just wears them out faster.

When fueling you have to be extra careful, because now you have vapor generated by the fuel nozzle. I turn the blowers off during pumping, otherwise they might suck in vapors from the nozzle. After the pumping is complete, I turn on the blower while I go in and pay, at least 4 minutes.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #37
FullHouse

Default Welcome to the Lake and MVYC

WendyG
Glad to hear the first voyage went well. Believe me everyday on the lake is a learning experience don't take anyhting for granted like'....I am sure he knows I have the right of way.' You'll enjoy MVYC's location. It is central to everything. Give a wave next time you are heading out we are the first boat you'll see on the left as soon as you leave the valet docks. Hey, maybe if the sun comes again we'll all be able enjoy the lake.
FullHouse is offline   Reply With Quote